• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Free Versions of Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I heard somebody say this before:

You will need to be responsible for your licenses of programs and assets you use because mine are all commercially free. Know this game will be created with the intention to sell, so no student versions of 3ds, or pirated photoshops.

Why can't you use student versions, free versions, etc. for tasks with the intent to sell them? Being a student version, is there some kind of agreement in the terms that it cannot be used for making money? How can they know? If you make money off a game, does anyone have the right to confiscate your laptop or on any grounds to assume you have free/student versions of programs on your laptop?

Few questions. Even if somebody could cover the basics of rights/laws/agreements of student/free versions or programs, I would appreciate it.

Level 23
I think it is not really issue, unless they explicitly state to not use it for comercial use or getting money off of things made by that proram.

I dont think the developers of Blender for instance would mind you making models in it and making money off of game you put the models from blender into it.

The same goes for things like Ogre3D, hell Torchlight and Trochlight 2 are made in Ogre and did they have any problems? Well not that I know of

This is my opinion on this tho

Level 45
I heard somebody say this before:

Why can't you use student versions, free versions, etc. for tasks with the intent to sell them? Being a student version, is there some kind of agreement in the terms that it cannot be used for making money? How can they know? If you make money off a game, does anyone have the right to confiscate your laptop or on any grounds to assume you have free/student versions of programs on your laptop?

Few questions. Even if somebody could cover the basics of rights/laws/agreements of student/free versions or programs, I would appreciate it.

From what I have read, is that autodesk monitors the use of your content files and embeds them with some sort of tag stating which license it was made with. If your work is found to be used in commercial games/gains, they may take you to court for... ??? reason or either ban your/and your future student licenses.

Level 23
that is not necessarily true, as I said, you have open source free 3D graphics library Ogre3D which is used in Torchlight and Torchlight 2 and those are sold on Steam, and it doesnt seem developers of Ogre3D have problem with that

It varies from software to software imo

Status
Not open for further replies.