• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Role Playing Game] EmberCraft - Total Conversion ARPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
logo-new-png.316203

• ABOUT •

EmberCraft is a total-conversion isometric ARPG map. The project aims to bring the quality of industry level ARPG games into a Warcraft 3 map. It promises enjoyable monster slaying experience with flashy special effects and fully-fledged top down action mechanism.

• FEATURES •

1. Classes
Select from 2* classes each with unique specialization and 3 skill-sets to combine to your liking.

2. Dungeons
Dwell into randomly-generated dungeons filled with vicious monsters and other threats. Clear out the dungeon and slay almighty bosses waiting at the end of every stage*.

3. Pets
Collect pets, train, and gear'em up to make them stronger! Utilize your pet to help in battle, carry stuffs, and sell goods back at the town when you are out adventuring!

4. Co-op Multiplayer
Bring your friends to help you eradicate those monsters! The game difficulty will be adjusted based on how many players playing. The map is fully playable both in single player and multiplayer mode!

5. Item System
Collect rare weapons and armors, insert mystical gems, and upgrade each gear to strengthen your character!

6. Others
The map supports tons of features required to make an excellent RPG and to enhance player's experience!

• MAP FACTS •

- Maximum level: 100
- Dungeon variation: 3
- Monster variation: 51
- Item count: 81
- Playable classes: 2
- Skill/ability count: 55

• MEDIA •

• UPDATE LOG •

• • •

Created by

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
Join our discord!

We will share the map's development progress here. As we will let the main thread sink down until the map is fully developed.

Let's start with something.
We are currently improving the visual quality yet again by incorporating fancy local lights and simple day/night cycle. We are also working on a new intro scene and new character creation module.
ss2.png

ss1.png

Last edited:
Level 8
What a pity, that this I think good project does not run on the updated patches.
I looked at the images, I with will playing.

Level 38
Intense is a weird quality for items, doubly so because it’s not the best. I would recommend something like moving superior to be 4 (above high) and then calling tier 5 “master”, “masterwork”, “pristine”, “perfect”, “incredible”, “flawless”, or something similar.

Alternatively keep superior at 5 and change intense to “refined”, “improved”, etc.

Kazeon

Level 33
Update!

The new intro and character creation scene are almost done! The game now has new logo. And we have added some pets. Player will get a free one at the beginning, but they can obtain a better one mid-game. The console UI has been removed to maximize player's view port as well.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

What a pity, that this I think good project does not run on the updated patches.
I looked at the images, I with will playing.
The map will run on newer patches. The pics above were taken on 1.30.4.

Intense is a weird quality for items, doubly so because it’s not the best. I would recommend something like moving superior to be 4 (above high) and then calling tier 5 “master”, “masterwork”, “pristine”, “perfect”, “incredible”, “flawless”, or something similar.

Alternatively keep superior at 5 and change intense to “refined”, “improved”, etc.
Thanks! We will look into your suggestions.

Pretty impressive looking mechanics and UI. I'll be checking in on this one from time to time. Good luck
Thank you very much.

Kazeon

Level 33
Wow you can be a knight with a goat?
I do not remember seeing any game with that before.(there is probably a mmporpg with that)
We will make "pet collection" a thing in this map. Each pet will have special skill(s) and supportive buff(s). Player will be able to train it, get it better equipment, and make it stronger. At the beginning they will be given a "normal" creature as free pet (dog, elk, snake, etc.), but later they can obtain stronger beasts.

EDIT:
@everyone: the map presentation will be looking weird for sometimes as I will be reconstructing it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Level 8
Do you have an estimated release date for this version?
Will the game have other classes? Which are?
Will have items that will enchant pets? And also for other items?

Kazeon

Level 33
Added camera shake system to intensify combat experience!
shake.gif

Do you have an estimated release date for this version?
Will the game have other classes? Which are?
Will have items that will enchant pets? And also for other items?
Not currently.
The next version will have new class which is the Archer. We also have other classes planned but that will come later.
Your pet will have its own inventory and you can equip gears on it. But that will be done later. We are focusing on the core features first before adding extra features.

Looks amazing. Can't wait to play it!
Thank you so much!

Level 14
I hate very very very very intensely camera shaking during fights.
It is bad for gameplay(you have an harder time clicking on the right spot for no reason) and reduce visibility and does not feels as improving the experience.
It have only negative aspects.
It is basically the game deciding "there is a fight so I will prevent you from seeing it normally and reduce your accuracy by kicking you in the head repetitively even through it does not makes sense that witnessing a fight would kick heads at a range"

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I highly disagree.

If you cannot click on a unit while the camera is slightly shaking you have some sort of condition.
Similarly, if it reduces your vision to the point where it impacts gameplay you have some sort of vision problem.

Of course it does not HELP, but it does increase immersion for the price of a very slight inconvenience. And if you are playing competitively where every microsecond matters I would not want this.
In every other scenario I would.

Most games with a shake feature has it as optional, that is a easy fix regardless.

Level 14
I highly disagree.

If you cannot click on a unit while the camera is slightly shaking you have some sort of condition.
Similarly, if it reduces your vision to the point where it impacts gameplay you have some sort of vision problem.

Of course it does not HELP, but it does increase immersion for the price of a very slight inconvenience. And if you are playing competitively where every microsecond matters I would not want this.
In every other scenario I would.

Most games with a shake feature has it as optional, that is a easy fix regardless.
It decrease immersion: in real life watching a fight from far does not kicks you in the head repetitively nor does it makes you shake in any way.
If it was in first person fight it would make sense to have a shaking camera when you take hits but it does makes negative amounts of sense to have it happen in a third person sight game.
Also it is not just about clicking on an unit.
imagine you are trying to fit an aoe on as many units as possible: a shaking camera might make you miss one unit on the borders of the aoe.
If you want to teleport as far as possible but need to teleport immediately(example: you are on a place that will soon be hit by a massive flame strike and many units are pursuing you) a shaking camera might make a blink close to the limit get beyond the limit(and so your unit walks first and so takes the flamestrike) or you do it safely and so lost significant amounts of blink range in your retreat.(probably around 50 blink range if the shaking adds an incertitude of 20)

Furthermore the more an effect is used the less interesting it is so if it happens in all the fights it becomes boring after less than one hour while if it is used only on special occasions it does not becomes boring as fast (for example if it happens only after you beat a specific boss and you watch the dungeon fall apart quickly(skippable cinematic of course) you are not bored by the effect).

Also shaking camera increase the rate at which the players tire so while after a few minutes it does not makes a difference after a few hours of fighting a shaking camera could make the players significantly more tired.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
if you are kicked hard enough in the head the world will (seem to) shake.
If a bomb explodes nearby the ground will literary tremble which makes your perception shake due the ground you stand on.

I do not see how this is any different from a camera shake when you cast EARTH QUAKE on Thrall.

If you think of it as the world shaking rather than the camera it makes a lot of sense.

Level 14
The difference is that earth quake is a long cool down spell that you usually do not spam.(and I still dislike the shaking on earth quake) and also it does not makes sense to make the entire earth shake just by throwing a blue beam(I mean it looks like an energy attack and such attack normally does not makes the earth shake) and not have a massive disruptive effect on the buildings.
Also I said that camera shaking on taking hits makes sense in first person but not in third person because in third person you are not the one taking the hits.
I think that in general effects that makes the earth shake should be effects that have that in their description.

Kazeon

Level 33
The difference is that earth quake is a long cool down spell that you usually do not spam.(and I still dislike the shaking on earth quake) and also it does not makes sense to make the entire earth shake just by throwing a blue beam(I mean it looks like an energy attack and such attack normally does not makes the earth shake) and not have a massive disruptive effect on the buildings.
Also I said that camera shaking on taking hits makes sense in first person but not in third person because in third person you are not the one taking the hits.
I think that in general effects that makes the earth shake should be effects that have that in their description.
The shake in the preview was caused by critical hit (blue damage text), not by the spell. The spell itself will cause super tiny shake to indicate that it's such a highly intense energy, but definitely much smaller than what's shown in the pic.

Kazeon

Level 33
Played a lot with lightning today. I have improved the lightning job for both special effects and environmental effects.

Special effects:
Lightning.gif

Environment:
Dungeon.png

Not only that, combat voices for monsters have been added to intensify battle experience even more! The basic control has been improved as well (powered by the new natives). And I expect to provide two versions of the map in the future: legacy and original version. Legacy version will allow you to play the map on older patches but with less convenient control. Original version will have all the benefits of the new natives and future WC3 updates.

That's all for now. Stay tuned!

Kazeon

Level 33
Update!

@Mythic has joined the team as SFX Producer! He will be making super cool special effects and help with some 3D model related things! Several days in and he already made some great stuffs!

We also made a BIG reconstruction in the item system, making it much more flexible, much easier to manage, and much faster to add new items! It now also has a function to enable/disable item collider so when in combat, you can disable it to avoid unwanted misclick on items. When enabled, items name and rarity will be displayed on top of each dropped item.

The map's been progressing real fast lately! I also have updated the main post with some images from previous progress reports and bunch of new cool screenshots. Go check it out!

Well, this looks fucking amazing.
Thank you very much! Make sure to always follow the map's development and maybe join our discord channel : )

Level 14
Those effects are amazing. You definitely got yourself one of the best effect makers out there. Can't wait to see how this project progresses. Pushing the limits of WC3 is pretty amazing to see.

Kazeon

Level 33
Update:

The map is still under highly intensive development! I'm currently balancing out the gameplay, hunting hidden nasty bugs, and adding necessary new features to make sure the map is in absolute prime condition when it's published!

I have added over 100 new items to the map. Both Knight and Archer classes are now completely playable by up to level 100! You can now grind up your skill levels, this new feature really adds new dimension to the map! A lot of crucial optimizations have been made to make the map performs significantly better than ever! My friend @PrinceYaser is currently making some missing icons for those items. While he's doing his thing, I will do my best to improve the map. I still have quite a lot of stuffs to work on, but I will hereby say that the map is very close to completion, finally after so long! :D

That's all for now. Stay tuned!

Kazeon

Level 33
Announcement:

We will arrange a closed beta testing anytime in between 3 up to 7 days from now. All core features (other than item upgrade system) are done. But I will just take a little more time to balance things out, make some quality of life improvements, and add some convenient features.

If you are interested to take part in this closed group testing, join our discord channel (link is in my signature) and get notified when we arrange the multiplayer testing.

While we are at it, here's a nice improvement made by @Mythic:
He makes adding "custom animation" possible for this map, that's a very nice improvement! Give him a round of applause everyone :D

@PrinceYaser is also working hard to finish my irresponsible request of tons of icons before the release date :'D But he's still able to keep up excellent and high quality pieces of works so far! Recognize the greatness!
btnarmort8helmet-png.320392
btnarmort8pants-png.320402
btnarmort8gloves-png.320548

btnarmort4helmet-png.320549
btnarmort4chest-png.319674
btnarmort1shield-png.319906

That's all for now. Thank you for your kind attention!

Thank you for the heads up, Quilnez!

Btw, I must note that some few icons might be heavily referenced sometimes. These two could be mostly considered 'heavily referenced':
From PoE. Saving credits indeed.

I'm saying 'heavily referenced' because their look are approximately like their references, not that they are copied or traced. They're all drawn from scratch - An early note just to avoid further confusion.

And yeah, Quilnez is also doin' a wonderful job developing the map! We're only some mystic fellow padawans!

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I tried the demo earlier on, what amazing progress has been made!

I hope you have a good idea for the lore of the map :). I think it can be amazing if you put it within some exciting setting or maybe in Second War of warcraft, so we can meet Blackmoore, Lorthar, Uther (young), Gul'dan etc. With Warcraft 2 just rereleased on GoG it would be a good way to get hype.

Kazeon

Level 33
I tried the demo earlier on, what amazing progress has been made!

I hope you have a good idea for the lore of the map :). I think it can be amazing if you put it within some exciting setting or maybe in Second War of warcraft, so we can meet Blackmoore, Lorthar, Uther (young), Gul'dan etc. With Warcraft 2 just rereleased on GoG it would be a good way to get hype.
I have a plan to add a storyline to the map much later, just like Torchlight 2, using procedural generation to always generate different world on each play. But most likely it will be a custom plot that is not related to Warcraft lore at all. But it will be something for the very distant future. Maybe it will be separate map version/extension, can't be sure yet.

Kazeon

Level 33
Nice, but please use another sound for start and fail. These (standard Bnet sounds) are too intrusive and will quickly grow annoying. Otherwise, great job!
I, who rarely open the battle net, find those sound just fine and fit nicely. But okay, I will try to find better ones. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:
The upgrade start sound effect is annoying af alright. I will change that.

Kazeon

Level 33
Hello people,

We will eventually delay the testing phase without certain delay time. As the infamous @PROXY has joined the development team as 3D Artist! It opens up a whole bunch of new opportunities to improve the map! We are planning to re-design the 3rd new dungeon (Blazing Chamber) and make it a lot shinier!

Dungeon illustration:

We will do our best to get as close as possible to that illustration pic, it's going to be blazing good!

Meanwhile, @Mythic is working on bunch of fancy gear upgrade effects! Prepare yourselves!

h-w-02.gif

I'm starting to worry that @Mythic will outperform me. Daym! :D

Anyway, stay tuned people!

Kazeon

Level 33
After so long! We have finally uploaded the pre-release versions to spot and fix critical bugs, before releasing the full version to public. You can download and test the map in this link:

EmberCraft Download | HIVE

If you have bug reports/suggestions/ideas don't hesitate to post it here or on our discord channel. Thanks in advance!

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Well done! Good changes. In my opinion the attack speed for both classes is a bit too slow now. It feels unresponsive even though it isn't, which is why I thought it was bugged at first. Especially Knight needs a buff. Maybe 0.2 second increase should do the trick for him and a bit less for ranger.

Level 8
I had a unique experience with this game. A very different game, from traditional Warcraft 3. Attack directly with left mouse button, space pick up items. Although more tiring to be clicking right mouse button to walk in this game, by I think not interact directly on the minimap than in Warcraft 3.

I liked it and know it will have a long development yet. But I'll put some suggestions here, even though I do not know if pass the limit of the Warcraft 3
  • Auto-save when character is in safe place, like in town, like at the beginning of dungeon.
  • Do not need to open inventory to know the amount of potion that character carry.
  • Preview the items, and other things when you mouse over it.
  • Can walk on W, S, A and D and attack with hotkey. That for me would make the game less tiring.
Respect the decision but for me is boring, depending too much on the potions to succeed in the game.

• Do not need to open inventory to know the amount of potion that character carry.
Agreed. Perhaps the numbers could be placed beside the 'Z' and 'X' hotkey indicators for the resource globes.
  • Can walk on W, S, A and D and attack with hotkey. That for me would make the game less tiring.
+1. WC3 has trouble updating mouse coordinates, so this would make for a more stable alternate movement system.

Kazeon

Level 33
Well done! Good changes. In my opinion the attack speed for both classes is a bit too slow now. It feels unresponsive even though it isn't, which is why I thought it was bugged at first. Especially Knight needs a buff. Maybe 0.2 second increase should do the trick for him and a bit less for ranger.
I will consider increasing default attack rate.

Although more tiring to be clicking right mouse button to walk in this game
You can hold right click to keep moving.

Auto-save when character is in safe place, like in town, like at the beginning of dungeon.
It used to have that feature, but then decided to disable it for some reason. But I will consider bringing it back.

Respect the decision but for me is boring, depending too much on the potions to succeed in the game.
The map still needs a lot of balancing. We have just done with the core systems so it's just starting up. Suggestion to improve it is very welcome.

+1. WC3 has trouble updating mouse coordinates, so this would make for a more stable alternate movement system.
I heard they improved the way it works in 1.31 though.

Level 8
Do you have someone on the team know how to manipulate sounds?
I noticed that you imported resources from other Blizzard games. Why do not you import sounds from drops of Diablo games?
The sounds of drops of items and gold from Diablo 2 I think cool.

Kazeon

Level 33
Update

Version 0.99f is out with fix to "save later" desync and a couple of minor improvements.

Paste: EmberCraft Pre-release Version Download | HIVE
Direct download: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/embercraft-v0-99f-w3x.322129/

Do you have someone on the team know how to manipulate sounds?
I noticed that you imported resources from other Blizzard games. Why do not you import sounds from drops of Diablo games?
The sounds of drops of items and gold from Diablo 2 I think cool.
I know how to do it. But I happen not to prioritize "sound" atm. But will surely improve it later. : )

Kazeon

Level 33
Update:

Version 0.99g is out with some hotfixes and new features. This will be the last pre-release version.
- Added upgrade effects for bow weapon
- Team flash is now skipped
- Now can close upgrade window by pressing Esc
- Fixed tooltips overlaps with character window
- Added M as hotkey to toggle minimap (in dungeon only)
- Fixed upgrade animation still playing when the window is closed
- Added "Drop Rate" as dungeon stats modifier
- Fixed "Gold Rate" modifier is not properly applied

Paste: EmberCraft Pre-release Version Download | HIVE
Download: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/embercraft-v0-99g-w3x.322231/

Upgrade effects preview:
upgrade.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.