• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Discussion] Dreams about WarCraft IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do u think to WC4 will ever bee done. What would u like to see and what don't.
How should story go, graphic look like, races spells what ever.

Me personaly:
I wouldn't like to graphic be something epic like for SCII I would like something classic mostly for lore lovers, and totaly would like to be completly playeble for single players, not something like WoW or SCII, but that will not bring money for blizzard that much so they do not care what we want (mostly), also I would like few new races and some better systems for inventory and spells. Would like and some arenas for fun like in WoW but in WC3 stile.

What about u?

Level 6
My opinion is same as you guys: New races, better inventory and spells specially the arena that was a great idea.
And about the races im a little clumsy about them cuz blizzardd made a shitload of races for wc3 and they only make 4 of em playable

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What would u like to see and what don't.
Better scripting support. Galaxy is a start but I would prefer if it was more C compilent and included real pointers, typecasting and standard functions like malloc.

How should story go
WarCraft story is dead. WoW killed it.

graphic look like
A combination between WoW and WC3. You could have people running an economy (building cities etc) from a RTS view while other people are in third person view playing heroes. and managing squads of troops. Match length should vary from short (one settlement with little distance and only 1-2 hero players each side) to epic (4-6 factions with like 12 heroes each. I know it is very different from WarCraft III but it would be the only way to continue from a series that has spent the last 6-8 years as a MMORPG. It would combie elements of AoS, MMORPG and RTS.

An interesting feature could be extended games. Games that run for hours but sides are allowed to constantly top up their player pool if people leave. Ranking is done less on wins and more on combat performance. The less you lose and the more you kill, the more rank you get. Using such a system it would be possible to match people with similar micro and macro skills.

RTS players would need to focuse on troop production, static defenses and economy. This would be much harder than WC3 as there could be extra resources to consider and all of them would need some micro management (like gold mines running out). The tech tree would also be slightly larger to commodate the fact that a person prety much has to city build all the time.

Fighter players would have the option to play third person similar to WoW with a stratergy view like in WC3 for overviewing combat. They control 1 hero each which has a much more complex ability system than in WC3. In addition to his hero spells and heroes, he has to manage squads of units. Although basic combat is done via AI, he will have to choose the AI behaviour and micro powerful skills. Skills could be cast similar to Diablo III where a touch of a button over a target suffices. Both hero and squad spells are cast like this. Individual units can also be ordered just like in WC3 for even more micro control although they will still have some AI (such as not being able to get too far away from the hero before retreating to him).

Level 8
Better scripting support. Galaxy is a start but I would prefer if it was more C compilent and included real pointers, typecasting and standard functions like malloc.

WarCraft story is dead. WoW killed it.

A combination between WoW and WC3. You could have people running an economy (building cities etc) from a RTS view while other people are in third person view playing heroes. and managing squads of troops. Match length should vary from short (one settlement with little distance and only 1-2 hero players each side) to epic (4-6 factions with like 12 heroes each. I know it is very different from WarCraft III but it would be the only way to continue from a series that has spent the last 6-8 years as a MMORPG. It would combie elements of AoS, MMORPG and RTS.

An interesting feature could be extended games. Games that run for hours but sides are allowed to constantly top up their player pool if people leave. Ranking is done less on wins and more on combat performance. The less you lose and the more you kill, the more rank you get. Using such a system it would be possible to match people with similar micro and macro skills.

RTS players would need to focuse on troop production, static defenses and economy. This would be much harder than WC3 as there could be extra resources to consider and all of them would need some micro management (like gold mines running out). The tech tree would also be slightly larger to commodate the fact that a person prety much has to city build all the time.

Fighter players would have the option to play third person similar to WoW with a stratergy view like in WC3 for overviewing combat. They control 1 hero each which has a much more complex ability system than in WC3. In addition to his hero spells and heroes, he has to manage squads of units. Although basic combat is done via AI, he will have to choose the AI behaviour and micro powerful skills. Skills could be cast similar to Diablo III where a touch of a button over a target suffices. Both hero and squad spells are cast like this. Individual units can also be ordered just like in WC3 for even more micro control although they will still have some AI (such as not being able to get too far away from the hero before retreating to him).

nice ideas

i would pay $1000 if WC4 came out..

Level 18
Well this thread is actually a good idea.. Blizzard has no reason to make Warcraft 4, it's kinda outdated at the moment. WoW killed the Story and it has also still a lot of players. Beside of that facts Blizzard only creates Games that bring some cash, like long anticipated Diablo3.. So there's nearly no chance that we'll get Wc4.

This topic could be used to gather some willing people that want to create a cool Wc4-ish Game. It needn't to be Wc4 directly, we could rename it in something similar, etc. But we could make our dreams come true, if we manage to find enough people that are gonna develop Wc4.

I would suggest Unity as an Engine, because it's easy to use for the programmers. Every JASS Coder will have it easy to set up things in there. Because of that we're able to create some powerfull stuff in that. The graphics aren't that bad too, and it's almost better than WoW, I guess that's enough performance. Beside of that fact we can work with a totally free version of Unity and create everything without spending money. We could even earn money with that, commercial stuff is also allowed, again "for free". If we like to we could even buy the Pro version later for more features.

So there might be a countable chance to get some people up for working on Wc4. Well maybe I can help a bit with Models, or some small coding stuff.. I'm currently developing some small games with Unity, and it has nearly no limits and it's pretty easy to learn.

Level 25
Warcraft: Origins perhaps ;)?

You can always tell stories untold or related to a certain region in a certain time period in the past.

We have seen this a lot recently, especially in movies and it has proven to be quite nice in most of the cases.

But yes, i know several WoW players who are my friends and they all agree WoW killed the story.

Level 20
Warcraft IV is a thing I have been dreaming since 2007 that i started playing wc3 on b.net lol

1. -Graphics Upgrade
  2. -New Triggers in WE
    • Player presses/releases A,B,C... Event
    • Mouse Point Detection Action
  3. -New HQ Models
  4. -New HQ Icons
  5. -New Abilities
  6. -Many other things that i can't thing now:)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
if they did those on SC2 then why update WC3 and add them here too?
Because it would be cheaper to port WC3 to SC2 than do that? WC3 engine is programing garbage that they cannot maintain nor have the resources to maintain.

unless it gets more Popular then WC3 and WC3 dies or a massive amount of WC3 players move to SC2:p
WC3 is dead compared to SC2 as most people have moved or stopped playing.

Level 31
Wow has LOADS of storylines. And really now, "Killing Illidan?", "Killing Arthas" and that kind of shit is normal. It's a game. Villain dies. Get over it.

that's not true. in WoW, bad guys pretty much never win. when the next "big bad destructor of the world evil" comes up it dosn't really matter because it's just blizzard killing off another one of their good chars, only to be replaced by some retarded mary sue shit. the storyline has degraded to be awful, really cliche in most cases, and mary sue.

just by looking at a lot of cataclysm quests, blizzard barely take's wow seriously anymore. i mean they replaced the Dalaran Internment Camp, which never played a major part in WoW but was still an important lore relic, and just replaced it with a fucking plants vs zombies quest wtf???????

plus, in warcraft 3, villian's did not just "die". i mean you destroyed lordaeron yourself, the "good guys". and it took the combined forces of humans, orcs, and nelves to defeat archimonde.

so yeah sorry, wow's storyline sucks. a lot of the characters are terrible, all the old characters from the warcraft games have been ruined and killed off, and the LOADS storylines are so bad and predictable.

Level 14
Seriously guys. This again? Ugh.

Look.........if this game will exist, it will not exist because Blizzard found inspiration and want to continue the series with their passion. They will just make the game because they know it will sell. They will just... send the art team on the toilet, and while they shit they brain storm shitty ideas.
Than the coders will just... code. Cold, lifeless coding. I don't blame the coders, and I don't blame the art team either. I only blame Blizzard leadership. They have lost passion for their games. They lost passion to push things forward. All their new games are not actually games, they are more or less some kind of market place.
It's not enough that you pay for the game, you have to pay a monthly sub, or get money from your map making skills, or money from the RMAH.

You might think it's great that Blizzard uses money as incentive for players to create maps and get rewarded for it, but in fact, it's about Blizzard /hiring/ people to do content, which sells on /their market/ and Blizzard gains a profit. Blizzard /games/ are just products you pay highest price for, and which have an alternate way Blizzard gains profit from. For me these pieces of crap are anything but real games.

A real game is Torchlight 2, it's Assassins Creed, it's the Sims, it's a game where you pay for it once and it's yours and do not represent gateways for the company to get more money. Even League of Legends is a real game, because although it has a lot of micro-transactions it is FREE TO PLAY.

But Blizzard /games/ are more of gateways or methods for Blizz to make even more money through them. Through you playing them, beyond the initial purchase.

So seriously, what if Wacraft 4 will come? It will just have shit ideas brainstormed while on the toilet with an extra flavor of alternate money grabbing scheme.

Blizzard games are no longer anywhere of being close to a piece of art, like some of their older games were.

To be short, in SC2 the story seems a chain of cheap tv shows + movie moments all linked together to make one big shit.

Why would I want or care for Warcraft 4? Do I need my fix of fantasy? I need my fix of orcs and elves?

Or do I want to play a real game?

Level 17
blizzard should just release an update to the modding engine enabling a lot more features this way talented people will be able to enchance popular wc3 maps like dota bringing in more players. as a result this will crush competitors like valve and the lol guys who have nothing better to do than copy mods opening the market for blizzard to release their blizzard dota or whatever.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
blizzard should just release an update to the modding engine enabling a lot more features this way talented people will be able to enchance popular wc3 maps like dota bringing in more players. as a result this will crush competitors like valve and the lol guys who have nothing better to do than copy mods opening the market for blizzard to release their blizzard dota or whatever.
Who is going to pay them to rewrite the WarCraft III engine?

Seriously guys. This again? Ugh.

Look.........if this game will exist, it will not exist because Blizzard found inspiration and want to continue the series with their passion. They will just make the game because they know it will sell. They will just... send the art team on the toilet, and while they shit they brain storm shitty ideas.
Than the coders will just... code. Cold, lifeless coding. I don't blame the coders, and I don't blame the art team either. I only blame Blizzard leadership. They have lost passion for their games. They lost passion to push things forward. All their new games are not actually games, they are more or less some kind of market place.
It's not enough that you pay for the game, you have to pay a monthly sub, or get money from your map making skills, or money from the RMAH.

You might think it's great that Blizzard uses money as incentive for players to create maps and get rewarded for it, but in fact, it's about Blizzard /hiring/ people to do content, which sells on /their market/ and Blizzard gains a profit. Blizzard /games/ are just products you pay highest price for, and which have an alternate way Blizzard gains profit from. For me these pieces of crap are anything but real games.

A real game is Torchlight 2, it's Assassins Creed, it's the Sims, it's a game where you pay for it once and it's yours and do not represent gateways for the company to get more money. Even League of Legends is a real game, because although it has a lot of micro-transactions it is FREE TO PLAY.

But Blizzard /games/ are more of gateways or methods for Blizz to make even more money through them. Through you playing them, beyond the initial purchase.

So seriously, what if Wacraft 4 will come? It will just have shit ideas brainstormed while on the toilet with an extra flavor of alternate money grabbing scheme.

Blizzard games are no longer anywhere of being close to a piece of art, like some of their older games were.

To be short, in SC2 the story seems a chain of cheap tv shows + movie moments all linked together to make one big shit.

Why would I want or care for Warcraft 4? Do I need my fix of fantasy? I need my fix of orcs and elves?

Or do I want to play a real game?

Although I completely agree with your first point, I tend to disagree with the Free-to-Play one. Just because all of a sudden a new trend of free-to-play games has been introduced to the public, it doesn't mean that it will underlie as a comparing measure to what's real game or not. Purchasing the games that we play has been a tradition all these years and it felt natural, because there was no one else distributing his games with a single download. Additionally, when the companies discovered that a new campaign of copied games have been lying in the underground, some of them decided to make their games free, but certain features of the game would be unlocked if you payed.

However, I really don't think that a game is definied by its financial operation behind it (i mean its fair image), it's all about the concept and the impact to the public (and how well its advertising was executed). The classic approach to upgrading the gaming generation is to boost the graphics and allow extremely flexible engines, with more real-time features. As a player, I also want super high definition graphics for the game I play, because graphics is what attracts me in the first place.

As for the concepts, I don't even know if there has been made any progress in Warcraft IV, not official, simply one lead concept artist and Chris Metzen himself to visualize something for it. Would this involve new races, would this involve the same races with new events, would this involve a certain moment from the World of Warcraft and the chance to expand that specific chapter into a whole new game?
Nevertheless, Blizzard always seems to find the way to gain new and old players. The reason why her new moves seem to be old-fashioned is because the recently uprisen games bear the same lore, the same classes, the same characters, the same art, to an extent that it has become too common to swallow.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I believe his point was exactly that Blizzard's games have been losing quality overall while suggestively giving them alternate ways of gaining money beyond the first purchase, after the commercial success of World of Warcraft. Diablo III seemed like a disappointment and I've read a few rants here around the forum. As for StarCraft II, with the downsides of the complex Editor, there's so little variety of maps that it'll be a shame if we have to pay for the few good ones.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem with StarCraft II is not the editor complxity, but the trigger simplicity. Even though the trigger system is better than WarCraft III in some ways, it is worse than it in others.

Until they add proper pointers and malloc support, it will remain a troublesome ground to cross.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I am quite positive that the reason so little variety of maps have been made for StarCraft II is the complexity of the Data Editor — besides, people rant about that all the time. I am unaware of the situation with triggers, though I'm sad to hear there are problems with those too.

Level 3
What would I like to see happen?

The usual update the old races, new units and spells, and maybe one new faction...but perhaps the most controversial commentary I would say on this subject is "retcon everything WoW did storywise."

I'll admit I avoid WoW like Bubonic Plague, but that doesn't mean I hear what goes on. At the rate WoW is killing off WCIII/Possible previous Warcraft characters, I'll be surprised if there's even a cast left by the time a hypothetical WC IV comes around.

Of course I'd also say that retconning out some of the more stupid moments WoW had should go side by side, but I think others are in a better position to elaborate on them. Going by what I've read though, there's (apparently) Thrall removing someone from leadership - and then making them leader again, and the death of Arthas.

Level 11
Wow ruined the game its very simple.

What I would like Blizzard to do is in Warcraft IV (if it will be coming out...ever (which I doubt))
But I agree The story line is ruined, and I dont know how theyare going to fix it (which they probally cant) even if they make it, and even if they skip the wow story line, it wont be right I dont get it why they ever made wow and why they made a fucking story line for it cuz I dont know, it just ruined the whole bunch. Now personally I would like to have Arthas live, and other fuck-ups that blizzard made but they would never agree on they ruined it, but thats Blizzard for you. I agree they only way blizzard will make another warcraft is if they think they can make a profit they will try to make a good story line so people would come running but they wont spend more that 1 hour at a time for the story line, Warcraft IV may be a dead Idea, but at least Warcraft III is a decent game. I dont know what more to say just a string of cusses, but that wont do shit.

Level 3
Grafics: World of Warcraft one .
Story : Don't care as long as Ilidian is alive :D.
Races : My oppinion is to kick races in melee select instead of them they shoud add Factions (Horde,Ilidians Legion and etc....)
MP : 20 players max !

Grafics: World of Warcraft one .
Story : Don't care as long as Ilidian is alive :D.
Races : My oppinion is to kick races in melee select instead of them they shoud add Factions (Horde,Ilidians Legion and etc....)
MP : 20 players max !
Why don't people understand that crying about Illidan is the same as crying about Gul'dan... Gul'dan died, and so did Illidan. They won't live eternally, you know.

Why don't people understand that crying about Illidan is the same as crying about Gul'dan... Gul'dan died, and so did Illidan. They won't live eternally, you know.

Illidan wasn't killed by Arthas, just critically wounded, Maiev and Akama destroyed him in once when they invaded Black Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.