• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft IV - Possibilies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
LAN is a feature of the past due to abuse. Almost every game I see nowdays does not support LAN. The reason is because people not willing to buy the game decided to use it as a WAN which defeats the purpose of LAN. As they will use it mostly for WAN gaming, why bother having it so instead they can use the offical internet service.

Do not bring Diablo III into this as that does not have singleplayer or LAN for server security reasons (nothing to do with protection).

Level 2
Valve should make the Warcraft IV because they have made DotA 2 and i was so surprised by the graphic they have applied. In Warcraft IV i want to have better graphic, bigger map size, jass code in World Editor.

Level 19
Or Valve could work together with Blizzard for Dota 2 in later development (To work on the copyright stuff), then Blizzard could continue work on Warcraft IV.

Re-invent the whole thing. A total Remake. This already happened with Warcraft 3. I already don't see anything that fighting against night elves in Ashenvale has to do with the battle between humans and orcs in Azeroth from Warcraft 1. The "rich" lore of Warcraft already derailed a lot after the events of Beyond the Dark Portal, so, why don't they derail it even more?

Reactions: Rui
Level 11
You know few days ago i bought Starcraft 2 you know its not that bad as you say but really for me WC3 is the best and Starcraft 2 Editor or Galaxy editor is too complicated i love WC3 one is easier to make what you want.Yea with Galaxy editor you can make more things but im sure blizzard will give updates to WE but i love the way WE works i dont know why but WE is 50 x times easier than Galaxy Editor.And yea whats bad at WC3 graphics???.I think the graphic should be a little better and WC4 should continue from the end of Wc3 because if you remember WC3 ended in wow Lich King and Blizzard started from Wow 1 not from Lich King right??? so Blizzad should continue with the campaign where WC3 ended.By the way i love Starcraft 2: Warcraft IV i mean from the videos,pictures.So when the campaign get out play it have fun and wait till WC4 comes out.

Level 19
Re-invent the whole thing. A total Remake. This already happened with Warcraft 3. I already don't see anything that fighting against night elves in Ashenvale has to do with the battle between humans and orcs in Azeroth from Warcraft 1. The "rich" lore of Warcraft already derailed a lot after the events of Beyond the Dark Portal, so, why don't they derail it even more?

Maybe more about the Eredar/Draenei, Kobolds, etc. Or any new races they can implement, the possibilities are endless!
Oh, and definitely an editor that helps too heh.
I wouldn't mind if it could be on a platform that somehow links to Warcraft III as well, making all games from there playable on the Warcraft IV engine too.

Level 9
WC4 is entierly possible, what makes you think that the storyline MUST be directly related to that of WC3? it can be a hundred years later, plenty of time for change, and even the events of lategame WOW belong in the past.

So many races are yet to revive a full spotlight, and there is much room for maneuvering with them to create new, exciting stories.

The faceless rise from the caverns with twisted dreams of conquest through mutating everyone into faceless? (not sure if WOW explored that path, but who the hell ARE the faceless, what do they want? where did they come from?)
The gnoll clans uniting into a massive army (and warcraft lore outright states that they will probably be the strongest force in the world if they unite because there are so freaking many of them, everywhere. how on earth did they spread all over the world without inventing any transportation methonds we KNOW of? there is stuff to see there...)
New leaders make new alliances that turns the old obsolete? (The elven union? The "Black Legion", an army of paladins and death knights marching as one?, Gnomes and goblins unite to make a mechanized menace?)

So many possibilities, and I'm sure blizzard's writers can think of better stuff then this...

Level 19
Blizzard would definitely at least have one of their employees discussing about this after SC2, D3, WoW and Titan upgrade developments.
So yeah, I'm guessing they'll make sure it has the qualities of Warcraft III, Starcraft II, WoW, Suits games to be made like DotA and will definitely be very incredible.

Level 11
WC4 is entierly possible, what makes you think that the storyline MUST be directly related to that of WC3? it can be a hundred years later, plenty of time for change, and even the events of lategame WOW belong in the past.

So many races are yet to revive a full spotlight, and there is much room for maneuvering with them to create new, exciting stories.

The faceless rise from the caverns with twisted dreams of conquest through mutating everyone into faceless? (not sure if WOW explored that path, but who the hell ARE the faceless, what do they want? where did they come from?)
The gnoll clans uniting into a massive army (and warcraft lore outright states that they will probably be the strongest force in the world if they unite because there are so freaking many of them, everywhere. how on earth did they spread all over the world without inventing any transportation methonds we KNOW of? there is stuff to see there...)
New leaders make new alliances that turns the old obsolete? (The elven union? The "Black Legion", an army of paladins and death knights marching as one?, Gnomes and goblins unite to make a mechanized menace?)

So many possibilities, and I'm sure blizzard's writers can think of better stuff then this...

Or it could be a 100 years earlier than the events of WC1...
Or maybe it would be an RTS view of WoW....who knows

Level 7
The main core of Warcraft has been the fantasy setting, story, editor, and custom gaming. The melee isnt capable of competing with other games that much.

The main core of starcraft has been sci-fi setting, story, editor, and MOST of all, ladder. The ladder is incredible.

If they could sit down to making a fantasy setting with those things, with updates and fixes, and new things to play with. you bet warcraft as an RTS would be revived.

IF they can manage to introduce WoW story lines, in a new way that is actually any good, then i wouldnt mind fighting ragnaros or Cthun or some others. But i would expect it to actually be a good story instead of this thrown-together crap. (and for heaven sakes dont make Illidan so incredibly Emo. He wasnt the greatest of heros, but he wasnt as evil as WoW portays him.)

Level 22
The main core of Warcraft has been the fantasy setting, story, editor, and custom gaming. The melee isnt capable of competing with other games that much.

What? Only one of the most watched games on world tournaments when war3 was still alive? Custom gaming was the biggest part - are you living in space? Back in the days everyone who played war3 and that was years before SC2 beta, it was either lots of melee or Dota idk what the fck you're talking about.

The main core of starcraft has been sci-fi setting, story, editor, and MOST of all, ladder. The ladder is incredible.

The sc2 ladder sucks, it is so irrelevant in skill and promotion, it also matches you same race 15 times in a row. But I guess we're stuck with it.

Level 14
Wc3 was popular but quite imbalanced as a competitive game.

Here is a very simple situation of imbalance in Wc3... Night Elf vs Orc situation... Night Elf has archers... Orc has Blademaster... if Blademaster is lucky and does Windwalk hit + melee crit = dead archer... if Blademaster is unlucky, it's Windwalk hit + meele hit + meele hit = dead archer. Furthermore all wc3 units have a range of damage values, e.g.: 10-20. Also the item drops from creeps... you are playing Human, you have an Archmage and you found a tome of agility... oh yeah!

Sc:BW was popular and balanced as a competitive game.

Why ? Because the damage value of units were static. The only random number aspect in that game were the spawn locations, lol. Otherwise, all the races were very balanced.

Level 17
Please read the Warcraft lore and then please comment.

Level 15
3 Reasons why Warcraft IV isn't coming anytime soon:

1.) Warcraft 3 is still kicking and fansites like this one is still alive.
2.) There so many Blizzard games announced like the endless expansions of WoW, Starcraft 2: HoS, Diablo 3, and the new annouced Project Titan.
3.) It takes centuries for Blizzard to create a game.

Level 22
Wc3 was popular but quite imbalanced as a competitive game.

Here is a very simple situation of imbalance in Wc3... Night Elf vs Orc situation... Night Elf has archers... Orc has Blademaster... if Blademaster is lucky and does Windwalk hit + melee crit = dead archer... if Blademaster is unlucky, it's Windwalk hit + meele hit + meele hit = dead archer. Furthermore all wc3 units have a range of damage values, e.g.: 10-20. Also the item drops from creeps... you are playing Human, you have an Archmage and you found a tome of agility... oh yeah!

This doesnt matter at high level because firstly by the time the BM goes to elf base night falls or is falling soon. You can hide archers. DH can stop BM quite enough with constant mana burn, you can save archers with moon wells.... Also with a pro unit block he can even kill BM if BM has no boots.

At late game mass dotts vs orc is nice to watch, often times the elf wins. Depends on hero level but with elf getting Tinker 3rd hero usually wins. That's why at least SC2 offers pure strategy not Hero with imba item and hero high level beats all.. but I still liked the micro games there they just had to make heros less decisive.. I know it because one teammate of mine could win some of the lesser tournaments, he was elf and it was amazing beating some players like TylooNicker,xelsing, some others who are quite some of the best EU players in the last 1-2 years. He has even taken a game from FoCus (im not sure was it focus or Lawliet, both koreans but the latter is undead). Elf most imba race ^^ not orc

Level 20
Warcraft 3 wasnt that balanced indeed but all the races had their own imba things so it wasnt that bad. It was actually pretty funny after all.

Mass dotts with Cyclone spam were the most imbashit ever vs Orc but they lost if they didnt do that or get enough bears. t_t

Level 9
3 Reasons why Warcraft IV isn't coming anytime soon:

1.) Warcraft 3 is still kicking and fansites like this one is still alive.
2.) There so many Blizzard games announced like the endless expansions of WoW, Starcraft 2: HoS, Diablo 3, and the new annouced Project Titan.
3.) It takes centuries for Blizzard to create a game.

4.) Blizzard often makes games without announcing them until they are 80% done. there might be a warcraft IV in making for a while already.

Level 34
4.) Blizzard often makes games without announcing them until they are 80% done. there might be a warcraft IV in making for a while already.
Whoa, 80%? Where does that figure come from? By that reckoning Blizzard has been working on D3 since 1999. Diablo II came out in 2000. Something tells me that can't be right.

Blizzard does wait a long time before making game announcements, but not that long. When they do finally announce a game, they show what looks like finished product, but I doubt it's anything close to that. Note how little they do actually show early on.

Level 20
na, you needed enough spirit walkers and with enough disenchants and some wolves, hex and critical the orc could win. But was very dependant on who has higher level heros.

Spirit Link is maybe the biggest strenght of being an Orc but it gets dispelled by their own AOE dispel but then again Orcs dont have any other dispel than that so when they dispel Cyclones it also hurts them. Plus when Nelf gets few Faerie Dragons Spirit Walkers become just more and more useless units. With mass dotts its pretty simple to kill a hero like bm because he can be seen all the time and has his armor reduced. Nelf needs only one Dryad to be able to dispel every Hex in the fight. And not to forget that lvl 6 dh is superior to bm. But this tact requires a lot of time spent on teching early and if lucky it can be countered by a fast t2 push with one cata.

Thought I hated Orc vs UD matchup even more.

Level 11
They are making Warcraft IV secretly who knows...

nope they are not making Warcraft IV im 100% sure because they have too many projects open right now:

Titan - going slow but steady :)
World of Warcraft - they allready told a bit of the story for the new expansion so i think they allready started to make it
Diablo III - allmost Beta Testing!
Starcraft 2: Heart of Swarm or how was the new expansion or patch what ever :)

So wait for Warcraft IV like other waited for Starcraft 2 10-12 years ;)

Level 19
They could expand the lore a little from WoW (Maybe like, making Warcraft IV have a lore that's massively thousands of years after it, so the events in between could fit in through other WoW expansions), considering it's actually their lore.
Looking forward to it when Blizzard says anything.

Level 34
WC IV could very well be in the works. Blizzard had said that after SC2 shipped the idea of working on another Warcraft game would be "on the table".

Level 19
Well, unless they get even more workers (Almost 4000 workers right now, no kidding), then I suppose it could be worked on earlier, especially if somebody convinces them about the profits and benefits to the Warcraft community/storyline.
So yeah, I'll keep believing that Warcraft III would survive, at least till Warcraft IV is released, then yeah, there'll be even more players on both games:)

Level 14
The topic is named Warcraft IV, it is written by and for people who wish to express their desire, hopes, dreams, of the continuation of the francise. You can say it for the 10th millionth time, your message does not match the subject of this post, nor does it interest the people for whom this thread is for.

That's how I got over this. I know it's stupid but what can you do ? At the end of the day they have their hopes, and I have my 3 minutes of life not wasted on explaining to them why their hopes are to high (one would say...).

Level 34
I don't see why you're so convinced there won't be a WC IV. Seems extremely plausible to me. Might take a while, but it'll come.

Level 22
^ It would kill the game melee-wise. And let's not forget the game is an RTS as in the primary purpose of the game is its melee form and THEN mapmaking and modding. This little important detail is forgotten a lot lately including by Dotaers. When SC2 became nearly a BW copy, was important to maintain the same game. One could expect war4 is supposed to have the 4 races. If it were to go back to before war3, where there were just 2 races, it would kill the gaming... So I dont think a prelude of war3 would be made because of that. The approach to make a new game before a previous is common like another company did with MK9 for example and MKA connection. But unless they think of a good reason to keep the 4 races not add or exlcude another, I dont think so.

You said yourself some there, war3 isn't very balanced. I would say it rather is but the success is not as big as in Broodwar. So has a little bit of imbalance. I could guess the fact that they had to balance 4 races. More races than that? So not gonna happen, this is not HoMM 3 plus the reasons I mentioned above about preserving the game.

Let's read some game marketing 101.

1. A game sells if it is good
2. A fully understandable and expandable lore is what makes a game good.
3. You don't present a game that presents lore that is already known and expanded to the very end.
4. You don't do cliche stuff. Just no. Pure fail game.
5. If a sequel goes back into time, it is likely that it will fail, unless there is space for more lore.
6. A game is set to stop when there is nothing to continue, or the lore is finalized, or the public doesn't show enough interest in it, or it is succeeded by a game that starts off where the previous ended, usually with a change in category(strategy to rpg, rpg to action, strategy to action, and so on).

And seriously, if wow stops production, Warcraft will end. And starcraft is not going to be an mmorpg, the public hasn't shown much interest in it(world of starcraft, watch some blizzcon 2009 or 2010 videos, don't remember which of the two).

Level 14
I don't see why you're so convinced there won't be a WC IV. Seems extremely plausible to me. Might take a while, but it'll come.

At one point yes.

In the meanwhile SC2 offers the same features WC3 offers... I am reffering to mapmaking, ladder, strategy game and such. Sure the gameplay is different yet... similar. By this I mean to say that WC4 will not be anywhere close to the last release of SC2 LOV. After some good years since SC2 will be fully launched with all it's expansions, after Blizzard will have enough time to learn something of the SC2 experience, it's when they will start to work on WC4. Those are at least 5 years from now on.

I really do not see the point in debating what might happen for a francise over the next 5 years. That's my point, and that's what's happening now.

I do not trust Blizzard to keep their word that the Warcraft francise will end with WoW. But in their bussiness model is pretty clear... they would rather release smaller content packs but more often (expansions...) rather than full release games. On this bussiness model it results that WC4 is nowhere near. At least 5 years from now on will take untill WC4 will be announced... but I believe even 8-10 years easy.

So again, I repeat, I see no reason to talk over the release of a product which might or might not happen in the next 5 years. By then some of us will be married and even have kids !

Status
Not open for further replies.