• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept-Art Contest #11 - The youngest or oldest warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.241100

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

kid_warrior_by_dntudesigner-d8rzchw.jpg

Image is courtesy of Tu Ngoc do

THE YOUNGEST (or) OLDEST WARRIOR

Create a unique warrior, very young or very old, NOT based on a narrative universe that already exists (Warcraft, Harry Potter, LoTR, etc.). The concept-art must portray one of the two different possibilities: Perhaps a cunning reckless padawan that became a warrior against all odds. Or, the old experienced force of nature that is the oldest warrior? Get wild with your ideas! Make an old space kung fu master or a young guerrilla children warrior - anything is possible! :)

What is a Warrior? A person engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly: a person engaged in some struggle or conflict.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Submissions must follow the contest theme.
  • Submissions may not be started / made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed. Such can be detailed and technical cooperation, like reviewing, which is prohibited. Smaller, subjective feedback is not considered as teamwork and is allowed.
  • Post 2 WorkInProgresses (WIPs) in the contest thread during the contest process. It should be clear that you are working on the submission.
  • Post your final entry in the contest thread before contest is over. The post should be a little presentation, having your submission attached.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• Mr.Goblin
  • Mrs. Available
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on February 28nd 2018, 8:00 GMT and conclude on EXTENDED TILL THE 15th of APRIL 2018, 21:00, GMT

Assigned Staff: Mr.Goblin

The Poll | Results

entries.png

All submissions will be placed here (Submission is either a WIP or an entry)

Last edited by a moderator:
Boom :D Me Joinin
Glad to hear that!!! :D

Cool! I'll look forward to join this. Not anytime soon though /:
No stress! you've got 2 months.

I might join this or if not I might judge as well. Just let me fix my stupid gadgets XD
Fix it, fix it!, fix it!

I might join, to improve my drawing skills.
Now THAT'S the spirit! :D this is a great opportunity to get free feedbacks as well!

Joining! And noted all points xD (i'll try todo make a colored submission this time :p)
I can't wait! :D

Interesting! This is a good possibility to improve my skills and to have fun along with others. I'm joining.

I wish good luck and inspiration to all contestants! )
Yessss you've got the spirit needed! :D

Im Going to do a Rambo Grandma firing two AK47
Hopefully I can pull it off, :V Old Grandma seems to be very hard to draw

Im reserving this idea

haha nice idea :D

Ill try to join in as well, i was looking for an opportunity to draw a character concept on photoshop hehe
DO AT!

Interesting I will try to join this in the meantime:D

I will try to start drawing if it is horroble then I will try and try if not then (SURRENDER) Just Kidding never give up! just trying to do my best and also to improve my drawing skills:p:D
YUUUUUSSSS!!! Make me proud! :D

hmmm 15th of april, that's a lot of time to think :)
i'm in!
isn't it? ;)

The entry character doesnt have to be a human, right? I might go with a cute youngster animal warrior to freshen my style :p

Nope! :D it can be what ever you want! as long as I know it's either really old or really young and that is a warrior!

You know what Mr. Goblin, i take my gut and bring in here to prove.
I'm just going to join.

BRING IT ON GURLLL!

Level 11
I like that contest theme. Can't wait to see the results! Good luck to all contestants! :)

Level 9
@Exarch that is a cool looking elder knight here. :cgrin: Don't worry, i will sent my child to come get him a last resort.
My child!! Even though the rage burns in my veins i The Mighty Grandpa feel so tired to hold this sword one last time. Bring your child so i can give him a good lesson before i pass..

Lol thanks Shido! Im wondering what you will come up with.

Level 31
Does golem alike or creature born from rock etc (like mountain giant) count?
I don't think so since golem cannot actually age very well, plus these like rock right. You can actually curve it around so ... * shaking head *

(Quote from Mr Goblin: Being the youngest or the oldest implies it's a living character. )
So is like deceased character type like undead or simply cannot age won't work.

Level 19
it can be what ever you want! as long as I know it's either really old or really young and that is a warrior!

A golem can be really old, since it's part of nature(check mountains, trees), or it can be a very young golem :D

I think gargoyles are similar to golems thanks to sharing the same material on them; rock.

But yeah, @Mr.Goblin should have the last word on it, but I know he likes more free approaches, and less limits ^^ (or maybe I know wrong :O)

--------------

And heres a very sketchy sketch that can count as a wip. I might change the composition; giving the little warrior a leverage from the sea level to get more attention, but i might just leave it like this too, I like what I did with the scenery haha :D

img-20180305-wa0005-jpeg.293397

Attachments

• IMG-20180305-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20180305-WA0005.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
I always miss the table and catch everything late but I am in!
For the records: This theme is super crazy!!

EDIT: got some progress
View attachment 293372

DAYUM! LOVE THE ANGLE! WOOP WOOP! (also, please don't fall into the warcraft3/WoW universe, try to make your armor feel more special! :)

Does golem alike or creature born from rock etc (like mountain giant) count?
Works for me! but make sure you give enough visuals features to sell the idea that he's either really old or really young. Either by giving him a really long beard made of moss, and shittons of wrinkles, or like really big eyes, red checks and the porportions of a child.

A golem can be really old, since it's part of nature(check mountains, trees), or it can be a very young golem :D

I think gargoyles are similar to golems thanks to sharing the same material on them; rock.

But yeah, @Mr.Goblin should have the last word on it, but I know he likes more free approaches, and less limits ^^ (or maybe I know wrong :O)

you've got that right! I want people to get ''wild'' with their ideas.
--------------

And heres a very sketchy sketch that can count as a wip. I might change the composition; giving the little warrior a leverage from the sea level to get more attention, but i might just leave it like this too, I like what I did with the scenery haha :D

img-20180305-wa0005-jpeg.293397

Nice start! But remember, the character is the subject of this concept-art competition, not the landscape. You'll get far more points by making me a close up of the character with high rendering, then sketchy character in a sketchy environement. aka - the environement won't give you much points. Focus on the character

Level 19
Nice start! But remember, the character is the subject of this concept-art competition, not the landscape. You'll get far more points by making me a close up of the character with high rendering, then sketchy character in a sketchy environement. aka - the environement won't give you much points. Focus on the character

Thanks, I'm now drawing it on photoshop in a more polished way. That's exactly my thought, I might just get him closer to the front side and itll help me add more detail on my furry possum lad! :p YES, he's gonna be a possum-boy, wielding a weapon. I'll write the background story when I post the entry :D

I want to ask, because im not too understand the different between concept art and illustration, :V

But is ok if i do a close up or a medium close up on the face?

Its gonna be a while before i post any wip :v, something that i never draw, having trouble with how to execute it :p

the main difference between a concept-art and an illustration is = the main goal./the mindset behind their creation.

The main goal of an illustration is to create a beautiful piece of art, with nice shading, coloring, proportions etc. it's a full package. it's The warped gift you give at christmas. It's basically an artistic statement saying = I am skillfull and this is the subject I illustrated to showcase my skills in drawing.

Concept-art's main goal is to convey an idea first. It can be rough around the edges a little, it can be in black in white. But the reason why so many people are confused is that visually, some concept-art looks like illustrations. But that's because the artist choose to render everything he drew almost to perfection because he really wanted to convey his ideas completly and leave very small room for imagination. The artist being like = I want to inform people this armor piece is made of leather, and has some nice ruins patern on it that are golden because it fits the narative the the universe etc. so Visually, some concept-art and illustrations can be the same, but it's the mindset behind both that are completly different.

It's something very important. Again, plese have a look at arena stickies and relevant points and update first post.
been copy pasting all over the place, and now I fail to see what's missing or inacurate :S care to help? Also thanks for pointing it out!

Level 2
Hi guys.
I'll try to join this time too.
This is the very first sketch. An old warrior decided to stop and relax while drinking a warm mate. Or also know in my state "Chimarrão".
I'll chance a lot of things, like the sword, but I hope I can enjoy challenging myself after so much time without drawing.
Good luck to everone!

Attachments

• Old Warrior.jpg
    Old Warrior.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 174
Level 28
have a look at arena stickies and relevant points and update first post.
It seems the Contest Rules and Conditions are updated now! According to the current Universal Rules found in the templates thread: Templates

It even contained these rules:
The submission must be posted in the respective resource section, before the contest ends.
  • The resource description must make it clear it's a submission from the respective contest.
  • As teamwork is not allowed the staff will close the resouce thread as soon as possible, that reviews can't be made.
    You're welcome to contact the appointed moderator, or staff, to speed up this closing process.
Which didn't apply to Concept Art so I just removed them =P
So it's updated now unless I missed something.

@Flyphor that's a cool warrior concept, I liked it a lot! I wanna see the final result.

Draw on guys! Let's get to see dem WIPs!

Reactions: San
Yeh, the "resource sections" stuff applies for quite some contests, so it's just in default set of rules.

Criteria on which contestants will be judged are yet to be updated. PointValue/Scores of the aspects is currently undefined.

Judges should get +rep, as well.

Also:
Extra notes: You'll gain more points by NOT drawing a character based on a narrative universe that already exists. (aka Warcraft, Harry Potter, LOTR, etc.)
^it seems like a judging criteria that defines how to reach points, next to the theme description. (?) It seems it can be interpreted a bit arbitary at its current position. But anyways, maybe it's nicer to implement this definition straight into the theme description like "Create a warrior not based on a narrative universe", and then simply the Theme criterie applies, to deduct scores if it doesn't match.

Level 17
Kinda like your idea for a young golem, some reason XD he remind me to Thor + Thing combine in a good way. XD Keep going buddy.
Glad you like it, I thought it is a weird idea to draw it at first. I just want the young golem to hold some equipments, but dunno which is the most suitable :p Just put a hammer for viewing and stimulate some inspiration (might replace it if there is better idea).
Btw I find that you post your WIP (kite boy), at your own thread if you want enter competition you must post it at here (according to rule).

Some progress to show:
young golem wip 2.jpg

Level 31
You know what Mr. Goblin, i take my gut and bring in here to prove.
I'm just going to join.

Glad you like it, I thought it is a weird idea to draw it at first. I just want the young golem to hold some equipments, but dunno which is the most suitable :p Just put a hammer for viewing and stimulate some inspiration (might replace it if there is better idea).
Btw I find that you post your WIP (kite boy), at your own thread if you want enter competition you must post it at here (according to rule).

Some progress to show:
XD I already asked Mr Goblin to allow post WIP myself keeping hidden here. When i ready, i sent my child to come wipe out XD them.

It seems the Contest Rules and Conditions are updated now! According to the current Universal Rules found in the templates thread: Templates

It even contained these rules:

Which didn't apply to Concept Art so I just removed them =P
So it's updated now unless I missed something.

Thanks for having my back! I'm new to these new templates. My mistake was to copy paste the data from the previous concept-art competition.

Yeh, the "resource sections" stuff applies for quite some contests, so it's just in default set of rules.

Criteria on which contestants will be judged are yet to be updated. PointValue/Scores of the aspects is currently undefined.

Also:

^it seems like a judging criteria that defines how to reach points, next to the theme description. (?) It seems it can be interpreted a bit arbitary at its current position. But anyways, maybe it's nicer to implement this definition straight into the theme description like "Create a warrior not based on a narrative universe", and then simply the Theme criterie applies, to deduct scores if it doesn't match.

Yeah I took the liberty to add this rule since it has been a big issue in the past few concept-art competition. Many hivers lost countless points for great sudmissions in the past. Since it's a warcraft forum people are bound to make something based inside the warcraft universe, but since it'S a concept-art competition, this contest requires people to be ''creative''. so by adding that rule, I just wanted to make sure people would know better from now on.

I'm happy we are having this discussion.

Level 9
DAYUM! LOVE THE ANGLE! WOOP WOOP! (also, please don't fall into the warcraft3/WoW universe, try to make your armor feel more special! :)
Ey thanks and yeah I was planning to create a tribe warrior but i got myself confused and i do not know how i did it. I have ideas about my concept and major changes, plus, not even sure this would be my entry.
@Flyphor I gotta admit i like the concept. Thumbs up!!

Level 28
Okay so I just gave the 1st post a review:
Now they have the point values of the previous concept art contest (theme: 10; execution: 25; concept: 40; realism: 25).

Done.

It seems like a judging criteria that defines how to reach points, next to the theme description. (?) It seems it can be interpreted a bit arbitary at its current position. But anyways, maybe it's nicer to implement this definition straight into the theme description like "Create a warrior not based on a narrative universe", and then simply the Theme criterie applies, to deduct scores if it doesn't match.
Done too.

1st post is updated now. Perhaps we should consider removing the "PointValue" thing from our template, heheh. Anyway not a discussion to have here. I'm currently looking forward to find some time to participate in this.

Heres my wip, i probably will sketch more to find out a better design and composition

Old granny are really hard to draw, the proportion are different to what i usually draw and im not even sure if proportion are even right or not

And reference are lesser compare to the others :V

Love the badass granny theme, good job!

Level 31
Oh granny XD, careful. If we have time XD, I would let you fly with me
hoCEmxS.png
Some of viewers wonder: " Where is the weapon ? " Kite-mace is main weapon. Is a fusion of Kite and Mace representing child from Vietnam War. He also have a secondary weapon, hold on. I still thinking.

Level 15
I dont think my current style gonna work work oldies. o.o
*just imagine a pinup granny*
But I already had an idea, maybe an old guy with shotgun with some fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.