• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beta Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Forget battle.net. Single player only. But with WarSoc the map will be able to make other players affect your own single player game. Well, technically, that's how all multiplayer games actually work.
Still don't get it? Wait for a release. It'll all become clear.

Level 5
Hm then, we wont see each other when playing ?

No, for all practical purposes, it is the exact same as being on Battle.net without the restrictions of submitting to Blizzard's normal multi-player standards. For instance, when you play online you don't actually see another person moving their mouse around, ordering units and sitting plugged into your computer. The way a multi-player online game works is simply by creating an instance of a game for the 'host' (because it's peer-to-peer, one person has to have the original game, or in this case the 'host'). While the game goes on, each computer relays information about what each player wants to do with their units to other players, and that gets executed for other players on their screens as well.

In layman's terms: If we play a game on battle.net, I'm not imputing commands directly into your computer, I'm doing things on my own computer. When I order my men, your computer copies the command like a mirror. You're technically only seeing and interacting with the mirror image of my units, but since when you affect the mirror it affects the real unit on my end, for all intensive purposes you are -really- interacting with me. The chat system in game works just like an instant message (which functions in the same basic way). I'm not typing the message into your computer: I'm typing it on mine, then it copies that message and sends it to you, then it displays it for you. When you respond, the same thing is done: the message is sent to me so I can read it.

The reason it is done on single player is that the single player game automatically assumes there is only one player (which is technically true, it just so happens that another player is allowed to command the "computer's" units via orders being sent to them through the computer). As a result, since the other players aren't actually "players" as defined by Warcraft III, you can have as many players as you want, since all you have to do is choose a different set of units that that "player" is allowed to issue order for.

Still don't understand? Feel free to ask, and I'll try to explain again.

Level 2
Wait...have you guys done the wokr that makes the max players above 12, and the ability to join games in progress. If so, I think you will need private b.net servers, cuz standard b.net lobby takes games in progress off of the games list.(i hope i helped in some way, i've been exited over this project for a while)

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
No it wouldn't. We're not going to assign a different player slot to everyone. It's going to divide the player slots, so they work as faction/force colors instead. If you start a map, and set the Ally Color Mode to mode 2, that's how it'll look when playing a warsoc map.

well, will you add something like (i dont know if that was the right term) dedicated servers?

something you could run on a server somewhere to make the map run permanently so that people can join and leave the map whenever they want?
(like Blizz does for WoW)
I mean, just the map, not WC3 and the map...
It wouldnt need to display the grafics and all, you know?

Level 7
Just to clarify, it is not possible to make a universal dedicated server that works for all maps. Mappers can, however, make a dedicated server for their map in their favorite programming language if they are familiar with socket programming.

Level 4
But if this realy work , that mean all the Orpg could be alway avalaible and i could do a multiple orpg system :) like 5 map for 1 rpg and alway open so when you need to change of section you can only move directly to the next map on an other server :)
I like your idea i already dreamed to have this and you are doing it :)
Continu the good work ;)

Level 6
I'm awed by the amount of work a project like this takes. Hats off.

I don't know about increasing the player limit, players lag out all the time on b.net (atleast 10-15% of my games end this way), won't adding more increase the problem? I guess if everything is server-hosted, it's alleviated, but I can't foresee more than 12 players working out too well if the host is the typical bnet host. Actually...

I don't really understand how battlenet works too well. Why does WC3 lag more than a game like TF2 or WOW? Is it complex, having to send/receive more data than your typical MMO or FPS, or is the code/architecture just outdated and inefficient?

However, this is fascinating and I think it could work very well. I can see it fasclilitating larger mod and complete-conversion maps. I hope you make downloading maps/mods more user-friendly than bnet (the system of 'download from the host' sucks because of poor connection speed; I know on my cable line it can take 3-5 minutes to download 4 megs), perhaps redirecting the download to a web-server rather than the map host?

Status
Not open for further replies.