1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Before The Winter 1.1

Submitted by Thaelran
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Before The Winter 1.1

By Thaelran & Steve
About the Map

Before the Winter is a hardcore prehistoric survival game.
It takes Place around 10.000 B.C. before the end of the last great glaciation.
You start as a young hunter-gatherer, who needs to prepare food for his tribe.
This world is full of dangers and you have only 10 days before the snow covers the land!

Features

• Crafting, Cooking
• Tracking and Hunting
• Animal Behaviour
• Hunting quests for valuable rewards
• Exploring 8 Main zones with different environments
• Heat/Stamina/Hunger/Sickness
• Randomized weather
• Cooperative gameplay
• 3 Difficulty settings
• Inventory swap system (2x6 Inventory slot for every player)
• A hostile cannibal tribe roaming the map

Tips for new players

• Use your "Run" (Q) ability if you get in trouble, but use it wisely because it drains your stamina (Lumber resource)! If you get tired you can't run anymore.
• Build your first campfire before the end of the first day! Without good clothing you will get cold and likely to get sick! Keep your campfire lit by placing any kind of wood or coal in it's inventory.
• Your next goal should be to create a Shelter. This is a very important building because there you can deposit your excess food, contributing to the victory condition. The other important feature of a shelter is that you can revive your Caveman after death. Remember: you need 100 Food reserve (Gold resource) to revive him!
• Don't forget to use your "Forage" ability on trees and bushes to get meterials. You can use "Glean" anywhere to obtain items, or find animal tracks.
• If you have an axe in your inventory, you can give attack orders on trees! Cutting down a tree can give you all the wood you need! You can cut bushes as well.
• Use your 'Horn of Dread' ability to escape from any kind of danger, but it has a long cooldown, so use it as a last resort!
• At the start of the game you may want to avoid the north-eastern side of the map, as there lives a tribe of cannibals, they would prove to be a difficult opponent. (But if you manage to defeat them, you can take their food reserves)
• All plants are useful for making potions, they may seem useless at first, but a potion can make the difference between victory and defeat! You need to use a mortar to prepare these ingredients before you can make potions.
• If you decide to start mining, you need to have a pick in your inventory, and you have to issue an attack order on a slightly red tinted rock. If you find Obsidian, you can craft powerful weapons!

Credits

ICONS:Stanakin Skywalker, bananaHUNT, NFWar, Hemske, FhelZone , Uncle Fester ,HammerFist132
, maxor_gan, ,darkdeathknight, inhuman89, Dentothor, Mr.Goblin, , Telyanra, Golden-Drake
hawk900, Blood Raven , Darky29, Callahan, KelThuzad, Mobilize, Volvox, The_Silent,Z Riley
MODELS:Blizzard Entertainment, Sunchips, chilla_killa, Born²Modificate, xXm0RpH3usXx, Stanakin Skywalker, olofmoleman, RodOfNOD,
sunwarrior25, Kitabatake, MiniMage, InfernalTater, varsaigen, Thrikodius, communist_orc, stonneash,
Forgotten_Warlord, Misha, Domokun, imforfun,
SKINS:
Mr.Goblin,
TRIGGERS:Shoto, 1345
Special thanks to my brother, Steve for his his work on this project!

Changelog

1.0:
-Weather Effects
-Heat decreases when you rest in water, stone or snow
-"Recovery" Fixed (No more crash and error message if you die!)
-Tip messages
-Stronger animals, and weaker weapons but +50 health to your caveman
-Turkey renamed to grouse
-Some tooltip addition and fix
-Added the "default camera" option (Press ESC to change camera)
-Added automatic item pickup system (Press the Creep camp minimap display button to turn it on)
-COMPLETE REWORK of the map, removing many features like the random map generator, Camera system, Shoveling, Global Weather, Tileset chage upon snowing and some other things
-Fixed all recipes
-Fixed or removed many leaking triggers
-Total rebalance of items, animals and effects
-NEW: handcrafted map with many different areas
-NEW: Items and Neutral NPC-s who sell them
-NEW: victory conditions
-NEW: difficulty settings
-NEW: Cannibals added to the game
-NEW: Glean Ability, replaces the Spade item and combines it with the tracking ability
-NEW: Hunting sidequests with special animal bosses
-NEW: Hero revive at a shelter
-NEW: Caves (mostly visual features)
And many more

Map Description Generator 「By Vengeancekael」
Keywords:
Prehistoric, Caveman, Survivor, Winter, Mammoth, Hunting,
Contents

Before The Winter 1.1 (Map)

Reviews
[IMG] StoPCampinGn00b22:52, 14th Jan 2015[tr][IMG][IMG]Map Name - Before The Winter 1.0[tr][IMG]Review - None[tr][IMG]Verdict - Approved, 4/5
  1. [​IMG] StoPCampinGn00b
    22:52, 14th Jan 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [titletd]
    Map Name - Before The Winter 1.0
    [/titletd][tr][titletd]
    [​IMG]
    [/titletd][titletd]
    Review - None
    [/titletd][tr][titletd]
    [​IMG]
    [/titletd][titletd]
    Verdict - Approved, 4/5
    [/titletd][/tr][/tr]

2. Valandil

Valandil

Resources:
    Resources:
    wow, this look so beautifull ! Arrow move system in survival map ... I like it !

3. Tickles

Tickles

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a great map with many refined features. I was kind of hoping the arrow keys would rotate the camera, since things get in the way of the camera from time to time and movement can be done with the mouse anyway. I love the concept of crafting from resources I collect and being able to use those same resources in a pinch (like reusing stones or eating raw food).

I was enjoying the game until I only stopped moving for an instant and ended up auto-attacking a mammoth. I assumed it killed me since I was already on low life, but the game crashed with an error message.

4. Thaelran

Thaelran

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I know this error, its caused by the "recovery" (reincarnation) ability, and i will remove it in the next patch and replace with something better. :)

5. Madcapercaillie

Madcapercaillie

Resources:
    Resources:
    This maps looks great :D i love the way the map is but something i would recomend is that changing the music since it does not really fit for the map theme and the concept but otherwise this is a great job! :ogre_haosis:

6. Thaelran

Thaelran

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks for mentioning it, since i am always playing with the music turned off, i have never thought about this!
    I would appreciate more feedbacks like this :)

7. Madcapercaillie

Madcapercaillie

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're welcome! ^ ^
    Its a very cool map and i see that you have one of the cave men's name as creb which i guess that you got from the movie "The clan of the cave bear" ?
    Either way keep on making it and improve! :)
    something i now did notice when i was playing is that when i died from attacking a diatryma is that a shadow of the character was flying to the corner of the map as my things was droping there.Do you have skype ?

8. War3Citizen

War3Citizen

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Best survival map i've seen!Good job Thaelran,hope this map can become popular among survival map :D

9. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks pretty good.

Suggestions:
    • Add an option to use the regular camera.
    • When there is a tree between your character and the camera, you should hide it / make it transparent.
    • Add an option to automatically pick up items when you run over them. The combination of the arrow key camera with it moving when you click on items is very visually jarring.
    • As has been suggested by Tickles, you should add an option for arrow keys to rotate the camera instead of moving the character. Left/Right rotates, Up/Down changes angle of attack.
    • Add some sort of bag or inventory system. Inventory gets full really quickly, especially since your 6 slots are also used by equipment.
      • Weapons could be equipped by clicking them, removing them from your inventory but providing a bonus. Equipping a new weapon to an already used slot would move the old weapon back into your inventory.
      • Materials could be placed in a multiboard inventory. You could take this idea further by giving each item a weight and/or size, thereby limiting inventory size by character strength or bag size.

I would have liked to play it a bit further, but with the camera constantly spinning around to behind a tree it gets annoying. While it's nothing new, your map already has good depth and amount of content, so it has much potential.

10. Thaelran

Thaelran

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello! Thanks for testing my map! :)
    Your first suggestion is totally right, and i actually wanted to give the players the possibility to use the default camera.
    I dont think i can make the trees transparent, but if it bothers you, you can still play with the default camera settings.
    The automatic pickup system is a good idea! I'll see to it.
    Actually there is a bag system in the game, you can craft 2 type of bag, where you can store 5 and 10 items,and multiboard inventory is not necessary on my opinion^^
    Thank you for your suggestions!

11. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    When I play again I'll definitely be using the regular camera, but I think you should still see if you can do something about those trees for the sake of people that will be using the default arrow key system.

Some ideas:
    • Hide the destructible for the local player, I'm not sure if this will cause a desync or not but this would be the easiest.
    • Make trees units instead of destructibles. This will be a bit of work to change your abilities around, but it makes it a bit easier. Use animation - change unit vertex color to make the trees transparent. Do this for local player, this one I know won't desync.

Keep up the good work, I'll definitely play it again in a week or two.

12. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wow this sounds extremely awesome. I will definitly play this a lot. Great work!

I love this. I want to add this to my map aswell but I don't know how :'(

13. Kenshi1007

Kenshi1007

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  14. jonbon29

jonbon29

Resources:
    Resources:
    A beautiful map indeed, I had a lot of fun playing it.

15. Blue_Spartan

Blue_Spartan

Resources:
    Resources:
    A direct example of the game Day-z. A good survival map and a challenging one. I still wonder how its only 4/5 but from my opinion its 5/5 ^_^

16. CanFight

CanFight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hello, Great map and nice visuals but u have 1 huge bug. Or more of a misstake. There is this thing called camera bounds. In normal wc3 it's not rly noticed. But in your map as you got 3d person view the camera cant go to the world bounds is actually stoped a little bit earlier. Fix it and the map is genius. Keep up the good work!

17. lj2831929

lj2831929

Resources:
    Resources:
    normal camera.

18. Thaelran

Thaelran

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, but i don't know how to fix this... any ideas?
    Btw i dont think its a huge problem

19. CanFight

CanFight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Its a huge bug as you cant see your self if u go close to the boundaries of the map.
    To solve this simple make the map a bit bigger then it should be. Then u just limit the playable area by making pathing blockers or cliffs ect.
    So you cant get that close to the boundaries.