• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ban Spree of Users... Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hahhahah this is so pathetic.
Seriously Nothing makes me giggle more than coming to the hive and seeing what new retarded action has taken place.

Infractions were retarded from the get go.
You can't use systems like this in a modding community when the staff of the site is the reason for half the problems or more.
The only thing this will cause is a mass banning of the old users who basically ARE the backbone of this site. This will not kill of the new blights and flamewar starters this will simply kill the people who actually produce or taught other people how to produce what this site is FOR RESOURCES.
I think you are forgetting that that's the point of this site.

Good luck dealing with and breaking in all the new members which I highly doubt will increase all that much over the next few years.
The quality of the resources on this site will never increase because of shit like this.

If you want to fix the problem ditch infractions, reputation, and censoring every little comment all together, how about letting users ignore people they don't like.
mods should only step in when people start doing things of questionable nature like trying to censor other peoples opinions or spread blatant lies, or stealing resources. ITS A RESOURCE SITE!

edit.
hahah this is the funniest early Aprils fool joke I've ever seen on a forum.

Level 15
Personally I don't get how a 2-point system will work any better than a 10-point; in fact, it's far less flexible. If we wanted to be more severe with punishments, we could just give out more points.

Good point. Instead of doing this, you could have just agreed to toughen the rules a bit. That would have gotten the desired effect imo.

Level 14
The reason infractions were done this way was to distinguish between negative reputation and infractions as modes of punishment for users. The whole point of infractions is to not be flexible. They are your 'last warning' and 'banned' punishments, plain and simple. Your initial warnings and all of the flexibility you need are accessible via the capacity to apply negative reputation.

Level 6
WTF R:Ban Spree of Users... Sorry

What the HELL!!!
Yeesh! Today i was felling really good and then you kill me, what did i do to deserve to be banned??! I felt like i was finally starting to fit in when the ban counter shoots through the roof...this is my favorite site in the whole universe! the community is nice, people are actually funny, and its resourceful. And I (am attempting to) promote possitivity with my signature. Yes, those who break the serious rules shuld be banned, but still..."innapropriate characters"??? I got that from just putting out some Japanese that i had learned in school... you guys have some sorta hatred for Japan? then i get multiple infractions for ONE THING, flaming, 3 infractions all on the same thread that now says it's "N/A". I try to be nice but when i just try to enjoy the rest of the (about) 70 years i still have to live. Plus i've worked very hard to get the little amount of reputation points i currently have.

I'm sorry if it sounds like im bitching...but this is just stupid...

OK I even got it in all of three hours:
|N/A| |06-20-2008| |04:24 AM| |Rui| Do not flame.
|N/A| |06-20-2008| |02:33 AM| |Pyritie| Flaming.
|N/A| |06-20-2008| |01:15 AM| |Septimus| Do not join the flame, use the report button instead.

Level 14
Speaking in another language other than English on the site is against the rules. Otherwise, I cannot speak for your past, but your current ranting is certainly not the proper way to conduct yourself on the forums.

Please, relax and enjoy your stay. We are trying as best we can to create a moderated and properly run site for you to enjoy.

Level 31
What the HELL!!!
Yeesh! Today i was felling really good and then you kill me, what did i do to deserve to be banned??! I felt like i was finally starting to fit in when the ban counter shoots through the roof...this is my favorite site in the whole universe! the community is nice, people are actually funny, and its resourceful. And I (am attempting to) promote possitivity with my signature. Yes, those who break the serious rules shuld be banned, but still..."innapropriate characters"??? I got that from just putting out some Japanese that i had learned in school... you guys have some sorta hatred for Japan? then i get multiple infractions for ONE THING, flaming, 3 infractions all on the same thread that now says it's "N/A". I try to be nice but when i just try to enjoy the rest of the (about) 70 years i still have to live. Plus i've worked very hard to get the little amount of reputation points i currently have.

|N/A| |06-20-2008| |01:15 AM| |Septimus| Do not join the flame, use the report button instead.

If a person really do read the rules and abide by it. Let alone infraction, a person could't even get negative reputation at all.

And those 3 infraction you mention is not infraction, but is negative reputation. Get 3 negative reputation is consider very lucky for you. Some people get bombard by 7-9 mod/admin in just a matter of flash with neg rep for violate rules.

If I could remember correctly, you wrote the japanese word at model & icon section several times despite 3-4 warnings from mod/admin. So, does you still blame mod/admin for the infraction you gain ?

Even if you been banned, you have nobody to be blame. But, you yourself.

Honestly enough, if a person really do abide the rules. The infraction system are totally impossible to harm them.

Level 17
If the site is going to stick with this 2 point system, they have to raise the stakes which earn you an infraction. Since there are less strikes than the old 10 point system.

I think the system is stupid as a whole anyway, it should just be bans instead of infractions right away. But it should be a ban with an increasing length each time.

First ban, one day

Second ban, 1 week

Third ban, 3 weeks

Etc...

Level 34
What the HELL!!!

First off those are -rep points, not infractions. So you won't get banned or anything.

Second, this isn't the right place for this rant. Use the Admin Contact to complain about unfair -rep or moderator abuse.

Third, getting three -rep points seem perfectly fair for saying,
shut up you...my comp lags whenever i try to edit that shit...and the icons shuld tell enuf by themselves and i told u NOT TO GIVE ME SHIT so go give bad comments to someone eles moron

Oh... Anyway, still a bad thing to do... -3 reps in one thread...
People get +20 rep from one post, so I don't see how -3 is all that much.

Read my statement carefully. It is negative reputation, not infraction.

At current system, 3 infraction eventually result to banned.
Multiple account usually would get permanent banned if mod/admin confirm about it.
It's two, not three. : )

Level 14
Volvox said:
I think there should be a positive version of infractions(something like + & - rep) so if you help the site in some way(by uploading a great resource or something), you get an infraction removed. That would inspire people who really want to be here to actually fix their behavior.
Infractions are designed to not be earned off like rep, though. That is part of the reason that the two (rep and infractions) are separate in the first place.

I think there should be a positive version of infractions(something like + & - rep) so if you help the site in some way(by uploading a great resource or something), you get an infraction removed. That would inspire people who really want to be here to actually fix their behavior.

agreeeD

Level 14
As far as I'm concerned, all infractions should be permanent.
Pyritie said:
If you get an infraction and then prove to be really helpful to the site, you could always post in admin contact and try to get it reversed.
If you get an infraction, it will stay with you. You can ask to reverse them, but unless they were wrongly given they will not be reversed.

Level 14
brad.dude03 said:
Yeah, I don't think permanent infractions are necessary all the time.
I think they are in all cases where an infraction is genuinely necessary. At least now with the new system, anyways. Also, Anachron's administration contact and discussion is legitimate. He was given a second chance by Wolv and Ralle.

Level 36
Well that's alright then since he was given special permission.

But no. People can get infractions for flaming. If they were angry, not in a right state of mind, anything, then I don't think it deserves to be permanent. They need the infraction, no doubt, but it's too teach a lesson, not to cut off a limb.

Level 14
I think that for being just angry and acting out in a given instance, I myself would give only a harsh slap on the wrist of negative rep. If they pushed it way out of reason, I would give a permanent infraction so they know in the future that we do not condone their persistent flaming and harassment. If they ever think to flame severely and flip out in the future, they'll see that permanent infraction and think twice. If they do it anyways, they're gone.

Everyone's entitled a different moderating style, of course, but that's mine.

Level 24
Hmm, this may seem epically stupid: But where do you see if you have infractions? Because to the bestof my knowledge I have none, but with the whole chat thing -- unsure.

On a related note, I was wondering why everyone suddenly had Banned as custom users titles. I felt left out.

EDIT: Why is there a non-existant page 7 on this thread?

Guys, i have 2 expired interfractons and 1 still alive, and how am i banned? i dont get it,
if ya dont belive me here is the SS, i fell bad becouse of that last interfraction i know i was a bich. Wait, i cant set it becous i am banned yeay for me! at least a mod or admin can see it. Fix it i have learned much from back then, i allways loved this site, i voted for it, i will still have hope in it, i will still help people, i had much fun! :(

Somewhat correct. The problem is that now vB won't let them change their user title to anything other than "Banned".

I want to test by giving someone 2 infractions then immediately reversing them to see if this fixes the problem, but I don't want to try so I don't get yelled at.

vB is really weird, I'm gonna use phpBB in my homepage.

Anyway, why not solve it with giving only admins bonusses?

Level 27
Yeah, it looks like Kimberly made all of her infractions perma. Dunno why.
It was how she used the system. It was legitimate when she did it.
automated banning?
No, it still requires a moderator to initiate the process.
i can imagine someone getting banned pretty fast by getting ina flame war with a mod or stuff like that
That would be one incident. After the flame war you would be punished. If you were warned during the flame war, but continued, then you might very well get harsher punishment.
imo bans should be for heavier offenses only
They are. The changes do not affect the moderators judgment.
Personally I don't get how a 2-point system will work any better than a 10-point; in fact, it's far less flexible. If we wanted to be more severe with punishments, we could just give out more points.
Now we adjust the amount of time. Before it was too subjective, in my opinion.
If they don't fix their behavior, we cannot forgive them.

The changes do not affect you.
  • Moderators can give infractions.
  • An infraction can have any point value.
  • An infraction can have a time limit.
  • When you get 2 (previously 10) infraction points, you are banned.
  • Infraction points are not the number of infractions you have.
Having variable points and time made the system very subjective. If anything, this new system could protect you from being banned unfairly from subjective judgment.

A moderator could have given you an infraction with a point value of 10, banning you immediately.
You are no closer to being banned than you previously were.

Status
Not open for further replies.