• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Audio Section

Do you think we should have music/sound section?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Kaitech[SanD];488521 said:
That's what mine does >.<

Keeps quality, and something like fifths the size...
The good:
Your tutorial is short and to the point. :thumbs_up:

The bad:
You are using Bitmaps in your tutorial. :thumbs_down:

The Ugly: (and ALL of you made this mistake)
You are recompressing MP3 and WMA files! :eek:

Seriously folks, you are asking for terrible results by doing that. Try grabbing an original WAV or AIFF file (from a CD you own...hint...hint :cool:) and compressing that.

(also) WMA is a much more efficient codec than MP3, so I'm going to hazard a guess that Brad.Dude's result probably came out the best, assuming the source files all had similar bitrates.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Like operator said at the beginning of this topic, the moderation would have to be restricted, and it would require moderators to download and listen to the sound.
A sound section would make people's lives so much easier. For example, I have been searching for Warcraft II music for quite a while, but all the sites yell that I must sign in or pay. If Warcraft III music can be exported, why can't Warcraft II music?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
The only thing I'd like to know is how to get it in .mp3 format.
After extracting it from the Wc2 MPQ it just comes out as an unknown file type (well, it's not supposed to be opened with a MPQ application I guess, since all the files there are unknown).

Level 12
Sounds & Music Corner

Greetings Empire,

An offer, I have.
Since you have made the map of "Black Panther", and did it with casting, I was wondering why shouldn't there be a nice corner for:
-Sounds
-Sound Packs and Scemes
-Music
...just like there is one for models, skins & icons.
It would be configured, and Hive admins would filter and review all the resources that are offered, just like they do with the rest.
It's just an offer, I just thought about it because I think it would make Warcraft even more customized than we make it now, and that many would enjoy it.
I hope you consider it, and if not - at least write what is the problem.
We've got nothin to lose. :grin:

Thank you, Empire.

Level 36
Yeah, sorry, but we don't have enough music developers here to make it worth while, and a Resource Section would only result in people uploading copyright audio.

However, if you do want to showcase anything you've made, or request voice actors, you can check out the Sound Art forum here on The Hive.

Level 10
Sound section

Ive been thinking about this for a while and finally think it needs to be put out there. We need a resource section for SOUNDs!
Sounds, both voice acting and sfx are a huge part of a good map. Cinematics are made much better when utilizing voice acting.
Custom Games that have sfx for events and whatnot are much more fun to play.
If you think that we should have a sound section, please post here on why, or if you don't, why not.

Qab

Qab

Level 5
Well, i came across this post looking to see if I had to make this. I am always limited to normal sound sets for characters.
It's not going to happen because people will just upload sounds from other games and stuff. A sound's authenticity is harder to get than, say, a model's.
Well, two things,
One: Maybe we might need quotes from characters in other games/movies
Two: Code of Honor, 'nough said

Level 4
A new download?

I've been wanting some good audio for some of my maps like scary audio for my Murder at the mansion or epic msuic for my orpg but you only get a choice from the warcraft 3 selections so maybe we could have a new area where we could make submit and download soundtracks =D

I thinks its a good idea plus it would definetly make a better change than listening to the same old music again and again if instead we could listen to rock music while playing a td =)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem with moderation is not actually doing it, it is being good at doing it. As there are millions of songs and sounds, it is hard to tell if any are stolen.

A sound could be lifted directly from a game no one plays or a song no one listens to and then be claimed as ones own. How can you tell if you can not find the source.

Last edited:
Level 4
=P its just that having sounds would be so much better or maybe just better ambient music? in any case the warcraft 3 soundtrack is lame after listening to it once so maybe we could find a way somehow? or maybe make a tool which makes music from the hive and is the only tool allowed to make music for this website? =) and all copyrights will go down to us =P

Level 4
good point =P but i think it would be cool to maybe make a tool with lots of premade sounds and music made by us so other people can make custom music at a compressed size for warcraft 3 =) it would give them more customization on the type of music they'd want =D good idea?

Level 12
The problem with music is that everybody has a diffrent taste. I my house, I jam out to rock, my mom's calm with classic, my brother listens to heavy metal, and I've never heard my dad listen to music.

And thats just a 4 person house. With 3 mods, they'd have to have a deverse taste in music, willing to listen and consider whats been placed infront of them, and acually compare it to others to see if its been "done" before. And I doubt any grown man could listen to music made for battle and such for a long time without losing it

Level 4
its not about that its more of just making a better choice of soundtrack for the game not being able to jam out to your favourite tunes while playing an orpg...

its just more about creating ambients and making a music more to your liking without it being actual music just a compilation of sounds which you then put together to make either an ambience or music set for your map... get the drift?

Level 12
But how do you judge the music? That's the question. Are you going to judge based on your thoughts? How it flows? The melody? It's so hard to judge music to a point were people can agree that its acually good or not is nearly impossible. Alot of music critiques get a reputation for saying a good song is bad and vis versa, that nobody wants them anymore, which is what will probably happen

Level 4
well i'll judge them =) i know exactly what im looking for im looking for music that will work in warcraft 3 at an appropriate size with good quality if possible as well =D that is also appropriate ingame so it isn't like an eminem song.. thats for sure =).

And plus we could use minimod as well trust me as long as we put a lil effort in we could see some gr8 ambience or music in future maps =)

Level 12
I Have created a system for judging sound Bytes. I feel this system could allow for fast ratings, that are very useful when looking for sounds.
The Moderator Perhaps could turn off The (-2,-1) if they found the sound to be complete without a misleading name that they felt was not a copyright issue.

Sound Byte Judging

• -2 ,Clearly Stolen/Clearly a Copyright Issue
  • -1 ,Incomplete Sound(The sound is cut off)/Misleading Name
  • +0 ,Sound Byte is of poor sound quality
  • +1 ,Sound Byte is of decent sound quality
  • +2 ,Impressed With sound Byte
Demo Sound Byte

Sound Byte Name: Guy pretending to sound like a mad dog
Sound Byte Length: 7 sec
Intro/Ending: None
Loops Into Self: No
Music: No
By: Rover2341

Moderator Rating is 1
Average User Rating is 1.6

Notes: Not Intended, to sound like a Real Dog, Intended to be sound of a guy pretending to sound like a dog.
Some uses could be used when someone gets mad at someone, or is telling a story about a dog that got mad at him.
Personally I would say according to my system This would be a 0(If you thought sound quality was poor) or 1-2 depending you thought of it. I personally give it a 2.

Attachments

• GuyPretendingToSoundLikeMadDog.zip
    95 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Maybe like this:
You can only submit soundsets.
You have to record a test sound where you say "The Hive Workshop" and then attach the rest of your sounds, so we compare the test with the sounds.

No way, not at all. That'd defeat the purpose of MUSIC section, and barely few people would really use soundsets. I myself always turn them off in my maps, cause they're annoying.

Community moderation is the way to go. Basically, a moderator moderates music according to his own opinion, and tries to check out if it's stolen. If he doesn't succeed doing that, there are lots of users that have played lots of games and heard lots of bands and watched lots of movies, that could confirm it's stolen, then link an example.

However, remixing a track shouldn't be allowed, while recomposing it would, because that's what music is about today, sometimes two track sound a like cause they're recomposed version of each others, or use a single riff.

So if I would make an 8-bit rendition/cover of an existing music from scratch for instance, that would be allowed?

And I think it should be forbidden to submit converted music (such as midi files played from GSXCC, which plays them in fake 8-bit style).
Why? It's pretty obvious when Person A converts a work made by Person B without Person B's awareness or permission.

Level 12
If this was passed, I'd say have a few mods that can investigate into it and see if its stolen or not, and then pass it off to the community to moderate. It would have a few bugs every once in awhile, with people downrating it, or making a sound thats very simaliar to another sound or somthing from another game, but that could be worked out between the mods.

Level 12
I see your point, that if you were to allow only a few people to send in sounds. that you would have only decent sounds that are allowed. But to me that defeats the purpose of the hive. To me the hive is a place, for people who are brand new at making sounds/music or maps or models ect. To learn and improve.

But I guess if you allowed most anyone, then it might go to crap if too many submissions are ageist the rules. Then try it your way.

Lol, bytes

It was just the concept. If you guys went ahead with this, I was just putting something out there, I wouldn't except you to take what i had in its entirety or at all. I just wanted to be clear that it could be music and it could be a person speaking and it could be a sound effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.