• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Artifact TD v.1.23

This is what i was working on the last few months... It's my fourth greater map now, but it's my first TD.

It contains lots of old and new elements, an assessable range of upgrades that will be extended in later versions, and some consumeables and random towers that can be purchased at the shops.

During the game, you gain Score-Points which can be saved and loaded. When you have enough Score-Points, you can unlock new, special Artifacts!

It is essential that you read the loadscreen. I hope you enjoy my map and leave comments.

XelNecra
(Ingame: BwS.XelNecra @Northrend)

==Important News==

Version 1.23.

It is finally done. After more than half a year. It mainly took us that logn because of school and work, but in the last few days we worked hard on getting it all done. I hope you like the results.

A new set of 4 random Artifacts has been added. Those Artifacts offer totally new tactics. In addition to that, the Darksteel set has been revamped, giving massive bonuses to the Artifacts. But this power has its price... find out yourself.

Enjoy!

Keywords:
Artifact, TD, Tower Defense, Tower, Defense, Surviver, Maul, Solo, Save, Load, Code, Score, XP, EXP
Contents

Artifact TD v.1.23 (Map)

Reviews
MasterHaosis: Hey I see here alot of improvements even I think this map is for multiplayer only. Well I like your new towers there. I see in your map nice efort, nice done terrain. Rate is Usefull (for multiplayers only). Sorry for whaiting we must...

M

MasterHaosis: Hey I see here alot of improvements even I think this map is for multiplayer only. Well I like your new towers there. I see in your map nice efort, nice done terrain. Rate is Usefull (for multiplayers only).
Sorry for whaiting we must whait until come htis new map section
[APPROVED]

Level 1
It is similar to gem tower defense, but not the same. Congratulations i like this tower defense.
I hope you will update new towers and items and decrease the wood-costs for random towers. Good Job !

Level 1
It is similar to gem tower defense, but not the same. Congratulations i like this tower defense.
I hope you will update new towers and items and decrease the wood-costs for random towers. Good Job !

Level 4
It is on 2/0 because then it fits to the other hotkeys (i made the hotkeys q w e r, in the order of the buttons). But maybe you're right and I should move it...

Release of v.1.04 will be 29.02.2008. It contains various fixes and balances as well as at least one new Tower-set. I'm also on a mind to create some more consumeables that give your towers temporary buffs, so the next version will be worth downloading (again ^^)

Ash

Ash

Level 22
The whole TD scene isn't really my thing, I enjoy a good one now and then but I can't play one all the time; much like dota.

However, this one caught my eye because of it's 'Score-Point' system that made me think it has RPG elements, man that would've been awesome. However, after playing it I've noticed that you can't really get anywhere without score points. Basically, it's too blooming hard to play without uber amounts of points for uber towers.

The game begins relatively simple, almost a clone of Gem TD, if you wish. However, the difficulty increases massively by the time you hit wave 5 and then, unless you know to check the -air command, you're smashed by air units which are practically unbeatable, may I add, without proper anti air.

Don't get me wrong, I checked -air, and I survived too, yet the other players I was with didn't. As any other player would, I played on. Then I reached level 11. The only thing I can really say about that wave was; 'WOAH'. The practically skipped through my defense, as did the waves after that.

With that aside, though, this map has took a pretty new idea and constructed a map from it, kudos for that. The towers have a pretty good balance and the way that the map is set out allows for imaginative mazes. Although, this is certainly one for the TD 'nerds', as per say, because if you don't read tooltips and the like, you'll be squeeling by wave 8.

The score system allows for a new 'dimension' of TD's, as the playability increases because you have to play it over and over again to finish it. And, one would presume, the game gets funner as you go along.

3/5

tfr.didi

T

tfr.didi

I like the TD very much!

What i like is, that you can play the map alone as good as in the multiplayer mod. The only disadvantage in the single player mod is, that you dont get any score points

I hope xel.necra will go on with his work because he made a nice map with the Artifact TD!

Btw: I didn't found any bug in the map ;-)

:fp:Rating: 10/10

Level 4
The whole TD scene isn't really my thing, I enjoy a good one now and then but I can't play one all the time; much like dota[...]
I really hear very often that the Air-Waves are imbalanced, however, everyone (playing on the difficulties easy, normal or hard, starting with 0 score) who builds at least one Anti-Air-Artifact within the first 10 rounds (which is really not that hard, you should even be able to upgrade it) will have no problem with that air-wave. All Air-Waves except the last one are really well balanced and easy to beat unless you do not build enough Anti-Air, and the last one will be rebalanced in 1.13.. Most people build Artifacts and pwn the ground-waves before they even reach the first checkpoint, but they die because of air. Not because of the missing gold but because they just did not pay attention...

But well, I must admit that the last two difficulties are just too hard. They are for those players who unlocked the Darksteel-Techtree and the Portals. I cant say whether that is something "for nerds", but well, I actually got many complains about the limited number of unlockable Artifacts, so I keep up adding new unlockable Artifacts. New ones might really think that it is impossible to unlock the Elemental Altar for example, but well, when you start the game, you play on easy. Playing on Hard (when you're "pro") will grant you x3 score, and after unlocking the Darksteel-Tree and playing on "Godlike" you get x4 points. So the more you play, the faster you gain Score. In addition to that, the first few Artifacts can easily be unlocked by playing the game 5 or 6 times because the amount of score is very low. After that you unlocked about 3 new Artifacts.
This way, players who play my map several times are rewarded and new players are still able to unlock "Their first Artifacts" very fast.

Level 2
I'd just like to add to this that Darksteel towers are practically useless. With the exception of the Necrogen towers, they have average damage, and they cost a bloody fortune in gold. Much better to use basic towers/random. I can beat Godlike (barely) with normals but Darksteel is a complete loss for me =/ (Current score 1600ish)

Level 6
This map stands out, and that's great.
It's nice to see a td, where it's not just the same old thing.
I really like the idea, and gameplay, either you maze, or get Artifacts!
Nice work on the towers.
This map is nearly to perfection :D
9½/10

Level 1
whilst playing with my brother, its been lagging and kicking him out of the game about halfway through (lvl 20-24) and thought perhaps it was a bug...
it says this message once he has been booted
"d/c... WTF O.O"
thanks

Level 4
Never heard of that bug though...
I will check it. And no, ATD is not dead. A new version will be released this month. I know that i promised that several times to several people, but Arkless will force me using physical power, so i have no choice :hohum:

Level 2
Meh, my map was royally screwed, too (and I have 0 instances of the return bug).

I have a question for you. Why do you have an S2I function that uses the return bug?

Edit: I'm sure you know this, but have you used the temporary fix of sticking call DoNothing()s in between the return lines of your return bug functions? And you know there's a StringHash native, right? Does the same thing as the S2I function.

Level 4
Meh, my map was royally screwed, too (and I have 0 instances of the return bug).

I have a question for you. Why do you have an S2I function that uses the return bug?

Edit: I'm sure you know this, but have you used the temporary fix of sticking call DoNothing()s in between the return lines of your return bug functions? And you know there's a StringHash native, right? Does the same thing as the S2I function.

Actually i didnt know. The Areas of the script thats use the return bug are Arkless' sections (to be honest i didnt even knew what the return bug was before it screwed up our map), and i dont touch his sections, mainly because i dont understand his sections oO But he's currently waiting for me to do something i dont find time for, before he can finish the map.
I know that this is the third time that the release is delayed, but there will be a new vesion of this map for sure!

Level 2
Hi there

I slowly wonder when the next version will be released.
Arkless was testing several new towers months ago and all of them are working since a long time.
So what are you waiting for?:hohum:

Read this part of XelNecra's post:

…But he's currently waiting for me to do something i dont find time for, before he can finish the map. …

This is why a new version has not been released.

Level 2
will the new version resolve the issue of our beloved nephilims dying during the dmg test stage? :) i believe it's something related to the star-dust rune that triggers the allergic reaction.

Level 2
hmm, i was wondering if you ever got my replay. if you guys need some beta testers, ill gladly come to northrend, given a time/game name :)

sorry for not bringing up these bugs earlier xD

Level 1
Well. It is nearly a month since you told that you would test it and we have not seen anything since? Any update on the next version?

Level 4
After finishing my part of the map, i gave it to arkless about a month ago so he could do his part. No chance to blame me anylonger.
I also asked him several times to finish the map. After he is done, the map must be tested, then it is released. Get him to hurry and you'll get the map faster, i tried already.

Level 1
I'm sorry if you thought that i was blaming you for anything. Making a map takes time, i know that. I was simply asking if you know if the map will be done soon. :)

Level 4
Ofc it takes time, but i know by myself that it usually doesnt take /that/ much time. The last version was released in march if i remember it right. After that, i was busy with my job, and then Arkless was (or is) busy with his school. I cant promise that the new content is worth waiting 8 months, i really cant.
Speaking of the content.
The towers have been scrapped because the map was screwed up again somehow (ask arkless, not me, i have no clue what exactly happened). The Map is now at Arkless again, and he said he might rebuild the towers but he might also create something new.
The new version is worked on, and it will come, but i cant tell when. I am very sorry for the waiting and the delays all the time, and if i were you i would be disappointed as well, but Reallives are first. We'll try to get the map released soon. It will be released before the year ends, hopefully already this month.

Level 3
i'm a previous world editor user, but now i have abandoned it lol this is an exceptional TD i liked it a lot , the difficulty however is greatly balanced (not for TD noobs of course)

tho i highly recommend plz add scores to singe player :(

rating 5/5

Level 3
i wish the new one would come sooner, and the forum site is no longer existing.. im only at 500+ points atm and can defeat artifact master... but godlike.. how the hell

Level 4
Actually Arkless (now AncientOfLol) passed the map back to me yesterday.
To justify the time it took us, i will also do a major Darksteel revamp, giving all Darksteel Artifacts a new sort of "character", which wont be very time-consuming. Literally, the only hard part will be the balancing of the four new artifacts made by Ancient.

Level 2
so

I have 1.24d of froxen throne and most maps from Hive doesnt even show up when I try to start a map.

Before I updated from 1.21a I could see them in my list but only play a few, most of them just popped right back to the map selection screen after trying to load a map. That is why i updated, and as I said, now I cant even see most of the maps (maybe 1 of 5 is visible).

Any help would be greatly apriciated.