• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animation Contest #1 Poll!

Which is your favorite dance animation?

• ColdStar's

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Pyritie's

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • SuPa-'s

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • LordOglog's

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • RED BARON's

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Vote for your favorite dance animations.

ColdStar's Hammertime
hammertimeqp1.gif

Pyritie's Saturday Night Fever
humpoz8.gif

SuPa-'s Half-Baked Animations
supawe5.gif

LordOglog's Breakdancing
danceme4.gif

RED BARON's Crazy Paladin
paldanceid8.gif

Good luck all contestants, thanks for participating.

Side note: I'm happy with the turnout of this contest, so there will be a second Animation Contest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The gif plays slowly because of the stupid snow; they all do. At least for me.

I haven't voted yet, I'm going to critique each one to tell you guys where I think you could improve and then I'll make a decision.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I reminded you many times but you never added an in game screenshot, I'm sorry...

Contest Rules And Conditions

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.

2. Model(s) used must not be altered from the provided models. Bone structure, however, may be changed slightly or in some cases made from scratch when import of the bone structure is not possible for the chosen animation program.

3. Animation(s) must show properly in game without rotation errors or anything to the effect.

4. Animation(s) should have decent timing.

5. Submissions should be uploaded in .mdx format and must use the appropriate in game textures, and include an in game screenshot of the model functioning properly.

6. Submissions must be posted before the deadline.

7. All animations must be made for this competition, no old works allowed.

8. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Alright gents, here we go.

This is very good, the movement is nice, he doesn't stand too still at any point, and it resembles the actual dance quite well.

The only critique really is the part after the shuffle, I find it unnecessary. Also, he would fall over if he were to lean so far back. I personally would have just left it out, the jump-shuffle works perfectly well on its own.

Suggestions would be to animate the beard to flow with the movements and to maybe move the shoulders around a tad when shuffling; things like this would just give a more complete and fluent feeling.

I like the idea, and you got the basic movements down, you just have to make it more fluent and as said before, get the rest of the body moving. The first part with the arm would use lateral movement in the torso and some bending in the legs/hip movements. The humping could use bending legs. The turn could look a bit more fluent, at the moment he seems to bend a bit and then float around in the same position.

Your rigging appears to be off, you need to incorporate the shoulder into the upper arm for it to look correct. Also there seems to be an issue with the stomach mesh which becomes visible in the spin. Take a bit more time fiddling with the rigging to make sure it all looks correct before moving on to animation.

It's a nice concept and you laid down the basic movements quite well, you just need to go through and smooth it all out and make it fluent.

I admire that you went out of your way to try something extravagent, however you didn't pull it off completely. The first boogie is quite fun, but the feet need to stay planted! That's a problem many people have with animating, but it is necessary to make it look realistic enough. It's worth taking some time to practice getting it right, your animations will look much better when you get it down. Also, the torso needs more lateral movement, it looks too still right now.

To be perfectly honest, you really pulled off the first hop, he jumps and bends beautifully. It's that transition into the flip at the end that ruins it. You could spend some time making that last movement more fluent, it would have looked better as a whole. He could have held the handstand for a bit longer in my opinion and not been so jittery. The return from the handstand should have been better, it doesn't look right for him to fly all the way back like that.

The final spin just looks incomplete, I know you could have put more effort into that part.

Just work on fluency and planting those feet.

I'm glad someone used the Shadow Hunter, I thought he was the model with the most potential. Breakdancing is a fun idea, but you need to work on it a bit. The first part, the spinning, I like the concept but it looks very unrealistic, you should watch some references and see how all the limbs bend and twist to make sure it looks right. The dismount from it looks funky, he shouldn't rotate backwards like that.

The jump could use up and down movement for proper emphasis, right now he sort of floats in place. The handstand is good, just speed it up a bit (the actual movement part, not the holding.) While he's holding you could add some bending and teetering though, but it isn't necessary.

The tiny shuffle is useless, the next part is a better version of it, so I won't discuss this one. The final shuffle is good, speed it up a bit and make him do more of a jump from side to side; a bit of up and down movement and bending would look good.

Lastly, get that beard animated! Beards aren't made of solid steel!

I'm sorry, but this really is crazy, I have no idea what he is trying to do. I'll just comment on any issues I see with the animation.

He needs lateral torso movement, you should always make the torso bend with the arms in any movements they make. Try to animate limbs only with rotations, not transitions. Transitions cause ugly stretching like he has with his left arm. Rigging should allow for any necessary movements. His legs seem to be randomly floating around for no reason; if they aren't supposed to be suspended in the air then get them planted and bending correctly, if they are in the air try and make the movement more orderly with he rest of the model.

All in all his torso is way too still, get that chest and pelvis moving!

With the flip, you need to make the limbs react in the proper way, his body looks still and flat as a board.

Next time I would just suggest finding a good concept to base your animation on so that way it doesn't just go all over the place.
For my own personal ranks, I guess they would be:

Originality: SuPa-
Fluency: ColdStar
Diversity: LordOglog

My overall choice is ColdStar though.

All in all guys, very well done, all of you. I'm happy with the results of this contest, and I look forward to seeing all of you improve in the next one! Keep up the good work!

Level 35
I'm sorry, but this really is crazy, I have no idea what he is trying to do. I'll just comment on any issues I see with the animation.

He needs lateral torso movement, you should always make the torso bend with the arms in any movements they make. Try to animate limbs only with rotations, not transitions. Transitions cause ugly stretching like he has with his left arm. Rigging should allow for any necessary movements. His legs seem to be randomly floating around for no reason; if they aren't supposed to be suspended in the air then get them planted and bending correctly, if they are in the air try and make the movement more orderly with he rest of the model.

All in all his torso is way too still, get that chest and pelvis moving!

With the flip, you need to make the limbs react in the proper way, his body looks still and flat as a board.

Next time I would just suggest finding a good concept to base your animation on so that way it doesn't just go all over the place.

HeHe Knew it. Actualy called it crasy as it was crasy bad made.. :wgrin:

1)
There was two major things messing this up (realy realy messing it):
I made that huge mistake making the torso, top of his legs, chest added to the origin of the model and the bone where all the other bones was connectet to = I couldnt move it without moving the whole model :wbored:

2)
Time issue.. I used around 5 min on it (the last part) and the start part was from the other anim I made with weapon in his hand before realising they was forbidden. So he actualy place his hammer on the ground to use it as stripping poll (that is what was intended with the anim that shrewed up)

But thanks for the Critique anyway Chriz I like to know that what I did know also realy was wrong.
And I did learn quite a bit from you comments on the other ones.
But this I dont think of as an anim.. more like some faliure. Looking forward to the next, when will it be up? :wwink:

Level 10
Suggestions would be to animate the beard to flow with the movements and to maybe move the shoulders around a tad when shuffling; things like this would just give a more complete and fluent feeling.
Hey Chriz, thanks for the critique its much appreciated man. I actually sat and watched the old MC Hammer video to prepare, lol! I agree the "finale" is kinda weak, the beard did get some movement too but I should try to exaggerate it more in future. Looking back I think I would've spent more time on the feet during the shuffle too.

Level 10
Wow I feel very honored you guys liked my animation so much. It's definitely appreciated! I've really enjoyed modeling/animating now that I've gotten back into it. My backgrounds in programming originally and I'll tell ya it can take weeks before you see any decent output from code, with this you get to see your results immediately! It's quite refreshing. Thanks to anyone who voted for my animation, you rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.