• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animating Contest #2 - Poll

Vote for your favorite animation!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to all *cough* who entered! There were lots of animations to do and you two did it!

Soo... vote for your favourite animation!

Contestants
  • KingBob
    attachment.php
  • skrab
    attachment.php

Prizes
  • First Place: 60 reputation points and an award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points

Contest Judging and Voting

• The winner shall be determined by a public poll, as well as Pyritie and Donut3.5 acting as judges.
  • The poll shall count as 50% of the final score, and each of the judges count as 25%.
  • Each judge shall grade each animation out of 40 points.
    • Integrity - Do the animations work in-game? Are they named correctly? Do they loop and not loop where appropriate? (5 maximum)
    • Rigging and Bone Structure - Was the model rigged well? Are there any parts of the mesh that move when they shouldn't? (10 maximum)
    • Creativity - How creatively did the animator interpret the required animations? (10 maximum)
    • Animation quality - How smooth are the animations? Does the model "twitch" or "shake"? Are the animations well-made? (15 maximum)
  • The rule about extra votes has been removed because there were only two contestants. :p
  • All other normal contest rules apply (no voting for yourself, no multi-accounting, etc.)

Voting is open for two weeks. Poll closes on the 16th.

Be sure to download them and test them yourself!

Attachments

• KingBob.gif
    KingBob.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 780
  • skrab.gif
    skrab.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 757
Last edited:

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I don't like Skrab's animations at all, they are very basic and don't give any particular character to the dragon. On the other hand, KingBob did a mighty fine job if you ask me. They look more natural and smooth, and technically well made. So King's got my vote.

Level 25
yea my animations does suck, they look more like some dragon robot and stuff >.> but for a second full model animation i'm quite happy :gg: i learned a lot through this competition :D so beware next competition :razz:
btw thanks for the kind votes :wink:

and Congratulations to Kingbob :angry:

Next time don't make an competition for an request!!!

KingBob's were good, not perfect, but very good, i liked most except for Walk, he needs to practice more leg movement.

about scrab, man what happened, I thought you could do better than that. You needed that reality feeling when animating.

Anyways I may make a tutorial about the Basics of Animation, to see if I can help the community animators. I see most animators lacking in many areas.

• KingBob
    • Integrity - 5 - The animations work ingame and are named correctly, and loop where appropriate.
    • Rigging and bone structure - 10 - The rigging is good and the parts of the model move when they should and don't when they shouldn't.
    • Creativity - 5 - While the animations did what was required, they weren't very different from the basic "bite", "roar", etc.
    • Animation Quality - 14 - The animations were VERY smooth, and looked very life-like. In the death animation, for example, you kept in mind that the wings would float down to the ground instead of just falling down. Also there was no visible twitching or shaking. However, during some of the animations a leg went through a wing.
    • OVERALL: 34
  • Skrab
    • Integrity - 5 - The animations work ingame and are named correctly, and loop where appropriate.
    • Rigging and bone structure - 10 - The rigging is good and the parts of the model move when they should and don't when they shouldn't.
    • Creativity - 7 - While some of the animations were more creative, like the spell animation, others were pretty basic and just did what was required and not much else.
    • Animation Quality - 8 - Skrab, what happened? Your animations looked more like a puppet or robot than a living creature. Your charge animation just looked like a sped-up walk, and the wings in your death animation were all over the place. However, you did do more animations than KingBob (including a portrait), which gets you a few bonus points.
    • OVERALL: 30

Now we just have to wait for donut3.5's review. :3

Level 27
Bump: Judging

Skrab:
Integrity: (4/5)
All animations were fine ingame, I don't know if "Eat" is a valid animation name, however since that is how Pyritie requested it, I wont mark this down. However, in some animations, the wing goes below the ground.
Rigging and bone structure (8/10)
Didn't seem to cause problems, however you should really try to have only one root bone.
Creativity (7/10)
Very basic, didn't really stretch outside the box. Try to exaggerate your animations more to fit the WC3 style better.
Animation Quality (10/15)
No real twitching or shaking or weird stuff like that (one noted was in the death animation), but the animations are boring. They move fairly slow, and some areas of the body don't move enough. Walk alternate was supposed to be a run, however it looks more like a walk with his head down low. The normal walk looked robotic and unnatural.
Total: (29/40)

KingBob:
Integrity: (3/5)
All animations were fine ingame. However, you didn't do 2 animations requested (spell summon and spell ultimate)
Rigging and bone structure (6/10)
Name your bones. That's not the main issue though, a ton of bones were unused, creating around 70 bones which just wasted filesize.
Creativity (9/10)
The use of the fire during death was cool, also the movements were nice and it is clear some thought was used.
Animation Quality (13/15)
Pretty smooth animations, however the walk was too slow. A giant lumbering feeling (if that was what you were going for) wasn't created all that well, so it looks like he's just slowed in time. The wings were animated very well, and the dissipate was done also very well.
Total: (31/40)

--donut3.5--

• skrab
    • Poll: 9 votes x 50% = 4.5
    • Pyritie judging: 30 x 25% = 7.5
    • donut3.5 judging: 29 x 25% = 7.25
    • Total: 19.25
  • KingBob
    • Poll: 35 votes x 50% = 17.5
    • Pyritie judging: 34 x 25% = 8.5
    • donut3.5 judging: 31 x 25% = 7.75
    • Total: 33.75