• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animated Scenery in WC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty self explanatory :>
The idea occured to me and i started doing it, and eventually going further.

I gotta say wc3 atmosphere is much better with those. they will cost your map 262KB if you use all of them.

If you have a map in progress and wants to get the doodads moving download the "animated scenery.zip" package below and WinMPQ and follow the instructions.

Previews:
Signature.gif

165527-albums1520-picture76291.gif

Changelog:

Nov 20, 2013
- Outland Plant 1 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 2 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 3 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 4 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 5 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 6 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 7 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Outland Plant 8 shakes with the wind and does some other stuff too.
- Lordaeron Summer Corn shakes with the wind. :>
- Felwood Lily Pad floats as it should.
- Updated map and package with that and added some instructions on how to import all the doodads at once to any map.

Nov 19, 2013
- Ruins Viny Plant 1 shake with the wind.
- Ruins Viny Plant 2 shake with the wind.
- Ruins Viny Plant 3 shake with the wind.
- Ruins Viny Plant 4 shake with the wind.
- Updated map with all current doodads
- Updated package with all current doodads. They are in the correct pathes, so if you import the whole "Doodads" folder to your map through some MPQ browser tool, it will replace the static doodads as you open your map again.
- Just figured out that AshenCanopyTree animations apply to all canopy trees. So: Barrens, Sunken Ruins, Northrend, Icecrown Glacier and Felwood Canopy Trees are all animated as you import the Ashenvale one.

Aug 20, 2011
- Felwood Thorns 1 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 2 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 3 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 4 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 5 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 6 grow and shrink overtime
- Felwood Thorns 7 grow and shrink overtime

Jul 12, 2011
- Felwood Cattail shakes with the wind
- Ruins Cattail 1 shakes with the wind (Named as Ruins_Rush0 in MPQ)
- Ruins Cattail 2 shakes with the wind (Named as Ruins_Rush1 in MPQ)
- Ashenvale Mushrooms 1 randomly grow and die overtime emmitting spores

Oct 12, 2010
- Added the doodads compressed to a package
- Created a map with the scenery imported to it

Oct 09, 2010
- River Rushes 1 shake with the wind
- River Rushes 2 shake with the wind
- River Rushes 3 shake with the wind
- River Rushes 4 shake with the wind
- Ruins Flower 1 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Flower 2 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Flower 3 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Flower 4 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Flower 5 shakes with the wind

Oct 04, 2010
- Ruins Shrub 1 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Shrub 2 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Shrub 3 shakes with the wind
- Ashenvale Canopy Tree 1 moves slower
- Ashenvale Canopy Tree 2 moves slower
- Ashenvale Canopy Tree 3 moves slower
- Ashenvale Bush fixed

Oct 03, 2010
- Ashenvale Bush shakes with the wind
-Ashenvale Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Ashenvale Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Ashenvale Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Barrens Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Barrens Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Barrens Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Felwood Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Felwood Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Felwood Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Icecrown Glacier Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Icecrown Glacier Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Icecrown Glacier Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Northrend Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Northrend Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Northrend Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Canopy Tree 1 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Canopy Tree 2 shakes with the wind
- Ruins Canopy Tree 3 shakes with the wind
- Ashenvale Cattail shakes with the wind

Download a package with all the doodads:
Download map with imported doodads:

Oh, and I didn't mention you should credit me for my work before because I think that's simply a matter of common sense and respect. But I saw my doodads somewheres and I'll reinforce that it is nice of you to recognize I've done them, through your maps credits and stuff. and let me know of your projects with it, i like to see stuff i made being used :>

Attachments

• Wind_Shaking_AshenCatTail.mdx
    8.6 KB · Views: 444
  • Wind_Shaking_AshenBush0.mdx
    3.1 KB · Views: 341
  • Wind_Shaking_AshenCanopyTree0.mdx
    7.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Wind_Shaking_AshenCanopyTree1.mdx
    7.6 KB · Views: 347
  • Wind_Shaking_AshenCanopyTree2.mdx
    8.5 KB · Views: 333
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Shrub0.mdx
    4.1 KB · Views: 346
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Shrub1.mdx
    4.1 KB · Views: 373
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Shrub2.mdx
    5.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Flower0.mdx
    6.2 KB · Views: 342
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Flower1.mdx
    8.3 KB · Views: 316
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Flower2.mdx
    8.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Flower3.mdx
    5.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Flower4.mdx
    6.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Wind_Shaking_RiverRushes0.mdx
    6.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Wind_Shaking_RiverRushes1.mdx
    14.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Wind_Shaking_RiverRushes2.mdx
    9.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Wind_Shaking_RiverRushes3.mdx
    5.3 KB · Views: 331
  • Wind_Shaking_FelwoodCatTail.mdx
    8.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Rush0.mdx
    8.2 KB · Views: 324
  • Wind_Shaking_Ruins_Rush1.mdx
    10.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Growing_AshenShrooms0.mdx
    5.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns0.mdx
    2.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns1.mdx
    2.4 KB · Views: 276
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns2.mdx
    2.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns3.mdx
    2.6 KB · Views: 261
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns4.mdx
    1.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns5.mdx
    1.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Growing_Felwood_Thorns6.mdx
    1.6 KB · Views: 279
  • WindShaking_VinyPlant0.mdx
    4.5 KB · Views: 199
  • WindShaking_VinyPlant1.mdx
    5.5 KB · Views: 199
  • WindShaking_VinyPlant2.mdx
    5.5 KB · Views: 197
  • WindShaking_VinyPlant3.mdx
    5.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Floating_FelwoodLillyPad.mdx
    2.4 KB · Views: 230
  • Wind_Shaking_Corn.mdl
    14.6 KB · Views: 158
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant0.mdx
    7.1 KB · Views: 213
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant1.MDX
    9.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant2.MDX
    8.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant3.MDX
    9.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant4.MDX
    6.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant5.MDX
    7.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant6.MDX
    8.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Wind_Shaking_Outland_Plant7.MDX
    3.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
This is an idea that had existed for a while now, but the fact that you're actually doing it is sweet. The only problem is that now several score files just got a lot bigger.
What do you mean by that?
I believe that all the animated models will take up around 500KB or so of raw filesize... compressed in the map it might be like 300KB...

Level 16
that would best come separate, as sometimes, i don't want a zombie map with racoons and birds flying in, or some ghost town maps..i prefer trees and doadads to be for general/any purpose,so all games could use it, if you want racoons, or birds, making several doadads effect attachment would be nice :D

@Debode: that's exactly what I had in mind :p

that would best come separate, as sometimes, i don't want a zombie map with racoons and birds flying in, or some ghost town maps..i prefer trees and doadads to be for general/any purpose,so all games could use it, if you want racoons, or birds, making several doadads effect attachment would be nice :D
Every model import in WC3 comes separate. And there would be a Felwood variant for the racoons that's rather a spider hanging down on a tree by its silk and then climbing it up, or a bat flying from tree to tree (a small group of trees with custom pathing).

Updated!
Added 3 shrubs and fixed the bush and the 3 trees.
The ruin shrubs is the only shrub that exists. It's used in the Ashenvale tileset also. I'm gonna finish Ashenvale, then move on to another one.

If you were using the previous ones download them again, except the cattail.

@razor21, I'll do the snowy ones too, very soon, you can count on them.

The sad part is that you are animating horrible doodads >.>
(No offense)

If I were you,
I'd take a look at what doodads most terrainers use.
I don't plan to recreate WC3 doodads, I'm just animating everything that is in the Doodads folder in the MPQ, not the UTM.
If you want specific doodads to be animated, tell me which.
Most terrainers use some trees that imo don't fit WC3, with plain textures and too many polies...
several polies + animation + mass quantity = lag.
I don't think that the standard doodads are all that horrible.

About the pillars, I'll do them.

Level 35
Well, thats a matter of taste.

In any case, personally I would love to see the "Shrub: Bush 4" doodad from UTM animated, and probably some tree models too. For instance the three green elven trees that also can be found in the UTM. Probably also the "Fern" doodad from UTM, the green one.

Well, thats a matter of taste.

In any case, personally I would love to see the "Shrub: Bush 4" doodad from UTM animated, and probably some tree models too. For instance the three green elven trees that also can be found in the UTM. Probably also the "Fern" doodad from UTM, the green one.
Ok, I'll have a look at them.
I need the permission from the author first, right?

Wow, that's an awesome and considerate gesture, thanks =)
You're welcome. :)

You could add an animation to the trees where they fall leaves.
That's a pretty nice idea. maybe with a rarity of 3 or 4, and some animal jumping off of it, under that category of 'doodads including interacting critters'. Fall trees are gonna have a handful of leaves falling every minute constantly, I guess. :p

If you CAN find out who the authors of the models are then sure.

I pretty much doubt it though.
It's gonna be quite painful to discover who exactly did each of the models...since the credits are all together. And so it will be difficult to contact the author... most of those are inactive afaik.
What if I just animate it and give full credits to the authors of the meshes in a general way by showing a link to the UTM?

Level 19
If I were you,
I'd take a look at what doodads most terrainers use.

Most of the terrainers don't need animated doodads since they only use their terrain for 1 screenshot and that's it. For a game's terrain you won't need those high res doodads to move around.. That would totally crash your game if you have them in large numbers.

What about doodads like River Rushes and Wheat and Grain (Scorched)?

UPDATED!!

Added the Flowers that are used in the Ashenvale Tileset and belong the Ruins folder. Next comes the Ruins cattail, Ruins viny plant, the ruins indestructible trees and the ruins lily pads.

Most of the terrainers don't need animated doodads since they only use their terrain for 1 screenshot and that's it. For a game's terrain you won't need those high res doodads to move around.. That would totally crash your game if you have them in large numbers.

What about doodads like River Rushes and Wheat and Grain (Scorched)?
I'll go through these, let me finish the plants in the Ruins\Plants folder first.
And I think exactly the same as you about the terrain doodads, thanks for supporting. :)
(I'll animate some of them nevertheless)

yet again, updated - river rushes 1, 2, 3 and 4 are animated

this is fantastic idea.

Doesnt this cause lag though?
:ogre_hurrhurr:

Thanks.

Most doodads have twice as many polies as the unanimated one, since I need to create edges there in order to make it distort with the wind. And the animation isn't linear, cos linear would look really bad (linear anims = I'd rather have unanimated)

All that summed up make it produce some lag to slow computers like mine, in case you place animated doodads as if they were normal ones. But mine really sucks. Nowadays most computers can run very smoothly even with animated doodads spam. And you can avoid spamming shrubs and such, what is frequently done with unanimated doodads.

It's an option. If you want to spam animated doodads, it can become laggy.

(Oh, don't forget to set the 'Animates in Fog' to FALSE. If you check it TRUE, the lag will be painful.)

just one observation, if your camera is locked into a unit and then you constantly move, the animations of the doodads are not really that visible... ^^
That's true... depending on the camera you use, these doodads might not be worth the little lag they might cause.

Level 7
Can you give us an example? as in do the models not work or you cant find ways to use them because they are too...awesome?
Fareeking nice models btw, especialy the anims, i demand you put this as a pack up in the downloads department--once done or mostly done 'corse.

Oh man thanks. Now i have a animated river rushes and tree but i can't do other things. Can you give me an example ? There's no problem about Tree and Rushes but i can't to others (example bush)

Can you give us an example? as in do the models not work or you cant find ways to use them because they are too...awesome?
Fareeking nice models btw, especialy the anims, i demand you put this as a pack up in the downloads department--once done or mostly done 'corse.
There you have it
I didn't have any problems uploading the doodads myself... :p

Woah... This is awesome! +rep right away. Anyway, you don't mind give the Ashenvale Tree Wall (not the Canopy Tree) an animation? :)
Just checked the tree walls... they have variation models for Animating (being hit/getting born/dying), Standing (unanimated) and Dead (unanimated)... That might cause them to be quite stiff and jumpy when being hit, since one model gets replaced by another when they need to animate.
I think it'll be better to make a custom path to the Tree Walls, so it'll be just 1 model and won't snap/etc.
But yeah, I'll do it.

Will you do similar to other enviromental doodads, or trees?
I plan to. :)

---
btw guys, just checked the doodads folder and found the cliff models and their variations. I believe I can add more variations to the cliffs! So I'd do some animated cliff with an insect den in it, or something else :p
I'll try it.

Level 19
Just checked the tree walls... they have variation models for Animating (being hit/getting born/dying), Standing (unanimated) and Dead (unanimated)... That might cause them to be quite stiff and jumpy when being hit, since one model gets replaced by another when they need to animate.
I think it'll be better to make a custom path to the Tree Walls, so it'll be just 1 model and won't snap/etc.
But yeah, I'll do it.

Thanks. I think it's no problem with the "jumpy" thing. In my map trees will won't be harvested, only get killed instantly by a spell or something. So there's no problem there.

Level 21
to really make an actualy difference you'd have to use grass textured units, since otherwise they'll just be kind of like, oh, hey, moving stuff, oh well, i can still see the units really well though, right? they mostly can, but if they have grass textures in spots/all over, it'd be kind of like, oh hey, a moving bush, they're all moving, who gives a shit!

Level 6
to really make an actualy difference you'd have to use grass textured units, since otherwise they'll just be kind of like, oh, hey, moving stuff, oh well, i can still see the units really well though, right? they mostly can, but if they have grass textures in spots/all over, it'd be kind of like, oh hey, a moving bush, they're all moving, who gives a shit!

The concept is more of nature gone natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.