• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lighting Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23

158564-albums4031-picture56168.jpg

158564-albums4031-picture56197.jpg

As you can see in the first image, there is a very distinct light source shining into courtyard/ruin/whatever. This is made easy thanks to archway allowing me to mount a light ray doodad etc.

The problem comes with the second image. Im trying to give the effect of a forest floor, with particular areas lighted as if they were open clearings in the canopies of vast trees beyond the viewers sight.
It doesnt look very convincing at the moment. Any suggestions?

Level 16
Ok I get it, I played Dreamvale before, was thinking you were attempting to make a non playable terrain as you didn't mention anything of that kind in the description. If it's a playable terrain don't add shadows, it will only get you more destructibles in the object editor and will make the map more ineficient. I only recommend that you use the calculate shadow method, it will make the terrain look better and I have not noticed you used it in your map. (Warning! Once you do this it can't be undone!)

to make it look as if there's light sources waaay up, try
a) placing a few very large canopy trees that are invisible in game, you can tint destructibles ( ithink??) and they should still cast the shadow maps. otherwise, just use the shadow doodads from the UTM, they just have preset shadow maps and work good. then, once you've figured out a decent canopy covering arrangement, for the lit up parts, place light from aboves with a massive z scale and comparatively tiny x/y. what that does is make nice big rays of light that just arch right down to the ground and up way out of sight

Status
Not open for further replies.