• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Texturing Contest #28 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

texturing.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
8.png

results.png

swampdwellers-jpg.294488

Swamp Dwellers
Contestants are to create a skin representing a swamp dweller, basically a creature that lives in a an area of muddy or flooded grounds (a morass, bog or marsh) using the in-game Warcraft 3 unit models or a custom-made model found on the site.

prizes.png

• 1st place: 40 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 25 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 10 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
contest%20judging.png

• 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Druid of the Swamp

Shading 24/30
Shading is on point however there are some parts that needs more highlights like the beard and the horn. The clothes are very sharp and is well made. Color choices are neat and contrasts very well.

Concept 24/40
Major downfall. It doesn't look as swampy as it should be. Maybe adding more swamp-elements could had made it look much better and fitting to the theme. Model choice is very unexpected is very much hard to pull off.

Details 23/30
It looks very good ingame and materials such as metal is well painted except for the facial hair.

Total: 71

Knight of Swamp

Shading 12/30
Always remember that the light source is coming from the top. It needs more contrast. Colors are very swampy and cliche.

Concept 14/40
Going for a a knight made of rocks with moss and vines covered? You're almost there but needs more much effort. This is your best try atm and you can improve your skills much more.

Details 12/30
Model choice is bit hard to pull off since you cannot make it so different from the original. I can see that you want to add it some moss and vines but wasn't able to define it to look what is supposed to look like. The shield and armor is pretty random and doesn't have a proper design.

Total: 38

Mucklebone Bastard

Shading 23/30
Shading is a bit weird, it looks very raw without any proper light source. Very nice colors too! The eyes isn't shaded properly though.

Concept 34/40
Very fitting to the theme. It looks like a monster that just came out from the muddy water to scare us off. Model choice is very safe as it is easier to create textures for custom models with custom textures, but it looks very different from the original. Good job.

Details 23/30
It is flooded with details that I'm afraid will be not visible from the in-game perspective. I really love how creative the team color was made, however it looks pretty small that it isn't really much visible in-game too - how I wish it was much bigger. I like to point out the transition of the hands to the arms and feet to the legs.

Total: 80

Swamp Hound

Shading 27/30
On point shading. It would be perfect if the leaves didn't look like it was just painted/sticked on the body.

Concept 35/40
I feel that it needs more swampy elements as it looks more like a bush lizard. But well lizards are swampy so I'll let it pass. Model choice is very unexpected and was pulled off.

Details 24/30
Very minimal details and looks very good in-game since it doesn't lose so much details. Materials were painted really well, but I wished the horns had some designs to it, it looks pretty bland and out of place

Total: 86

Swamp Monster

Shading 26/30
The contrast is very intense in my opinion and it looks way off than the warcraft 3 style. Color choice was very swampy but could have benefit 1 more color just to balance it out.

Concept 33/40
Looks very fitting to the theme and looks slimy as hell.

Details 23/30
I really like what you did with the stomach. The weapon is a bit dark better highlights could have helped it to look more like wood. The face looks very creepy in a good way.

Total: 82

Swamp Night Guardian

Shading 22/30
Remember that light comes from above looking at this piece it looks like that light is coming from different sources. The top of the hood should be lighter and the shoulder pads' light source looks like the light is coming in front. Face could use more highlights. Color choices was very unexpected and stands out from the other entries. Avoid using pure black.

Concept 24/40
I like the bravery to be different and took some goose/duck inspiration (a swamp dweller of course) - but it just didn't worked out. Could have used more swampy elements to uplift the concept. It just didn't look like a swamp dweller, it looked more like a dark elf or something.

Details 23/30
The feathers looks good when zoomed in however it'll look invisible if it is viewed with the default in-game perspective. Materials could be defined much more like metal looking like metal and clothes looking like clothes.

Total: 69

Swamp Seeker

Shading 17/30
Very raw without any source of light. Could use one more color to balance it out, but it is fine.

Concept 21/40
More swampy elements to help it fitting more to the theme, at the moment it looks like a golem that looks like a cow. XD
I don't like the model choice to be honest, but I like the bravery to choose something that's very hard to pull off.

Detail 18/30
Too much lines. It needs more definition of materials and there's too much green (grass, moss or whatever it is). Remember that simplicity is beauty, it could had been better if the legs are rocky and the upper part of the body to be covered with swampy stuffs. The TC was a nice touch.

Total: 56

Swamp Wanderer

Shading 19/30
That orange face is very creepy, could be desaturated a little bit. And she looks like a vegetable btw. Could use more contrast especially on the body.

Concept 22/40
Bad model choice. The model itself has a particle effect on it, and it doesn't look quite fitting for the texture concept. Remember also next time that you can choose custom models to texture. And seriously this model has wrapping issues and is one of the most difficult wraps on the game, but thumbs up for taking a risk.

Details 20/30
Needs more swampy elements because it looks very plain. Like having variations of the leaves or having some dry leaves - it just doesn't always have to be green.

Total: 61
Chen- Druid of the swamp

Shading: The shading overall is rather well done, although two aspects of the texture sticks out to me, the lacking contrast in the beard making it appear as nothing but a black blob, and the extremely harsh contrasts on the skintone. The skin goes from bright white to black lines in an insant without much of a transition, this is rather jarring. The clothes are well put together and uses the wrap properly and the texture reads well at a distance.

21/30

Concept: Whilst rather generic in its theme of a druid I feel the biggest flaw with the design is the fact that it's not very different from the standard druid texture,and I don't feel like there's a whole lot of swampyness coming through, and more of a barbarian or shaman.

16/40

Details: The details read well and are not overdone with the exception of the beard. Every piece is clearly visible at a distance and the constrasts and colouring clearly separates the pieces to help readability, very good job here!

27/30

Total: 64

Ungoliath- Mucklebone bastard

Shading: In terms of shading there really isn't much to be said, there's no distinct lightsource or shadows being cast on the character at all. The painted ambient occulusion does a good job separating pieces from eachother but I'd have liked to see more direct lightsources included in the texture.

9/30

Concept: Now I can not help but just giggle when looking at this guy, he's brilliant! The swampy mutant body and those googly eyes are well put together and brings a very unique feel to the model. The occasionall spots of white flowers or fungi is great and helps break the otherwise monotone colour scheme apart, love it!

32/40

Details: The detailing is where this skin really shines! But sadly it's also its biggest detriment. It's very obvious that this skin has been crafted with a lot of love and the way the roots, veins and foliage ties together is just wonderfull. However, the amount of high frequency noise is simply too much for Warcraft 3 and nothing apart from the characters eyes really read well at a distance, so whilst I would like to score this highly, in the context of WC3 I simply can not. Remember! Readability above all else!

9/30

Total: 50

Aeman -Knight of swamp

Shading : The lightsource is for the most part consistent over the texture which is great, however it's currently very hard to read what materials this is supposed to be made out of, some parts are very bright and reflective whilst others contain very little in terms of light information.

12/30

Concept: A swamp based revenant is a neat idea! However I feel like it doesn't come off very well in this texture, apart from the slight green tones in the metal it's very hard to tell what anything is. For the future, consider the environment this unit would reside in. Perhaps cover it with roots, rust, grass and cracked armour pieces?

12/40

Details: The detailing on this unit is little to non-existant, the armour and especially the shield feels very empty, try adding things like cracks and fancy designs into the shield and especially material definition. For example, metals tend to be very scratched up and rusted when located in damp swamp like environments.

3/30

Total: 27

Arowanna - Swamp Hound

Shading: The shading on this unit is simply delightfull, there's a clear source for the light, the transitions into shadows are powerfull enough to read clearly at a distance and avoid using pure blacks (which is WONDERFULL!) The highlighting and material definitions come through very clearly thanks to the depth presented in the shading, excellent work!

27/30

Concept: Design wise this unit is very impressive as well, you've really taken the base unit and flipped around to a point where it looks like a completely new unit. A leaf covered lizzard creature is super swampy!

32/40

Details: I feel that the leaf areas around the back are the only negative of this texture, they're a little too high-frequency in detail and become a little rough to read at a distance. I'd try to shade several leaves in a big cluster instead of each one as its own thing. Overall the detailing on the skin reads very well.

21/30

Total: 80

Just_Spectating - Swamp Monster

Shading: The shading on the swamp monster is very inconsistent, it is covered in both dark and bright areas seemingly rather random. The clear top to bottom light/dark gradient is very obvious and that's great, but I feel like more focus on an actual light source would have done wonders for this texture.

12/30

Concept: Turning the abomination into a swamp monster is a great idea and I like how you've changed the hook around into vines, awesome stuff. Sadly because a lot of the different pieces are dificult to read it brings the general execution of the concept down.

20/40

Details: The detailing in this skin is clearly in there, but due to the lack of light definition and shadows it all becomes very dificult to read at an in-game distance. Try focusing on larger clusters of details and making them stick out instead of high-frequency noise.

12/30

Total: 44

PrinceYaser - Swamp Night Guardian

Shading: The metallic shading is well done on this skin and read very well! However the clothes themselves are a little inconsistent in the way it's lit and I can't pinpoint the location of a main lightsource, try focusing on the entire unit as one big piece when setting up your main lighting, instead of each piece individually.

15/30

Concept: I don't get much of a swampy feeling from this texture at all, it seems more like a night elf to me, none of the typical colour tones you'll see in a swamp-like area are used here and the man seems awefully clean for someone living in a swamp.

12/40

Details: Overall the detailing on this texture is pretty solid, some overly aliased edges here and there that throws things off and I'd argue the chest area is WAAY too cluttered to make out correctly at a distance however the most important parts, cloak, staff and shoulders read well and are not filled with too much detailing.

18/30

Total: 45

The Leader - Swamp Seeker

Shading: The shading here is very uniform and doesn't contain much of a light direction, ambient occlusion is well used to separate different pieces though.

12/30

Concept: Great unit to use for this theme!The lantern and the axe are wonderfull, the biggest setback with the concept for this piece would be that it's really hard to actually tell what the unit itself is supposed to be.

24/40

Details: As I mentioned previously I really like what you did with the lantern and the axe, these areas read very well and are nice a swamp murky! Really good stuff. However for the unit itself I feel the detailing is simply too much in many areas, the feet read nicely but the rest of the body gets lost in an angular sea of straight lines, when dealing with nature based themes, randomness is key!

12/30

Total: 48

Wildfire - Swamp Wanderer

Shading: The shading is pretty unified with one bigger main lightsource, looks good! Material definition is a little weak around the chest and arms area.

18/30

Concept: I can see where the idea for this texture came from however I don't think it's quite different enough from the standard banshee texture, it looks more like a simple texture recolouring, I'd also probably try and avoid the orange face, as it kind of makes her look like a carrot.

12/40

Details: The face and frontal hair is nicely defined both light and shadow wise and the details are clearly readable, however the rest of the texture gets lost and is overall very blurry, it's hard to see what anything really is.

9/30

Total: 39

upload_2018-6-30_19-29-7.png

sas.png
Contest Thread | Poll Thread

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.