• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Aeon of War

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
LATEST VERSION: 1.05

v1.03
- some minor fixes and balancing adjustments

v1.02
- significant improvements on hero balance
- big item re-design
- AI update: computer heroes now buy some basic equipment
- many cosmetic changes and terrain improvements
- heroes now have a fixed amount of mana since spells are not becoming more expensive at higher levels
- added minimap symbols for shops
- increased life regeneration speed at fountains
- tower strength slightly decreased
- various code tweaks
- various small adjustments
- added weather effects

v1.00
- some little adjustments and polish
v0.99
- it is no longer possible to build towers very near to strategic points
- some small adjustments (necromancer nerfed)
v0.98
- fixed a bug with the tauren druid bear form
- re-added fountains in bases
- decreased mage frost bolt damage
v0.97b
- fixed a critical bug that made it impossible for the light blue player to choose a hero in non-fullhouse games
v0.97
- Added a random score screen at game end
- added formulas to spell descriptions
- new model for horde rogue, new skin for human necro
- hitpoints of towers slightly increased
- various small fixes and adjustments
v0.96:
- significantly improved hero balance; heroes now scale 100% symmetrically
- capture points re-arranged (one at each lane)
- honor system improved: honor is now given to all nearby allies and for many events
- added new items
- all heroes are now able to attack creeps & air units
- Added a path that connects top and middle lane
- Added abilitiy preloading to improve performance/avoid first spell usage lag
- critters no longer block other units
- fixed a bug that leaving players were not been taken over by AI
- added standard of war
- various other small fixes and adjustments
v0.95: Many terrain improvements, a new Hero: Ancient protector, many new items, respawnable creeps, various changes/improvements on heroes and many other small adjustments.
v0.94: Various changes/improvements on terrain, balance, heroes, items and such.
v0.93: Another greater update. 2 new heroes: Paladin (exclusively available for alliance) and Shaman (Horde side only). The goblin mage has been exchanged by an Ogre mage. Some other small changes and updates.
v0.92: This is a huge update: new terrain and one new hero: the Necromancer
v0.91: Small huntress adjustments
v0.9: Huge Huntress update/finish: completed spells, 3 pets to choose from, pet behaviour feels more natural now
v0.87: fixed a crucial bug, that allowed players to get more than one hero, rogue: fixed a bug, that normal attacks out of stealth didn't always do critical damage
v0.86: just some little changes and bugfixes, some terrain changes

MAP DESCRIPTION
This map offers fast paced AoS gameplay on a high level of quality introducing many new features. The heroes are mostly inspired by WoW and are equipped with characteristic spells and abilities making each of them a unique playing experience. Due to a custom damage system, the power of spells/abilities infinitely scales with the hero's attributes and anything from normal attacks to spells may crit. Moreover, the map provides a honor system, a tactical capture point system, decent AI/bots, various items (some with special scripted effects), many new graphics and FX, no hidden imbanesses and carefully balanced heroes. Everything is fully written in vjass and works in a trim performance. The map is meant to provide a reasonable alternative to the usual dota styled AoS maps - give it a try!

SCREENSHOTS

119593-albums2839-picture67414.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67415.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67416.jpg

119593-albums2839-picture67417.jpg

DAMAGE, SPELL AND ITEM SYSTEM
The power of spells and abilities scales with your hero's attributes and everything can crit: normal attacks, abilities and spells. Accordinlgy, items may increase attributes, but may also directly affect spell/ability power, crit chances, etc.

HEROES
The hero pool contains classic heroes inspired by WoW and some new ones. The choice of spells is meant to recreate the characteristic playing experience of these hero classes. Most of the heroes have at least 6 spells/abilities which increases tactical depth and options compared to the usual 4 spells. Most abilities and spells have small cooldowns so you are able to frequently use them. Therefore, most heroes require a considerable amount of micro management to be played efficiently. However, there are also some heroes requiring less micro which makes them a good choice for more relaxed casual players. Finally, the hero design enables a considerable focus on teamplay. Since the number of identical heroes is not restricted, there are countless different team-combinations.

The map features the following heroes: Warrior, Mage, Priest, Druid, Rogue, Huntress, Necromancer, Paladin, Shaman, Ancient Protector.

CAPTURE POINT GAMEPLAY
The capture point system creates additional strategic depth in the game. Captured points give your team additional gold every few seconds. Gold is exclusively used as a pro-team resource that you can spend on base and troop upgrades or reinforcements.

HONOR SYSTEM
Your hero receives honor for many relevant actions like PvP, creeping, capturing strategic points, destroying enemy structures, killing enemies and heroes or healing/buffing your allies. Honor is your personal resource for hero powerup and you can spend it to buy powerful items.

BOTS AND AI
The map features AI. Of course it won't compete with real human players but it still may provide a decent challenge. You can fill up player slots with computer players as you like to get a full house everytime you want. Personally, I love playing in LAN with friends and usually it's hard to get together 10 people. Therefore, it turned out to be a nice feature to add some computer buddies.

CREDITS (systems, custom gfx, etc.) to:
Darkwulfv (XP system), Vexorian (Table, TimerUtils, IndieSummons), Rising Dusk (GroupUtils,IntuitiveBuffSystem, IntuitiveDamageSystem), grim001 (AutoIndex, AbilityPreload), Anitarf (Stack), The_Witcher (Shield System), Earth-Fury (UnitMaxState), Callahan (Angy Trunk model), Crazyrussion (Command Buttons), Dan van Ohllus (fx art), JetFangInferno (fx art), Nasrudin (tauren druid model), Red XIII (WCII orc tower model), shamanyouranus (fx art, totem models), sPy (fx art), Szythe (fx art), takakenji (Ogre mage model), Tarrasque (Pandaren ninja model), Uncle Fester (Troll hunter model), WILL THE ALMIGHTY (fx art).[/hidden]

Last but not least, thanks to the Hive Workshop for being an awesome site!

HAVE FUN PLAYING AND FEEL FREE TO REPORT ANY FEEDBACK - IT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS! :)

Keywords:

AoS, WoW, war, epic, crit, capture, defense, offense, dota, AI, bots
Contents

Aeon of War (Map)

Aeon of War (Map)

Reviews
15:00, 13th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Update: Date: 2011/Oct/01 22:31:43 Vengeancekael: VM // PM: Status: Approved Rating: 5/5 Highly Recommended Rep Received: 5Reasons: Other: If you have any complaints or questions directed towards...
Level 13
Gimli, plz keep such questions that are not related to the map away from this thread and use PM instead. Do you want to know the texture paths or.. ?

New version - no idea. Most of the things are done. But I think for the next update, I'll take care of the AI and improve it.

Last edited:
Review:

Gameplay:

The heroes are just so much fun to play. They are all unique, there's a fair amount of heroes to choose from, they all exciting and custom spells to use and they're all fun to play.
The AI is just such a huge plus and it's not some really quickly made AI, they're really advanced and can be really challenging to kill.
The items are just amazing, they are all custom and there are 2 resources, one for buying units and one for buying items for your hero.
The items themselves are very cool, however it's frustrating how you can't sell an item you can't use.
And the capture points are a really neat addition to the game.
And the special effects are really flashy and fit the spells.

Terrain:

The environment is really neat, the terrain isn't flat, a lot of environmental doodads, huge trees, fitting fog effects and it's pretty well filled up.

Other:

The presentation is also very well, from the quest log to the in-game messages and the hiveworkshop description.

Overall:

An amazing AOS, very fresh, although nothing too original, but there a lot of features all packed into one map making it really interesting to play.

Rating: 5/5

Level 13
Vengeancekael, thanks a lot for the kind words and the pos. review! You really made my day, thanks. :)

@Rufus: There are many maps around with epic previews and just no map behind it. However, I agree that the preview could be improved. Any ideas? At least, gameplay pic shows a bit of the map.. ;)

@Chucky: I could easily add a command to change the camera height; maybe by just using 2 or 3 presets so players can choose what they like. This is going on the todo-list for the new version.
And you are right: AI should be further improved and this will be the main issue I'll adress when releasing a new version. For example, AI heroes buy no items yet. I'm definitely gonna work on this.
New heroes would be fine too.. However, I must admit I'm running out of ideas a bit. Especially when concerning that new heroes should also feature unique and new abilities without being copies of the existing ones. Suggestions are very welcome! :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Level 17
New heroes would be fine too.. However, I must admit I'm running out of ideas a bit. Especially when concerning that new heroes should also feature unique and new abilities without being copies of the existing ones. Suggestions are very welcome! :)

It's not that hard to think of a hero :)...Let's see for an example I used the Demon Hunter's alternate animation and named him Horned Demon (of course it could be better) and he represents the Demon Hunters that were drawn to the use of demon energies so much that their very souls got corrupted. Like Illidan after he consumed the skull of gul'dan...Now abilities you could try asking someone to do it. I think there's a spell workshop on the Hive. :) Lot's of luck and one thing I liked is that your gameplay seems normal combat type...I mean no stupid overpowered heroes that kill 7 units in one ability or attack with 10000 miles per hour you know what I'm saying ? keep up the good work ;)...as for the map aesthetics it could use some refining too :)

Level 6
This map very nice - fun heroes, the A.I is somewhat functional, the terrain is well-crafted. But, I also have a minor issue with it - for one, it's far too easy to push into bases during assaults even at low levels due to the low amount of damage towers recieve before falling and the relative fraility of units compared to the heroes. Also, a range reduction of the mage and hunter's attacks might help with balance issues.

Also, I would like it if you added a mid range Strength-based Marine hero that has area of effect nuke spells with secondary effects, like a shotgun blast that affects a single target and knocks them back while dealing reduced damage to surrounding units or a grenade that deals damage and dazes enemies.

Last edited:
Level 1
Vengeancekael, thanks a lot for the kind words and the pos. review! You really made my day, thanks. :)

@Rufus: There are many maps around with epic previews and just no map behind it. However, I agree that the preview could be improved. Any ideas? At least, gameplay pic shows a bit of the map.. ;)

@Chucky: I could easily add a command to change the camera height; maybe by just using 2 or 3 presets so players can choose what they like. This is going on the todo-list for the new version.
And you are right: AI should be further improved and this will be the main issue I'll adress when releasing a new version. For example, AI heroes buy no items yet. I'm definitely gonna work on this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Don't you DARE touch this map! Other than maybe a few balance tweaks and aesthetics, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game-play. Now, if you'd remember me, I was one of the first people to review this AoS masterpiece. I'm very curious of what you have planned next. Now then...to the Test-Cave!

Level 13
Hey there, thanks for the feedback and checking it out. And Kl3sk, of course I remember you! :)

Thanks to christmas vacations, I got some free time to spend on mapping again. Let me know, if you have some new suggestions for this map.

Besides, I'm currently working on a new project: It will be a 3 player coop/defense game that involves three dwarfs that are the last ones alive to defend the halls of their ancestors from an evil threat.

Level 11
I'm currently working on a new project: It will be a 3 player coop/defense game that involves three dwarfs that are the last ones alive to defend the halls of their ancestors from an evil threat.

If you ever find yourself in a bind concerning concept/ideas, or just want to do some brainstorming give me a PM and I'll gladly help you out.

Level 6
Very nice terrain (specially the swampy part), nice idea the 3 control points to increase income ...
You should work on:
1- When you buy a item that you can't use (because already have one of the same category) is droped to ground and waste some honor points (honor are hard to gain)
2- More items needed. If you only will have 1 item x category, then you should make more variability or you'll have all heroes buying the same items in every game (boring).
3- More balance needed.
4- The AI need to learn the Hero buying system and need to love his own live, she (AI) are spending his live trying to kill players when stay alone vs the creeps and players xD

Level 13
Thanks for the feedback.
Can you be more specific concerning point 3? What's wrong with the balance?

@2: Have you found the other 2 shops that are spread around the map?

@4: Yepp, totally agree. AI could use further work. Probably going to improve it for v1.0

Last edited:
Level 4
Well it seems like every AoS games makes us remind of DotA......

Still this map has different unique systems than some AoS

Level 13
Hey there, I've finally found some time to further work on this map. :) This time it really is a big update that improves many aspects including balance, graphics, performance and AI. More info is to be found in the change log in the initial thread.

Please feel free to test the new version - any feedback and bug reports a very appreciated.

I hope you enjoy the new release.

Level 13
Some notes on the item changes:

1. In the previous version, there were 3 possible item bonuses on abilities: spell power, ability power and heal power. In the new version, these 3 bonuses have been reduced to one (spell/ability power) to keep things more simple and transparent.

2. Weapons no longer increase attributes (this is left to armor and rings). However, weapons increase damage, spell/ability power and may provide neat special effects. In addition, the damage bonus now is a percentage value (just as the spell/ability power bonus) which makes weapons more effective to increase normal hero attack power.

3. In the earlier version, there were a lot of items that were just better and more expensive versions of other items so one usually wanted to get the most expensive version as it was the best. After the update, there are less items that are just better versions of other items. Instead, there are more items that are different which individual advantages/disadvantages so you may choose the one that best fits your playing style. As a result, though the total amount of items has been slightly reduced, tactical depth has been increased.

I like it :) The heroes start with all their skills, making gameplay exciting from the start. However, it has some room for improvement, especially the ai.
From what I played, it seems that there are some issues with balance... the warrior's charge, and the ent's rock throw, usually deal enough to one hit kill casters...

Also, the ai is way too stupid. Too often do I see the ai running past creeps, or running back and forth between killing creeps and capturing taverns. Most of the time, the ai will even run to taven in the middle of fighting enemy heroes, usually leading to its demise. Also, support heroes usually prioritize allied creeps for their support spells, I never see them cast it on heroes. The base leader also sometimes wanders too far alone into creep lanes, resulting in it dying alone...

There are also way too many towers in base, which slows down gameplay by alot and makes it drag on... You should either reduce the amount of towers or lower their hp. I don't like the splash damage towers esp. because they can defend against pushes even without any allied heroes near them... Usually takes about 5-6 tries of running back and forth to kill the many clusters of 4 towers(2 guards and 2 rock towers, 1 of each on each side)... undefended...

And this is just a matter of personal preference, but I usually find blink on casters to be a bit op... Take akasha from dota for example. Because of her blink spell, the rest of her spells do alot less damage compared to other heroes... I think the same should be in here... Blink lets you instagib opponents without warning rather easily. But Idk my only experience has been playing with the bots, so maybe its more balanced against real players.

Also, I dislike being able to resurrect at level 1 with shaman, but w/e, personal preference :).

And why do some heroes have more spells than others? That seems a bit unfair... like the ranger has only 4 spells, since the other 2 are just there to order your pet around.

Standard of war seems a bit useless, lategame you dont have enough slots for it, and 10% is enough of a bonus that any would care if you lost it.

Warrior seems a bit strong, he is able to deal just as much dps as other heroes, but 2x as tanky... With defensive mode 4x :) And that charge.... such short cd, I just charge slam then run, wait for cd, charge, run, charge then slam... usually they dead without being able to do anything back. It should do less damage, or have more cd, or maybe not stun... I like Rage though, it forces the player to make some hard decisions coupled with offense/defense mode, but 50% attackspeed seems alot in this map, I usually get the thunder weapon and the attackspeed ring, for 90% ias fun ^_^

Necromancer's zombies also tend to block you alot, which is annoying because you cant control them to move out of the way :). I suggest you lower their collision size a bit.

There is also a bug with the item that turns you into a demon... sometimes when you use it and you select the hero, you can select it and control it, but you cant use any spells, and the icons for smart orders like move, stop, attack, patrol, and hold position are disabled... sort of selecting a ward(smth to do with independent summons maybe? ;) ) However after reselecting the demon a few times everything was fine, so it's not that major.

Terrain was also pretty nice :)

So for now I give this map a rating of 3.5/5, rounded up to 4.

Also, technical question: how did you make Vexorian's independent summons compatible with 1.26 patch? That was a really great resource, and I'm sure me and alot of people would love to be able to use it again :D

Last edited:
Level 20
Hey there... I tried out your map. It was really nice and fun, almost no bugs (99%) but I did notice one little issue (I don't know if this has been mentioned before but) in the intro. Though the intro (the one before the player chooses a hero), the background is a little off. Maybe the fog and sky and tree combination doesn't look too good... but then again this is noticeable for only a short time... but I would like to see that improve too!!

Nonetheless, you certainly put your effort into creating this map, and I shall give it what it deserves: 5/5!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's well thought. The only thing is that the AI rarely runs to heal.
The lumber for items and gold for upgrades and towers system is really neat. Oh, and the income points too.
Eh and players can't sell items that are not for their class if they bought them by accident.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
I tested v1.03 of this map. Attached is my replay for completeness.

Overall my experience was very good. I played with 3 other AI (2v2) as the "priestress".

I filled only a quarter of an A4 with notes about issues (on a typical map I have at least one page):

• Priestess is misspelled throughout the map. There is only one "r" is "priestess".
  • After 14 minutes of gametime there was a significant period of lag. I would estimate this is related to high number of units on the map. There's not much you can do about this other than (a) not spawning so many units, or (b) not using the wc3 engine. Still, this degrades the user experience, so it's worth considering.
  • The most important shop in the game, goblin merchants, are very hard to notice. They're sort of hidden among the terrain and front of the mid lane. I would really suggest putting them next to the other shops.
  • Bloodbane Warchief's basic attack seems to ignore priestess shields - this may be intentional, but it's quite unclear. Perhaps the tooltip should read that chaos damage ignores it.
  • I was able to buy potions from the enemy team's goblin merchant. Seems kind of silly.

These were my issues with the map's polish, but there are some other overarching problems as well. I often got the feeling that the map was playing itself - all I was doing was right clicking and occasionally spamming abilities. My shield was OP as hell, while heals and damaging spells weren't very interesting (nor did they scale well with level).

There was generally very little dynamic in terms of hero growth. The objective is just a stagnant push lanes and run around the map taking control points. Sure you can talk about strategy in a team composition, but I think you need some tactical and reactive gameplay design as well.

Terrain is fantastic and the map is generally well-polished, which will drive your success.

4* from me

Attachments

• LastReplay.w3g
    205.7 KB · Views: 101
Level 1
My suggestion is to add detailed descriptions for skills. Such as Cooldowns, durations and their dmg/heal etc formulas. For example i play assassin, it says that my skills scale with AGI but thats all, no numbers.
Also getting wood is kind of unbalanced, there should be more ways to get wood beside capturing a point and killing a hero.

Level 1
after your last update i re-dl the map and here is another quick general feedback.

• Skills still lack descriptions, for example Nature's Blessing doesnt mention how much regen it gives. I believe this kind of info are must for any RPG.
    Also skills still dont mention cd :)
  • Is it me or there is lack in variety of items?
  • Would suggest adding far camera options.
  • I love the fact that there are weapons, armor, ring, etc slots.
  • Dota-like fog system is always a big plus :D. It simply adds A LOT of depth to the gameplay and the skill of each player. It just does!
  • Any plans on adding more skills per hero or just add something like talents/upgrades for the existing skills. Like for example, if a hero has 4 skills, i will be able to upgrade 2 of them (ofc i have to choose which 2 i want to upgrade), hence creating more diverse play styles.
  • I love the fact that u dont have 203120 heroes, u have few and unique. Having in depth heroes is always better than having tonz of them. Its quality.
  • I didnt notice any consumables.. but even if u decide to add, make sure they have their own *Consumable slots*, like dota2 did lately, finally they realized how important it was.
    I have been telling the AoS devs here on hive ages ago (before dota 2) to add consumable slots and dont just copy dota 1 itemslot system...
Overall i like the map, i like the principles behind it. Wish you the best.

Level 12
Quite the fun map this was, I played with A.I. and they were pretty decent.

The gameplay itself is quite minimalistic, everything from the stats of the hero to their spells and the items are very basic and weak, but somehow it worked, I had a lot of fans overall, and I think what helped to spice the gameplay a bit was the critical chance and how it worked on spells as well.

I would have liked it if there was some sort of boss on the map as well besides the creeps.

I rate this map with an 𝓐 Tier (Great) with 89 points out of 100!