• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About the Contests

Level 40
Information about Triggers & Scripts Mini-Contests will go here.

Spell Contests

Spells & Systems Hall of Fame, the list of previous victors.

News:
Other spell mods seem to have disappeared as of late. I've just posted a WIP in the mod's forum and am getting some feedback from Mini-Me, as well as hopefully from some of the other staff.

Theme Ideas:
If you want to add to the Theme Ideas, feel free to post your suggestions here. Your name will be added beside the theme, in brackets and italics.
Crossed out Theme Ideas are ones that have already been done in previous contests (Zephyr and Mini-Contests); they will be moved to their respective position on the top of the list.

Note: If a credit name is wrong, feel free to say. I don't get them all right.

Theme Ideas List:
Corpse (Daelin)
Divine (Heero)
Dual Effect (Daelin)
Link (Silvenon)
Delayed Effect (Earth-Fury)

Artillery (Dr. Super Good)
Mirror Image (paskovich)
Consume (PurplePoot)
Movement (Diablo-dk)
Conjure (PurplePoot)
Protection Shield (paskovich)
Destruction (Mini-Me)
Spell Manipulation (Daelin)
Augment/Enhance (Silvenon)
Winter (Everyone)
Chain (Just_Spectating)
Physical (Just_Spectating)
Double (DiscipleOfLife)
Double-Edged Sword (PurplePoot)
Evil/Death (PurplePoot)
Steal (Not sure)

Elemental (PurplePoot)
Air/Wind/Sky (Steel_Cold)
Mind (Silvenon)
Night (edge[d1])
Time/Temporal/Dimensional (donut3.5)
Holy (A lot of people)
Shapeshift (CarrionMan19, Silvenon)
Chance (CarrionMan19)
Healing (CarrionMan19)
Instantaneous (~Void~)
Unexpected Spells (Herman)

Mind

Using the power of mind, the hero is able to move/damage/disable units. Telekinesis is a very good example of mental magic.

Shapeshift

The caster transforms itself and/or other nearby things into something else, potentially granting bonuses or weakening the targets. Examples; Bear Form, Hex.

Augment/Enhance

Temporarily strengthens a unit or group of units. Examples; Bloodlust, Inner Fire.

Link

Link two or more units to share a property. Example; Spirit Link.

Unexpected Spells

Combinations of spells can cause multiple effects to happen, for example, if a wave was cast under a blizzard it could split in all directions (Blade.dk made spells Frost Spear and Snowstorm as such, just stealing the concept)

Double

The spell is a combination of two other themes.

System Contests

News:
The systems contest below is indefinitely on hold due to lack of interest.

A system contest is currently in alpha stages, undecided whether we want to do one or not. Please post if you think we should in this thread, and if so post a theme idea that you think would be nice, (ideas; Spell System, RPG Systems, that sort of size) and post it here.

Also, we're interested to see how many people would join such a contest, (it wouldn't be worth it with less than at least 5 people) so post if you would join one.

Last edited:
Level 5
I enjoy spell contests and would most likely join if i could come up with a good idea to fit the theme of the contest.

As for a theme, I don't think i've seen enough abilities that have to do with Air. So Wind or Air could be a theme. Possibly Sky

Level 11
I'm all for a system contest. I'd more than likely enter if I could manage to make something to go with the theme. Here are some ideas for themes:
-All-purpose Spell System
-Particle/Projectile System
-Custom combat/damage system
-Inventory System

I'll add more if I can think of any.

Level 6
here's an idea for a spell contest: a night-dependant spell...
perhaps night elf themed: stronger/normal at night, weaker/unavailable/higher-mana-cost during the day...

i made a few for night elves in my map so i know how many posibilities there are...

Level 13
What's the difference between Evil and Death? My associations would be something like Death ---> Necromancer ---> Undead ---> Evil :p

Wasn't Movement supposed to be Motion, because that's the way I remembered it.

Also, it's paskovich, not paskovitch :)

My ideas aren't much creative, but what the heck:

• Holy (I wonder why nobody thought of all elements already)
  • Poison/Venom
  • Lightning/Thunder
  • Frost/Cold/Ice
  • Telekinesis/Mind (got this from damage types :p)
  • Gold (something involved with getting gold)
  • Summon

.....and I ran out of ideas, will think of something else later maybe :)

I like the Evil/Death theme, that's my field :p (though I probably won't be able to participate, you know why)

Level 40
Heh, I always spell pask's name wrong ;)

Anyways, Holy wasn't added because a very similar contest was already done with Zephyr #2, so it's most likely best left at peace. The others sort of fit into 'Elements', not sure why I put fire up there (removed!)

Summon is effectively Conjure, which was Contest #5 (read the description Conjure was given in the Contest #5 thread)

I added

-Venom
-Mind

Level 13
Due to the fact that English is not my native language, I didn't know what "conjure" meant, but know I do (sort of :p)

Yeah, I thought they fit in the elements too, but that fire was confusing me.... :)

EDIT: Though I thought Venom fits in the elements too......

Level 6
Why'd you delete your post, edge? Is the night-spell idea scrapped, then?
my mistake... comp got crazy and i thought i sent two posts instead of one... if the idea is any good, add it to the list... i didn't feel like typing all over again cause i also lost one much longer post at the same time...
(edit: in that case, feel free to delete this post to keep the thread clean)

Level 4
I'm thinking of spells that damage enemies multiple times. I'm not sure what to call those types of spells though. The last time I've seen any of those is when I decided to make one myself.

Level 4
Ok then, I'll give you a better idea once I gain one

LARGE EDIT:

Ok, here's a list of my ideas:
Healing
Luck
Earth - I think this fits in elements but I'll give this a shot anyway
Ressurection
Transformation

I'll add more ideas to the list as I gain them

Last edited:
Level 13
I like the Time theme :)

Some more themes:

• Eruption (don't ask)
  • Shapeshift
  • Enhance (giving bonus damage, for example)
  • Disease
  • Sonic
  • Force (I think Motion covers that actually)
  • Link (something involved with linking, like Spirit Link)

And I'm also proud to say that none of these ideas (except eruption and shapeshift) are mine, I got them all from damage types :)

Level 16
The point of this thread is bit fuzzy. So you got like 20 theme ideas now, and people are basicly just spitting words out with not much thought, where is this going? Should we vote for the best theme of the choises?
Imo we should just pick one, and kick start the contest. No more japping :)

Silvenon said:
Eruption (don't ask)

I must ask :). All I could think is a volcano erupting and eh...mm...yea I wont go there :). So everybody creates a volcano spell? :p

Level 13
The point of this thread is bit fuzzy. So you got like 20 theme ideas now, and people are basicly just spitting words out with not much thought, where is this going? Should we vote for the best theme of the choises?

This is where we give ideas for themes of future spell (& system) contests, right? There can never be to many ideas, remember that :p

I must ask :). All I could think is a volcano erupting and eh...mm...yea I wont go there :). So everybody creates a volcano spell? :p

Scratch that, a bad idea......

Razorbrain,

GUI Pro..... I think

If you know how to clean leaks, then you are a GUI pro :)

Level 13
But cleaning leaks is most important and annoying part in GUI. Some people find it very hard to understand, but once you do, you got what it takes to be a GUI pro. Finding all GUI limits is imo not that necessary.

EDIT: Pooty, I think it's better you remove Venom and make some theme from CarrionMan's damage over time idea.

Level 40
Well... as I said, I don't really want to add Spell Types... I'll remove Venom, though.

Oh, and Razorbrain, I don't think you realize the difference between not knowing how to do something in GUI, or suggesting not doing it for good reasons (lack of MUI, horrible inefficiency, etc)

Also, what's your siggy referring to? (Razorbrain)

Level 4
Maybe I should explain my Luck idea: it's bascially a chance an ability has of doing something special (such as dealing multiplied damage or dodging attacks)

Oh and why do Silvenon AND I have credit for coming up with Shapeshift? I had Transformation as my idea

Level 11
It would be better if you didn't write the theme name only, but include your spell description too! (To get a complete picture of the theme - the way you imagined it.)

IMO, themes like Evil, Death, Holy, Chance, etc should be removed from the list. They are far too wide. Where's is creativity, guys?
I like Double-Edged Sword, Air/Wind/Sky, Time/Temporal/Dimensional, Shapeshift.

Level 4
I did have healing which isn't technically holy. I'm saying this because Death Coil heals Undead units and there's no way in hell Death Coil would be holy

EDIT: Oh and I was going to suggest Space as a theme, but too few spells that I know of would fit that theme

A Space themed spell would probably take something from outside of the earth and pretty much send it to the earth. Summon Alien and Starfall are two examples of spells that would most likely fit the theme

Last edited:
Level 40
If so, I'll put the descriptions in hidden tags; they would horribly eat up space anyways.

However, I think most of them are fairly self-descriptive. (There are a few that could use descriptions) I'll update the list once 4 or 5 people put up some descriptions.

CarrionMan: I dunno, seems far too restrictive to me.

Level 13
I think healing is not too restrictive, I think it's a good idea, but it's your funeral Pooty..... :)

I'll just write the descriptions then, you include them if you want.

Mind

Using the power of mind, the hero is able to move/damage/disable units. If you're having a hard time understanding this theme, telekinesis is one of the examples.

Shapeshift

Anything involved with changing the appearance, which can grant the unit additional bonuses/restrictions. For example, turning into an animal (wolf, bear, rat...).

Augment/Enhance

Temporarily boosting the allies/self with additional bonuses which would make them stronger then they were before (like Bloodlust, Inner Fire....).

Link

Something involved with linking two or more units somehow, will they share the strenght, life, or damage, it's up to your imagination (Spirit Link is an example).

Well, here they are.......

I just realized how much they suck :), maybe someone should write the descriptions who knows English better (I'm capitalizing English because the grammar check said so :p).

Level 4
CarrionMan: I dunno, seems far too restrictive to me.

That's exactly what I was thinking, which is why I said I was going to suggest it

EDIT: Instead if Ressurection, I'll go with Corpse Usage. Pretty simple explanation; the use of corpses to attack enemies, summon comrades or whatever else you feel like using them for. Ressurection would actually fit into Corpse Usage because it revives dead units. Again, Corpse Usage isn't technically evil because Ressurection is holy (well the actual spell is)

Last edited:
Level 13
And fine, I'll add healing -.-

You added it just because of me?? Ooooww, how sweet :) (I hope this didn't sound gay)

Also, does anyone other than me and wyrm care about the systems contest?

There are probably a few people in the world who care :p

Systems is muuuuuch more complicated thing to do, and it requires much GUI/JASS knowledge (I think big systems are mainly in JASS). I can't speak for all of them, but I personally wouldn't feel like writing a whole system, well maybe if I had plenty of time.....

Anyways, I suggest a paired systems contest or something like that, it would be much more appealing to people

Though my opinions mostly sucks, so you can just ignore it. I just felt like writing something :p

Level 9
Imo the theme of a system contest should be one that doesnt have existing systems based off of it. Or then there just should be many other ways of doing it. In other words not Save/Load system or Inventory system or the like. I for one wouldn't join since there are really great and complex save/load/inventory systems out there already and I wouldn't like to compete against them(kind of) or repeat something that someone has already done. Now that that is said: I have one theme idea for a system contest:
String Matchmaker - a system that takes two strings and compares how similar they are and then returns a percentage reflecting that similarity. The system could have different features like 1337 detection. It could be designed to specifically spot typos, or something other useful stuff. (I haven't seen a working system of this sort before)

On an other topic, what's the big reason for not having spell types as themes (as some suggested bouncing or dot spells)? Those would restrict spell making in a different way, which I don't think is worse than how regular themes do it. Something like a damage over time is too generic, but bouncing sounds quite good to me. I would take part in such a contest, even if only for a change.

Just think about a contest with a theme like Projectile. Maybe a bit boringly we would see many spells that launch projectiles, but I bet most of them would have interesting patterns in which they move, or maybe the particle would do something special when it hit something.

It would be kind of the same as in my art classes where we sometimes have to do a work that has a specific theme like "nature and ecology", but sometimes we have to use some specific technique, whereas the subject of the work is free.

Level 13
Imo the theme of a system contest should be one that doesnt have existing systems based off of it. Or then there just should be many other ways of doing it. In other words not Save/Load system or Inventory system or the like. I for one wouldn't join since there are really great and complex save/load/inventory systems out there already and I wouldn't like to compete against them(kind of) or repeat something that someone has already done.

Totally true, I agree. You just described what I was thinking :)

String Matchmaker - a system that takes two strings and compares how similar they are and then returns a percentage reflecting that similarity. The system could have different features like 1337 detection. It could be designed to specifically spot typos, or something other useful stuff. (I haven't seen a working system of this sort before)

A brilliant idea, really original and creative.

Other opinions of the second half of what Disciple said?

I totally agree with everything he said. Tough luck Pooty, huh? :p

EDIT: Forgot about Razorbrain :)

I don't know what do you mean by Anti-Spell, but if it is what I think it is, then that's a very precise and restrictive theme. There would be no different spells, just different ways of making the spell.

Bounty system?? What do you mean by that? This time I'm gonna use Pooty's words: that's more of a function then a system. Just use Vexorian's Bounty function and make 2 lines of code how much you want the bounty to be given for killing whatever kind of unit. That's a poor and a very easy system.

Like always, I'm waiting for Pooty's opinion :)