Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A gloomy day #brexit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pharaoh_, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Nice data. So up to the age of 44, the majority of people voted remain. Shows how much power the 45+ demographic has in terms of voting.

Would be interesting to see how high the voter participation was in each age bracket.

2. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    https://www.theguardian.com/comment...eople-bad-voting-millennials-eu-vote-politics
    Besides I dont understand the argument that older generations (who have children and grandchildren) do not care for the future.

"Anti-Racist is a Code Word for Anti-White."
    People who use the word racism these days are in 95% of the cases pushing an agenda against the native people of europe.

You dont want to become a minority in your own country? You must be a racist, a neonazi, a fascist!

3. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    We, as a species, does not have races in the scientific sense. Racism is the leftover of less, sophisticated, times.

A sexually repressed and sexist culture / religion, and a failure to integrate people, is the cause of all of the issues.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I see. Honestly, it has always been my opinion that this is how debates are supposed to evolve. Because we disagree on the big things, we need to understand the small things we're disagreeing on. Surely we all want the UK to be economically prosperous and their women to be safe. How does migration fit into the picture? Ultimately, all boils down to either fact or belief. If (instead of getting butthurt) we accept facts unacquainted to us and reconsider our position, we may end up profiting intellectually from a debate.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just my two cents, as I've pledged not to get involved further in this discussion, but myself and other academics are leaving the country for universities in other nations.

6. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is truly sad, I didn't think they were all that serious to leave.. So is this what happens when half of the continent is having a crisis? Where is unity?

7. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are you feeling unsafe in England or the UK in general? Or is it a matter of principle?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am not afraid or unsafe. However, I know people that do feel that way. Frankly I am embarrassed, as are most of my colleagues. Science is dead in the UK now, and there is going to be no room for early career researchers coming up through the ranks. So, if I want to continue in my field I have to leave the country. It's a simple choice.

9. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Both groups of 18-24 and 65+ are manipulable. The former lack knowledge and experience, thereby having an opinion which echoes parental perspectives, and the latter has been explained in a previous post.

I am not sure why you quoted me on that part, I actually feel that it has nothing to do with the point you are raising. In case there is a misunderstanding, I am not British. If you, however, hint sarcasm, I do agree that people have been exaggeratedly using terms to make a statement. It is almost laughable to see how often the word "fascist" is being used in an attempt to belittle someone's point of view, a reasoning controversy/fallacy also known as 'ad hominem'. Although I would digress if I went on with this, I do realize that bigotry has been overwhelmed by labeling in order to appeal to sentiment, misguide the process of argumentation and therefore direct the masses -who will most likely be incapable of critical thinking-.

In all honesty, we cannot truly dismantle the result and decipher individual reasoning behind it - we can only guess, in attempt to approach reality. The statistical significance of any demographic datum is being sacrificed whilst we scream for what we hold dear and what we have been used to. The real question is, is it worth it?

10. Mattnj

Mattnj

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hopefully the UK's financial sector will kick in and the UK's economy will improve as a result. Then, after the financial sector kicks in, maybe the UK's citizen's and business's taxes can be reduced because the financial sector will not need the extra government money to stay afloat. Unfortunately, however, the UK may see a shrinkage in it's financial sector if jobs move from the UK to other EU countries if the UK loses it's permit from the EU to deal in EU financial products.

11. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    let's face the facts, the only reason for the split is because some Muslim killed a British member of parliament.

we're moving from the eu because of terrorism and a lot of terrorism is influenced by foreigners.

I think the choice was right. give us 50 years of dealing with our own problems before throwing us back into holding the world's hand.

12. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah it always is easier to run away, rather than face the common problems.

13. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Running away won't solve the problems though. In times like these it is just stupid to not stick together. But let's see how brexit will turn out within a few years.

14. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hope you know that my comment was "sarcasm"?

15. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The common problem are our politicans, the best way is that each country votes their government out of office.
    They are responsible for open borders, euro crisis, Islamic terrorism in europe,....

16. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uh? And then what? Anarchy? It's not that simple.

Also, what's wrong with open borders?

17. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nothing prevents UK from working hand in hand with the rest of Europe, like Norway, Switzerland and Iceland does right now. Norway and Switzerland is very much European countries (Iceland too, but it is a little further away), even though they never were a part of the EU.

18. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Again, not getting involved in this discussion for very obvious reasons. However, I am reading it closely and am obliged to point out that this has never happened:
    You are either referring to the murder of Lee Rigby (a Fusilier killed by two zealots) or the murder of MP Joe Cox (who was actually murdered by an ultra-nationalist). There have been no cases of UK MPs murdered by religious extremists of any creed.

19. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    it was too early in the morning for me :D

20. Mattnj

Mattnj

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am curious, if the UK were to work along side the EU, like Switzerland or Norway do, and be granted a permit to deal in EU financial products, as they have in the past, when they were part of the EU, would there be a possibility of any strings being attached to the UK having a permit to deal in EU financial products?