Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

A gloomy day #brexit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pharaoh_, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Waking up to a bright sun today, cajoling me through my window pane. The evanescent allurement was but a trace of yesterday. Soon, the breeze of disappointment took over.

London, 24th of June, 2016

As you might already know, the United Kingdom has decided to leave the European Union, for good. I am not sure I am receiving the right vibe or if I am contaminating it with my own perception of reality, but people today do look moody in London. A barista from Costa, during our short, frivolous chat, noticed 'cold smiles' today. The results have been purportedly in favor of 'exit', as concomitantly propagandised by the BRExit ordeal.

I inadvertently overheard someone rambling on the results and, despite him being a compatriot of the voters, he called those who voted for exit "rednecks". Now, I come to wonder if this is truly democratic to say, but, at the same time, I am overwhelmed with curiosity as to whether voters are able to predict the future of their choices. A great portion of those deciding to leave EU has been in apparent geographical isolation, which is usually correlated with low exposure to other nations and an uncultivated sensitivity towards internationalism.

In this abyss of unpredictability, we see headlines such as "UK shocked the world with their decision" and the natural question arises: how much better will it be for the nation?

Do not get me wrong, I am not being indignant just because I have recently moved to the UK and been conveniently treated as a co-European. I am concerned, however, about the great masses of people who took refugee in the UK for a better future, the potential rupture in multiculturalism and an imminent heatwave of racism.

What do you think, what will ensue from this?

2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  3. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We're basically fucked. Scotland will inevitably split now, Northern Ireland are likely to follow, and it sounds like Gibraltar are also thinking about it...

So, uh, yay for everybody sticking together in times of crisis!

4. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Plus the Netherlands (not yet official).

5. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I saw this image, I don't know if it's true but it seems to be correct judging by what Rao said:
    [​IMG]

6. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Must be quite an effect in the market and with the people. Other than that, I'm thinking, if slightly or probably, UK may become an un-united kingdom.

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    People in Scotland only voted to stay to avoid the split after the SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon threatened us with one. She now is misinterpreting the results of her threat as thinking that means we want an independent Scotland in the EU. Not that an independent Scotland will ever get into the EU or that the EU will even exist then, logic means nothing in politics. Even if everyone in Scotland voted to leave she still would say that people want an independent Scotland. Chances are she would still run an independence referendum in 2 years even if this leave EU referendum was never run.

All the kids here in Scotland are brain washed into thinking the SNP is good. They even lowered the voting age to get as many zombies... I mean brainwashed kids as possible in the next independence referendum. Most of the people wanting an independent Scotland are either unemployed (SNP promises them more free money) or poorly educated.

The party who has always wanted to unify Ireland is just using the results to sound bigger than it actually is.

Its a rock in the middle of nowhere with few people. Spain has always wanted it even before this leave EU referendum. Its just like Argentina will likely be demanding the Falklands due to this leave EU referendum despite having nothing to do with the EU.

8. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    A great day for the european nations and democracy!

It gives hope in a time when the people of europe are replaced via mass migration.

9. Rao Dao Zao

Rao Dao Zao

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh absolutely, it's awful but true. The horrible reality, however, is that with this sword hanging over the UK the independence camp might actually win. And us poor unionists are put between a rock and a hard place -- UK or EU (or, most likely, neither).

As I said, we're basically fucked. Whoever wins, we lose.

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Great britain (or should I say Wales and England, since at least scottish people have some brain cells left) just sealed the fate of the last remaining industry on the island.

Without the benefits of duty-free import/export, there is no way that the GB industry can still stay competitive against the european union.

There is a reason why the elite and industry lobbyists pleaded for remaining in the EU. But the british mob has spoken.

God bless direct democracy!

11. Naze

Naze

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, just being curious here, what whould be the arguments that convinced the people who voted for England to leave EU?

As I'm reading in this thread, you guys make it seem quite obvious that this decision brings mostly downsides to industry, politics and all. Even this Reuters' slideshow of people reacting to the results brings only 2 images of people reacting positively (the Nigel Farage pic and the leave.eu supporters) against a whole lot of images of people going sad about it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  12. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The pro arguments for leaving the EU were immigrants. Because immigrants are obviously the root of all evil for british rednecks.
    Also, there are 7 billions that the government saves in EU fonds.

... which is a wet fart against the expected losses of crippling the local industry.

How many refugees did the UK take in when the EU borders were still open? Right... almost zero.

13. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It seems like more countries is considering leaving as well now that a precedence has been set. Heard Italy, Netherlands/Holland and France mentioned as countries considering leaving aswell. I wonder if that happens, if they'll just create a new, "less intrusive" EU.

[​IMG]

14. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You mean a useless one?

15. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't mean anything, which is why I put it in the quotation marks. It was in reference to the "leaver" sides main argument about feeling that the EU had too much "undemocratic" power over them.

16. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    lost quite some money on the stock market thinking they'd be sensible enough to remain

guess I overjudged the intelligence of humans again

17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Except the same applies for the EU but even more so seeing how the UK was one of their biggest markets and the UK imported more from the EU than it exported as far as value goes. As such it would be very stupid for some of EU's biggest exporting countries to not want to make a deal with the UK fast since it would basically be shooting themselves in their own foot. Additionally since there are no more EU restrictions nothing stops the UK looking for other markets such as China, USA, India etc which are each as large as the EU.
    Actually they wanted stability. If stay in the EU had won the markets and pound would not have crashed like they did.

That the EU is full of non-democratic nonsense. Strongest of which is that it has control over 10% of the GDP of Europe which it reassigns mostly to needy countries as a form of charity. The bureaucracy itself eats probably over a billion pounds per year. All this done without any real people making any votes.

Other reasons include that Turkey will join the EU in a few years and Turkey is thought to be home to a lot of radical religious people at the moment due to nearby conflicts and its rather strange/agressive ruling government. That the EU makes rules it forces upon the rest of Europe such as limiting the power of home use vacuum cleaners or the shape of fruit and vegetables that can be sold without ever consulting the people who have to live in Europe. A lot of crime in some areas of the UK, especially large cities, can be attributed to tourist migrants from within the EU from places such as Romania who come here just to rob people in the streets and export the criminal proceeds back to their home country.

Practically the only good thing the EU has done recently is to block the SNPs out right ludicrous alcohol tax, something which if they had a referendum on it in Scotland would fail out right anyway but instead the SNP have absolute power and no brains.

Now? About 10,000 odd or so, even still enough to render some previously safe remote settlements to be dangerous for the local people. In 5 years? About 10 million odd as Turkey would hand practically all the Syrians free Turkish nationality and hence be EU citizens as well as many of its own extremist people.
    Compared to countries like Germany who made a stupid mistake taking in millions. In 10 years it is reckoned that over 1 in 10 of the population in Germany will not be Germans, a sad way to undo all the population reduction efforts people in Europe have been doing over the last half a century. Oh and you have the EU to blame for that as well because all the refugees in Germany will soon be eligible to bring across family members so they recon the number there of foreign migrants will multiply nearly 10 times.

Possibly, but it most likely will be limited to a more exclusive membership program. Even then it might still break down to each country working out deals with each other rather than having them made by people who never see people living in the countries they are governing.

You were foolish to even try playing the stop market around such a thing. Especially seeing how all polls said it was very close.

Or you should not gamble. You cannot beat the automated trading systems the banks use.

If people voted to stay then UK would have 5-10 more years of stability but then go to the dogs as it is over run more and more by non-integrating foreign nationals. If people voted to leave then UK would have 5-10 years of instability but then end up stronger in the long run.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  18. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Congratulations UK. Can't say whether it'll be a net benefit for you in terms of the economics of it all, but on a strictly philosophical level this was a huge victory, kudos.

19. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    thank you for your huge wisdom, mom, I swear I'll stay away from the stock market because you said so

luckily this sentence shows perfectly how much of an expert you are in stock trading, I'll be sure to heed your advice anytime I invest

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  20. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Non-democratic nonsense that makes a lot of sense. Economic stability in a region benefits everyone. Nobody is helped by letting a country go bankrupt.
    The EU is one of the most powerful forces in the world and a pillar of reason. When the EU loses power, who will benefit?
    Right, Russia, the US, China ... and god knows what this will mean for world peace with two of these countries ruled by war-mongering idiots (as it looks like Trump will actually make it).

You know what's weird? When a communist country like China is actually considered less of a threat for world peace than the so-called "land of the free".

That is the typical nationalist propaganda bullshit that started all this mess. I can't believe that someone with high education can truly believe that this is true.

This, my friend, is what is the saddest part about this all. That one of the leading industry nations of the world couldn't bring themselves to at least contribute a certain MINIMUM to their responsibility in humanity. 10000 is an insult to all the nations that actually fulfilled their duty as a peaceful wealthy nation in times of need.

Stupid mistake. Hah.
    I'm a german. Do you know how much taking in a million refugees affected my daily life?
    I'll tell you: not at all. I can still eat my bagle peacefully on the street. I can still walk the streets without seeing a beggar. I can still get groceries without getting robbed on my way home. My wage didn't drop. My taxes didn't rise.
    Like, literally, if it weren't for the media, I wouldn't even know that we took in "millions of refugees". Because whereever I go, I just don't see them. It didn't change my daily life even in the slightest. And that makes a lot of sense, considering that even one million refugees is only a 1% increase of the population of germany.
    So let me ask just a single question:
    What the fuck is everyone afraid of?

Besides, the EU took a great part in pushing forward environmental progress. Many of the "stupid regulations" like progressively limiting our carbon dioxide emmissions are a great step into the right direction.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016