• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A cold thread ; Eternal WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey whats up everyone, :)

After long days of hardwork during my times of immortalized procrastination, i've finally produced a rather simple piece for a map i've decided to work on. I am fairly new in level design, so please, by all means please roast this piece if it's ugly.

That shall be all for now, have a pleasant day ahead!

upload_2020-6-23_22-1-10.png

Hello and welcome to Hive. Making your first message in the level design board was a good choice :p

Anyway your terrain is extremely simple, but keep in mind that practice makes perfect so don't let it discourage you. Take a look around at terrains you like, and if there's an unprotected map that goes with it you should try to "dissect it" and see how they did it. There are some nifty techniques out there that makes a world of difference, but that comes later.

For now you should focus a bit on tile variation, and filler doodads. Try elevating your trees into the ground so they don't "float" in the air, try to add some more foliage here around the base of the trees, add some rocks by the side of the road and cover their edges with foliage. Basically make chunks of doodads around.

I don't know what map you're aiming for though, the stuff I am saying may not apply to all kinds of maps, especially not ones where trees can be destroyed.

Also, you should look into some custom models, and some custom trees. There are some good tree models in @Talavaj's resources (link), and there's a lot of other models in the ultimate terrain map (link).

Level 5
Hello and welcome to Hive. Making your first message in the level design board was a good choice :p

Anyway your terrain is extremely simple, but keep in mind that practice makes perfect so don't let it discourage you. Take a look around at terrains you like, and if there's an unprotected map that goes with it you should try to "dissect it" and see how they did it. There are some nifty techniques out there that makes a world of difference, but that comes later.

For now you should focus a bit on tile variation, and filler doodads. Try elevating your trees into the ground so they don't "float" in the air, try to add some more foliage here around the base of the trees, add some rocks by the side of the road and cover their edges with foliage. Basically make chunks of doodads around.

I don't know what map you're aiming for though, the stuff I am saying may not apply to all kinds of maps, especially not ones where trees can be destroyed.

Also, you should look into some custom models, and some custom trees. There are some good tree models in @Talavaj's resources (link), and there's a lot of other models in the ultimate terrain map (link).

Thank you very much for the useful tips and advices! I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

As of now i am just planning to make a rather simple RPG map, not sure when it might be completed though, as i am now exploring the deeper features of what the World Editor holds.

Talavaj's models are indeed unique and well modelled! might wanna use it depending on the theme of what my map is gonna be like huhuhu.

anywho! thank you again for the links and tips!

Have a pleasant day/night ahead man! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.