• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

shiiK's WIP Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Every now and then, I work on a skin that I can't get right, and leave it in my folder to rot. Sometimes I pick them up, but I most often scrap them because my idea does not fit the model. I'll try to dump them here instead, from now on. Maybe you guys got some ideas, workarounds, or just encourage me enough to pick it up again. It might also serve as inspiration for people, and even be helpful, because you can see partially how I work when you see unfinished skins. I'll post some WIPs of my already finished skins as well, just for that last point. I hope you might find this thread useful, because I'm doing this for you, and not for myself.

Oh, and I'll be posting WIPs of skins that are in progress, that aren't of top priority (and as such will take some time to finish), as well, to keep the thread somewhat new and active.

ice-priestess-wip.png

ice-priestess-old-wip-from-2004.jpg

This one was a little project I had back in 2004, making elemental sorceresses. I've lost the other two I worked on and I never started on the earth version. Anyway, it's a very early stage, where I've not applied colours, shading or details. It shows roughly how I like to lay out the design and then check with the model how it looks, before adjusting the design to fit better. I'll repeat that until it wraps decently before I start making colours, shading and smaller details.

gilneas-footman-gtw-wip.png

gilneas-footman-gtw-old-wip-from-2005.jpg

This was made for the Great Troll Wars mod, which we never finished, as was going to represent the Gilneas faction. We were making a custom weapon, helmet and shield. The model was never finished, and neither was the skin. I was given a simple description; make a black clad footman with golden rims on his armour, make the armour shine.

Yes, I was called Goliath the God back then, and yes, I do have an old profile here on THW by that name with a few textures attached to it.

locating-parts-and-testing-wrap.png

the-butcher.png

A lot more recent work. The first picture demonstrates how I like to wipe the original skin and just write down what parts of the skin wraps onto what part of the model, and then I make some sketchy lines here and there to figure out how to wrap muscles. I make the whole body of a skin roughly shaded and wrapped nicely before I even start thinking about clothes and armour. The second image is as far as I got before I scrapped it, because the whole idea didn't work well - not on the troll, and not in WCIII.

extreme-case-of-rainbow-infection.png

I added this for the sheer purpose of showing some in-depth wrap locating. This is a rather ridiculous case, where I ended up using so many colours it turned into a rainbow altogether. Anyway, I needed all those lines because sometimes, Blizzard's wraps are fairly difficult to understand, and if you're going to do more than slap a colour on it and shade it roughly, it takes some time figuring out how to do it.

custom-model-and-texture-for-contest.png

Custom Texture for a Troll Hero unit that I worked on for the paired texturer and modeller contest. We started too late, and my partner didn't have time to finish it after the contest ended.

darkspear-tribe-juggernaut-wip.png

frost-troll-venomaxe-wip.png

chaos-troll-gladiator-wip.png

A few of my finished troll skins in WIP state. The Darkspear Tribe troll was a remake of an old GTW skin that Pins, Kimberly, Norinrad and I did back in 2005.

TEASER01.png

Trying out a cleaner and more calculated style. Sure takes some extra time, but it might turn out looking more in-style for the unit I am designing. Trolls are rough and benefit from looking rough, Iniquits are mysterious and creepy, and benefit from looking a bit obscure.. while this is something else, something that suits looking clean and sophisticated. I hope you are at least a bit excited, even if only showing a cape doesn't tell much.

Err.. this will probably take a good while before I complete, trying to work around the bad wrap whilst still keeping symmetry is incredibly tiresome on the Proudmore model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 31
gilneas-footman-gtw-wip.png

gilneas-footman-gtw-old-wip-from-2005.jpg

This was made for the Great Troll Wars mod, which we never finished, as was going to represent the Gilneas faction. We were making a custom weapon, helmet and shield. The model was never finished, and neither was the skin. I was given a simple description; make a black clad footman with golden rims on his armour, make the armour shine.

Yes, I was called Goliath the God back then, and yes, I do have an old profile here on THW by that name with a few textures attached to it.
[/HIDDEN]

Wow, this here is simple but cool. If you release this, then people can stop complaining that me Worgen Footy. has two bright of armor. :D

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That would be awesome, Fan. If you haven't seen the concept art:
Forest%20Troll%20Airborn%20Concept.png

I'm not sure about how the wings should be, though, to make it look the most realistic that he can indeed fly with them. Have your fun with it, anyway. ;)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Considering we're redoing it anyway, I altered the concept a little. I think we'll go with just the rockets, because the wings look awful, to be honest, and with some attached wings to the rockets, I think that'll be enough. I also changed the sword and added a flintlock pistol. If it's not too much of a hassle, I think it'd be nice if he could attack at melee range with the sword (and possibly charge while airborne towards an enemy), and at range, use the flintlock pistol.

Airborne%20Troll.png

Level 51
Okay here is a first WIP. It is currently wrapped on the texture you posted above. The wrap is a little mess atm (and by far not finished), but will be fixed when the texture is finished, as it is easier for me to wrap then. Uses sorceress stand and walk animations and I'm already having ideas for the attack animations :)
Still needs details, better wrap, attack, spell and other animations, weapons etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If you want me to post/give you this only private, or post it somewhere else just tell me :)

Attachments

• FirstWIP.JPG
    FirstWIP.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 543
  • Behind.JPG
    Behind.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 550

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That looks pretty hot already, nice! I'll work some on the texture when I get time, and work in the new details etc. Preferable if you can make sure the head isn't mirrored, so I can add that eye patch without it looking odd. I'll get rid of one side of the rocket though, as it's just a mirror anyway, and the stuff that were there because of the old wings. If there's anything in particular you want me to do with the texture to make your job easier, let me know.

Thanks for doing this, by the way, and I've got no problems with letting people see the process.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Ah, sure thing.

Edit: And while you're at it, try to make the hair a bit more like the concept, like, add another row with hair on either side of the one in the middle? I don't know what's easiest, but try to give it some more volume, without making it one huge clump of hair. And just make it use the same wrap, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 15
Wow this looks great ^-^

A sort of 'charge' animation would be cool I think. You could just make him turn sideways so he's parrallel with the ground and increase the amount of sfx coming out of his rockets. The actual movement could be done by a scripter or GUIer but the animation would make it look legit.

I don't know, just a thought. Can't wait to see when it's finished ^-^

Level 51
Wow this looks great ^-^

A sort of 'charge' animation would be cool I think. You could just make him turn sideways so he's parrallel with the ground and increase the amount of sfx coming out of his rockets. The actual movement could be done by a scripter or GUIer but the animation would make it look legit.

I don't know, just a thought. Can't wait to see when it's finished ^-^

People cna make this just with the walk animation, as it is exactly the same you described it. Just make it via a spell or triggers in WE then.

Fan, I suggest using multiple planes to make the hair.

Yep, already planed to do so. Thanks.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Updated the Iniquit Overlord, should be done soon. Worked on some other guy last night, trying out a new style, he's got no name nor race yet, but he's a bounty hunter.

Will see if I can get some work done on the Airborne tomorrow, Fan. ;)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Great to hear. I'll see if I can get time to work more on the airborne too :)

Might be a slight delay on that progress because I'm busy with moving right now, I'll see if I can finish the face and add the rest of the stuff/remove what's no longer necessary, though, so you have what you need to tweak the model into fitting the wrap neatly. There's no rush, though, so if you have better things to do.. well, you know what to do then. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.