• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft IV - The Edge of Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Don't make a mod, partner with blizzard or find a sponsor, make a real warcraft IV a real game for windows 7, just ask blizzard for permission as long as you'll give them credit for that, they'll say yes. I'm too far and so busy to help,. Anyway i can send drawing of models and designs.. Forget about the warcraft II engine,. suggestion is that for the units make them smaller and is recruited in battalion (like in battle for middle earth II),. they wont say that you copied it, star wars too has so no problem with that,. there so many able programmer there that can help you guys.. Im saying this so that your hard work will be compensated in the end,.

Level 49
What the hell are you talking about?
Why would Blizzard let them have permission to use a copyright-protected name, not to mention an OFFICIAL SEQUEL to their game?
They already HAVE a lot of models and concept art. If you said you "can't help" them, then why are you suggesting to help them?
WC2 engine? What the *.
And what's this * about 'units being smaller and recruited in battalions'? No Warcraft game to date had that, why would the 4th one have? If you like that kind of game, then go play Battle for Middle Earth? I'll stay with Warcraft 3 and it's maps and mods, thank you very much.
And if there are 'so many able programmers out there to help them', then why don't you give some examples? You know. Introduce them to a few of those 'able programmers'.
And their fanbase is there to 'compensate' for their hard work. You don't need to make a whole game from scratch for people to like what you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 51
Don't make a mod, partner with blizzard or find a sponsor, make a real warcraft IV a real game for windows 7, just ask blizzard for permission as long as you'll give them credit for that, they'll say yes. I'm too far and so busy to help,. Anyway i can send drawing of models and designs.. Forget about the warcraft II engine,. suggestion is that for the units make them smaller and is recruited in battalion (like in battle for middle earth II),. they wont say that you copied it, star wars too has so no problem with that,. there so many able programmer there that can help you guys.. Im saying this so that your hard work will be compensated in the end,.

Made me lol hard the second time this day :ogre_icwydt:

Level 5
Why would Blizzard let them have permission to use a copyright-protected name, not to mention an OFFICIAL SEQUEL to their game?
They already HAVE a lot of models and concept art. If you said you "can't help" them, then why are you suggesting to help them?
WC2 engine? What the *.
And what's this * about 'units being smaller and recruited in battalions'? No Warcraft game to date had that, why would the 4th one have? If you like that kind of game, then go play Battle for Middle Earth? I'll stay with Warcraft 3 and it's maps and mods, thank you very much.
And if there are 'so many able programmers out there to help them', then why don't you give some examples? You know. Introduce them to a few of those 'able programmers'.
And their fanbase is there to 'compensate' for their hard work. You don't need to make a whole game from scratch for people to like what you do.

Your gonna give him nightmares, Debode. . .

Level 35
WC2 engine? What the *.

So, basically, what you're saying is it's okay to emulate Warcraft 2 with changes to the gameplay as well as use the name in the title, but as soon as someone does this for a sequel to Warcraft 3 with the exact same ideas in mind, it's overstepping a line? Either this is a troll or you are really skipping a lot of facts here.

Level 3

I'd say; He's right, on the permission part. Though, franz777, you have forgotten one major issue. Blizzard is a company that needs proof. Proof of the fact that you're capable to make a game under their name. If we would ask and would be given permission then we have the freedom to do everything with Blizzard's name, either giving it a higher value or ruining it to the ground.

I suppose that you didn't look at it from this side, did you? I thank you for your concerns but, proofing ourselves comes with dangers.

Level 19
If you guys need any help with ideas, I'd be glad to help you, heh I'd love it for this to be constantly on the move:)

Level 2
This is copied from TheHelper Forums:

By take over you mean you will take the project under your (Or a collective groups) own hands and continue this project without him?
If so, awesome, that means we may get some updates again!

The thing is, this project's got a lot of talent behind it. That being said, much of that talent has been going to waste due to a rather horrible structure. Brandon was the only person who was had everyone's contact information and any idea of what was going on whatsoever. This was because we were basically sequestered, all information was to go through him and he would then dole out information from others as he saw fit.

As time went on, some very talented people sat around without anything to do as Brandon dedicated more and more time to his Minecraft mod. For example, I haven't seen him in months and I'm the co-leader.

To rectify this, I got in contact with all the team members I could (many of us still do not have the contact info. of the other members seeing how only Brandon did) and we are/have (it's ready but not up yet) a private forum wherein we can constantly update our progress and comment, aid, and encourage each others' work.

With this, we no longer will have to rely on one person to put everything together, especially when that person doesn't seem particularly interested in doing so at all.

While I like Brandon, the total silence has been disheartening and we've had to do something to actually move this project forward or realize that under such a structure nothing would ever be done or put together concretely.

Any new applicants for positions please email me at [email protected] or any of the other members if they choose to toss in their emails. My MSN is [email protected]

Expect a big update soon. I know we said that before, but this time we've got communication going and the ability to put something together. Sorry about the whole ordeal gang, but stick with us and you'll see something you never thought possible!

Level 2
Well, wow. Didn't you think of using Skype\MSN\even Email to contact eachother earlier? :/

I just hope you don't lack anything. And I REALLY hope you still have Alex on your team. He sounds like a pretty cool guy.

Also, I assume that means you're going to update on the Hive more often? That's cool. :)

We've always been using MSN, but the problem was that Brandon was the one who held all the information and contacts and this system was maintained up until recently. We're trying to get back in contact with all of the team members and have most of them in on the change. However, since we were being funneled through one person and not an open forum, only that person has the contacts and we still haven't gotten in touch with all the members as of yet.

The piss of the matter is that Brandon is very active on his Minecraft project, updating about daily it seems, yet I haven't seen him on MSN for months, and that was the primary method of communication.

To reiterate, the problem was that we were using solely MSN and going through one person who became far more committed to another project, resulting in uncoordinated (yet pretty snazzy if I say so myself after finally getting to see some of the stuff) work that was never compiled into a concrete format for releases.

With this change, expect to see more updates and releases. Again, volunteers are welcome, merely email or contact me via MSN at [email protected] or [email protected] (the latter being the MSN).

It's really exciting seeing this ball rolling again and I hope you all choose to come along!

EDIT: Oh yeah, we have Alex, he's damned amazing at what he does and all-in-all a cool and talented guy.

Fret not yee'!

Level 49
Well, this is why Skype is useful.
You can maintain a "team conversation", and write EVERYTHING there, and name the conversation something like "WCIV: EoE Team Conversation", and whenever someone comes online he just reads through everything and states his opinion or knows what to do or downloads the files from a pastebin or something.
I don't see why would you talk in private conversations and not in one huge conversation with all the team members. And in the occasion that you don't want X to know what Y said, Y can privately contact everyone else.

Level 2
The new forum is here!

http://wceoe.zeusoft.net/index.php?action=forum

Expect big updates soon. First all the members are going to compile the work we've done and we'll then gather it in a tangible format for a large update post. There will be gameplay discussion, lore releases, texture previews, and programming work being shown off.

We'll actively encourage debate, speculation, and suggestions on the forums for the released materials. Within a handful of days this project's ready to explode!

Level 2
hi everybody, its me Alex from the EoE Art dev team!

I've heard that some people asked if I'm still part of the project and I have to say: of course I am ;). that should not be any self-adulation but I think for the community it is good news that our team still works very hard to realize that project.

but all in all that costs a lot of time and the work is not so easy at all! so we need help. I'm using the chance to post a job announcement to 'reinforce' our Art Team.

I've recognized that here are a lot of very talented people and it would be really great if some of them would join us.

allright here are the requirements:

first of all everyone that is interested in helping us MUST pass an Art test! but don't worry I will not let you work on project relevant stuff and then I say 'thanks but you are not the right person for the job'. that would be really unfair and so I decided to choose a test that will be similar to the projects work stuff... well warcraft relevant stuff ;). it is the best way to test the candidates skills. everyone will get another test in different categories.

and the second thing is please send worksamples (must not be finished! you can also present work in progress stuff!) and some short info what you've allready done in the branche, if you have any experience in modding whatever. ONLY those applications will be processed that send in some worksamples!! so watch for that before you post a message ;)

so please visit our homepage on http://wc4eoe.com/index.php?/forum/14-applications/. post a message that you're interested and what work you want to do (concept art, cinematic art, texture artist, etc.). after that you will be contacted and receive your test instructions per mail.

allright hope that there will be some interesting apllications soon and I wish you all a nice day!

cheers,

Alex

Level 19
That is excellent news Alex:)
Oh, good work on the project so far, it looks awesome, I'll help out once I'm done with the major exam on November.

Level 2
@ Grey Nightmare: ? what do you mean with 'links broken'??

@ Miss Foxy: good news but I'm afraid we can't wait so long. pls send some worksamples in the next few days so that I can see what 'you're made off' :D. and of course post in which position you wanna work. thanks thanks

Level 2
no that can't be. the last link itself should be visible for everyone. but I think you're right when it comes to apply for any job, that you have to register there. sry for that mistake

Level 2
yep I don't know why this happens. again we need support that means we need more staff to fullfill that project!!

so please everyone that is interested in helping us register and apply for any job!

trust me we don't bite :D

Level 3
We're still trying to make sure that it's fully possible to add a race, if not, we have to try to add all models etc etc to a dummy place so that it's possible to play via an alias... Which costs mork work and triggering, thus CPU usage... I'm currently leading the research and software team, whereas I'm the only member. So, I'm really desperate of searching for some professional UI editor. Other than for my departments, we really need 3D modelers and texture painters. Like, really bad. We currently only got one guy working.

Level 2
exactly! I totally agree with MD and to be honest it does not really matter were we stand at the moment. the most important thing is to get that project finished, but to do this we need staff. that's all. @ grey nightmare: questions are irrelevant atm and do not see that as a kind of verbal attack (well I'm not varine ;)) but that is the current situation at all and support is needed!!

@ Miss Foxy: looking forward to your application ;)

Level 2
thanks miss foxy but finally I need something to see. anyway 2 week s have past since my first post on that site and no one really wants to support us.... I can't really believe that and that make things even harder.

so again: if there's someone that can do modeling, create textures or whatever, pls do not hesitate and apply for a job.

I know most people have a job (I have one to) but currently I'm the only artist and I'm nearly on the edge.... we need support and thats it!

Level 6
No one wants to support it because of the history of it (Brandon, the original leader, breaking off from AED for whatever reason, thus losing my support, then him turning out to be for the most part totally incompetent at leading by himself, and even with me he sucked since he had this weird refusal to give me what I needed to manage it properly, like the storyline for instance), and no one knows what needs to be done still because no one has any idea what they're doing without a proper GDD and completion lists. What are they going to apply for if they don't know what needs to be done? A programmer isn't going to take a job if he doesn't know what he needs to program and an artist isn't going to take a job if he doesn't know what needs to be done. Voice actors really CAN'T take a job if they don't have a script, animators can't work if they don't have modelers to work with, and even if they had models they don't know what animations need to be done. How many walk cycles do they need? Is it a common unit that needs several death animations to avoid being repetitive? Does it even NEED a death animation? Is it a unit that needs a faster gait, or is it a unit under a lot of load that needs to walk slow? What about the attack animation? Can it cast spells? What kind of spells? Fireballs, does it call down ice shards from the sky, or does it channel something at a different unit? Is it like the footman, and has a shield that it can put in front of him? Is it supposed to be a pretty girl mage thing that needs to move in a more graceful manner? No one has any idea, and won't until you all get it figured out.

And then there's the communication issues, I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with the current standing (a proper one anyway) and have been for a few days (it should take a few hours to get at least a basic list together for people), and they still have that moron in charge of the site for some reason (in the year or so the mod was still under AED, we went through like three different layouts, none of which were complete and all of them had serious issues, and he refused to let me have access to it so I could fix it, it would have taken like a week. It would take a matter of a week. And they all looked almost exactly like skins you could just download for free or buy for a few dollars that actually worked. Then apparently decided to stop until he got paid for it despite it not being remotely functional. As to WHY he thought he was getting payment I don't know, I made it clear we couldn't pay anyone to Brandon but he insisted that it would be fine anyway for some reason... and then he tried that donation thing until I made him take it down).

If you guys get your shit together, made a proper website that actually worked and set up an effective form of communication, readily take help from people that know what they're doing instead of being like "Well I don't know, we'll have to ask someone else, we don't know what we need done I'll get back to you later, etc", stop with the "we can't do anything with more help" shit, you would get the help you need. No one wants to work on a project with ineffective leaders and a bunch of amateurs that can't do the work themselves.

Make a list of what you need done. If you're the only artist I assume you're the lead? Even if you're not, you might as well say you are anyway. Someone has to take control, and it seems no one wants to put the little bit of work in required to do it. Make a list of models that need to be done, include the animations that need to be on them, get some concept art or find examples of what you want it to look like, and link to various tutorials so people can see if they can do it, they can send it to you, get feedback, make it better. Give them a way to contact you that works (email or something that you actually check and respond to), don't leave posts and questions unanswered for days or weeks, and at the very least PRETEND to have everything together so you look like a professional setup, not a group of amateurs that took a few classes in high school and think they're pros (which currently is what you appear to be).

Level 6
I'm not scaring people away, I'm telling you what you need to do if you want to get anywhere very fast: get your shit together so you look a little more competent. I don't know what needs to be done or what is done, if anything, and as far as I can see you don't either because there aren't any completion lists. Or anything to give someone an idea as to how progress is, for that matter. It's not that hard. Fuck, I'll do it if you give me a list of people and their roles on the project and how to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.