• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft IV - The Edge of Eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
allright Varine, now the time has come:

I've watched your entries for a long time and now I will tell you what I think about you, you idiot!

First of all: how old are you? 19? how much work experience do you have in the branche? what? no experience??? oh nooooooo I'm totally sorry! to be honest I do not take any tips from a guy that has not any work experience in the modding scene or even in the games branche. correct me if I'm wrong!

man, you do not realize what you're talking about and that's why no one else wants to join your aeternal designs team. and a short info: I work in the games branche as an artist so please get some infos first before you affront me ok?

and trust me I know how the things are going there and what is necessary to do. btw I've never entitled myself as a lead artist nor I will do so. and if you had watched my post you would have recognized that all applicants have to succeed a test in a different work area (cinematic, modeling etc.). the ideas and the story, the races, campaigns what ever all that stuff is done.... so we have a plan and we're still in pre-production of the mod. you know that word? I'm sure you do.

next point: we need help. what's so wrong about that? is it wrong to call for support? hive workshop has so many talented people and I'm sure there are more talented people aside that page. we have to post job applications and when I read that our team is (from your point of view) completely incompetent... well... I'm getting a little bit angry... no I'm going to hit boiling point!

everyone works really hard for that project, and we do not need people like you that are away for month and then they return and the only thing they do is to post demotivating entries here!

we all have a job and we do that in our spare time so think about that. and please do not tell me that you have the same problems otherwise you would not have so much time to post shit in every forum you find in the internet ok?

and another question:

I thought you' re so successful with you' re projects and developments and the aeternal designs company... what went wrong? and why you're so interested in that mod? do you need a job because no one wants to work with you?

well again now you know what I think about you and your arguments. and I think everyone in that forum will agree with me that you should just shut up and concentrate on your own fucking projects!

Level 20
Look, we all know Varine is an ass, but he has a point.
No one is really sure where you stand, I'm not even sure the team members do.
If you could tell us EXACTLY what you've done and EXACTLY who you have and EXACTLY what you plan - People might be more inclined to join, hell. I'd love to help you myself - not that I can - could or would but I'd like to be able to purely because at one point I felt this had potential. I still think it does, I just think you need to re-organize, reschedule and get focussed.

And I'm by no means claiming I know what I'm doing here, I speak merely from experience - I'm part of the WCLOTD mod, it's basically what your doing but in the Starcraft II engine. We had this exact same problem, we had the team but we didn't have communication or an active, capable leader/s - Things kept cropping up and things became more of a mess.

We are right now as we speak taking a deep breath, sending out emails - revamping websites and gathering the team and drawing up a plan and list of what we've done and what we need doing, it's already working I foresee this summer to be an extremely fruitful time for us, I hope it will be the same for you.

Best of luck guys and if you want further advice or support, I'm happy to help in anyway I can.

Level 6
Yes, I am an ass, have periodic anger issues, and a tendency to be overtly aggressive. We came to a pretty much unanimous conclusion to that a long, long time ago. There was a poll, I think. Nightmare can probably tell you all about it, as can anyone that knows me. But all of that doesn't matter in the real world, because I know what the fuck I'm doing and get it done. And I work as well, typically when doing something outside of AED it's a contract work though. Even with only an hour or so a day you can get a hell of a lot more done than's been shown.

And Aeternal Designs is a COMPANY (and we get applications quite a bit. I don't know why, we don't have ads anywhere, we don't even have a website as we don't need one right now). Not a little play group making simple little mods for outdated games. And my company does a lot more than games, and some things that are watched extremely carefully by the ATF and FBI, although they're less of an issue right now because we're protected by FFA's to some extent, and some of those things, if I fuck up just a little bit, we are looking at federal investigations and felonies and injuries and lawsuits because someone got the side of their face blown off if my gun didn't contain the explosion, or someone got shot because it started slam firing because the safety blocks on the firing pin failed. They take time, although I've gotten significantly further even with that in the past few months than this mod has gotten in the past three years, and there is a lot of times I simply can't do anything, like now because I am still waiting for various things I needed to outsource to get printed off, and then waiting for responses for the ATF or some other law enforcement agencies. And then I have to spend a lot of time going over government contracts, calculating costs, comparisons between my designs and others, etc. And moreover it's expensive. Do you have three hundred grand for the CNC I need? I don't, so I need to build one, which also takes a lot of time because of the extremely tight tolerances we need. And then there's the security systems I have to develop. Do you know how to stop people from cracking your software? It's not easy, because there are a lot of people that are really good at it. Although it's usually not very hard... sometimes just really annoying.

As for my interest, AED (MY company) used to own this mod, long before you showed up. Or anyone that I'm aware of that's currently on the team, for that matter, going on back to 2008 or so. It was supposed to be the forerunner of the company's next games, but two years later nothing came through. I could probably still lay claim to it if I wanted to, so could Brandon and that Shady guy that disappeared. And everything you listed just now was done long ago, when it was still affiliated with me. I had copies of most of it at one point. So as to what you've been doing I don't know (and by the way, art assets aren't developed in pre-production. I've worked in the games industry too). And if you spent some time looking through old threads and posts you would also know that as soon as I was out, everything went totally to hell. Even MusicDemon testified to that somewhere, considering he was one of the few people who had ever accomplished much, although his loader thing wasn't really much. I don't really know what else he did, if anything. And yes I am aware of your stupid test. My point was to tell you it was idiotic, especially right now when you have little to nothing to show.

But instead of getting angry, why not enlighten everyone to everything you apparently know? A lot of people have asked, and a lot of people seem to be disappointed. It would do a lot better than trying to counter me with your little defensive speech that accomplished nothing other than instill more confidence in my thoughts and show you're kind of sensitive... no wonder you're not lead. It would also make me look like an idiot. But you didn't. Why is that?

Also you appear to have a somewhat tenuous grasp of English. You should maybe take some classes. Or at least look up the definition of words before using them.

Level 2
to be honest I'm not really interested in what you're working on and what problems you have. I wish you all the best and good look but that's off topic. and yes my written english is not very good I agree with that but you have to remember that it is always easier for you to argue in your national language than it is for me. so again that's no argument.

well and maybe it was my fault that you' re now angry with me... so I want to apologize for my, let's say harsh introduction. I don't write this because I'm afraid of you, no. I write this because I want that project to be done and I'm the type of guy that recognizes when a mistake was done or even when I've argued in a wrong way. and of course I don't have in mind to battle with you!

but well you have to understand me: I'm still the only artist, I've made a detailed job post (I know from you're point of view it is worthless) asked some of my friends for support but no one really wants to help. so I REALLY want to push that project but what else can I do? I made updates in the forum (maybe you haven't seen them) were I'm currently standing and what is currently in production (oh and pre-production do not contain art assets that's right, but of course concept art and sketches which are not really 'assets').

and to keep in mind I work 40h and even more the week and when we have a milestone it could happen that i have to spend the night in the office. for me as an artist it is extremely hard to continue my work on the mod at the end of the day during weekdays. and contract work is something were you can spend one hour a day that is true. but i don't do contract work... not anymore.

weekends are ok but when you're the only artist left it is not so funny as it seems to be. so pls keep that in mind!

and finally there's something else i was wondering about: why didn't you return some months ago?

Level 20
Arcisal - If I had to guess it's in something I like to call a downward spiral.
The team wants to continue but they're so few, they are producing very little in long periods of time and of course there struggling to get more members because of that exact same reason - the project seems to be going nowhere.

You need evidence of work to attract people and you need people to do said work, a bit of dilemma really :/

I would suggest you post an update on this thread or moddb (if possible) - Most of the general public (including myself admittedly) are too lazy to surf around or register on project forums.

Level 48
Hey, you guys... Alex(I presume) and Varine, Private Messages and Visitor Messages are there for a reason. As interesting as it is to read through your argument, this thread is supposedly for you to show us progress and information about the project. You're going slightly off-topic here, on your own thread.
Oh, and I'd LOVE to have this mod going on again. It's such a shame Kingz failed so miserably(and is now working on his stupid Minecraft mod).
Oh, and if you want recruits; Post EVERYTHING you have in a big, decorated post here or in the Project Recruitment forum, put a flashy signature image linking there in your signatures, and most in the Modeling & Animation forums about needing artists(with pictures of the currently finished work). If you just write some lines of text and then ask for people to join, no one will be interested.

Level 2
Long story in short: everyone's busy as hell and we've got too few people to put out enough work to showcase.

We're rather swamped as is and if you joined the team now you'll likely find yourself doing little while we either try to find enough time to gather the troops again and have a boom of work or until we can get enough people together that we don't have to dedicate days on end working individually.

I guess that wasn't so short, but in the end, if you've got any real experience or are willing to learn (on your own time mainly ;D) feel free to sign up! You'll likely have no work to suffer for the time being and when you do it'll be little and fun since you'll be engaged in a community.

P.S. Varine, I honestly despise you and insist that you stay out of this thread. Your continued involvement will only result in my requesting from mods that you are banned from posting here.

If anything, your previous posts are more than evidence enough of how flagrantly rude and ridiculous you are. Even if you feel that you're justified: no one cares and all want you to leave and stay out.

Level 20
Deolrin's right.
Hell, if you sent me everything you had I'd be more than happy to make the thread for you, as I'm sure many others would. But trust me it's worth taking a few days if not a few weeks off to gather more members and then tackle it as a team instead of trudging on broken and alone!

Level 19
I will still continue to support this nonetheless, I'm sure that if somebody's dedicated enough it can still be possible, even if the progress is slow.

Level 1
Hello,

It's been a while again since I last posted here. I did some of the music for this project, back when this project was running. And even though Varine might not bring it the right way, he has a point. Not just that, I do honestly think this project is dead. Once in 3 months I get a message if I want to help again, but after I started a little I don't hear anything anymore from the leaders, so I don't think I'll ever join again.

I also think King won't come back after he finished his Minecraft mod. If you want to know this, it is probably the most anticipated Minecraft mod ever made, and I know this, I'm a hardcore MC player. I don't think King will ever return to WCIII after this, I think he'll stay on MC, just so you know.

Also, he had exams until this Friday, so you might be able to contact him again somewhere.

~Emile

Level 19
I don't mind, as long as somebody (Even if it's somebody else) is continuing this project, I will be glad to help test or give suggestions.

Level 2
thank you for your support!

info from my side: we are working on several updates including a new job advertisement and something very special. hopefully I can show you some new updates very soon so please stay focused and stilll believe in that project!

Level 2
allright there. to be honest I wanted to wait with it when it is done but now I want to show you an art piece that I'm currently working on. and as far as I know after the job post is finished we start with the art props for a short cinematic teaser. of course this will take a long time but I'm sure that we will have more to show then!

allright enjoy the current piece (again it is work in progress!!) and thanks to all for the support!

Attachments

• bloodelf_colored_version_impression12.jpg
    bloodelf_colored_version_impression12.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 1,696
Level 2
truly you're right. there's the WoW influence in that character. but you know it is a little bit hard to create a completely new style for that race.... but yeah let's see how far we can go to make any changes to the race for the ingame stuff. btw what means 'derp'?

Level 10
personaly, its not bad for a work in progress
oh yea, i had an idea, for some blood elf units, what will be the standard infantry units?
while some people will say swordsman, im thinking that is kinda overused, so i thought maybe you guys can make one based off the Zealot from sc2? like where the elf uses the two laser daggers or something....

Level 2
ah ok now I understand. yep he's buffed up but I wanted more exaggeration on that guy, you know it is a matter of taste. but you're right (again ;)) when you think about the 'real' blood elfs that this one is way too muscular!

but it is great to get your feedback. go for it!

Level 2
thank you! about the poly count: do not worry about the details shown in the art pieces. most characters will have the same poly count as the original warcraft 3 and frozen throne chars. other details will be created in the diffuse (textures) maps. cinematic chars will be high poly characters of course. and again that will take a lot of time!

Level 19
Actually that'd be quite nice lol, to have him back again would greatly speed up the process. And since he's done with his mod, I'm sure it wouldn't be too erm... bad for him.

Level 1
Oh don't get your hopes up for that.
I'm doing the music for that mod so I am in close development and I am quite sure he won't come back to this. He'll update the aether quite frequently, and I know about a secret future project.

Level 2
I would love to join this project, it look so awesome and epic!
I can do mapping and stuff but not good, so i can`t do much about that. But i can make videos, i have after effects, premiere, sony vegas http://www.youtube.com/user/Doronsmovies here is my youtube channel.
I make world of wacraft machinima
I can help with the videos, i can give ideas, i know so much about lore! I have played wacraft 1,2,3 i have a wow account, i read all comics,books,lore and stuff. So please if you can accept my help reply to me, pm me or contact me to [email protected]

Level 6
The mod is being restructured in it's entirety. This thread needs to be closed as we'll be making a new once we are ready to proceed with the development. Soon we'll be looking for people who know the universe well, though, to help us with rewriting the scripts. Send me or TausiM86 a PM and we'll get back in touch with you when we know what we're going to do.

Level 6
Quick update:

As far as I know, TausiM86 is the only member left from the last team. We've taken over management for the time being.

To cut a long story short, we're restarting the entire project (well, considering that almost nothing was actually done, we haven't been put that far back). Because no one seemed to really have any idea of what was going on and there were significant problems with resource-sharing, everything is very hard to sift through. I've gathered what I can, and wrote a new outline out that takes place shortly after The Frozen Throne.

We're making a new forum and will be looking for people familiar with the Warcraft lore, pre-World of Warcraft, to help refine the outline and develop the script.

After we have the script going a little way and determined the tech trees, we'll start with the level design and artwork, and begin voice overs.

Because of the serious issues previously with the mod, I think it's safe to say most people are going to be skeptical about offering help. Which is fine, as we're not going to be recruiting for anything other than writers and some people to help with cartography until we have some headway and visible progress.

As for the writers, which we do need, if anyone thinks they can contribute send me a PM. Mostly we're looking for people who know the world fairly well, or are willing to do research. Send me a private message, and I'll get back to you when the forum is up. Basically there will be a specialized development section for the team members (more than that below), where the outline will be posted. From there we'll basically discuss what's wrong with it, what's good with it, and build on it to develop the best story we can and hopefully begin making a proper script soon.

The team membership is also going to change.
I'm against the application thing for anyone that wants to contribute. Right now we have some amount of restriction, primarily for practicality (if we have a hundred people working on the script, everyone is going to want to do something else and it will become extremely hard to make progress and result in a bunch of people not cooperating. If we have say ten people, it will be easier to get our points through and can work together a lot better).

After the script is in order, we'll basically have a series of completion lists, each in their respective thread. People will be able to 'claim' a project, like a model or something, and work on it. Post screenshots for feedback, etc. Assuming that person ends up not being very useful (like someone claims something then we never hear from them again), then it'll go back up. These people will be contributors.

We'll be careful not to post the entire script there and only what's absolutely necessary, as some people may want to help, but at the same time not want the story to be ruined for them. There will be a forum for the discussion of the storyline once it's done that people who may want to know it beforehand for whatever reason can ask about it or read it.

Team members will be those who have total access to the mod. Primarily, these will be the ones who do the majority of the data work and integration of assets, oversee the artwork and level designs, initial testing etc. They will be the ones who actually have to show some amount of proficiency because they're expected to be able to tell people who want to contribute what they're doing wrong, help them when they have issues, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.