• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive traditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
oh hi guys, its me again. im just curious about if you Hive-ers has some traditions, for example: the 666th post. what is that all about? also, if there any other traditions, just let me know.

Level 9
Wait. Flame? Thought that is banned.....
I really appriciated you guys for sharing this. I'd love to give +rep for anyone who give me the best tradition of the Hive, but I don't know how. Anyway, any thing else?

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hive traditions? That's a hard one.

People are in fact arranging Warcraft game nights every now and then, you can follow it in the notices, but here's an excerpt in case you dismissed the notice.
Notices said:
[Feb 21-22] Some crazy people are creating maps in 24 hours and then play them together. Would you like to make a map or play?
Read these two threads for more information [Wc3 mapmaking challenge, Funmap suggestion thread].

What a stupid thing to say. Flaming is not permitted.

What other traditions do we have?

There's the snow in the top in the winter months, but that's not much of a social tradition, just something I choose to do.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I guess that only goes to show that we're doing our jobs proper :)
- 1+ Moderator Narcissism.
I think the «flamewars» are actually the drama threads. Such threads were promoted by moderators themselves (such as brad.dude back in his days [1]) before someone eventually labeled those threads, impoverished, as “drama”. Then it became a "tradition" to name them so and, then, certain admins starting thinking of them as a plague in urgent need of extermination.

This to say that the lack of them is not necessarily a positive sign. It's possibly an indication of staff not wanting to listen to what people have to say.

EDIT: Reminds me of Hakeem's "Honesty" thread. Honesty is what the thread I referenced is filled with. I haven't seen anything even close in some time.

Level 26
Also we used to play some custom games together but many members were banned. Most of them never came back.

There's a group on deviantart.com Look there for the banned people. They gather there. Some of them irc, some of them skype. They all keep in close contact. If you don't know this, I would assume that you weren't considred close in that regard and as such it wouldn't have mattered much if they were still here. As it is now, they are gone, the hive is friendlier and the community is growing. Things couldn't be better.

Reminds me of Hakeem's "Honesty" thread. Honesty is what the thread I referenced is filled with. I haven't seen anything even close in some time.

What would people be so honest about that they couldn't just ask us about it in the chat? We're online daily and if someone asks, we answer. If they complain with a solid reason, we will look into it. A thread about honesty is a ticking time bomb, which is just annoying in my opinion. I never like to sprinkle a community with bombs. That's my opinion anyhow.

Level 36
I think the «flamewars» are actually the drama threads. Such threads were promoted by moderators themselves (such as brad.dude back in his days [1]) before someone eventually labeled those threads, impoverished, as “drama”. Then it became a "tradition" to name them so and, then, certain admins starting thinking of them as a plague in urgent need of extermination.

I wasn't really referring to those Moderators, though, was I? >.>
I also don't think "flamewars" were invented on the hive :)

This to say that the lack of them is not necessarily a positive sign.

And neither is it necessarily a negative sign.

It's possibly an indication of staff not wanting to listen to what people have to say.

I can't obviously answer for all the staff, but that's certainly not the case with me.
I'd gladly listen to anyone who'd got a problem I could help them with.

Though, I guess this conversation is getting somewhat derailed, if you'd like
to continue this conversation, mind taking it to VMs? >.>

Level 26
Well, traditions that could've been fun would be something like holiday themed events. For example, during Christmas, the design looks..
Christmas-ish and we get contests releated to Christmas or coldness in general. During Easter we could have something like that. ect.

I actually liked the Talk like a Pirate day tradition and I wouldn't mind if that came back as a continued tradition. XD

Level 9
So why can't we start another Game Night? Its not hard. We can also know eachother better and try our War3 skills.

Level 26
Some people have this REP WARS..long ago newbies join this one to gain more rep but now it stop since the best rep warrior Hell_Master is very far to be defeated... he win..

i join this one also...

If by rep wars you mean to send rep to each other back and forth for no other reason than to add rep to each other? That's against the rules. So I doubt that would be able to evolve into a tradition.

Level 6
Well, I have learned a lesson not to do this wrong tradition. It's never the best way to get rep by doing nothing.

Yeah that's right.. i think REP doesn't matter to be popular.. helping others will be the best way..

Also while searching for some groups i found that long ago there was here in hive a MY LITTLE PONY WARS... Brony vs Anti Ponies...

Level 24
Reputation does not really mean anything it's just something that's fun to collect but pretty meaningless. In my opinion the most important thing is to help people out but if you need anything to measure your activity I'd say use posts rather than reputation.

Level 9
Until we have the "Only high reps can acess this feature" I asume that the best way for how good you are in this Hive Workshop is to help people.
P.S: Hope for Mr.Ralle don't have that "high reps" feature.

Level 30
Of course, Ralle won't do a feature like that, that's just so harsh for the new users out there and there is no need to give meaning to rep anymore just being a measure how you've been helpful or something to measure how people appreciates you and your works.

Level 24
About post counts at 666 or 1337 I supose it's just a "HA! Nice" thingy.

Yeah if posts actually made all the difference that would make Dr_Super_Good rule over this website. 16,3 k posts is not a small amount.

No idea what the third is, but I'm glad they forgot about the other ones :razz:

I have not been here long enough to be able to completely agree with you.
But from what I can see it's mostly a popularity test because of the construction.

I believe the "Shadow Warrior" is the user who has been most active/constructive "behind the scenes". I don't know how it is measured.
Though I like that idea since it is not really the community who decides the nominated, which often tends to be quite biased.

Nevertheless. All of the three falls under the category of traditions, which I believe the thread is about :)

Edit:
Ah! Here. It's a Shadow Dancer, not warrior.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/latest-updates-news-101/merit-badge-2-light-within-us-235031/

Last edited:
Level 9
Shadow Dancer? That must be the one everybody hates.
Man, I LOVE THIS PLACE! This is the coolest website I've ever known. And also good traditions, too. Hope Ralle will make more traditions.

Level 10
I think one of the Hive's greatest thing is that we have these mapping / resource contests. That's a good "tradition".

I thought the same thing. Besides the already mentioned winter theme... the contests, even If some lacked of conestants, are something unique.
They are fun to watch even if you aren't participating and most of the time the hiveusers benefit from the contests in general (like due a model contest).

I like especially the last part. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Come to think of it... trophies would have been a nice addition. Like user of month xy or Contest xy winner and so on displayed below the avatar.
Or wait, didn't this feature even has been published with the upcomming hiveworkshop relaunch?

Level 26
I thought the same thing. Besides the already mentioned winter theme... the contests, even If some lacked of conestants, are something unique.
They are fun to watch even if you aren't participating and most of the time the hiveusers benefit from the contests in general (like due a model contest).

I like especially the last part. :ogre_hurrhurr:

Come to think of it... trophies would have been a nice addition. Like user of month xy or Contest xy winner and so on displayed below the avatar.
Or wait, didn't this feature even has been published with the upcomming hiveworkshop relaunch?

We already got "trophies" though. Notable examples; Scroll up to Dr. Super Good. You can see that concept in action there.

Status
Not open for further replies.