• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Revive the Hive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The hive has been around for a long time(A looong long time) and it's been doing pretty well on its own. however I created this thread to discuss, what can you do to bring hivers to the hive.

the idea of picketed signs and parades around schools, comes to my mind when I think about it, but there is no way in hell I'll do that. perhaps you guys have better ideas

besides what can you do. what do you think the hive should do to increase and keep it's members, no matter what age?

Level 32
I think it's harder to keep members than to gain members. To keep members, things just gotta keep being interesting but not too negative. People will lose their interests, especially for a website centered around a decade+ old game. Many users here also stay because of the friends they made on WC or Hive and there's not much to control that besides add more social features like Ralle / Archian / whoever has did in the past.

To gain members, we can start by encouraging users to recommend the Hive. I do this almost every time I'm on battle.net, casually, when it's relevant to the conversation going on. Hive is relevant a lot when people are talking about maps for days. Encourage map creators to put Hive in the loading screen or quests log. We could invite map makers to who've created popular maps & clan chieftains to the site; they always have followers. Many times, these guys create their own site and it fails. It isn't necessary to set up a news post or something similar to it about these encouragements, maybe a sticky thread in the map section (if possible) or other places would do it.

Affiliates! There are still many decently semi-active sites out there. The WC3 community is no longer about competition and rivalry, we're banding together, or should be, nowadays. These are some non WC3 affiliates still getting a few posts per week / month:
ENTgaming.net, Xenoforo.GamerIsles.org, Fire.Vampirism.eu, GamerTales.net, WarlockBrawl.org, Eeve.org, Blizzmodding.info (and its network),
Even some YouTube channels like Azothan, WtiiWarcraft, CrotaGaming, Alphacarus, can work as affiliates.

Working closer with affiliates may also pay off, but that's unproven. Diplomunion.com, BrigandsShaven.net, and MakeMeHost.com are the most active of our affiliates at the moment. We work closely with MMH and I know a few users who jump between Diplo, Brigands, and Hive frequently like I do.

We can also market the Hive slightly differently, making it more welcome to the player / clan and tournament scene.

Nice job creating this thread :)

Last edited:
Level 32
To be honest, I don't think there's anything to do about it.

Wc3 will slowly die, and the hive along with it. (unless it expands to support other games, or if wc4 is released) There is nothing we can do about it as a [highlight]single person[/code]. We can make it decay slower I suppose, but that's about it.

I highlighted single person.

Of course a full on revival to the prime days seems out of grasp. But a better experience with a significant boost of activity doesn't seem so.

Level 19
Ya!!!!

look at those solutions flooding in to support the hive! I think we are headed on the right part.

so far we have:
encourage hive promotions through intro screens, quest logs and over battle net.

am I missing anything you could add?

Level 21
It's been more than a decade,of course it won't be as active as it was.People move on,that's how it is.The Hive is still far from completely dead though

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

In my opinion, ... ( :) I'm a kid. :) Please ignore this comment if this is really ignorant or off-topic. :) )
I think even though WC3: TFT is slowly dying but there are new expansions released by Blizzard so this website can be alive.

Once there are no more new games released by Blizzard (just in case), maybe THW can start to accumulate all game engines, game development-related tools, game engines' tutorials, game development showcases, game-related subsequent knowledges, programming-related stuffs, game resources and so forth hence enhance the advancement of Modding & Development forum so THW will be much more stronger and lasted longer. (not only WC3 and SC2 modding)
(For alternative learning spaces? :) )

Maybe there should be one more specific section for WC3 modding. I mean the own made in-game user interface in WC3: TFT rather than the skin/texture/surface of the WC3 user interface.

Yup, I don't think THW will die fast because Hive 2 will be released soon! Hive 2 will catch the eyes of the audiences to join it. (or maybe it already did it)
Remember Hive 2! :)

Hive 2 yields another milestone in Blizzard games' resources modding! :)

Edit:
... I registered in May 2015 but now I see this kind of thread... Quiet... Quiet creepy... Because... I just joined it, I don't want it to die! Whatever...!

Me said:
For alternative learning spaces? :)
I mentioned that because WC3: TFT is a game. There are still many game development learning spaces. We need to learn more stuffs! (not only restricted to WC3: TFT and SC2 modding, but as what THW stands for... It is WC3 & SC2 modding community website...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
I always see a lot of drama here about the death of warcraft III, in fact ive been hearing it for years. First it was when DOTA 1 players started moving to alternative servers, then it was when Starcraft 2 was relased, then League of Legends, then DOTA 2, now Dota 2 custom maps. Guess what folks Wc3 hasen't died, in fact i feel like people are moving back to Warcraft. THW always has a buncha new threads and i always see new faces on those threads, Twitch.tv's wc3 views are usually between 100-2000, which is more than like any other 15 year old game on twitch. I see pro gamers from the good old days pop out all the time, even if it's just to stream for like a day or 2, like Grubby, Moon, Check ect... I see new types of custom games become incredibly popular overnight, like hero of the empire or rise of vampyr. I see Douyutv.com with like over 10 000 chinese viewers watching wc3 stuff all the time (i am aware Douyutv has botting problems). So basically there is really no need to worry bout warcraft III. Best way to make sure this growth keeps happening.... is to keep playing!

Level 21
Guys, why are you so perturbed about the death of WC3? It's like believing in the crap "the world will end in 2012" which, naturally, did not happen. WC3 will take lots and lots of years to die because of all the custom maps that are released daily. WC3 cannot be considered as a single game but as multiple games packed in one, that's why it's surviving and why its communities, such as this one, are still hectic. Originally, WC3 multiplayer should merely be for melee games but, thanks to the World Editor, you can play TDs, Hero Arenas, RPGs etc... There's so much variation that you can play a different map genre everyday only on Warcraft.

So my conclusion is that Warcraft will not die soon. The communities of WC3 also keep members that do not play Warcraft active (WhiteFang is an example).

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Shadow Fury said:
Originally, WC3 multiplayer should merely be for melee games but, thanks to the World Editor, you can play TDs, Hero Arenas, RPGs etc... There's so much variation that you can play a different map genre everyday only on Warcraft.

I agree this by 100%! The melee and custom maps in WC3: TFT behave the games. I always play WC3: TFT because its maps are free to be played plus there will be new maps released. They don't cost your money. :D :)

I still can see there are about 2500/2800 players (Malaysians) in playing WC3: TFT in Garena+. :)

There will be about 4000 Malaysians in playing WC3: TFT in Garena+ during Friday, Saturday and Sunday. :)

WC3: TFT is mighty! It is alive!

Level 19
yes but how do we intend to increase membership and most importantly, keep members.

our membership is so low right now. a group of less then 10 people could post, 'the hive is dying' in every thread before anyone could reply

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Yes, I have discussed Hive users' activeness and statistics in chat.

My discussion in chat was that I can see there are new registered users every day but the amount of online users keeps in the same value (just varying a little even though there is a change for that). I meant the total amount of users is increased but the amount of online users keeps the same. The ratio for these users amount I have mentioned is decreased.

Level 6
WC3 cannot be considered as a single game but as multiple games packed in one, that's why it's surviving and why its communities, such as this one, are still hectic.

Good point.

Well, to bring THW's community back 100% or "revive", a new game with a more developed World Editor must be released by Blizzard. Wc4 or Sc3 idk, but a new World Editor is gonna be the wet dream of every hiver.

Level 3
Members need to be more active and answer the idea factory and project recruitment. Postivity and hope may bring it back.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Well, I myself have seen members leave the hive and some of them are on my friends list.
Actually WC3 is quite an old game and people are starting to move ahead of this game (not me).

In My Opinion there's nothing that can be done to stop the hive from becoming extinct however new features and contents can be added to make it more interesting. All Im saying is we can just slow it down...

but that day when hive dies is far far far away so lets not worry about it now and be happy like this smilie :as:

Level 21
Well, I myself have seen members leave the hive and some of them are on my friends list.
Actually WC3 is quite an old game and people are starting to move ahead of this game (not me).

In My Opinion there's nothing that can be done to stop the hive from becoming extinct however new features and contents can be added to make it more interesting. All Im saying is we can just slow it down...

but that day when hive dies is far far far away so lets not worry about it now and be happy like this smilie :as:
Well,the Hive can't die if there are still people online.And I don't plan on leaving.So unless Ralle closes the site,it won't die

Level 16
While there are many reasons why we are all here at "The hive", the most common is we all used to play Warcraft III. While I may have friends that used to play games and since those games are not our main interest, we still remain friends, it has almost NOTHING to do with the old game, but what happened since that was our common interest.

I think the same can be related to "The Hive" it's a community with common interests. Warcraft III is long past over, new games have come and updated in its place. The game is still a classic legacy game that is a dear fav of mine, but I come to THW to see what people are up to, not what the game is up to. I like to see new creators come up with new ideas, I like to see old master of their art make updates. it's a great community you guys have here.

I may not post anymore (minus this one), I don't review Maps anymore, but I still come in, see whats going on, and hop out once or twice a month. I would be sad to see this website end, and I think in a way.. that's exactly what Ralle originally did to wc3sear.ch (the site where this account is originally from). He wanted to restore the community and that is why I am still here.

Level 21
While there are many reasons why we are all here at "The hive", the most common is we all used to play Warcraft III. While I may have friends that used to play games and since those games are not our main interest, we still remain friends, it has almost NOTHING to do with the old game, but what happened since that was our common interest.

I think the same can be related to "The Hive" it's a community with common interests. Warcraft III is long past over, new games have come and updated in its place. The game is still a classic legacy game that is a dear fav of mine, but I come to THW to see what people are up to, not what the game is up to. I like to see new creators come up with new ideas, I like to see old master of their art make updates. it's a great community you guys have here.

I may not post anymore (minus this one), I don't review Maps anymore, but I still come in, see whats going on, and hop out once or twice a month. I would be sad to see this website end, and I think in a way.. that's exactly what Ralle originally did to wc3sear.ch (the site where this account is originally from). He wanted to restore the community and that is why I am still here.
Wow,awesome post :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am here to build more Pylons. Without them the Hive will quickly reach its supply limit and be unable to train more members. Wait maybe that was in a dream...

Hive could expand into SC2 now if it wanted since SC2 Mapster has greatly reduced in size over the years.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
2zen4u.

Seriously though, just keep doing what you're all doing and everything will continue to be fine. There's a good thing going on here, and there's no need to worry about what comes next so long as we're enjoying what we're up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.