• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Chat mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I know here is already a similar thread but...

why don't we just convert the hive chat into a mobile app. it's a whole lot simpler than making a mobile notification and thread system

I'm sure it's just a matter of linking up to the system print of the current hive chat and that's about it. make a rough gui and bam!

you boost both the number of hive chatters as well as get more people linking to the site more regularly

what do you think?

Level 19
Why do you think it is so simple?
because it is. the code is already there in the script of the hive chat. all that is required is someone to copy that code, wrap it with a gui and add mobile functionality

it could take 1 days worth of work, even less.

I could make it but I don't know any java script. still through java I could just hijack the hive workshop through data mining and turn a forum into a hive chat app

ralle would hate me though and it wouldn't be the proper way to do it

You could also just use discord.
what is discord?

Level 19
You sir are super naive about development time.

Besides, who even has one day of work? 8 hours of work for me is a week. At this time maybe even two weeks. I only work on this site in my free time.
I'm not asking you personally to do it
anyone can look into a sites script

I can data mine this forum and give a notification every time someone posts up a new message

it would take me a day to do this and it would act exactly like a chat app. sending the messages to my gui and allowing me to reply back.

it doesn't take long and you know it. the only hard part would be creating a sign In that syncs with the hive, but that would only be hard for me not for the site owner

Level 19
For some reason you keep suggesting things that are incredibly seemingly easy to make, but you can't make them. Make it. After all, the site scripts are right there, and this is very easy, why not contribute?
I don't know JavaScript
but I can make it via java and data mining the site

@Ralle will you allow me to demonstrate what can be done?

I ask because legally you can sue if I don't ask permission

So you don't even know the language you'd need to make use of the available scripts but you KNOW it is easy to make?

And why the hell do you think data mining has anything to do with making any of this work?

You're also asking what discord is which I can't even take seriously because it looks like you've done zero research on this. You want to create an application for a much less populated THW chat than that which exists on discord.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
So you don't even know the language you'd need to make use of the available scripts but you KNOW it is easy to make?

And why the hell do you think data mining has anything to do with making any of this work?

You're also asking what discord is which I can't even take seriously because it looks like you've done zero research on this. You want to create an application for a much less populated THW chat than that which exists on discord.
Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while... I'll Google discord when I get the chances.

data mining doesn't have much to do with it but it would simulate the same product

using data mining I could collect what is already on the hive and transfer that information to an app. it wouldn't allow you the user to reply because that requires you to log in as well as JavaScript to interact, but it would mean you would at least get a notification and see what is on

if I knew JavaScript I probably could program it. I know it's not hard based on the fact that data mining it is half the task, mining what is already online so you can see it. of course the other half is replying.

lefts face it, we would rather use the hive chat from a phone than a computer. plus any new source of interaction with the hive means more activr users^-^

My point is that you just need to find the API for the chat room so that you know how to connect to the backend (logging in, sending messages, retrieving chat list, getting messages feed, etc), there is no reason whatsoever to use any sort of data mining here.

It sounds like when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Also I am pretty sure new users are more likely to have a discord than want to install a third party application to interact with THW chat. Having the application would be BETTER THAN NOT HAVING IT, but IMO it is just not worth the effort at this stage.

Level 19
My point is that you just need to find the API for the chat room so that you know how to connect to the backend (logging in, sending messages, retrieving chat list, getting messages feed, etc), there is no reason whatsoever to use any sort of data mining here.

It sounds like when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Also I am pretty sure new users are more likely to have a discord than want to install a third party application to interact with THW chat. Having the application would be BETTER THAN NOT HAVING IT, but IMO it is just not worth the effort at this stage.
hmm does this mean you know it is easy? then why argue with me at all? you make a valid point without needing to try and discred my argument that is easy. I still don't know what this discord is but I takes it that it is some sort of chat service? if this is the case I only wonder, does it bring more views and users to the hive or is it a totally different site all together

ralle has already expressed his dislike of out sourcing since it reduces hive traffic and as such lowers advertising profit

hmm does this mean you know it is easy? then why argue with me at all?

No, I am not saying I know it is easy, I know what needs to be done and how, but making it would actually still take considerable time if you want to do it right. You can't just hack up JavaScript and call it a day. That's not how web > mobile development works at all.

you make a valid point without needing to try and discred my argument that is easy. I still don't know what this discord is but I takes it that it is some sort of chat service? if this is the case I only wonder, does it bring more views and users to the hive or is it a totally different site all together

ralle has already expressed his dislike of out sourcing since it reduces hive traffic and as such lowers advertising profit

And how do you think a THW chat app is gong to solve this? You would need a whole THW app, that also displays ads for this to do anything.

Level 19
No, I am not saying I know it is easy, I know what needs to be done and how, but making it would actually still take considerable time if you want to do it right. You can't just hack up JavaScript and call it a day. That's not how web > mobile development works at all.

And how do you think a THW chat app is gong to solve this? You would need a whole THW app, that also displays ads for this to do anything.
a hive app will still success the same server hive is on, increasing traffic to the site even if it is artificial it will still boost the advertising pay back.

Google pays according to your sites traffic, not according to how many adverts are clicked

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Making a chat is objectively easy.
It was one of the first assignments I had when I started University.

However, that was for a website not a phone application. But I reckon the basics should be roughly the same.
That being said, there is no need for it.

We have a discord chat room which has full mobile support.
What we actually would want is to integrate discord into hive.

Level 19
Making a chat is objectively easy.
It was one of the first assignments I had when I started University.

However, that was for a website not a phone application. But I reckon the basics should be roughly the same.
That being said, there is no need for it.

We have a discord chat room which has full mobile support.
What we actually would want is to integrate discord into hive.
as long as it brings traffic to the hive I say it is a great idea

Status
Not open for further replies.