• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[THought]-Gmail Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm aware this system works fine....
But there are other systems...
And Its about Getting curious... about other women.... even though your married... or loosly dating....

THe Wiki of the Gmail Drive

I actually don't really have an opinion one way or another... But I suppose there are pros and Cons
Pro-Bandwith of this site can stay relatively low (except for Forum)
COn-I don't know if people can delete things on the drive or not... etc... also... people might forget the hive and just use the drive...

Level 25
I have noticed that... you seem to enjoy typing... like William Shatner. This is... Quite hilarious when I... read your comments, as I... add a mental voice to the... words which gives me great.... humor

Unfortunately, if you had read your silly little link and not bothered... seeing... how... many... periods... you... could... put... into... one... sentence, you would have seen that it has a thing against zip files. Also, our system works fine anyway. Also, we know nothing about it

Level 12
I have noticed that... you seem to enjoy typing... like William Shatner. This is... Quite hilarious when I... read your comments, as I... add a mental voice to the... words which gives me great.... humor

Unfortunately, if you had read your silly little link and not bothered... seeing... how... many... periods... you... could... put... into... one... sentence, you would have seen that it has a thing against zip files. Also, our system works fine anyway. Also, we know nothing about it

:D so true...........

But... My... Silly, Link... Has not... been deemed.... impossible...... or.... Useless...

Yeah.....
You prolly don't remember me mech since I'm not.... Useful....
But your name is still remembered.... People talk about you.... especially girls....

In any case.....
Zip files Isn't that big a deal when you have a giant Drive that you can use...
Also... In the event that the system gets overloaded... (Like Wc3search did)
Which I doubt happening since this forum doesn't have as many people submitting files as it used to at Wc3 did at its prime...
-Which might be associated to the noob freindliness of the site... and modeling tutorials...

This Could be a good alternative...

i suggest you keep it in mind in the rare event this place has too much bandwith
or... Decides to move towards Starcraft 2...

Because when it does.... I'm sure it'll help make the site significantly faster.....

Significantly....

Level 34
The thing is, we are not Wc3sear in any way, as our webmaster isn't a tool, we know how to script, and we're not like 8 GB's over our bandwidth/storage cap.

We OWN our own server, so yeah, we kinda know what we're doing.
We? You mean Ralle?

Level 25
See? Now the bloody ellipses are just getting annoying. How's about you leave the damn period key alone?

But seriously. We don't know how to use the bloody thing, you've explained crap all about it, and we have no need to use it. Why use time and effort investigating it when we're fine without it?

Level 27
Why use time and effort investigating it when we're fine without it?
So that things can get even better.

But I would not qualify this as better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMail_Drive said:
is not supported by Google.
So say Google were to decide that they will no longer allow this, and ban everyone who was using it, and delete all the data?

Level 12
The thing is, we are not Wc3sear in any way, as our webmaster isn't a tool, we know how to script, and we're not like 8 GB's over our bandwidth/storage cap.

We OWN our own server, so yeah, we kinda know what we're doing.

Thats only because you don't have alot of people submitting to the site...

If you had more you might feel different about the situation....
This isn't a matter of skill... but a matter of storage space...

See? Now the bloody ellipses are just getting annoying. How's about you leave the damn period key alone?

But seriously. We don't know how to use the bloody thing, you've explained crap all about it, and we have no need to use it. Why use time and effort investigating it when we're fine without it?

I already investigated this son....
What is wrong with you?
THeres no reason to get up tight....And your getting pissed about the way I write....

What is wrong with the world these days....
I said this not because its a necessity... but because It is a possible solution to possible future problems....

I had to edit this thing just because I get the feeling your going to be a spellcheck nazi as well....

"Can't we all just get along?"
We don't live in the jungle any more... we don't need to eat eachother to survive.... we can actually.... be nice.....
Wow.... what a concept....

I... don't....get....it...what....does...it do? Some...thing...about...storing files...on...others computers? Or....Something?

Sets up A drive like your C:// or D:// only its called Gmail and is hooked up to the internet...

From there... I think it is hooked up to someones computer...
But Honestly... I never needed to hook it up so I never checked out whether it is stored online or locally...

I get the feeling its stored locally though just because it sometimes was slow as hell to transfer...

So that things can get even better.

But I would not qualify this as better:

So say Google were to decide that they will no longer allow this, and ban everyone who was using it, and delete all the data?

I don't know the deal with that....
I've used it before and it looks Google Official.... But the fact it is not supported by google kinda creeps me out....

I'm sure there are people that have made similar things but named it differently....
But This is the only one I've used.....

It was especially good because the things we were transfering were getting pretty big in size (500 mb) so.... yeah...

Level 25
I already investigated this son....

Then will you share your findings with the class?

What is wrong with you?
THeres no reason to get up tight....And your getting pissed about the way I write....

I get pissy with the way a lot of people write

Also, my title is "Eternal Grouch". If that doesn't cue you off that I am not a nice person, then I don't know what will

I said this not because its a necessity... but because It is a possible solution to possible future problems....

Exactly. Possible problems. You haven't posted really anything about it, as far as I can tell its just a glorified FTP hanging off the Gmail server, I don't see any ways to actually moderate the damn thing, I'm pretty sure using Gmail servers for massive downloads is against their terms of use anyway, it just overcomplicates our already simple system, and we will likely have no need to move to it. Sure, the server could get overfilled, but by that point, I doubt the Gmail thing will help at all

Oh, and did I mention the lack of moderation yet? We'd need to code up a system to interface with this random thing if they didn't have moderation on it, otherwise anyone could sneak in anything. And I doubt they have a comments system on there either

I had to edit this thing just because I get the feeling your going to be a spellcheck nazi as well....

Do you want me to bring up my title again?

"Can't we all just get along?"
We don't live in the jungle any more... we don't need to eat eachother to survive.... we can actually.... be nice.....
Wow.... what a concept....

I'm nice to people who deserve it. Your constant use of periods? Not only is it a horrible thing to use in writing, it just makes reading your writing getting a bit annoying

Level 36
Hi. Somewhere in his period-filled rant he made the comment that we don't get as much traffic as WC3sear. EXCUSE ME? We have everyone from Sear AND THEN SOME. We just have a monstrous server. What was the size of the server that Darky had?asn't it like 1 GB or some BS?

We have two 500 GB harddrives i'm pretty sure, and at the very least one. I'll have to check with Ralle. Regardless, we are not going to run out of space, and even if we were, Ralle would be well aware beforehand and we'd just add another drive to the server. It's as easy as that when it's sitting there running from your home.

Gilles: I refer to 'we' as in the Staff of the website, even though yes, it is actually physically owned by Ralle ;)

Level 12
Exactly. Possible problems. You haven't posted really anything about it, as far as I can tell its just a glorified FTP hanging off the Gmail server, I don't see any ways to actually moderate the damn thing, I'm pretty sure using Gmail servers for massive downloads is against their terms of use anyway, it just overcomplicates our already simple system, and we will likely have no need to move to it. Sure, the server could get overfilled, but by that point, I doubt the Gmail thing will help at all

Oh, and did I mention the lack of moderation yet? We'd need to code up a system to interface with this random thing if they didn't have moderation on it, otherwise anyone could sneak in anything. And I doubt they have a comments system on there either

eh.... Makes sense...

You would have to Moderate it... which sort of has something to do with what I was saying.... though its a much broader catagory
-You could have password Copy only Folders... If they even have that....
-Submissions would be open for people to paste in...
-Deletions would only be done by mods....

I'm not saying this is 100% the solution to every problem you have, What I am saying is what you heard...
Possibility....
I don't really care either way... This system is fine the way it is and I don't feel like My landmark on this website should be about changing the way people download... Thats just silly... anybody could have found this thing...

I'm just the one that already found it and decided to share

I really love using periods.... so.... I suppose we're at a standstill..... But then again....
You might ban me if I don't... Which would be kinda silly.... But kinda hilarious.... But Kinda Frustrating......

hm.... is there a middle ground we can decide upon?

Level 12
There is no middle ground. There is nothing wrong with our system, and you have presented zero evidence as to why we should use yours, or both.

So, we're sticking with ours, and that's that.

What a way to make my 7000th post >.>

I was taling about the middle ground about my periods............

Status
Not open for further replies.