• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Problems with an external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
My external hard drive (WD book. (Forgot what its called but it is WD) is divided into two parts. My nodding stuff and the other one is just for the randoms. Whenever I connect my external to any computer, it would only show one of the parts and the other one will be completely hidden and cannot be accessed. (usually, the two of them always shows up.) Also, the files within the hard drive has been protected or sumthing because whenever I try to move them, an error shows up (File is being used by a program) and when I CnP any file, it would usually result in a corrupted copy so I can't create a backup of some sort.

I have tried scanning it but it ended up with no threats found. I hope someone can hint me with whats happening with my hard drive. I really need my files so bad. (I don't wanna start my thesis all over again T.T)

Level 16
My external hard drive (WD book. (Forgot what its called but it is WD) is divided into two parts.

Do you mean your computer sees the one Hard drive as 2 different hard drives? If this is the case, there may be multiple patitions on the HDD. Sometimes partitions can be hidden. Once my 8GB USB claimed to have 2GB only. Turns out it had a hidden partition. To fix this, you need to manually partition your HDD.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

Repartitioning a HDD and formatting should clear any problems associated with it.

I have tried scanning it but it ended up with no threats found.

It might be worth scanning your computer too. Consider secondary scanning programs such as Malwarebytes or Microsoft Safety Scanner. Some scanners pick up what others don't.

I really need my files so bad. (I don't wanna start my thesis all over again T.T)

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to get your files back. Pherhaps there are some third party programs which can retrieve files off HDD's. I know some applications can recover files you have already deleted. Lots of stuff out there.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/279966-32-recover-data-broken-external-hard-drive

Some people in this forum link you to some Hard Drive Recovery programs. I'll leave the research to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.