• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could having a game in an external hard drive affect performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
No, it should not as it is purply a data store and has nothing to do with RAM and processor. However do not expect the drive to preform as well as internal ones due to transfer rate differences (USB being slower I belive) so I would advise not running any games or programs from it.

Level 17
No, it should not as it is purply a data store and has nothing to do with RAM and processor. However do not expect the drive to preform as well as internal ones due to transfer rate differences (USB being slower I belive) so I would advise not running any games or programs from it.

thanks.

Is it possible to recover files after it falls down and most of the files disappear (But oddly, the folders don't)?

Cause my friend is really down right now since all his memories were lost.

Level 12
i run oblivion of my external and it runs fine.. i also run lots of other games from it aswell eg warcraft 3, dungeon siege and they all run at great speeds and i dont have to reduce performance levels.

the only downside is that MY external needs a power point so there may be something there, i dont no.

And thats just my opinion

Level 15
USB2.0 runs around 480Mb per second (about 60MB per second), so it will provide reasonable performance. Granted, if you are running the drive natively through SATA, a good 7200RPM drive can burst up to higher speeds, but 60MB per second is sufficient for many uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.