• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to read files from laptop hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

So I've got a hard drive that's working from my laptop.

How do I read the files off it into another computer (e.g. my macbook).

I read I need a hard drive enclosure thing. But the one I get depends on the teeth of my hard drive. So how do I know which hard drive enclosure to buy? What information on my hard drive tells me this?

Here's the pictures of the hard drive.

30ws7f8.jpg

33tnh95.jpg

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
My dad did exactly that a year ago.. he transfered the files from a crashed hard drive.. however I don't know how he did it. I'll make sure to ask him tomarrow if you still have the problem. (it's 4 in the morning so I can't ask him right now xD)

edit: even though you how to do it, he can read that shit if needed.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You also need appropriate drivers to resolve the partition logic. MAC OS cannot out of the box resolve the most common Windows Partition formats (it does FAT but that scales badly and was last used outside portable applications by DOS). Like wise Windows cannot out of the box resolve MAC or Linux formatted partitions. Obviously they can with appropriate drivers but these may require payment or considerable computer know-how to install and use.

Level 15
Well what I ended up doing was simply purchasing a USB to SATA wire (2.5 inches or something). Worked perfectly for both OS X and Windows 7--both OS could read from the harddrives that were used in Windows 7 and OS X actually bypasses file permission features from Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.