• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Poll

Vote for the author of your favourite entry!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

poll.png

160036-albums4747-picture57879.jpg

Boss Fight
Contestants must create a map with a tough boss that must be killed in 'phase-by-phase' style one by another.

Welcome to the poll for Solo Mini-Mapper Contest #7! Please read through the rules before voting![/center]

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll. (remove this for a multiple choice poll)
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

judges.png
contest%20judging.png

Checking Field
ExplanationPoints

Originality:
Map must be original, a simple copy of another map might get less points for the gameplay and originality, but if the terrain and everything are fine, then you would still have some points. We want to see unique things and cool ideas.You can score up to 15 points here.

Map Presentation/Design:
Author name, map name, category, type, description, links ingame on loading screen, messages ingame are very important.
How good the map preview or the loading screen image are, check tooltips, quest menu, icons all around (hero/unit stats, interface, tooltips etc).
Same colored icons and spell effects as well as models (like green for poison hero) are better than random ones.
Passive icons on active ones or vice versa are bad.
Check UI and game constants as well.
You can score up to 10 points here.

Terrain:
Please take care, some maps use a generated terrain (created with triggers), thus the preview image may show an empty map.
Negative things are empty, plain, single-tile terrains, without environmental doodads or any kind of terrain style.
Good things are special effect doodads (to make the terrain a little animated), lighting, fog, terrain styles or custom resources.
You can score up to 25 points here.

Triggers/Efficiency/Performance:
Bugs, errors and performance issues will reduce your score. (Everything created with triggers is usually the case) However if there are just small bugs/errors, then you probably won't get a lower score.
Memory leaks are the main problem, systems and spells should be more or less lag-free/errorless.
Even protected maps can show how good the user's triggering skills are, for example check if there are any performance issues when units are spawned.

Object Data:
Units' size ingame, selection size, how good creeps look like. (small skeleton with sword, normal with bow and another one with axe is better than ogre, gnoll and murloc -> Creeps should not be completely random and very different from each other).
In other words check how good abilities and stats fit to units.
Maps with a huge file size are horrible, no one will wait 2 minutes long to download a map on battle.net. (unless single player)
That's why we need to check imported resources.
MP3 files can be edited, the quality can be reduced and thus a lot of space can be saved, simple effect sounds without voice can be reduced even to 32 kbps in some cases, for voices don't go below 50.
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.
Same thing goes for textures, if you can reduce the quality from 100-75% and thus the size will go down from 40-70% in some cases.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is the main aspect of the map. Game modes, game difficulties, special events, systems(not how well they are made, but if they make the map more fun) etc.
Everything else that is left unchecked can go here. Please check how balanced the gameplay is, check how long the game lasts, if the map can be finished without any major problems.
You can score up to 30 points here.
disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (hopefully) over PMs. <3​

Last edited:
Dude I have told to I am windraw from this contest. I have finishwd map but have problemms with internet conection. In this map I only have hero with one spell, terrain and few mobs. Without cinematic, boss, his, phases, music, other hero spells, hero icons, much other mobs, bigger terrain, custom UI etc. I have finished all this things but cannot upload my map, so if u can remove me from this contest

Level 21
So many entries... so much map testing. Looks like the judges definitely have their work cut out for them, but that just goes to show how great the theme was :pcon:

Wait, the poll closes in one day? I think a mod should extend it to a week.

Ahahaha finally! :p somebody should make this appear as notice to all users so we have more votes!

Totally agreed.

To MaTiJa97:

• You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
And here we go once again. Read rules before voting and besides this should be pretty clear.

So he's out now or what?

Sorry. I know I can't vote for myself, but I did it while I was on my phone. I have... well, a wooden phone. Kinda. It's a very old Sonny Ericsson k810i,and it lags and bugs so much that I don't really know what am I doing.

So, please do not kick me out, but I see no reason why I can't just be - voted

Level 21
Whoa, what's up with all the Diablo in this contest? Diablo 3's influence must be infectious. I'll throw my vote in before the poll closes in case we're stuck with it that way for a while. Only 30 minutes left until it closes (for now).

White text on a white screen? You definitely needed a custom loading screen. Very nice custom imports (especially the hero voice sets). Force Boons should stack. Reinforcements often got in the way of my movement. Skills work nicely and are very useful. Bosses are incredibly hard (should have included multiple difficulties). Environment definitely does remind me of Star Wars with all the futuristic-looking doodads. Camera got stuck locked on the room where the three colored droids are activated after the machine blew up. Overall good map, but it seems to have needed a lot more time for improvement and bug fixes.

Like I mentioned before, very awesome use of the basic Warcraft 3 combat system. Great array of skills, but they could have been much more customized and unique. Some messages were shown twice (like 'Fire Necromancer: You will all drown in lakes of blood.') No credits listed in the quest menu. Battlepriests could have had a small amount of range (200-300) to stay out of the way of summons/hero. Boss fight should lock the player in the boss room, because I was able to lure the boss back to the shop area and even the beginning of the map where I had no other interferences. Recipe items should only allow one of a kind, because having more made the hero too overpowered. Boss attacks were great, volcanic environment is good eye candy, and the map overall is one of my top favorites for this contest.

This started off as my favorite entry for the contest, so I wish you would have been inspired to work on it more before the deadline extension. Great battle music, wide variety of skills and items (although both needed a lot of customization.) The different phases are awesome, and difficulties definitely show a difference in skill required. This really reminds me of your campaign (gee, I wonder why :prazz:). Terrain looks very flat and empty with the default camera view in the pathway areas. I guess it's better that way for things like Xvareon's blast skill, but it could have included more details (like walkable plants for example). Also, the alternate dimension could have had visual effects to make it look sparkly or eerie instead of just plain blackness. Dude, that's a lot of cameras... Anyway, nice boss fight.

Someone deserves a slap for voting for himself! Your map was awesome and had a good chance of making it into the top 3. I don't know how that's going to be handled, so I'll leave it at your map possibly being my second or third favorite from this contest.

A blank map preview and no info on the loading screen? Well, nice gameplay concept, and it's pretty intense fighting the water elemental. Custom battle music would have made it feel more intense. A little cinematic explanation of the gameplay/controls or a preparation area to test things out would have been nice before throwing the player right into it. 10 seconds was too long to cast disable since it takes time just to go to the crystals after killing the elemental. It's great how the elemental gains new skills with each destroyed crystal. WAY too many point leaks. I tried to help you with that by giving you the link last time I reviewed your map :pmeh: At least it didn't cause any noticeable lag.

Another great concept map, and the execution was about as good as Warcraft can do for this type of gameplay. But... movement got stuck very often and wasn't fluent enough for me to avoid many of the projectiles. I had to turn down my graphics to tone down the lag from all the projectiles, but that didn't help much against the lightning balls. Selection still had that annoying timer and didn't start instantly after choosing. The boss was SO damn hard. Normally hard is a good thing, but alternate difficulties would have been nice to make it humanly possible to survive. It's great how you made the player invulnerable for a short while after respawning. Ballistic missile was annoying to have to keep targeting with, so you could have just made the cooldown longer and have it shoot out directly without targeting. So overall, a great map and concept in need of some easy major fixes (mainly lower particle count projectiles and a less sticky movement system).

A very well graphically polished map, and there are so many skill options giving it epic replayability. The boss and use of sounds/music is great as well. Runes are fun to test the effects of different skills, but I found "Fanatism" to be highly overpowered with the combination of lifesteal + stuns. I'm pretty sure you mean Fanaticism, and there were some other spelling and grammatical errors. I didn't like the use of Blizzard cliffs or how we could see their blockiness and outside the boss area. Triggers run very well, but your sounds and music are unformatted and uncompressed. There could have been items other than just health globes. The quest log is kind of lacking, although you did include credits. This is a great map overall and is my favorite from this contest. Thumbs up for an epic loading screen :goblin_good_job:

Uhhh, not quite what I was expecting from you. I know you started very late and didn't finish, but I couldn't even figure out the point of the skill system as it is now. Terrain was very basic, and the boss fight wasn't really much of a boss fight. I hope you have more time and put more effort into the 8th mapping contest, because I really liked your push idea from a previous contest.

Many spelling errors and a few grammar issues. Odd but somewhat funny intro :plol: I'm glad you made it skippable for replaying the map. The gameplay seems fun, but I feel like I'm even too fragile for hit and run when I can die in a few hits after making the slightest mistake and "Capt" lasting such a short time. Blink allowed me to leave the starting area without the actual game starting. Not really a difference between victory and defeat other than the words themselves. The fast-paced combat was a great idea, and I hope you expand on it more in the future. It could have been handled better for this map, though. Maybe alternate difficulties could have been included to allow for some margin of error in lower difficulties. The music sounded great and was compressed, but it wasn't shortened/formatted to loop or save on file size from its long length. Terrain is decent, but it made it hard to see what was going on a lot of the time.

Why is Wizard spelled with two Zs? The terrain is nice even though it uses Blizzard cliffs, but the fire in the lava is a bit blinding and overwhelming. Resources weren't labelled properly or described. The mana potion had the same icon as the health potion, and both had 1 charge and no description saying they could be reused (although it is obvious after using them). They should have had different cooldowns as well. Skills were great for each class, and I loved knocking enemies off cliffs. I got another set of potions which I couldn't do anything with right after the boss fight started. Boss phases were great, and I loved the fact that the combat was hard, but not overwhelmingly so. There were a few spelling errors (such as Wizzard and 'approaches' in the ending). Overall this was a great boss fight, but you forgot to remove temp points which caused many point leaks.

Another boss fight where we're just thrown in without any preparation. Wide variety of skills, but they're all basic Warcraft skills. I liked how they were all color-coordinated for each hero, making it easier to notice which hero was currently selected. With all the skills in the heroes' arsenal, there weren't enough damaging skills. The boss moves around and has multiple cool attacks, but I could just move the heroes the side of the terrain and not be damaged at all after he ran out of MP (which happened quicker with the Jaina hero and her feedback attacks). It was more intense in the beginning than the rest of the fight, but I did enjoy the combat. Quest menu wasn't used for anything, and no credits at all with all the resources used? I can tell your heart wasn't in this map, because I've seen how great your other maps can be.

Very descriptive quest log. Fun skills, although lighthopping can bring the hero into bad pathing areas (inside plant/rock areas). It was also kind of annoying if a thrown hammer missed an enemy and flew into lava. Speaking of lava, the whole center of the map had bland terrain. Like I mentioned before, I love the little events with Obelisks and the Sand Mill even if they're not really necessary for the battle. One of the times I died, the boss went to the respawn location. I was able to kill it so easily there without taking much damage at all. But otherwise, the boss was quite difficult and fun to deal with inside the lava area.

I like the idea of having to destroy the crystals to get to the boss, but it's funny how the boss damages them himself with flamestrike. No quest log with any information about the map. It's much easier to control 4 heroes than the 6 you originally had, especially when the rogue mostly just has passive skills. More customized skills would have been nice for all heroes, because all of them were only basic skills or minor edits from basic skills. The music is fitting and formatted. A little too much flamestrike spam :plol:

Ahhh, the loading screen burns my eyes! Not much terrain work to speak of, but I guess it's easier that way to deal with all of the boss' skills. Hero skills seem useful and keep the fight fast-paced. I love Diablo's attacks. It's freakishly hard for single player in any mode, so there should be handicaps for having less players in the game. Odd UI imports ranging from a Firefox game menu to futuristic beep clicks. Seems like all players would get the same hero. That's understandable for starting late in a contest that only lasts a month, but it would add a lot more variety and replayability to have different heroes for each player. It's kind of hard for me to review its full potential since it's intended for multiplayer.

Hmm, not too much of a change from the last version I played. I can't exactly test the full potential of this map either, since I can't play it multiplayer. A lot of it still feels unbalanced for a strictly boss fight theme. Like I mentioned before, the murloc area is a nice addition, but I have to say it does feel like it was rushed to be added in and is practically required to be able to kill the boss. It feels more like a full-blown RPG than a boss fight. It's still a fun map, but I think it should have dwelled less in leveling and more in the actual boss fight.

My vote goes to BeTaGod-'s 'The Arachnid Lair' for a well-rounded, replayable map and an amazing amount of work done with the skill system. It also has a lot of nice eye/ear candy to make the fight more interesting.

Last edited:
Level 14
@Tickles I already wrote that my map offers 3 bosses. That's why the camera gets stuck after the third one. I was considering making the boons stack but that would make it too easy.

p.s. I really can't see how my bosses are hard, they were so basic yet still I get reviews of them being too hard xX Quest log contained explination for every boss.

sorry for the light text. all the time I did the map on a not very well lit room so I never noticed the loading screen text might be hard to see.
Thanks for the comment.

Uhhhhh, yeeeeah why is my WiP on there? There wasn't a WiP before it, and there are no screenshots, so there is absolutely no way that qualifies as a submission. (doesn't even meet the basic criteria ...)

Well this was a fun contest but I joined too late to finish my idea (or even make much headway on it). Anyways please pull out my "entry".

Level 14
I find it strange that people complete boss fights with custom flashy effect-overdosed spells easier but complain about mine when I used entirely edited ingame spells that are even easily recognized.

@Matija97 thank you for your comment. I tend to make heroes synergize with each other by that spell choice. As I am keeping a steady look at combat I find it hard to imagine in my case jedies using fireballs or conjuring blizzards, so yes they mainly use their sabers. ^^

Level 21
One thing off the top of my head from Star Wars that would have made combat more fun is a projectile system. Jedis could go into a defensive stance and have a chance (based on the skill level) at reflecting projectiles back at bosses while being immobile. Or you could even have simple force knockback skills that temporarily disable the boss while pushing them backward (or pushing heavy objects toward the boss to damage it).

The skills you used worked fine and were useful, but they didn't contribute to the whole master jedi feel you get when you watch epic lightsaber fights. If you're planning on continuing the map after the contest, it would be awesome if you added custom skill systems.

Level 14
One thing off the top of my head from Star Wars that would have made combat more fun is a projectile system. Jedis could go into a defensive stance and have a chance (based on the skill level) at reflecting projectiles back at bosses while being immobile. Or you could even have simple force knockback skills that temporarily disable the boss while pushing them backward (or pushing heavy objects toward the boss to damage it).

The skills you used worked fine and were useful, but they didn't contribute to the whole master jedi feel you get when you watch epic lightsaber fights. If you're planning on continuing the map after the contest, it would be awesome if you added custom skill systems.

Well thats the problem. I work with the limits of the understanding I have about the WE. I definetly can't do systems and had a hard time even importing the jump system by Paladon. I have many ideas about pushing,pulling and reflecting but don't have the triggering skills to achieve.

Vengeancekael that was really rude of you to do... The first boss was just interlude and was mostly solo play even by the troops :( Go back there! :D

p.p. I was considering remaking it into a campaign. After all no flashy mambo jambo spells are needed in them as the blizzard's ones show

Status
Not open for further replies.