• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mini-Mapping Contest #7 - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Some more WIP's from today
Laboratory zone
WC3ScrnShot_052112_111312_01.jpg
PK-37 Destroyer Droid boss zone
WC3ScrnShot_052112_111337_02.jpg
Crystal Processing area
WC3ScrnShot_052112_111353_03.jpg
Medical bay
WC3ScrnShot_052112_111410_04.jpg

Each zone comes with a boss or a miniboss. I plan on a total of 2 main and 3 mini bosses.

Level 14
Looks good. U are working fast. Btw one question: where I can find many models, I know here and wcunderground but can u give me something other links

I only use models from hive. (once I used some from the russian equivalent but since their website interface is dreadfully messy now I do it no more)

My suggestion: Experiment and use what you have. My map contains 10 building models that i smash and resize and combine to get new ones.

Last edited:
Level 14
Ok I hit the reality check button and it seems I won't be able to finish the whole damn map in time for the deadline, but since the contest is a 'boss fight' and my 1st boss is ready I might as well finish it in future weeks.

here is my final WIP before I upload the contest entry finished map (in this one there are no credits and some cosmetics to make it ready)
View attachment star wars test entry.w3x

Please do test and comment on bugs if you happen to find any.

Level 9
Now, this is going to be my FINAL submission, unless somebody reported a bug, :p...
attachment.php

I like it a lot but there are a few things that messed up my enjoyment.

Why would I wait after choosing my character when theres nobody else playing? and its like 40 seconds!!!! Also the boss fight was a little bit tough not because of the gameplay but because it caused my friend a shit ton of lg, u really pushed it with all those lighting stuff, it was pretty tough to dodge and also we had waaay too many lives, anybody could just go kamikaze agaisnt the boss and still kill it because we have 30 lives

Good map tho i really liked the idea and how it came out.

Level 29
@Lordkoon
well noted, forgot to add the invulnerability for 5 seconds after hero dies...

@DSanhueza
- it's 60 seconds so that the user can pick the ship well...
- maybe the lightnings is too much, but it doesnt lag if you have a high performance computer...
- it has 30 life coz it's too hard for me to defeat the boss :)...

thanks guys, Ima update this since there is still time...

Level 21
Wow, it's hard to keep up with who's still in the competition with everyone leaving it all at once. Anyway, I've been slaving away at Aegaeus and posted up a new version here:

Aegaeus Alpha v2

I added a mini-boss and a couple of the boss' skills. The boss is really easy right now because of its lack of skills, but the other four are my priority now (aside from balancing).

Deadlines and If/Then/Else statements give Tickles headaches :ogre_frown:

Level 14
What? No. You extend deadlines for homework and projects, not for contests.

And if you like to get more than 3 results of individual map projects, you wait more. It would be silly for a 3-winners ladders to be played with 4-5 people just because time (an infinite resourse in the current situation) is not enough.
I think a couple of days more wouldn't hurt.

Level 21
If you don't have time for contests.. why bother entering them? We were surely given more then enough time.

If I can make a entry within three days, I am sure you can finish it off by then.

Anyone can make a simple map within a few days, but it takes a whole lot longer than that to balance, spice up and polish them, especially with either work or school in the way.

Considering this contest only originally lasted for 21 days, I would also appreciate an extra week for the deadline.

I like your events, water skills and having a "home base" to go back to for healing after doing some creeping to level. What I didn't like about the murloc event was how freakishly overpowered it can make you. The map is hard without it, but too easy with it. I guess it just needs some balancing. Critical Strike and Defend could be replaced with custom and more unique skills (like the water ones).
I love the idea of this kind of game in Warcraft, and you did it well. I agree with DSanhueza about having too much time to wait after choosing a ship. It would be better for the player to be able to start the game whenever they're ready to start with some kind of button or hotkey. Also, maybe you could edit the lightning model to reduce the number of particles to cut down on any chance of lag caused by them.
Nice unique concept. I like the fast-paced gameplay that makes you have to think quickly. Are you going to use more space in your map, or is all of that blackened area above and below the starting area going to be removed? I checked out your triggers, and they appear to leak like crazy.

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=27219
Cool skills and attack system. The boss is a nasty force to be reckoned with. The only problem I had with your combat system was that I had a hard time targeting attacks/divine shield. It could be that I'm just not used to your combat system, but the combination of Warcraft default movement with directional skills isn't usually the most efficient combat method. I loved the little events used to get to the boss, though. Overall, it's a good boss fight.
Cool systems, and I love the customization. I just don't exactly understand the point of facial hair in a boss fight :xxd: "I'm facing a giant bloodthirsty creature today, so I need to make sure my beard looks perfect!" Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what your terrain and actual gameplay will be like, especially since you said it's going to be AWESOME :thumbs_up:
I can see this becoming such an awesome map. In terms of a boss fight with all focus on the first boss, it's not that great. But everything from the terrain, the sound effects (combat sounds/character voices), NPC events, and overall combat effects, gives this massive potential. You might also want to fix your trigger leaks before the deadline.
That's a lot of crazy fast-paced action. I like the concept and gameplay, it just doesn't seem structured. If the copters were spawned at something specific (like a building) or came from some unseen area of the map, then it might make more sense. Better terrain would also make it more interesting to play. Anyway, the copter deaths are cool. I think you should fixed your point leaks even if they're not recycled just so your map is more nicely-polished.
Why do you have to go and be so awesome? Although you're lacking custom items, the current variety makes for a lot of different strategies. The boss fight is very intense, and the music really helps pump adrenaline. The characters have a great combination of skills to help each other out. It does get a little hectic having to control three heroes in such an intense fight, but I suppose it just takes some getting used to with micromanagement. I would like to see more of the combat area at a time, because I sometimes get lost and confused about what's going on or where the boss disappeared to.

If you don't have time for contests.. why bother entering them? We were surely given more then enough time.

If I can make a entry within three days, I am sure you can finish it off by then.

Ever heard of real life? In these last two weeks, I played 4 gigs, had to read the entire Great Expectations for an independant novel project, went to my schools musical, had to do a lot of overtime in the ceramic studio to finish my project on time, met up with my team to work on a project, went to the doctor about an injury + got immies, went on 3 dates, and I've been trying to cram in some study time for finals.

Believe it or not but most people are not only multifaceted, but also have committments to real, tangible things. Seriously, not everyone just sits in their mothers basement waiting for contests for a deprecated game to pop-up. The reason I only posted once before saying I might do it was because I knew I couldn't fully commit in that timezone. Another week would probably enhance the products and also allow for more entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.