• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #5 - Winter Wonderland [Playable]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
hive468.gif

The Hiveworkshop's Terraining Contest

Winter Wonderland

Each contestant must create one entirely playable winter terrain.

Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. No team work is allowed.
  3. Map may be based on UTM, but does not have to be. Any additional imports must be cleared by the host.
  4. No additional importing is allowed into already existing and most up-to-date UTM map.
  5. No contestant may use his/her old works, submission must be made exclusively for this contest.
  6. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread for judging. Judging will be conducted in 'WC3: The Frozen Throne' itself, not the World Editor.
  7. World Editor Unlimited and NewGen World Editor are both permitted, but all other programs must be cleared by the contest host.
  8. Maps must be fully playable.
  9. Player Controlled units are permitted, but hostile units are not.
  10. Triggers may be used, but will not be judged.

Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 30 reputation points and icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Contest Judging And Voting
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).

• 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Judging
    Overall Appearance - How appealing your terrain is
    Theme - How relevant your terrain is to the theme
    Creativity - How creative you are with doodads and your overall terrain
    Technical - How well you used everything; tile variation, doodad placement, atmosphere, playability, ect.

Additional Imports:
Elk Male

Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted 4 weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on the 15th of December 2008 and conclude on the 5th of January 2009 0:00 AM, GMT (Or whenever Gilles gets to his computer on the 5th)​

Last edited:
Level 5
So just create a wonderful winter map.
just for show? no units just player controlled to run around finding the map amusing? no other units than R-E-D?, and one thing more, the size of the map? the UTM size or i can modify to w/e size i want?

I'm in anyhow just want that clear. :wgrin:

The next person signin' in for this contest that knows the answere, you can answere while signin' in. :wthumbsup:

Level 34
I don't understand the contest. Do you mean a melee map?
No. Just make a fully playable terrain in the editor.

So just create a wonderful winter map.
just for show? no units just player controlled to run around finding the map amusing? no other units than R-E-D?, and one thing more, the size of the map? the UTM size or i can modify to w/e size i want?

I'm in anyhow just want that clear. :wgrin:

The next person signin' in for this contest that knows the answere, you can answere while signin' in. :wthumbsup:
As stated in the rules, units are allowed (both player controlled, and non-player controlled), but there cannot be hostile units. I'm allowing non-player controlled units in case people want to include animals and whatnot.

For size, I'm leaving it open, but I really don't want to judge a huge map. You won't get any bonus points for size. I suggest a 96x96.

Level 5
As stated in the rules, units are allowed (both player controlled, and non-player controlled), but there cannot be hostile units. I'm allowing non-player controlled units in case people want to include animals and whatnot.

For size, I'm leaving it open, but I really don't want to judge a huge map. You won't get any bonus points for size. I suggest a 96x96.

Oh okey, now everything is very clear for me!
Thanks for that suggestion :wwink: .

I'll be hoping to see more contestants as time passes, to all future and on working contestants, good luck and have fun! :spell_breaker:

Level 14
I'm in but err... all doodads in UTM are all walkable... which means that I have to turn the walk thing off on every single doodad that I'm using?

Level 34
No camera restrictions? So basically you could let your character walk through preset camera angels?
Lord knows what you mean with "entirely playable"...
Exactly. I thought people might want camera angles, or perhaps set paths for wildlife, so I allowed triggers.

"Entirely" might be a bit redundant I suppose. Just make a playable terrain. I'd think 2-P knows what that means. :p

I'm in but err... all doodads in UTM are all walkable... which means that I have to turn the walk thing off on every single doodad that I'm using?
Or use pathing blockers, but yeah, basically.

Also you could just import the models you want from the UTM map. As long as they are from UTM, that would be fine.

Level 17
I join, but I wont use UTM, since most playable maps besides RPG's wont use the UTM in the first place.
It makes no sense because it's size is just way to big even if you are going to delete over 99% of the custom models.

I say that if a person does not use imports (so basicly UTM) he gets bonus points for being original with what blizzard provides us.
After all, people that make real maps, wont focus on custom models all that much.
It's a size sucker. Something maps wont afford, having a 4mb size map is just to big. :p

So there is my statement, even though nobody will listen and care.. xD I still think using UTM is a bad idea for playable maps. At the very least, not using it should be considered a good thing and be awarded. xD

Level 5
I join, but I wont use UTM, since most playable maps besides RPG's wont use the UTM in the first place.
It makes no sense because it's size is just way to big even if you are going to delete over 99% of the custom models.

I say that if a person does not use imports (so basicly UTM) he gets bonus points for being original with what blizzard provides us.
After all, people that make real maps, wont focus on custom models all that much.
It's a size sucker. Something maps wont afford, having a 4mb size map is just to big. :p

So there is my statement, even though nobody will listen and care.. xD I still think using UTM is a bad idea for playable maps. At the very least, not using it should be considered a good thing and be awarded. xD

No offence to you Airandius im mearly speaking my opinion on what you just said, to me all that was pure bull.
C'mon there is pretty much extreme with imports at this map and it's way small for so much potential and creativity here.

Blizzard originality? I think blizzard would rather love this with the "UTM", speaking of making players go over their lenght's to create beutiful things :ugly: .

Why get extra points for a rather but ugly map compared to what you can do with this, think outside the box dude, or just crush the box!

Blizzard arn't even active in the wc3 area, they are swampt with SC2, D3, WoW. If they had WC3 alone maybe the editors resources would be twice doubled, because of updates of the game.

We all knows blizzard loves fan's doing their own originality, own ideas, adding w/e to make the game more fun, i believe if all maps was based of UTM, we would have many badass looking maps today.

Aye, w/e haha, Im just saying :zip:
Happy Winter! :wsmile:

Level 10
Just don't use UTM as the actual map, import the models in as Gilles said.
I see no problem with it. If you're (and I'm not pointing at you directly Void, just generally) better than the rest you'll make the guy who used import's terrain look like shit, using only normal blizzard doodads.

Level 34
But you aren't making an rpg, so it doesn't matter.

These aren't real maps, so again it does not matter. And I will not give out bonus points for not using only Blizzard models.

Dude. Using the UTM for playable terrain is retarded. That's like saying, well it's playable, but you can't host it on bnet because it's omgwtf 5 mb? D'urrrhrhh
First off the UTM isn't 5mb last time I checked, and second... read what I said above.

I can't please everyone. You'll just have to deal with it.

Level 5
But you aren't making an rpg, so it doesn't matter.

These aren't real maps, so again it does not matter. And I will not give out bonus points for not using only Blizzard models.

First off the UTM isn't 5mb last time I checked, and second... read what I said above.

I can't please everyone. You'll just have to deal with it.

Last I checked wasn't it 1mb? :pal:

Level 8
omfg. K i said i was in but im out again. It seem that my parents have planed a 3 week trip... Meaning that i wont be able to work on anything omfg wel maybe next time... :hohum::cry:

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Dude. Using the UTM for playable terrain is retarded. That's like saying, well it's playable, but you can't host it on bnet because it's omgwtf 5 mb? D'urrrhrhh
1.I doubt that many will actually make a playable map out of the terrain for this contest, so who cares?
2.How many of the models from the UTM do you actually use for a single terrain? Not more than 5%, so you can always delete the rest if you feel like. No one will have more than half a mb of custom models at the end.
3.Single player, ever heard of it?

Nonsense.

-Warcraft 3 battle field view?! (REALLY want to be shure)
No, Gilles said you can screw around with the camera as much as you want. :p

Level 17
1.I doubt that many will actually make a playable map out of the terrain for this contest, so who cares?
2.How many of the models from the UTM do you actually use for a single terrain? Not more than 5%, so you can always delete the rest if you feel like. No one will have more than half a mb of custom models at the end.

1) Imports are only needed if there is no other way, this is not the case.
2) Even though what you say about maps being made about these terrains is true, these maps should be made if it would be used.
3) Imports will be used by more unexperienced terrainers, giving them an unfair advantage at the poll, many people will just go and pick the ones with flashy models because they look better then blizzard models.

I rest my case, even though the contest has already be made. And will not be changed because of the opinion of just a few.
As far as I know it's only me and Void who think imports are ewl.

I still think it was a very bad mistake to allow the UTM.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
1) Imports are only needed if there is no other way, this is not the case.
2) Even though what you say about maps being made about these terrains is true, these maps should be made if it would be used.
3) Imports will be used by more unexperienced terrainers, giving them an unfair advantage at the poll, many people will just go and pick the ones with flashy models because they look better then blizzard models.
1)That's kinda like saying 95% of all custom models are useless... They're used to make things look better, to make the terrain as pretty as possible.
2)You can still "use" the terrain if you create it with the UTM.
3)No, it's not unfair if everyone has the same possibilities. If you choose to restirct yourself to Blizzard models, then you have no right to complain about the consequences.

Level 34
Limits make it more hard. :p
Hard = Fun.

Honestly if you guys have a choice at selecting difficulty, will you pick easy because there is a 100% chance u can win, or pick hard because u have to do something to win?

I'd go for hard. ^^
So it's easy, and you're going to win eh?

Level 17
So it's easy, and you're going to win eh?

I was talking about the contest being easy, because many people can just use UTM and get allot of votes because it looks 'good'.
And I'm not going to use the UTM to make it hard on me, so at least it's a challenge. xD

Idc bout winning, I just want to keep that little piece of honor I have.

EDIT: Lol... honor in wc3? Impossible xD

Level 36

Yeah, but imports just suck for playable terrain, end of story. And single player maps are boring as fuck, even the good ones.

Level 5
Limits make it more hard. :p
Hard = Fun.

Honestly if you guys have a choice at selecting difficulty, will you pick easy because there is a 100% chance u can win, or pick hard because u have to do something to win?

I'd go for hard. ^^

You have probably?, maybe? done the war editor for a long time and love the terraining as for other things.
You love doing that really good looking "blizzard" like map filled with stuff you know you got to be pro.

Now that is hard, UTM = easy.

What if, a good editor like yourself took as much time at what you can do with the blizzard models at not only the original models but the UTM and other imports aswell, wouldn't that make you "super pro"?

Would not that make what you THEN do with all that and all that experince very hard compared to a not only low experienced terrainer with blizzard originality but with the UTM aswell?.

I'm just saying, think of your possibilities of becoming the greatest craziest terrainer ever :con:
as for that, new things come around all the time making everything harder/easier all the time.

Level 17
You have probably?, maybe? done the war editor for a long time and love the terraining as for other things.
You love doing that really good looking "blizzard" like map filled with stuff you know you got to be pro.

Now that is hard, UTM = easy.

What if, a good editor like yourself took as much time at what you can do with the blizzard models at not only the original models but the UTM and other imports aswell, wouldn't that make you "super pro"?

Would not that make what you THEN do with all that and all that experince very hard compared to a not only low experienced terrainer with blizzard originality but with the UTM aswell?.

I'm just saying, think of your possibilities of becoming the greatest craziest terrainer ever :con:
as for that, new things come around all the time making everything harder/easier all the time.

Lol, Idc bout wc3 enough to even care about being pro. xD
Maybe 2 years ago I cared, but not anymore. xD

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Yeah, but imports just suck for playable terrain, end of story. And single player maps are boring as fuck, even the good ones.
"But it sucks!" ... Good reasoning. =P

It's ok if you say that you don't like it. But bashing the contest just because it doesn't hit your taste isn't very fair, nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.