• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #26 - STEAMPUNK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

the%20hive%20workshop.png

___contest_type__.png
contest.png
number.png
___number_of_the_contest___.png
2.png
6.png

r169_457x256_14397_Monaco_2012_2d_illustration_city_steampunk_car_race_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

STEAMPUNK - MODELING CONTEST #26
Victorian era machinery, steam powered, utilized in the ascension of man. How will this be like? Will it be robotics? Will it be a vehicle? Will it be a robotic vehicle? maybe an individual that has become 'something more' through the use of steampunk gadgets, machinery implants and what not.. will it be something like Kroenen? long-dead body with a clockwork heart, or would it be a giant steampunk cyborg? or something else? Is it perhaps a backpack of beautiful machinery that enables one to amass the powers of the void or do you have another unique idea you find interesting? Experiment, have fun and present your own unique interpretation.

Ladies and Gentlemen. We've held a poll, and you people have spoken. With steampunk as a clear winner, that is why this contest is now hosted for you all. For others who voted something else and might be feeling a little down, not to worry. Nothing states you can't create steampunk version of your original idea. So please, everyone, participate in this contest. Make sure we got a lot of lovely entries. ;D

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
    • When the model is complete, the model must be attached to a post with the title "Final", so it is easy to Search for, indicating Finality.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Attack
    • Walk
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
  • You may only officially submit one model per participant. Multiple WIPs are allowed however,
    but you must clearly specify that you discard your previous model when starting a new one.
  • No matter how many models you make, only one will ultimately be judged.

prizes.png

• First Place: 60 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 40 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon

Entries unable to reach the top 3 will be regarded as honorable mentions and
will be rewarded with 5 reputation for participating in the contest.

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wire-frame that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc? Clean, distinctive meshes graded highly; deformed or incomplete meshes graded poorly.10 Points

ANIMATIONS
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy; organic or puppet-like? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh? Smooth, life-like anims graded highly; choppy or lifeless anims graded poorly.10 Points

TEXTURE/UV WRAP
The skin, or texture of a model, expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if In-Game textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched? Clean, effective textures graded highly; cluttered or haphazard textures graded poorly.10 Points

MECHANICS
50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Mechanically). Does this model work in-game in all mechanical respects? Placed next to other War3 heroes, does it fit? I.e. is it visible when imported, is the texture path-name hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in KBs), do all the animations play properly in-game, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, does it have footsteps, death sounds, portrait model/camera, life-bar in the right place, and so on. Proper mechanics graded highly; incomplete or messed-up mechanics graded poorly.10 Points

EFFECTS
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris). Meaningful, aesthetic effects graded highly; tasteless or un-fitting effects graded poorly.5 Points

CREATIVITY
The other 50% of the "Does it fit in Wc3" criteria (Aesthetically), and the most Subjective of criteria for Judges. Overall, the essence of your model: Is this a creative idea? Is it unique, innovative, or clever? Or, perhaps if it has been done before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him? Thoughtful and creative innovation graded highly; insufficient OR over-done & unfitting creativity graded poorly.10 Points
  • 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the 12th of May, at 09:00 and conclude on the 6th of June, at 23:59
    The contest has been extended by two weeks. The new ending of the contest is on the 20th of June, at 23:59, GMT +1
When the contest has officially ended, the judges shall then be given a week to pass the judgments, if complications arise, the judge may be subject to replacement.

When all the judges has sent in their judgement, a poll will be opened. These votes will be accounted for, the poll will be public to avoid any possibility of cheating.
A neutral party will then be appointed to do the math required to get a result. Which will be posted as soon as that is done. A week or two, basically.

If it takes longer; the neutral party will be subjected to continuous pestering from his peers.

Finished entries;

Freddyk http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2531732-post146.html
Pvt.Toma http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2534069-post160.html
Grendel http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2534818-post174.html
Blood Raven http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2539072-post198.html
icewolf055 http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2540281-post200.html
MiniMage http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2543604-post212.html
HappyCockroach http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2544150-post234.html

Last edited:
Level 26
The starting date was tomorrow tho. It's not like a day here and there matters much though. ;O
The rule is basically to ensure that the model is made specifically for the contest. But whatever.

I'll let this one slide for now. Please stop the progress on it until tomorrow tho.
Just for the sake of following the rules I spent a good ten minutes setting up.

Level 26
Hmm, that theme sure is interesting. I'm gonna go for the attachment category. Currently wondering between a cogwheel ballista crossbow and a steampunk cogwheel warhammer. Steam all the way :p
PS still haven't decided if i will join.

Well, there's a requirement for animation, so I doubt there's a possibility of attachments being a possibility. You could always have a unit wielding those things tho.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Aw man, stuff's about to get REAL up in here...

I love these contests. Also I'm very gratified, MiniMage, that you chose to re-use my Judging Criteria (text-and-all) for this contest. :p I worked hard to make it clear & expressive. : )

I had to laugh a little bit at the last bit:
MiniMage said:
When the contest has offically ended, the judges shall then be given a week to pass the judgments, if complications arise, the judge may be subject to replacement.

When all the judges has sent in their judgement, a poll will be opened. These votes will be accounted for, the poll will be public to avoid any possibility of cheating.
A neutral party will then be appointed to do the math required to get a result. Which will be posted as soon as that is done. A week or two, basically.

If it takes longer; the neutral party will be subjected to continuous pestering from his peers.
Judging prior to Polling? UNHEARD OF! :O

Level 26
Aw man, stuff's about to get REAL up in here...

I love these contests. Also I'm very gratified, MiniMage, that you chose to re-use my Judging Criteria (text-and-all) for this contest. :p I worked hard to make it clear & expressive. : )

I had to laugh a little bit at the last bit:

Judging prior to Polling? UNHEARD OF! :O

Well, judges make their individual judgements. The judgements will then by stacked up against one another. A poll will be held and then a final calculation will then be done, the votes and the judgements compared to see who won. By ensuring that part by part is finished, we will either get everything done quickly or we'll know who to blame for delaying everything. Win win.

Btw, wanna be the math guy for this contest too? You did it rather well last time. ;D
Oh and thanks for the criteria, saved me loads of time.

I will go for a vehicle:
135123d1399921341-modelling-contest-26-steampunk-wip_01.jpg

Damn that's sexy. Steampunky engine is sure to follow? ;D

Level 26
uu interesting stuff so far..

Chenralstrasz@ footman-y atm =P keep it up

-Grendel@ Ay Caramba o_O

Deo@ whatcha workin' on? =P

System@ Interesting.. feels a bit more like a modern-ish robot atm

Freddyk, ain't that looking a bit too modern in body-lines? victorian is like the oldtimer cars

Don't mess up Freddyk's gold. Steampunk essentially means steam powered. But rubber is nothing new and the concept of the vehicle is simple.

Don't mess up Freddyk's gold. Steampunk essentially means steam powered. But rubber is nothing new and the concept of the vehicle is simple.
Not really just about steampowered.It has has to have a victorian era inspired aesthetic.ACV is hardly steampunk.You can't say it has steampowered engine and have it use other technology that implies the discovery of oil.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/183403-albums6929-picture83902.html

started life as a goblin land mine, but it like a butterfly, its gong to metamorphosis into a red alert terror drone, a star wars buzz droid, and starcraft 2 anti air mine. MUWAHAHAHAHA

''Not really just about steam powered.It has has to have a Victorian era inspired aesthetic.ACV is hardly steam punk.You can't say it has steam powered engine and have it use other technology that implies the discovery of oil. ''

I thought steam punk just meant old archaic robotics and or machinery, whether that be manned or autonomous? powered by any thing from magic to steam to coal?

Last edited:
Level 26
Grendel, this thing is giving me serious "big daddy" vibes, from bioshock. ;P
Pretty damn cool so far.

Not really just about steampowered.It has has to have a victorian era inspired aesthetic.ACV is hardly steampunk.You can't say it has steampowered engine and have it use other technology that implies the discovery of oil.

Actually, oil and hoverships have nothing to do with each other. A swedish scientist first made designs of hoverships in 1716. The victorian era is 1837-1901.
Thus, you would be able to conclude that because of the possibilities of steampunk. Because steampunk is an extended version of the victorian era, he would be fine. Steampunk often shows knowledge of advanced robotics and other fancy things, far superior to modern day technology in those areas.

So, if his engine is steampunkish, he's all good. Granted, you have a point about the aesthetic. Steampunk can also be an alternate future, as in an alternate timeline, but you're right, the victorian era aestichic is still present. But, bioshock, all games.. are steampunk. Dishonered, is steampunk.. I think there's many examples of iterations of steampunk. That's why I left it open to interpretation. They use whale oil in dishonored though.. and that's still steampunk.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, judges make their individual judgements. The judgements will then by stacked up against one another. A poll will be held and then a final calculation will then be done, the votes and the judgements compared to see who won. By ensuring that part by part is finished, we will either get everything done quickly or we'll know who to blame for delaying everything. Win win.
Yeaaaahh... It's the same thing that happens/happened in previous contests; I was just pointing out it was in a different order (often the Poll is set up, runs, and is tallied before the Judging is released/done). But it's no big deal, I suppose.

MiniMage said:
Btw, wanna be the math guy for this contest too? You did it rather well last time. ;D
Oh and thanks for the criteria, saved me loads of time.
I wouldn't mind helping out... But are you sure you want to entrust something like that to me again, after the last time? :p
I can do it. However, as long as the Judges consistently use the Criteria & the Voters do what they're supposed to do, it's child's play to tally it all up; anyone can do it.

kellym0 said:
started life as a goblin land mine, but it like a butterfly, its gong to metamorphosis into a red alert terror drone, a star wars buzz droid, and starcraft 2 anti air mine. MUWAHAHAHAHA
That's pretty schweet, and an excellent retinue of inspiration. :p

~~~

So as the obligatory Troll-dude... I have to wonder what kind of awexome Troll steam-punk mech could be fabricated by one of you guys. I dunno, something like

eadaa8484975d0410afe0a247443.jpg

DSC07852.JPG

mNeVBXD7FlFPNYzTvwPTdvA.jpg

LEGO_8091_PIC.jpg

as a base of sorts (but made of wood), with

Targitzan.jpg

on top, shooting DARTS.

(Nothing personal, Misha; always considering alternative viewpoints :p)

~~~

On the other hand, this'd be a great contest for a surprisingly-little-done model... a Dwarven Engineer!
500px-Dwarvenengineer.jpg

There's seriously like no model so far that really gets this feeling across... Could be a schweet sort of "heroic" version of the Dwarven Demolitions Squad from Wc2, mixed with the necessary 'steam-punk' augmentations... Perhaps a

1368018850355.jpg

, or even better, a strange
games-workshop-warhammer-dwarfs-Grimm-Burlocksson.jpg

, y'know?

I seem to have no match for you all, heheh, my concept is a footman with cannon hands and steam comes from a tube at the back, then it's wrapped with the steamtank texture, but only made by geomeges and rewraps :( Good luck guys!

Chen@ I'm sure you can make that even more groovy x)

Kyrbio@ what the? XD I'm building you that, granted, with so many pauses that it ain't even funny .u.

let's not go offtopic here :p

Actually, oil and hoverships have nothing to do with each other. A swedish scientist first made designs of hoverships in 1716. The victorian era is 1837-1901.
Maybe but his wip is almost a carbon copy of modern day ACV.
Thus, you would be able to conclude that because of the possibilities of steampunk. Because steampunk is an extended version of the victorian era, he would be fine. Steampunk often shows knowledge of advanced robotics and other fancy things, far superior to modern day technology in those areas.
Actualy robotics doesn't exist in any steampunk universe.Robotics implies the invention of PCB and modern electric wire covered in plastic for isolation and computer programing.
It's just fictional steam construct that operate thanks to "science" but not robotics.
So, if his engine is steampunkish, he's all good. Granted, you have a point about the aesthetic. Steampunk can also be an alternate future, as in an alternate timeline, but you're right, the victorian era aestichic is still present. But, bioshock, all games.. are steampunk. Dishonered, is steampunk.. I think there's many examples of iterations of steampunk. That's why I left it open to interpretation. They use whale oil in dishonored though.. and that's still steampunk.
Why saying that only the engine should be steampunkish and the victorian aesthetic is still important and then contradict yourself by ignoring the fact that the rest of the aesthetic is as almost a carbon copy of modern ACV with nothing indicating it's victorian.It's not just about steam there's plenty of modern technology that still use steam like smoothing iron but should not be considered steampunk.

And when I'm talking about oil It's petrol, fuel ,gasoline that oil not some cooking oil or whatever.Whale oil has nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.