• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
What is more, you may want to get rid of those vines lurking in the air, one is really zoomed and looks blurry and stretched.

EDIT: Cathedral building is complete, colors may change, perhaps few touches in the future, but right now it is solid. Total of 6019 doodads were placed by hand for cathedral building only.
X2cu6bB.png

That is insane dude, I love it :)

Level 20
Added some trees outside the castle, and overgrowing ones inside it. Also added some kind of area in front of the building, as some sort of garden/welcoming area. Well it was supposed to, but the owners abandoned the castle due to reasons.

Attachments

• 2014-09-14 19_42_17-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 v1.jpg
    2014-09-14 19_42_17-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 v1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 160
Level 49
3rd WIP, changed the bridge, and removed the vine at the front. Changed some details too. Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to more ideas/things to change/add/remove.

2dr77r8.jpg

Great stuff so far. I really don't like the blood-rune and the ugly skull gate, though, they seem lower quality than the rest. I recommend using this doodad pack by Mc !. You can try this one as well.

Level 36
What is more, you may want to get rid of those vines lurking in the air, one is really zoomed and looks blurry and stretched.

EDIT: Cathedral building is complete, colors may change, perhaps few touches in the future, but right now it is solid. Total of 6019 doodads were placed by hand for cathedral building only.
X2cu6bB.png

I'm curious, when does the terrain come into this terrain?

2-P

2-P

Level 8

X2cu6bB.png

I pray that you won't have clipping problems later on.

Level 10
Added some trees outside the castle, and overgrowing ones inside it. Also added some kind of area in front of the building, as some sort of garden/welcoming area. Well it was supposed to, but the owners abandoned the castle due to reasons.

I love this! Great job!:grin:

Level 20
Not bad. I like where this is going man :)

I love this! Great job!:grin:

Thanks!

New WiP :D
I added a sky (sorta, it's just storm clouds), and more overgrowth. Also decided that the new area would be a some kind of wizard tower, so the people would be able to study the arcane arts. And other small details.

Attachments

• 2014-09-15 09_54_07-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 v1.jpg
    2014-09-15 09_54_07-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 4.0 v1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 171
Level 31
Thanks, guys. :)
I'm curious, when does the terrain come into this terrain?
Sorry, what do you mean? Well yeah, it does look like one big model, but started making the environment yesturday. :)
I pray that you won't have clipping problems later on.
So do I. :)

EDIT: Started having doodads disappearing when set to screenshot angle, hope to solve it somehow.

Last edited:
I am not really seeing a castle , i dont know , it was just a medieval dam? . :<
You dont really need sun flares , those things will just ruin the terrain.

Actually , i like Heinvers' idea , you must add detail to it. Add revealing interiors , try looking at "Refuge in Ruins" terrain [You will notice some holes/destroyed walls where you can see the interiors or things behind the wall, thats what i'm talking about] . You might also want to add parapets at the top of the wall to make it look like a castle wall.

Add some trees too, maybe the left place is a good place for the trees

Hope you guys don't mind a late participant. Only saw this thread a couple of days ago and only decided to participate a few minutes ago.

Very early wip.

View attachment 139420

Trying to make a castle that is in the middle of reconstruction or something.

Nice one. The idea of having it under construction is really cool.

Level 24
WiP 9, Note: this is before Stryd post

vQu2h7D.jpg

I am not really seeing a castle , i dont know , it was just a medieval dam? . :<
You dont really need sun flares , those things will just ruin the terrain.

Actually , i like Heinvers' idea , you must add detail to it. Add revealing interiors , try looking at "Refuge in Ruins" terrain [You will notice some holes/destroyed walls where you can see the interiors or things behind the wall, thats what i'm talking about] . You might also want to add parapets at the top of the wall to make it look like a castle wall.

Add some trees too, maybe the left place is a good place for the trees

Its not a damn, its a castle with waterfalls, a little dam-ish, :''
And yeah, maybe I should just remove those flares

will then, I'll try (but not too much)
and the left side will do

Level 28
@Heinvers

And lets hope that it doesn't only stay at the start. ;D

@AP

Its also good to see another playable terrainer on this contest.

My terrain is almost complete, few touches left as well as sky and the lighting. Will post the final entry only, no more WIPs from me.

Wait, you're also gonna play around with lightning effects? Crap, looks like I'm the only who will not even gonna bother because.. well.. I'm just bad with that.

Just a small WIP peek.

Finally decided the design of the wall. I don't want to use a pre-made wall like Ogre's RIR wall or Tal's wall since its just too main stream on this contest for some reason.

Terrain WIP 2.png

And the early look of the towers. Doesn't have a roofs yet and I think I'll add a third layer too make them a little bit more taller.

Terrain WIP 3.png

Level 28
@Edge

Your building looks more of a small fortress than a castle but it really looks good.

Welp. Main building is almost done. Just need to work on the back part then I can finally work on side buildings and I'm also planning to make a garden or something.

211785-albums5888-picture89150.jpg

PS

Those two paladins are the carpenters of the building.

New Update of my work.

-Added small bells at the second building. (A sign of christmas)
-Added guy with a boat (Not sure if it is a good idea to add boating guy there since the boat is really dark. I will look for more better/lighter boat later on)
-Lesser Sun Intensity (Because it looks very white when viewed on other desktops with high contrast settings)
-Re-Added the Lightposts without lights to the garden

226575-albums7453-picture89207.png

For the next update , i might add loraderon and cityscape stuffs (flags) , just to give color :D I might also add some magical stuffs if possible :D

Level 28
I think if we want to make a castle,we need to make from inside the castle area to outside the castle area,isn't it?

Not really necessary.

Another wip of my entry. Early look of the corridor. Still messy and unfinished but its just a wip. There will be a courtyard of some sort in front of it later.

Terrain Contest WIP 7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.