• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[OLD] Hero Contest #6: The First Invasion ~ The Poll

Which hero do you find the most capable to defend the elven city?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture62464.png

160036-albums4747-picture62466.png

160036-albums4747-picture59728.png

The First Invasion

..."Sargeras gathered his vast Burning Legion and made his way towards the unsuspecting world of Azeroth. The Legion was composed of a million screaming demons, all ripped from the far corners of the universe, and the demons hungered for conquest. (...) Sargeras began his catastrophic invasion of Azeroth. The warrior-demons of the Burning Legion stormed into the world through the Well of Eternity and laid siege to the night elves' sleeping cities..."

Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!

RED BARON
Firefighter William

160036-albums4747-picture63727.png

Options
| |
Luorax
Arrynok Frostglance, the Frost Herald

160036-albums4747-picture63715.png

Options
| |
juno
Flower Dryad, Diana Windwood

160036-albums4747-picture63711.png

Options
| |
Orcnet
Nature's Raiment, An'da Grovemane

160036-albums4747-picture63725.png

Options
| |
mckill2009
Frost Sorceress

160036-albums4747-picture63716.png

Options
| |
Mephestrial
The Shadow Warrior

160036-albums4747-picture63718.png

Options
| |
Meepo-
Ancient of Stone

160036-albums4747-picture63717.png

Options
| |
Jake Kessler
The Troll Deathspeaker

160036-albums4747-picture63710.png

Options
| |
AdityaHegde
The Purifier, Dath'Remar Sunstrider

160036-albums4747-picture63705.png

Options
| |
Chaosy
Doradin

160036-albums4747-picture63706.png

Options
| |
Adiktuz
Jack Frost, Guardian of Ice

160036-albums4747-picture63704.png

Options
| |
En_Tropy
Cyrisse Moongrove, Arcane Priestess

160036-albums4747-picture63708.png

Options
| |
Kyousuke Imadori
The Trapmaster, Fakker Plug

160036-albums4747-picture63714.png

Options
| |
Lordkoon
The Archbishop

160036-albums4747-picture63754.png

Options
| |
Christers
The Dwarven Engineers

160036-albums4747-picture63707.png

Options
| |
Kybri0
The Nightwalker

160036-albums4747-picture63713.png

Options
| |
Mr_Bean
Serengale, The Holy Paladin

160036-albums4747-picture63724.png

Options
| |
Xiliger
Incarnation of Elements

160036-albums4747-picture63729.png

Options
| |
Garfield1337
Feral Master, Fraxineus

160036-albums4747-picture63709.png

Options
| |
WerePhoenix
Wyronus, the Lieutenant of the Green Dragonflight

160036-albums4747-picture63728.png

Options
| |
Radamantus
Rovlen, Druid of the Ages

160036-albums4747-picture63726.png

Options
| |
Zenonoth
Deathwing, Aspect of Death

160036-albums4747-picture63730.png

Options
| |
-Kobas-
Priestess of the Moonlight

160036-albums4747-picture63712.png

Options
| |

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you disqualified, banned from future contests and neg-repped, depending on the severity of your case. This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you.

Additionally, voting for your self is not encouraged, because the vote will not be counted anyway.

Entries that are valid on the poll doesn't equal immunity; either cheating the poll or being evaluated by the judge that your entry is violating the rules of the contest or the site's in general, automatically puts your entry at risk.

Last edited:
Please, inform me if you find any mistakes on the layout.

Lordkoon, I could not open your map with the regular editor; hopefully you didn't use WEU or anything else other than the vanilla editor or JNGP. Feel free to send me your hero's presentation and I will adapt it to the post.

Note, that the original thread has been closed, so that you are unable to perform any changes in your entries.

Good luck everyone!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Posting to subscribe. Just a few questions/comments/concerns:

Question
When does this end? If I can throw out a time, I'd ask for at least a few weeks, as my semester is ending and finals week (this week) will keep me from testing anything.
--EDIT-- Just saw the poll (lrn2read), and I think the end of December is doable for voting purposes. Thanks.

Question
Should we even be allowed to vote for ourselves, if that vote doesn't count? If not, then I already see a few people whose votes means nothing, unfortunately.
Also, is there one single file where we can download all the entries? Might make it easier to force us to test something other than what we (eyecandy) like.

Comment
Just a note, my name is misspelled on the Poll; it should read K-y-r-b-i-0, if you please. :p. Also, the "person" link on my entry, the Nightwalker, claims that I'm not registered?

Comment
Also, I didn't know you were taking the time to set up the entries all artistically like that... You could've saved time and made it more of personal challenge to make one ourselves (according to your specifications of size & style, of course). I wouldn't have minded. :p

Concern
Looking at the number of entrants in abstract (in the original thread), I was vaguely worried. Now, however, I'm really concerned that we're not going to have a very fair contest. I mean, if each person has only One vote... Well, I don't know how many people normally vote in these things, but more than likely even if 15-20 people (a decent number) vote, some entries will be entirely ignored, and you'll have an entry winning with "3" votes or some such.

If I may make one of three suggestions for voting method (sorry to not bring it up earlier, but I wasn't sure how exactly it was intended to go), I think it might really help this contest out and make things more interesting for everyone.

(Yes, I know we've already just started; however, if need be, we can just transfer the votes over to the new way, or whatever is necessary. Only 7 have voted as of the time of this post, after all).

One (1):
giving voters the option to vote More than Once (i.e. at least 2 votes per voter, perhaps even 3), as in the First and Second Hero Contests at Wc3C (except perhaps not allowing those 2/3 votes to go to the same person, as this could result in quite an overflow by lazy voters :p). This way, it allows for people's preference slightly more.

Two (2):
setting up a sort of "elimination method", whereby the contest can be, in a sense, truncated to deal with certain discrete pairs. This way, each hero would have to be seriously considered (a must if we're going for accountable voting), and 'the cream will rise to the top' as they say. :p

Three (3):
the Schulze method for voting (Wikipedia article, Implementation, and Done in Wc3C's 3rd Hero Contest). This is an incredibly-useful method that, with a bit of programming knowledge (or just bugging Vex for his implementation), could be used. It works really well as a "preference-based model", whereby voters can vote using their actual preferences, tiering up the entries in order of which they'd prefer, and the voting algorithm does all the math that ends up with the most preferential submission. It was successful enough that we used it for the 3rd & 4th Hero Contest, and the 1st & 2nd Race-building Contest. Awexome!

~~~

Anyway, just some thoughts. Excited to see this go up, and (after finals) I am anxious to test & vote. Good luck, everyone!

Level 14
Please, inform me if you find any mistakes on the layout.

Lordkoon, I could not open your map with the regular editor; hopefully you didn't use WEU or anything else other than the vanilla editor or JNGP. Feel free to send me your hero's presentation and I will adapt it to the post.

Note, that the original thread has been closed, so that you are unable to perform any changes in your entries.

Good luck everyone!

I work with jassnewgenpack5d or JNGP so I dont know whats the problem. It opens perfectly fine for me...
Edit: Just tried to open it in normal world editor, it gives some trigger error and crashes it. Please open it with JNGP, latest version.

@Kybri0, the contestants that vote for themselves, those votes will be ignored.

The Schulze method didn't work out, last time I was inclined to make use of. It probably has to do with people having no interest to check every entry. Additionally, this is a poll where everyone can vote, so you can pretty much expect one to be mostly attracted by special effects or the mechanisms of the spells; coding-wise, they won't care much, which is a hole the judge must cover (I am not suggesting that everyone acts like that).

The elimination method would generate a lot of voting sub-phases and in regards to the aforementioned facts, it may or may not work as intended. What bothers me the most here is that the voting phase will last too long. Additionally, if we wanted to make sense out of it, the public votes should weigh 50% instead of 35%.
This method was about to be tested in the 2012 event, but, since the latter didn't work out properly, I still can't tell with certainty how it would have been adopted by the public. However, this method would be under the supervision of a judge, which means that the output would be much more solid in return. When the public comes into play, the boundaries are chaotic and limitless. Thus, if an X system won't go well with the public, then a Y system that is consisted of X's divisions will also not go well.

As for the multi-votes, I was this close to make the poll multi-optional. If you guys agree, I can make it like that.

It would take me ages to do that. And plus, just because this happens (that people heavily focus on sfx), it doesn't mean that I will be strengthening this, by posting spell screenshots.

The point of the previews is to make each entry appealing to download, but if one still doesn't download it, then it's their choice alone, not the way the poll's layout is structured.

Level 4
Good luck everyone!
Pharaoh_ great job with the poll layout.
As for the multi-voting, I think with this amount of entries it wouldn't be bad. I agree.
I think I will vote in the Christmas holiday, when I'm going to get more time to decide.

Level 35
I voted for Kobas mainly because I support SOTP, and because He's a good programmer. So I bet it's fairly unique.

So you didn't in fact test it.. nor try the other entries..? Not sure if I would recommend such an approach. It would a bit fairer to judge based on trying the maps - just taking the judge criteria would tell that:

Concept -> How interesting is the hero to play with? How well does it bind with the contest's theme?

Coding -> Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed?

Synergy -> How well do the abilities work with each other? Do they fit with the theme of the hero?

Balance -> How balanced the hero is? Is it extremely weak to own or extremely hard to face?

Aesthetics -> How good-looking the hero is? How well their appearance is fitting with the icons? Are the tooltips self-explanatory?

Oh btw: I do also support the multi-vote - Besides at least spreading votes out to include content as well in some cases.

@AdityaHegde
Your hero was the most interesting to me, but sadly I found bug that ruin it completely.
You can cast Test Of Purification ignoring cooldown.

call TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent(t, Player(i), EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_CAST, null)
should be
call TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent(t, Player(i), EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_EFFECT, null)

Also aura increase armor for both sword/stuff :)

EDIT:

Hmmm, I see you use structs, scopes, textmacroes and all kind of shit mixed up together to create few more or less (I will say) easy spells.
Yes problem is how to link them because synergy is really awesome here, but I think you did it wrong.

You use some, for me, unneeded resources, because you code simple spells here not huge systems that must be hard core optimized and stable.
So instead things like GroupRecycler, Alloc just stay with Table and use RegisterPlayerUnitEvent/SpellEffectEvent libraries to handle that spell onInit thing :)

library with few functions in it are better choice than methods and structs.

Status
Not open for further replies.