• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6: The First Invasion ~ The Poll

Which hero do you find the most capable to defend the elven city?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 37
I have checked 14/23 spells.

This includes object editor stuff, triggers/coding, tooltips and icons, some balance and stat analysis and inspection of sounds and visuals of spells.

Synergy and concept has been left on lesser emphasis, I will focus on them once I have checked every hero.

Level 37
Only fitting that my 6,666th post is in HC#6 thread.

I have checked out all heroes thoroughly and taken notes.

Now round 2 begins, I will go through them again incase something has been missed and now that I have seen all the entries, there's more perspective.

A few general issues that I want to point out in spell creation:

• Set the death type of your dummies to Can't raise, does not decay. Otherwise the dummies will stay in the game for 90 seconds after they die
  • Dummies shouldn't give vision in most cases
  • Learn to use Follow through time with Channel based abilities. It affects the cast animation duration
  • With tooltips, you can't go wrong if you mimic standard Blizzard abilities

These issues came up in many, many heroes. With some of the heroes I was not sure if I was reading a novel or a tooltip, looking at a rainbow or reading spell description.

To end the post in a more positive note, I've have had fun testing your creations and there are many great spells and ideas. Hopefully the reviews are worthy of the contest entries and the workload invested in them.

Level 23
  • Set the death type of your dummies to Can't raise, does not decay. Otherwise the dummies will stay in the game for 90 seconds after they die
  • Dummies shouldn't give vision in most cases

Oooh~ Didn't know that. I know that this is one of the issues with my hero.. Thanks for da tips..

==============================

Oh Ghod, can't wait for the results
the suspense is killing me!

Level 37
Whooah, we're half way there!

Attachments

• Reviews_45578.jpg
    Reviews_45578.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 144
Two weeks? I don't know. Whenever I have time I make reviews.
Guys, I know it's hard but please have some patience.

If it would be up to me I would already have finished those reviews.
But I am kinda busy in my real life so whenever I am not working and still a little bit awake I turn on the pc and check the heroes. =)

Okay I wanna make it short.
Bad news: I am kinda busy right now in work + private life.
Good news: I still managed to finish another spell review in train and plan to do at least one more later. :)

Update:
I try to finish all my reviews this weekend. Will review 2 more heroes now.

Update2:
I have 8 reviews left now, so it means 15 are done.
After all are done I will check them once more and if every flaw is removed I will finalize them and send them to Pharaoh_.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
No rush. I can be patient (i.e. for the totality of the judging); was just curious as to my personal standing, independent of the others. : )

_Pharaoh, I checked the first post to see how this whole "judges vs. poll" thing worked, and there didn't seem to be any of the customary information as to how judging and polling interact. How is the winner decided? Are the pollsters or the judges more in control of this? (I suppose I assumed the judges would vote the top '#th' number of entrants that won the poll, but apparently that's not the case).

Just curious.

Level 37
I don't mind if they do. The reviews are based partly on personal views, though there is a lot of modding knowledge and understanding to support them. There is so much to check with each hero that one is bound to miss something that the other notices. One might emphasize something different than the other. In this sense I think it is greate we have two judges, it will all balance out I'm sure.

If you have a great hero, it will rank highly no matter who the judges are.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The poll counts for 30% of the final score, and as there are two judges, both can affect 35% of the score.
Interesting method. I too agree, having 'n+1' judges is important, so that one viewpoint doesn't dominate the whole contest (point of the poll, I suppose; only better because the judge actually looks at your entry :<...).

I've also seen it done where a series of judges each judge an aspect of the entry they specialize in, so as to divide up the work (i.e. a coding whiz judges the programming aspect, a design guru judges design & balance, an artsy-type judges the aesthetics, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.