• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling mini-contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4

The Witch of the Swamps

ingame.png

Polycount is 128.

Attachments

• Old_Hag.MDx
    31.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Old_Hag.blp
    171.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upload from mobile phone didn't work I guess.

Here she is though, animated to be a basic caster unit or something:

The Witch of the Swamps

View attachment 65657

Not entirely sure about the polycount - w3 previewer says it's 128, but then again w3 previewer tells a lot of crap. According to Magos' it's 124 though.

:O holy cow it melts and stuff. very clever
not sure about the attack anim but the rest are well done. great job

Level 28
Dang, I didn't know there was so many modelers doing WC3 stuff lol. I have not seen a whole lot of maps with custom models.

Look in the model section instead.

Kount:
That is a really nice model. As HappyCockroach said you could add a particle in the spell anim. Some pulsing light with the Shockwave10 texture could be nice.
But I think you should hide the mudpuddle in the anims where it's not used cause it will pop out of the ground if she walks on a hill or stands on the edge of a cliff.

Level 6
Winners never quit.
Quitters never win.

Some drug addicts would tell you otherwise.

Upload from mobile phone didn't work I guess.

Here she is though, animated to be a basic caster unit or something:

The Witch of the Swamps

Attachment 65657

Not entirely sure about the polycount - w3 previewer says it's 128, but then again w3 previewer tells a lot of crap. According to Magos' it's 124 though.

Holy crap I think this model is awesome. Great work, love the idea... it'll be really useful for some people too.

Level 2
I am not entering the contest, so I apologize for posting here, but I wanted to ask... I just downloaded Milkshape and I'm trying to make my first ever model. How can you guys make entire figures with so few triangles? I have a head and part of a torso and I'm already over 300...

Level 25
I am not entering the contest, so I apologize for posting here, but I wanted to ask... I just downloaded Milkshape and I'm trying to make my first ever model. How can you guys make entire figures with so few triangles? I have a head and part of a torso and I'm already over 300...

You have to learn the 3D modeling fundamentals. I suggest you to google some basic tutorials...
If you use 3Ds max you can find basic tutorials in the Help menu.

That witch/hag looks awesome, but I agree with Thriko about the puddle thingy.

Princess Kiali said:

Modelers usually begin with boxes or planes and use wonderful modifiers like extrude and connect to make shapes and styles.
But as skrab said, you should consider searching for some basic 3D modelling tutorials on the internet so you can get a good start.

Level 4
Wow, I finally got internet again, just in time

Thanks to your feedback I made a few minor tweaks.

# Puddle hidden (Didn't hide it in the first place cause it looked good in the portrait. Got seperate portrait animations now)

# Particle Emitters: I already had a version with particles, but I was unsure about the tricount (the previewer showed 128 tris even without particles). Though since I'm having 124 tris and a maximum of 2 particles at a time according to Magos', I hope I'm fine with them in.

I didn't change any of the animations, I think attack looks pretty decent with particles and the right projectile ingame

Example with the Banshee-Projectile with 500 Speed and a 10% arc
Attack1.GIF

Guess thats final then :hohum:

Last edited:
Level 26
you could make any model you want, what you do is create a texture about 50feet by 50 feet, then you draw the model you want (i.e. footman) and then you copy and paste that picture you drew 500 times over and align it to a grid pattern, and then slightly alter the pictures so it looks like it is moving. It would be like stop-motion animation., all you would need to do is set a plane (2 face square) to one of the little guys, and then have a texture animation move the UVed box around for each 1/60th of a second for each animation. Then you put that geoset on a bone and set that bone to billboarded, so you can see it from all angles, like a real 3d model.

its like an extremely fucking complex somewhat 3d version of a stop motion reel, just like in the old days :D

Level 21
Yeah, I'm really sorry guys, I haven't had any free time lately. I have a little time right now in the morning, so I'll try to look through the models

Wow! I looked through the models and I was impressed by all of them. Nice job handeling the poly limit, animations, and textures everyone. I won't be able to get back to you guys until tomorrow though, so hopefully I'll have my decision then

Status
Not open for further replies.