• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Contest #14 - Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

zephyr.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
4.png

Icon
Contestants create a spell based on the image of the Icon. Remember that the icon must be custom.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the Site Rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Spell Submission Rules the creator may/will be disqualified.
  • File name must be: "<username> + <spell name>".
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission (Wip), before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed. Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered as teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • Icons must be custom and must be credited if downloaded.
  • You will not be penalized if you use GUI over JASS
  • Convenience over effort won't be an excuse to make use of third party programs (exception: Jass New Gen Pack). GUI actions that do not exist in the vanilla editor's database may lead to disqualification. WEU (World Editor Unlimited) and UMSWE fall into this category.
  • You can use any enhancing system (xe, IsDestructableTree, Damage detection systems, etc.), as long as the judge(s) and/or host give(s) consent to its usage.
  • All code must have decent documentation. This should ensure easy understanding of code, and simple test conditions.
  • An infraction of any of the rules stated above may result in a disqualification.
  • For optional, for me only, if you want, give a recording video of the spell. My PC is not compatible for Warcraft anymore and I have to wait for 9 months.
    Attention: Icons must be CUSTOM!!!
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • The rest claims 5 reputation points
  • Judges claim 10 reputation points

judges.png

• GIMLI_2
  • PurgeandFire(Applied Moderator)
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Coding
Is the skill bug- and leak-free? Does it support multiple instances? Is there a good documentation and are there enough configurable variables to fit the needs of different user? Does it cause performance issues upon effect? Is the code fitting for a decent spell submission, or is it too simple?/25

Creativity
Is it unique? How creatively was the idea executed and is it fitting the theme?/15

Visual
How does the skill look? Is it overloaded with special effects? How explanatory is the tooltip/description of its functionality?/10

• 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 29th March 2016 and conclude on 2nd May 2016, on 18.30 GMT +7

Contest Delayed and theme will be changed.

Last edited:
I fail to see why stage 2 of polling was ever cancelled in favour of rushing out the contest - just over a week has passed since the initial posting of a theme discussion (9 days) and now we're starting it tomorrow
I will be participating regardless of my many issues with the theme (arguably hardly constitutes a theme given there's ~8,100 icons to choose from: You can make what you fancy and look for an icon afterwards)

eitherway I shall be using this:
icons_10278_btn.jpg
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...8/?prev=status=g&search=egg&d=list&r=20&mmr=4
and my entry will be a mechanic-based summon (I have worked it all out) and shall start work once I have some free time (starting roughly this Friday)

Could one explain me the exact difference between judge-categories: "Icon" and "Creativity"?

One is "fit the theme"
One is "fit the icon"

.. which seems the same.
If one chooses a DC icon, you really can't score him positively or negatively for simply choosing it.
So the theme itself can't be judged, because you actually choose the theme of someone else, the icon maker.
What can be judged is only how well the theme was executed.

Level 11
If this does go through, I should mention that I will no longer use the icon I mentioned in my first post -- it is too generic and doesn't have much creative use.

I should go as far as to say this should be cancelled due to these reasons:
  • There wasn't enough time to discuss what themes were right, which ones were too vague and which ones would be predominant in the poll if left alone (That being the generic icon idea).
  • There wasn't enough time for the voting poll. Right then the contest wasn't approved, it wasn't on the notices so that more people would see it and you shouldn't be able to vote for all the entries available.
  • The contest is handled rather poorly, not giving enough information, not giving enough time (as mentioned above) and there are some aesthetic errors. I do appreciate the initiative that AditTechno has, but he lacks the experience.

It does give me a dose of mental pain to say this because I have been waiting for a spell contest, but I'd rather wait a bit more to see more quality shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.