• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #7 - Nature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
After considering, I think that feedback really isn't a good idea for this sort of thing. I am finding it difficult to give useful feedback without revealing anything too critical, and as such I will just wait for the contest deadline to expire and then I will be reviewing the spells that have been submitted.

The previous feedback that I offered a couple of pages back really isn't going to impact the results of the contest, so I will just leave it at that. I want everybody to be very thorough, though, and take note of that - in addition to speculating the spell entirely I will be examining the details of the spell as well, and small bugs/problems will be noticed.

Level 9
@Beast(TrOg)

I absolutely love your spell. However, it certainly needs more visuals. There is a lot of opportunity for special effects, but I currently see very few in there. That's the only thing I can think of, really... Nice work!

P.S. work on balance

Level 7
...it certainly needs more visuals.

P.S. work on balance

Yep, more visuals coming later. I won't be working on this for like a week or 2 though... Anyways, I think it's balanced for now. I used Entangling Roots as a comparison.

for a strange reason, the spell only work once for me.

Strange, works perfectly for me so far. I'll see.

Level 23
Okay, so if somewhere steals my concept now, I will be really mad :3
(In fact, since I post the concept here, and haven't seen anyone doing a spell like it here before, I will consider this post a proof if I see someone else posting something similar later:>)

Also, back from vacation... Hi!

... now I should only implement it...

Attachments

• DSC00016.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 176
So can we use some of the submitted systems, FOR EXAMPLE paladon's knockback system?
Also my spell idea :
Name : Nature's Hand
"The Caster calls Nature and roots and a giant plant will grow out of the ground. An earthquake will start, damaging enemy units nearby and the giant plant will heal nearby allied units. Lasts 8 seconds."

Last edited:
Level 11
Okie dokie, I just returned and I'll be leaving again soon, so I doubt I'll manage to properly finish my spell, yet again. Duh ><

Level 3
Yes it does, and I did read your code and it shouldn’t be possible:confused:.

If the ability level bug is what causes this than you just have to code your way around it like I did. If it is just my version of wc3, than you don’t have to worry about it (unless the judges have the same version).
Use the hot key (E) to choose the target, chose a target as soon as the targeting ability appears (if you are 1 second late, the ability doesn't appear again) and the ability appears again (at least that what happens with me).

Level 9
It has never happened to me, nor should it. No one else has reported this bug. I guess it's just localized to you... how strange.

Btw, i never took off all of the damage stuff from the choose target ability because it's removed as soon as you use it. So, if you do have that issue, you can do a bit of damage with it!

Level 18
Does that happen every time you run my spell? Because that shouldn't be possible.

I can confirm this bug; I will post a screen shot.

I only have one Billy Joe Bob hero, this is not multiple casts. As you can see only one of the exclamations is used properly as the target, while another exclamation over the original target (of the first spell) becomes permanent. Also this happens on all levels of the spell; not just at level 1.

Last edited:
Level 18
I still have yet to experience this bug

Within 2 minutes of reading the post that explained how to produce the bug I was able to reproduce it. If you're incapable of doing so then you're either not trying hard enough, or you're deliberately trying to avoid it. On another note I really don't see why this spell requires 5 triggers, two of which are periodic, just to execute the spell properly (which is an over statement); you have really over-complicated things. At least, that is what it seems.

Level 9
You got me there berb, I never condensed the periodic triggers. Even so, for what it does, I don't think it's that complicated. The spell is big, I'll admit, but in this newer version, only 25% of the trigger runs per cast, and even before that, not all of the trigger ran 10 times a second. So although the trigger is big, I've designed it so that it's impact is small.

Anywho, about that bug: just because I'm not fast-fingered enough to reproduce it doesn't mean I don't know how it works, hence the recent fix (still looking for feedback on it, though).

New version

changelog
-condensed periodic triggers (thanks for catching that Berb)
-now only 25% of the trigger runs per casting caster
-added map description, title, etc. so that WE would stop bugging me every time i saved

View attachment Zephyr Challenge Submission- Spencenator.w3x

EDIT: btw, there were 3 periodic triggers before

EDIT2:
@Scorpion182: I love it, but I agree that it's pretty imba

Level 37
@spencenator

In the loop trigger (almost at the beginning)
  • Set Temp_Loc = ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by (Random real number between 0.00 and 300.00) towards (Random angle) degrees)
Shortly after that:
  • Hashtable - Save True as Was_Given_Ability of (Key (Load Caster of (Key (Picked unit)) in Troubled_Treant_Hash)) in (Last created hashtable)
There was at least one other (Last created hashtable) in there also.

Level 9
and more emberassing mistakes emerge... I must have really let myself go. I'll track down each remaining screw-up and post an update tomorrow. Thanks guys, and good luck to all as you finish up (or just begin) your spells!

Btw, are you entering, maker?

Level 18
Can the spell be a passive ability? Or does it have to be a click spell.

It can be any kind of spell you want.

I was just making a Nature hero for my game, Ill submit his best spell.

As long as it was made specifically for this contest - you aren't allowed to submit old pieces of work as submissions.

The Rules said:
Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.

Level 23
What are the stances of using many systems available vs using your own system/spell all integrated for this contest?

Say both do the job equally well, it should not be a difference in the coding, right?

Level 11
What are the stances of using many systems available vs using your own system/spell all integrated for this contest?

Say both do the job equally well, it should not be a difference in the coding, right?

Damn, not this conversation again >.>
I guess that the rules are the same with previous contests. No omgwtf huge systems that do most of the job for you, just small code snippets that make things easier. Dunno...

Level 17
As long as it was made specifically for this contest - you aren't allowed to submit old pieces of work as submissions.

Does it count if I am making the spell for the contest but once the contest is over use it in my game? Because Ive had this spell in my head for a while and never made it and i am technically making it for this contest specifically just going to change it so it meets the standards of my game once this is over.

Level 23
Damn, not this conversation again >.>
I guess that the rules are the same with previous contests. No omgwtf huge systems that do most of the job for you, just small code snippets that make things easier. Dunno...

Read what I asked. I asked how the judging would be, not what were allowed. As in this contest you are free to use whatever you want.

Level 6
Hmmm...Coding a great spell is annoying...:p
Anyways, Berb, (or anybody else that knows)
For TriggerSleepAction() supposedly being accurate under .25 seconds(or so I've heard), is it true?
Or should I go ahead and use a timer. (annoying)

Status
Not open for further replies.