1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Zephyr Challenge #6 - AOE Summon

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Hanky, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanky

Hanky

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contest Theme: AOE Summon

Description: Contestants must create a spell that affects a certain area, either targeted or on a specific unit. Sometime during the duration of the spell, a unit (or units) must be spawned for an amount of time.

Blizzard-made Examples:
    1. Rain of Chaos (Spawns units in a targeted area)
    2. Reanimate (Turns corpses into summoned units around the caster)
    3. Locust Swarm (Summons tiny locusts that buzz around the caster attacking enemies)

Note: The classifying definition for a unit would be any entity that affects game-play on its own. This does not just mean attacking. So, if you wanted to create a spell called "Flower Garden" that spawns flowers in an area, and that attracts enemy units to it to smell the flowers; as long as each flower has the ability to attract units to it, than it would be classified as a summoned unit.

[​IMG]

• Contest Specifics:
    • Spawned units must last for AT LEAST a duration of 5 seconds
    • Only ONE submission is permitted for this contest

Usual Rules:
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the spell submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
    • Your final submission must be bug free.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
      • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
    • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
    • Either GUI or JASS may be used to create your spell; you will not be penalized if you use GUI over JASS.
    • Spells must be able to be cast by at least one unit per player at any one time. (Otherwise known as "MPI")
    • Third party editors may be used in the creation of your spell, but you must clearly state which editor you used to create the map. If a third party editor is necessary to use your spell, add a link, along with your spell submission, to download the editor.

Examples of third party editors are:
      • World Editor Unlimited
      • JassNewGenPack (or Grimoire)
      • UMSWE
    • You may use utilities that do small jobs for you, but you may not use large systems that do everything.
      Example of utilities
      • CSCache
      • Armor Detection System
      • Local Handle Vars
      • Vector System
      Example of large systems
      • Caster System
      • Particle/Object Engine
      • Knockback Functions
      • Jump System
    • An infraction of any of the rules stated above may result in a disqualification.

[​IMG]
    First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
    Second Place: 20 reputation points
    Third Place: 10 reputation points

[​IMG]

Hanky & xxdingo93xx

[​IMG]
    • Coding Is the code leakless, organized, MUI, multi-level supporting? 30/100
      The Big Idea Is the spell balanced, unique, and useful in game-play? 30/100
      Visuals Do the visual effects match the spell? Do the effects provide unnecessary clutter (too many), or are the not enough? Do the visual contribute in a positive manner? 15/100
      Presentation and Polish Is the spell bugless; does it work? Is the tooltip well-written, and is a fitting icon chosen? Does the spell fit into WC3? 15/100
      Legal Does the spell follow all contest rules? 10/100
    • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

[​IMG]

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry.

Entry Name Contestant Name

[​IMG]

All submissions must be complete and submitted 4 weeks after the contest is started. The contest shall begin on Thursday, November 5th and conclude on Thursday, December 3rd, 12:00 PM, 2009 GMT

Thanks to Asomath for his contest idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  2. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    holy shit I think I'm in actually! FINALLY SCRIPTING CONTEST

3. xxdingo93xx

xxdingo93xx

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'd apply as judge :p
    If this doesn't get through I'll just participate I'd say.

4. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Some questions;

• Contest theme says AOE Summon. Does that mean that it needs to summon a unit? Because the description says "must create a spell that affects a certain area, either targeted or on a specific unit".
    • It doesn't have to be Warcraft related does it?

5. Duragon

Duragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why not? This is a spell contest, not a programming contest, so the focus should be on the spell itself and not the means to create the spell. (This is why both GUI and JASS are allowed in the first place...)

6. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    It's a coding contest.

7. Duragon

Duragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nowhere is that mentioned in the contest rules. Anyways, if that is indeed the case, then I hope GUI gets converted to JASS and its "Coding" judging points are based upon the quality of that converted code.

8. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    D: I want to join this but Im not sure I can

9. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    haha defending your title? ^^ hope you can be in ;)

and yes it is a coding contest but this looks more like a spell contest refering to this

10. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Well naah, its more like a "I dont have time thingy" and "I do not mod wc3 anymore thing" :(

And well Duragon, if you aquestionate the rules, why not just skip to enter if you dont like them .__.

11. Duragon

Duragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because that doesn't help the site improve at all. If something is wrong with the rules, you fix the rules, you don't default to letting the rules fail and just say "Well I won't enter so whatever."

12. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    oh cmon we all know that you "CAN" mod wc3 :) the time thing is the problem, same for me :/

13. Hanky

Hanky

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I would be fine with that.

I think those blizzard spell examples like Rain of Chaos explain the theme pretty good. To answer your question: Yes you have to summon at least one unit.

A warcraft themed spell would make your submission more original.

14. baassee

baassee

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1. so with other words, everything that spawns from the spell and the "spawned" thingy does something that affects the current surroundings or entire map is counted as summoned unit right?

2. wwill it be more original if it is WC3 style? that will be hard to find something very unique among all the spells that have been created ;)

15. Eccho

Eccho

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Anyway, the judging is clearly based on alot of criterias, one of them is the coding aspect. If you would have chosen to use a large system, this aspect would probably give you almost nothing in scoring. Thus saying large systems are forbidden to prevent this. Overall, yes it is a spell contest, but then again, you could just create a standard spell like Blizzard has already. Would you get scored well? No... You are suppose to show that you know how to code things on your own. The small systems are there as well to, if you want, show that you can use other users work.

16. Hanky

Hanky

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    100 points for you. You are correct.

Well if you want you could also make a spell which create chuck norris sitting on a meteor. But I don't think that something like this would look that good and would fit to wc3.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  17. Duragon

Duragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why the hell? If you chose to use a system like xe in your spell, you should be hailed a hero for abstracting repetitive code away from your own spell code. That is the whole point of modularity, to simplify the development process and move code to other scripts so that it doesn't have to be repeatedly coded a thousand times by the user. The judging better support modularity as a good thing or this contest is totally out the window and I'm going to have to take it to some admins to deal with.
    Thus nothing, your logic is flawed because you completely ignore proper and standardized coding procedure. Overall, yes, it is a spell contest, but there is a coding component that needs to be judged properly or not judged at all.
    Yeah, you know why? Because you'd lose points in the originality category. (Hanky calls it "The Big Idea") We're not talking about that category, we're talking about the one labeled "Coding."
    Yes, and choosing which libraries to use to simplify your own spell's code is one of the most important parts of showing "how to code things on your own." That includes the caster system, xe, "knockback functions" (How can you possibly defend disallowing these?!), etc.

Right now these contest rules stand in opposition to proper development. If this site still had a development director, I'm sure he'd agree with me here. This is a spell contest, how the spell is created doesn't matter, what the spell does matters quintessentially more. Coding really shouldn't be judged at all in this case beyond whether or not the code made it too laggy to test in excess. If you want to turn it into a coding competition (Which it's not), then you must both list it as one in the contest rules and then add a rule that states that GUI code used will be converted to JASS before being judged. Those are the only two options that are remotely fair.

18. Element of Water

Element of Water

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I must say I agree with Duragon. And this site does have a Development Director - PurplePoot - and yes, I'm sure he would agree with you as well.

19. Duragon

Duragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately, the proper term is 'did' have a Development Director. According to the staff list, PurplePoot has resigned (or been fired? I presume resigned).

20. maskedpoptart

maskedpoptart

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Shit... and he was doing such a good job. Anyway, I have to agree with Duragon. This is a spell-making contest; not a system-making contest. Attempting to remake good systems even better would be a contest in itself, not to mention a very difficult one. Think for a moment about how much work Blizzard abstracted for us when they created JASS. Would you strip all that away so we could have a coding contest? Popular systems are to JASS as JASS is to C. Everyone has access to these systems online, just as we have access to native functions. It's how we mix and match and organize these features, to create something, that determines our coding ability. If you want to disallow the use of systems for the purpose of a real coding competition, why don't you make us program in assembly? That would truly determine the coding master, and be a very productive use of our time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.