• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #3 - Dual Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Okay I finally finished my spell (was a lot of work PHEW). Here goes:

THIS ABILITY REQUIRES JASSNEWGENPACK FOR THE VJASS SYNTAX
Arboreal Osmosis

doom-cripple.jpg

Description
Once cast, the nature revenant absorbs all arboreal essence within 600 range, drawing transfer lines between the caster and each tree. If a tree is blighted or dead, the caster loses 10 HP/second, else he gains 20 HP/second. A tree dies after a certain time of it's essence being drained.

Level 1 - Lasts 8 seconds
Level 2 - Lasts 10 seconds
Level 3 - Lasts 12 seconds
Description
Easy to customize. Easy to implement. This spell follows the JESP standard, and can be tested with any amount of players.

Attachments

• ArborealOsmosis.w3x
    30.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Level 8
Interesting idea, Hindy. Haven't looked at the actual spell yet, but it sounds kinda cool.

Anyway, I guess I'll try it out. This'll be my first real attempt at JASS, but we'll see how it turns out in any case.

Not sure of condition yet, but...
------------------------------------------------
SPELL IDEA: Judgement

Targets a group of six non-hero enemy units, sentencing them to either ascension or damnation. Those that ascend to Heaven are taken up in a glorious beacon of light, while those damned descend quickly into the fiery chasms of Hell.
------------------------------------------------

Obviously an ultimate, considering it's an instant kill. Nevertheless, I may change it to be a bit more balanced. Anyway, keep up the good work and good luck everyone...

Level 20
Balancing and other issues are easily adjustable and variable by the type of map that you implement it in. It's really not my problem if someone thinks it's unbalanced. There are tons of counters to this ability at the moment, so I think it's fair.

Is the balancing of the spell judged?

Level 9
My spell practically consists of 2 different spells, so I was wondering if I should organize them into 2 triggers or just stuff them into 1 trigger. It would be quite hard to make sense out of them if I did the latter, but is it still preferrable to have the whole thing in 1 trigger? Or should I rely on my own opinion of this matter? Thx.

Level 3
I'm in, and here is what i've put together;

FrostBurn

Summons the elemental spirits to destroy surrounding enemies
If the user is under the effect of fire, the elements become enraged!
Damage and AoE increase with level

Level 1 - 70 damage, 300 AoE
Level 2 - 140 damage, 325 AoE
Level 3 - 210 damage, 350 AoE

Discussion:
At it's simplest, FrostBurn is and Area of Effect spell, which damages enemy units in the surrounding area in a frost-nova style effect. However, it can build on your hero's other skills, or through co-operation with other units into a slightly different beast.

When the hero has a particular buff (Such as immolation in the case of the Blood Elf in the demo, and Inner Fire in the case of the Archmage) the spell is transformed into a larger area of effect, although it deals less damage.

This means it can make the hero stand-alone (elf) of more powerful when paired with other units (Archmage)

The spell has three "strengths" in terms of special effects; changing one of the constants at the start lets this scale across however many levels of the spell you use

If you change the constants to change the area of effect, the special effects scale with them. This includes the incremental increase of AoE per level.

Features:
  • I have tried to make this JESP standard
  • You can easily customise damage, AoE, the models used to create the effects and many other features
  • You can easily customise the spell to ignore certain unittypes (such as mechanical, hero, undead, etc.
  • The spell can have any number of levels, and the spell special effects will scale evenly across those levels (as long as you change the fb_MaxLevel constant)
  • You can easily change which ability Id and Buff Id start the effect and switch it to the alternate form
  • Dont like Frost vs Fire? Change it to Holy vs Unholy! you can just replace the effect model strings in teh constants at the top of the script
  • Set in Kixer's Spell Map Template 1.2 so you can test it against a variety of situations

Cheers all! Any feedback would be welcome (particularly if you find a bug that I can fix)

P.S. in terms of "polish" - do you know how hard it is to find a blizzard icon with both Blue and Red in it? lol.

Attachments

• Frostburn Submission 1.0.w3x
    106.4 KB · Views: 159
Level 25
Submission:
Elemental Smite
The wrath of the elements hits and area in full fury, striking those above the caster with powerful bolts of lightning and breaking the earth underneath those beneath you, damaging and slowing them.
Lightning deals high instant damage to all the enemies in a region with a bit of splash.
Rocks deal large splash damage in an area and reduce movement speed for some time.

[slow pcs: lag warning when casting on a tightly-packed cluster of enemies. im running a celeron 850 and it just stops for about 0.2 seconds, so it shouldn't be a problem though]

Features:
-GUI
-MUI
-Easy to install, use and customise

Attachments

• Zephyr3ElementalSmite.w3x
    22.5 KB · Views: 113
Level 8
Sorry to say that I must resign from this competition; JASS proved too confusing for me, so I have chosen to seek help in trying to work out problems with my spell idea. Anyway, this is my formal resignation. I withdraw myself from Zephyr Challenge #3 entirely and realize fully that should I choose to submit anything after receiving aforementioned aid, I will be subject to the full wrath and fury of the Hive Workshop community.

Well, that should do it. Anyway, sad to have to quit, but understanding is, after all, much more important than winning. Good job so far and good luck to everyone!

Level 40
Hey Purple Poot,i see that everyone is submitting 3 level spells
There is no specification about that in the rules
And if I make a multiple level spell,will it count at my score?
It doesn't matter if you have 1 level, 999 levels, 16 levels, 3 levels, or anything else.

However, you'll see it in your score if you do/don't make the spell easy to switch the levels of, as daelin said.

Well, daelin, I don't think his'll be JESP (or JASS), but even so, hermit, the easier it is to use without having to recode it, the better. (ie if I change the levels in the object editor to 5, it would ideally work with 5 levels)

Level 16
Here's my spell, just in time :).

Ancient Spirit Wolves

The caster summons a pack of ancient spirit wolves to tear down your enemies and protect your allies.

MUI, Jass, 3 levels, easy to configurate. Hope you like it :). (I used pitzermikes pathability check and kattanas handle vars)

Attachments

• Zephyr 3 spell contest v4.w3x
    28.3 KB · Views: 164
Level 9
Heres my submission.

Name: Open Grounds

Short Description: Cracks the ground wide open either causing flaming rocks to burst out of it or surrounding waters to stream into it.

Requires: JassNewGenPack (globals block & structs)

I'll let my map do the rest of the talking :)

Attachments

• Open Grounds.w3x
    55 KB · Views: 145
Level 16
Heh, looks very nice Discipleoflife :). I liked the effects, on the other hand the nice looking effects were quite laggy :p. In some cases 2 casts at the same time was enough for big lag, but 3 casts at the same time is 100% quaranteed mega lag :p.

Last edited:
Level 9
My spell is designed to be an ultimate, so it is rarely casted twice simultaneously ;)

(If you try my spell without looking at it (so u wont see the dozens of sfx's) you'll notice that the coding isnt responsible of much of the lag (maybe 1/3 of the lag I would say))
[EDIT]Erhm, what Im trying to say is that 2/3 of the lag is imo caused by the sfx's, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Level 40
Alright, I'll have a poll up soon, guys, but I won't post the results of the contest until after the poll is over, just in case of bias.

[off-topic]The ! button you mention in your signature is Report Post, disciple. The box with a checkmark and an x to the left of your rep is the rep adder :p[/off-topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.