• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #2 - Divine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Good idea whith the allies! But I can't figure out how to make it only heal units owned by the player casting spell whithin range, it's one or the other, as far as I can see. Either range or owner. You couldn't help me out here, if it's not against the rules, or something... :emote_sad:

I will not do it for you, since I am in this contest as well, but sure I can help.

• Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 150.00 of (Position of (Triggering unit))) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Picked unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to (((Life of (Picked unit)) + (Life of (Picked unit))) + ((Mana of Caster) / 2.00))
        • Else - Actions
          • Do nothing
Then simply increase the range for each level. I am thinking to make this a better spell you should start out with it healing more, and then as it gets further away heal less. Ditch the whole mana of the caster thing.

Last edited:
Level 14
the healing is done "on the cross" because the dummy units forming it have a custom healing ward ability... resurrection is done on circular AoE

its done on purpose because angels are the ones resurrecting, and cross is healing ^_^

Level 18
EDIT: Have fixed it now, uploading new version of it now, also saw that the Spell name was taken, so made a new one...

I will look forward to testing it this time. Hopefully everything works correctly this time :emote_huh:.

the healing is done "on the cross" because the dummy units forming it have a custom healing ward ability... resurrection is done on circular AoE

its done on purpose because angels are the ones resurrecting, and cross is healing ^_^

I see. Well nonetheless this is a good submission. Good luck!

Level 2
This is quite a stacked ability, my friend! But it also has major faults

Well, let's see...

You get control of a mass amount of enemy units, severely unbalancing a game

Depends on the game. I make AoS maps and thus designed it from that standpoint. So you get a full spawn wave of what.. 5-6 units, maybe?

Further throwing off the balance, these new units can attack 2 times as fast, mowing down any remaining enemy units

Yes, they attack twice as fast, taking less damage, meaning you have more to deal with when you lose control if you cant get rid of them. It actually balances them more. Your statement here implies that the effect is permanent, which it is not. It is diminishing returns at best, the timer starts when you begin the spell, it's not 30 seconds once converted.

In game, you would get control of these units and ALSO get control of how much food they cost--meaning if it was too much your upkeep would go up, and you may not be able to make any more units if you max it out until the spell was over

Outside of a melee game, which this spell is obviously not meant for, this is a trivial concern at best. I cant imagine a realistic setting where you could gain 100 food worth of units in 30 seconds. You are stationary until you stop channeling, and at that point, the conversion stops.

The special effect of Conversion appears over enemy Heroes as well, though it does not convert them (thank God or this would be unbelievably stacked :emote_razz: )

Yep, any unit within range will contemplate a change of faith, but Hero's have enough willpower to resist. If you read the buff tip, it states "this unit is considering a change of faith". But since it was such a simple edit, I changed the buff to non-hero as well.

This is a neat looking and super powerful ability

Thanks.

Level 10
Yea cool ability zwan. Im contemplating making my spell not target a unit but affect 2/4/6 with the plague immediantly when cast. Glad to see this contest filling up!

Level 18
Sorry Zwan, I still just think that it could use a few fixes in those categories. (Esp. the food thing, but I don't know if that could be fixed)

But when you raise the point that this spell is not made for melee type games (As mine was intended, but not limited, for) I see the reason for the power of the spell. It makes more sense to me now.

Mephisto I will test yours later, I have to go for now.

Level 10
This may be a stupid question but:
To remove special effect leaks your suppose to

• Special Effect - Destroy (Last Created Special Effect)
But when i do that right after i create a special effect it doesnt even show the special effect, so should i have a wait before i destroy it, if so wouldnt i have to use variables because another special effect could be made during the wait....?

Level 10
So variables are needed? Alright, my spell should be updated momentarily.

Level 18
Yes, Gost, Global Variables must be used, unless you want to use some custom script and create local variables which is much more efficient in making a Multi-Instanceable spell.

Mephisto: Your spell is much better now. Congratulations. I'm not sure how you got your special effects to work when destroying them right after they are made, but nice! This spell works much better now. I think it was brilliant to use a 7x scaled dummy unit to get the giant Resurrection effects at the end.

Level 2
yea.. dont want it to be out of balance for all those tag and mini game maps!

Level 12
This is my entry for the Contest. It is done right now, but I am toying with another little idea for it. I am submitting it now because I am not sure if it is legal on the rules. I made it to be a defensive ability but some may interperet it as offensive. If the maker of this challenge says it is not allowed, I guess I will have to come up with another idea :emote_sad: . Now for the spell.

Divine Intervention.

The most blessed of Paladins can have their prayers answered by the lord and will be granted a group of Guardian Angels to protect him from any who attack him. The Angels will continue to protect until the Paladin stops praying.
(Not actual tool-tip.)

It is meant to be an ultimate. The stats are all their and written in GUI so most people can tamper with it and adjust it to whatever they need. They can up the damage the angels do and all sorts of things with the spells. I think it is MUI, please correct me if I am wrong. I will post screenies soon. Also, this is my first GUI spell so it is probably not super flashy and sweet like everyone elses. Not an excuse, I am just telling you. It is still a working good spell that serves the purpose I made it for though.

Attachments

• Zephyr Spell Contest Entry.w3x
    121.8 KB · Views: 66
Level 7
Contest Entry

Huh, i finally made my spell:

Divine Call

The Paladin's devotion reaches a level where his prayers can call God's aid for one of his comrades in battle. Those who were called by God to the Heavens, will take off hovering into the air and become ethereal for an amount of time so only the most evil creatures can harm them and they can be healed with greater effect. The call of God forbids the called person to attack and the half-heavenly state of him results in being more sensitive to certain spells, even offensive ones casted by the enemy. Although the Paladin does his best to extend this state as long as he can, he can not ask for letting his comrade be with God forever. After a short time, the called unit returns back to the battle. If God already called a person to Heaven, the Paladin will only heal the target.

Level 1 - 100 mana, lasts 10 seconds or heals 150 hitpoints.
Level 2 - 90 mana, lasts 15 seconds or heals 300 hitpoints.
Level 3 - 80 mana, lasts 20 seconds or heals 450 hitpoints.

Credit: Chocobo @ thehelper.net (and his Abilites Guide Tutorial) for the crow-form-add-remove-adjust-fly-height shit.

Hmm... Divine enough, isn't it? :) It' totally non-MUI because it's a Hero Ability (replancing the Paladin's Holy Light)

This is how the tactics should go: if a unit injures, cast Divine Call on it so it becomes un-attackable (for units with non-Chaos attacks). Then, cast another DC on it so it will heal (that's why I nerfed the heal a litle bit in comparison to the Holy Light - because ethereal units are healed with greater effect) Also you can use some Priests to increase the speed of healing.

Anyway, if the enemy has a Paladin and you too, and if the enemy Pala casted a DC on one of his units, you can only heal.

Screenshots will be uploaded soon.

EDIT: Uploaded the screenshots. The last 2 ones are taken from Leak Check.

Attachments

• divine_call_test_map_by_Katu.w3x
    17 KB · Views: 88
  • divinecall_lift_1.jpg
    divinecall_lift_1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 141
  • divinecall_lift_2.jpg
    divinecall_lift_2.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 134
  • divinecall_lift_3_lifted.jpg
    divinecall_lift_3_lifted.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 99
  • divinecall_lift_4-5_upper.jpg
    divinecall_lift_4-5_upper.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 95
  • divinecall_lift_6-7_priest.jpg
    divinecall_lift_6-7_priest.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 93
  • divinecall_lift_8_heal.jpg
    divinecall_lift_8_heal.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 121
  • leak1.jpg
    leak1.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 132
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thanks, 1)ark_NiTe! :emote_grin:
About the x7 Dummy, all the dummies are about the size of the range of the spell, so it's a kinda pre-thingy before the actual spell... :emote_razz:
I think the reason that I could destroy the special effect right after is because some special Effects never go away, like auras and the ones i have, I was just lucky that in the end of the animation it doesn't show :emote_smile:
Katu; Thats Spell looks awsome! :emote_clap: . can't wait to get home and try it out! :emote_dribble:

Level 10
Here's my entry:

Spiritual Bond:
View attachment Spiritual Bond.w3x

Binds the souls of the caster and a friendly non-hero target unit together, increasing the rate at which the units replenish their health by 0.50. Each time one of the units is hurt by a blow strong enough to kill the unit, the other unit will suffer the damage instead, as long as it has enough health to survive the blow. Both units cannot come farther than 1000 range away from each other while under the effect of Spiritual Bond. Lasts 30 seconds.

It is a kind of spirit link, just in a different(and funny way)

As the spell says the units cannot move more than 1000 range away from each other, allowing the units to drag each other:emote_grin: .

100% MUI
Should be 100% leakless.
Follows the JESP standard.

Edit: for some reason the link didn't work before.

Last edited:
Level 11
1)ark_NiTe, if you're going to use JASS, I'd suggest taking advantage of it. You're using a few unnecessary BJ functions as well as nulling some variables more than you need to. Here's my suggestions:

-Most importantly, I've found some leaks in your code. These leaks are mostly group leaks. In the Dies trigger, you have "Pick every unit in Units within 900 of position of triggering unit". This leaks both a group and a location as the "Units within 900 of point" is a group and "position of triggering unit" is a location. Later in the trigger, you're creating a dummy unit at "position of triggering unit" and this again is another leak.

-You're using "A unit Begins casting an ability". Instead, you want to use "A unit Starts the effect of an ability". The first one goes off before the unit actually casts the ability and spends mana. The second event goes off when the unit actually starts the effect of the spell and spends mana on it.

-Just in case you may have forgot, you only need to null a handle variable once, and this should be done after you're done setting it to values.

-DestroyEffectBJ just calls DestroyEffect and does nothing else. Just remove the 'BJ' from the end of that specific function and you're avoiding an unnecessary call (and making the code slightly more understandable).

-The GetLastCreatedEffectBJ function just returns the Blizzard global variable bj_lastCreatedEffect. You can replace any of those function calls with bj_lastCreatedEffect.

-For local variables, you're able to create them and set them to a value in the same line. Take these two lines you have for example:
JASS:
local location EffectsandDummy
   set EffectsandDummy = GetUnitLoc(GetTriggerUnit())
These two lines could and should be combined into a single line:
JASS:
local location EffectsandDummy = GetUnitLoc(GetTriggerUnit())
-The idea of these spell contests is to allow you to learn more. If you're up for challenging yourself a bit more, I have some suggestions for you. First, try to set all the special effect variables entirely in JASS. This will save a line of code since you can both create the effect and set it to the variable all in one line. If you're really out to challenge yourself, I see no reason as to why you couldn't code the "Spell" trigger entirely in JASS. Already half of the code is in JASS, and the trigger isn't particularly complicated to begin with.

WooT! A spell competition! Count me in! :thunbsup:

Hmm... I'm still wondering what to do; though luckily I know quite a bit of JASS so this shouldn't take too long to complete whatever it is.

Well, I'm in, though I wish it could be offensive because I had this awesome shield idea and it would pwn some spells.

Anyways, expect a spell from me soon. :wink:

Level 12
Can't pwn my uber offensive sheild thing. Lol mine is so sweet and flashy. Anyone who attacks the cas....... what the heck. You guys try it anyways. It may be falshy but it's kinda fun if you set the damage to high and mass enemy units to see them get uber pwned.

Level 11
Personally, I don't like people who brag about their spell. Hopefully you didn't mean to be like this, but that's beside the point.

Back on topic now, here's some comments on your spell:

-You have memory leaks that you need to clean. Every time you use (Position of unit) you're leaking a location. To fix this, you create a point variable and set it to the position you are going to use. After you are done using that specific position, you need to remove the location with using a little bit of JASS. I won't go into detail on that as there are tutorials on various sites to help you with them. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a memory leak tutorial on this site, so here's a link to one at wc3campaigns.net.

-Each of the different effects in your spell is in a different trigger. You can and should put each of these effects inside one trigger to increase readability and to reduce the amount of triggers that need to be copied.

-Most of the effects in your spell aren't triggered, but instead are regular unit abilities. What I would suggest is that you try and trigger each one of the effects you used. There are definite advantages to this. First off, the spell will be easier to implement in a map because only a trigger will need to be copied instead of multiple units and spells as well. Second, you will become more familiar with triggering which is what contests like these are supposed to help you with. And third, what you do will be able to be customized in more depth than you could do alone in the object editor.

I wish you luck in the contest. If at any time during the contest you need help, feel free to ask around in the triggering forums.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the spell tooltip should have more information on what the spell does. You want people to be able to understand what the spell is doing.

Last edited:
Level 12
I thank you for your review on it, but Dark said it will not be accepted so I am working on a new and much less flashy idea. I wasn't trying to brag about my spell; I know that there are many much better spells. I am new to this so I am just trying to get the hang of triggering spells still. About combining triggers, I would do that with a check then use multiple actions right? I would, but any trigger that says Multiple Actions will only let me set the conditions, not the actions. The word actions is all greyed out and I can't do anything to it. I understand what you said about doing all my effects in triggers and I agree with you. Perhaps I will redo this spell and submit it again. That way it will be better and I actually can be really proud of it. =) Also I will work on those leaks. Thanks for all the points on what I need to fix.

Level 18
1)ark_NiTe, if you're going to use JASS, I'd suggest taking advantage of it. You're using a few unnecessary BJ functions as well as nulling some variables more than you need to. Here's my suggestions:

Thank you Wyrm, I have done much of this now! But I sent you a message on what I didn't quite understand, I hope you can help and respond in time! :grin: Thank you again.

Level 9
I have to agree, it does seem to be eye candy orientated ( i expressed my oppinion earlier in the thread ) but i will still participate non the less.

Level 9
I hope so too, but you cant expect people in general to do more than look at eye candy...

Level 1
My spell is Purify Spirits
When the arch dark knight kills a unit. The dying unit becomes a corrupt soul. Using the spell "Purify Spirits" from the arch paladin you can turn the soul back to what they use to be. The unit will only last 30 secs. To the left of the arch paladin is bunch of corrupt souls and to the right is arch dark knight kicking some... well you get the point.
(tell me what you think of it sry no screen shot)

Attachments

• Zephyr Challenge #2 Purify Spirits.w3x
    19.8 KB · Views: 58
Level 3
Spell Completed!

I have completed my spell for the contest.
The title is Greater Sanctuary
It is MUI (edit: but only one hero from each player can cast it), and programmed in GUI
It should be leak free.

The spell creates a protective aura around the Paladin, bolstering allies defenses and regenerating their health. All enemies who attempt to enter the sacred space will be silenced and slowed. As the level of the spell increases, the santuary gains new abilities, including the power to ressurect and boost armor.

Attachments

• Sanctuary - Zephyr Contest #2 Entry.w3x
    35.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.