• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zephyr Challenge #2 - Divine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Greetings everyone!

Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

Zephyr Challenge #2

icons_20_btn.jpg
Like in the previous Zephyr Challenge your goal will be to prove you're a worthy and creative spell maker meanwhile having fun and respecting other people's their work. The Zephyr Challenge is not only a challenge, but also the opportunity to receive constructive feedback, and/or improving your skills.

Like the previous Zephyr Challenge, this one shall also have a theme. Based on that theme you may proceed to create any spell based on it, as long as it follows the rules below.

The theme of this challenge shall be:

Divine

Your spell must target one or more units, including the caster himself if you want.

What are divine spells?
Divine spells tend to focus on healing and protection. They tend to be less flashy, destructive or disruptive.

Rules:
  1. The theme is followed by a brief explanation over the effect of the spell. Follow that explanation because the name of the challenge does not always explain what you have to do.
  2. You may use either GUI or JASS. Third party tools are allowed. If you use any, mention WHICH tool and from WHERE everyone could get it.
  3. You may use any systems you want (that includes Caster System, Armor Detection System and SetUnitMaxState System).
  4. You may not use custom textures or models for anything else but the effect of the spell. The effect must be entirely made by you (or Blizzard).
  5. The spell must be made specifically for the contest (you may use it anywhere else but you must have started it only after the challenge begins).
  6. WIPs are encouraged as they increase the activity of the challenge.
  7. Attach your map to a post into this thread once you have finished it.
  8. Maps may be modified it as often as contestants want but maps edited after the deadline will be disqualified.

Prize:
[tr][TD]
The winner of this Zephyr Challenge shall receive:
  • An official medal beneath their avatar
  • 40 reputation points
[/TD][/tr]

Judging:
  • 100% of the score is to be determined by a public poll.
  • Failure to give good reasons why a person voted for a certain spell shall make the vote invalid.
  • Contestants are also allowed to vote but may not vote for their own spell.

Deadline:
  • 20 May 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT)
Good luck & have fun.

~- Heero

Last edited:
Level 19
One question, you mention Divine as healing/protective, does this mean we are only allowed to make Defensive/supporting or are spells which has some offensive effect allowed?
Like I mentioned before :
Divine spells tend to focus on healing and protection. They tend to be less flashy, destructive or disruptive.
-> This includes no offensive spells, since this is not reffering to any holy spell that could possibly damage an undead.

so no AoE or self-cast (like divine shield) spells?
Your spell must target one or more units, including the caster himself if you want.
-> This may include also to target AoE, but it will need to affect possibly units in that AoE.

Level 9
Finally another spell contest! I just hope i get my new PC in time so i can make my Spell...
Question :
Why are there no rewards for 2nd or 3rd place? Seems kinda hash saying, congradulations on coming Second! And nothing else, no rep ect... Maybe 20 rep for 2nd place and 10 for 3rd?

Level 19
This is just an awakening, Zepyhr Challenge #3 will include more options.
Like you see This Zephyr Challenge has been evolved.
ZC #1 granted +25 reputation and 1 icon.
ZC #2 will grant +40 reputation and 1 icon.
ZC #3 will grant a better bonus, to even a secondary and third place.
In a kind of way this is also to see how much talent is here, and who has been awakened to work.

P.S : Please PM questions to me.

Level 6
It's not really a double post... you can't add attachments to posts once you've already submitted them as far as I know... And why can't we have 2 ideas? If worst comes to worse you can just make another account and submit one idea on that one, but really what's the point?

Level 8
Idc how bad i get blown away by some of the other contestants, contests are about fun, it'll be nice to get feedback on my spell from more than one person...I'm in :D

Level 5
yeah i guess ill go in if i have time to make it

but when u say divine do u mean ur restricting it to healing and protection only? and if so could i make a spell thats like that but has an undead base so i could make a spell called chaos aura that has evil look but still heals protects etc? (plz note im not actually gonna make chaos aura...)

Level 10
Thats a lot of rep, im in if i have enough time definently!\
EDIT: We can only have 1 spell? Hmmm that limits alot of things i was hoping to make a hero but il start working on a spell.

Level 14
Damn. I guess I wont be entering :). On a side note: bad idea. This is more of a popularity contest now. "Noobies" will disregard clearly better spells and vote for their favorite person (but who says a "pro" wouldnt do the same).

I find it better, because original concept can give you a lot of points and it isn't a witch hunt "OMG LEAK UR OUT OF THE PLACE KEK

Level 9
Jacek the thing is is that many people will judge the spell solely on what it looks like in game, having experianced spell makers checking for leaks or badly done code is much better and fairer, also the whole favorites things would be an issue.

Level 14
Jacek the thing is is that many people will judge the spell solely on what it looks like in game, having experianced spell makers checking for leaks or badly done code is much better and fairer, also the whole favorites things would be an issue.
so you think that someone makes a spell, which is a triggered Holy Light, everything same, leaks cleared, so this should win flawlessly with my spell for example because I forgot to clear one leak in the function I don't know I have?

there are many factors that make spell "good", concept and eyecandy are two of them, of course coding/triggering is also important.

Level 9
Im not saying that the others are important, its just that people may just look at the spell in game and not bother looking at the coding/triggering,
and that Holy Light would get a 0 for origionality!

Level 6
Here we go. I hope simple is nice. I cant get better idea with this hard subject..

http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/files_img/spells_943_screenshot.jpg

Spell name:
Touch of the Angels

Description:
Touch of the Angels is ability known only by the greatest paladins. Its divine power heals nearby allies withing range of 500 around the hero. While the skill heals allies when activated it also drains paladins mana.

Description(to simplify):
Heals nearby units around hero while draining mana same time.

Download link:
http://hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/spells/943

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
(you may use it anywhere else but you must have started it only after the challenge begins).
I did start the abilities after the contest started... Oh well, too much of a hassle, too many rules I don't like, public voting, guess I'm out. Deleted my suggestion post.

Level 10
A great way to avoid popularity votes would be for the spell makers not to say wich spell they made but instead all spell makers send there maps t mod wich namelessly lists them to be voted on.

Level 13
I might enter this just to try it out. As far as the rule on importing goes. I could import a 5x5 white texture as long as its made by me correct? I would use it for an effect on a unit after a spell has been cast on them. Also, are we limited to making only one spell? Because I really wanted to make more than just one.
Also, are icon imports allowed? (I would make my own of course)

Level 13
Kk. I worked on mine a little. I like the spell idea its just the mechanics of it that are causing a little trouble. The effects arent quite right yet but the ability itself works. Heres a wip image.

About the spell:

Holy Flood
Calls upon the power of the lord to flood the land around the Hero for 30 seconds. The flood waters slow enemy troops movement speed by 35% and heal allied troops.

The effects:
Light comes from the sky and touches the ground in a circle around the hero
After the light touches the ground the terrain raises
slowly the flood water raises within the surrounded area
Enemy units within the flood water area are slowed
Allied units within the flood area are healed
Units that leave the flood area gain no bonus

Attachments

• Spell.JPG
    Spell.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 153
Level 12
Wow, there is a lot of entries already, and the deadline is still 17 days away. can't wait to see more, and hopefully I'll get mine done too.

@Herio: You can change the terrain with triggers?!?!? Is it possible in GUI? If so, please tell me, I would love to learn that. Overall, the ability sounds cool.

Level 8
lol so will mine. I came up with my best idea ever, and ill probly never have another stroke of genius like this again.

Level 9
Multi Unit Instanceable or sumthing like that o_O
means it can be cast by an unlimited amount of units belonging to the same player at the same time.

I've got my idea, just hope sumone dusnt use it before me...

Status
Not open for further replies.