• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You've got to be kidding me -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Wow. This is the worst modification to the chat ever. Seriously, I don't see any point in this feature, and it's really annoying. It makes it very hard to have a conversation, and it's frustrating to have to type out your messages again and wait 10 seconds to say them.

Remove this now, please. -.-"

Attachments

• .....jpg
    .....jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 270
Level 14
Just talk slower, everyone has the same limit. It gives the chat a reasonable pace to follow and keeps users from spamming quite effectively (It saved us a lot of pain last night during the American elections). You can retrieve your lost messages by hitting Control+Z, too, so there's really no problem.

Level 22
Just talk slower, everyone has the same limit. It gives the chat a reasonable pace to follow and keeps users from spamming quite effectively (It saved us a lot of pain last night during the American elections). You can retrieve your lost messages by hitting Control+Z, too, so there's really no problem.

Talk slower.. Lol, perhaps worst solution.
Make the thing go away, it [Censored] me off to. Its annoying, and theres no reason to make people talk slower.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Actually, I'd like to point out the irony of this idea. Whilst most users, like myself, try to keep things on one line, most of Ralle's quotes -- and general conversations within the chat -- span more than one line, and are sent rather quickly, too.

I can understand that it's an attempt to keep the spam down, but I think we should attempt to look for alternate solutions, if any.

Level 14
Ralle's chat is limited just like ours is, so I don't see where you get off soloing him out in this regard. In any case, this is something that doesn't impede chat if you take a reasonable amount of time to think before you speak. God knows we all could use to do that more often than we do presently.

Level 36
Hi. I think better moderation would beat out a dumb system like this any day.

Because you're too lazy to solve the problem based around our lack of chat moderators, you developed this idiotic system that hinders those who genuinely want to hold a quick conversation.

By infringing on the rights of the rule-abiding you manage to cut down those who don't. But at what cost?

Level 13
By infringing on the rights of the rule-abiding you manage to cut down those who don't. But at what cost?

Freedom, Intelligence, Enjoyment, Trust, and any hope for quick conversations??

To be honest, I'd rather have some nutcase spamming "PENIS" over and over again with no mods than what we have now. No, I'm being completely serious. At least you can ignore the nutcase. You can't ignore this.

Level 36
Well, that's the reason for this system. Recently we've been having some spam and flamestorm issues in chat, so this system was put in place to try and moderate the chat without having to make moderators actually do their jobs.

I really wish the Chat Mod's Tavern was still around so that we could discuss shit like this before it gets implemented >.>

Level 35
This is rather annoying, considering that the majority of us are relatively fast typers, and tend to use more than one line.

I myself am guilty of this to a certain extent, and we can't exactly change our habits in mere seconds, especially after being veered off course into a rather slow blockade.

I think that this should be removed, or at the least modified to allow some decent typing to occur.

This is probably going to go on the list of disliked/failed chat modifications. The worst of which, being the "rep" filter, and "gay" filter.

It is rather annoying. And I agree, it might be a good idea if it was removed. Or perhaps if the chat moderators could toggle it if the chatroom gets spammed.
But until it's changed or removed try to put as much text in to one message at a time. For example. Instead of this:

[16-00-29]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: Well
[16-00-36]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: It's not that you are a moron
[16-00-49] You are talking the ears off these people. Please talk slower.
[16-00-59]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: It's just that your intelligence really lacks
[16-01-06] You are talking the ears off these people. Please talk slower.
[16-01-16]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: And you act very immature in the forums.

Type something like this:

[16-00-29]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: Well, it's not that you are a moron.
[16-00-42]
rankmod.gif
Hawkwing: It's just that your intelligence really lacks and you act very immature in the forums.

Level 14
brad.dude03 said:
Because you're too lazy to solve the problem based around our lack of chat moderators, you developed this idiotic system that hinders those who genuinely want to hold a quick conversation.
We could hand out chat moderation powers to everyone, but wait, not everyone can be on at all times! Hot damned, what a crazy idea! Bet you didn't see that one coming, did'ja? But seriously, even if we handed out more positions, this would still be an issue.

We can increase the 'spam blocker' to one more tick per time frame, which would likely fix all of your problems and still achieve the effect we wanted. It's something that must be tested and calibrated, and perhaps the preliminary tests indicate that it could use to have a slightly higher threshold.

brad.dude03 said:
Well, that's the reason for this system. Recently we've been having some spam and flamestorm issues in chat, so this system was put in place to try and moderate the chat without having to make moderators actually do their jobs.

I really wish the Chat Mod's Tavern was still around so that we could discuss shit like this before it gets implemented >.>
That would have changed nothing, this sort of testing would still be necessary and either the spam filter would be useless or too vicious regardless if a bunch of staff members could have bickered about it first or not. Be realistic, Brad.

Now chill, the lot of you. We'll tweak it, but we're not removing it.

Level 13
I disagree Rising_Dusk, this is pretty much teaching people to completely forget about the IGNORE command.

Spammers getting to you? IGNORE THEM!!! It's not that freaking difficult.

/ignore username

Now was that so hard?

It's a useless feature that needs to go.

Level 13
It wouldn't even be 80%.

Does the chat get spammy from time to time? Yes, it does, but not usually. As far as I'm concerned, this system wasn't implemented until last night while everyone was celebrating Obama's election which of course, would lead to a bit of overreaction, hell even I went a bit overboard.

Besides, if it's for convenience, then why the hell isn't there a "Don't show me this page again" option for the chat rule page? I don't think I need to be reminded everytime I go to chat.

Level 10
Seriously, this thing only does it's job once in awhile. However, if there was a way to turn it on/off, and it was only used in very spammy situations, then yes I support the feature because it's not a hassle all the time anymore.

Level 13
Agreed, I wouldn't hate this piece of garbage feature if it didn't go off every other post. It's damning the many because of the actions of the few.

The solution is simple. Just make it so it silences you for an hour if you post 10 lines in very rapid succession, like 45 seconds.

Level 12
Does this mean that all those kids roleplaying vampires, werewolves, or whatever bullshit, will take more time to pretend they're biting someone?

Level 13
Does this mean that all those kids roleplaying vampires, werewolves, or whatever bullshit, will take more time to pretend they're biting someone?

Nice, way to base that entire argument on crap that never happens in the chat. You really like acting like you're all adult-like and everyone else is a bunch of immature brats, don't you?

I spend a lot of time in chat, and NOT ONCE have I ever seen crap like that going on. People who do tend to do that keep it to themselves most of the time or take it somewhere else, I've never seen it in chat, you're just grasping at straws.

Level 12
Nice, way to base that entire argument on crap that never happens in the chat. You really like acting like you're all adult-like and everyone else is a bunch of immature brats, don't you?

I spend a lot of time in chat, and NOT ONCE have I ever seen crap like that going on. People who do tend to do that keep it to themselves most of the time or take it somewhere else, I've never seen it in chat, you're just grasping at straws.

Lets not grasp at the concept of time zones, or active hours.

Aggressively coming at me because you've never seen something that I have sounds like a much better idea.

Level 13
Ok, show it to me. Show me these vampire and werewolves roleplaying thing you say is so prominent.

And honestly, make sure it's believable, I know all about just typing up a few lines of chat and saying it came straight from chat.

Level 12
Ok, show it to me. Show me these vampire and werewolves roleplaying thing you say is so prominent.

And honestly, make sure it's believable, I know all about just typing up a few lines of chat and saying it came straight from chat.

If we both spend time in the chat room, but never see each other, does that mean one of us doesn't exist? I hope you can see the errors of your 'thinking'.

Consider yourself lucky that Poot arrived before I had submitted my response, as I was aiming to make you feel all the more stupid for saying the things you said.

Level 40
I'd say this is ideal as a temporary measure until moderation in the chat is self-sufficient, and spam can be judged by a human and not an algorithm. Until then, it's fine (to me anyhow, talking on wc3 for years has gotten me used to anti-flood), at least assuming Ralle makes it so that your message isn't lost if it fails to be sent the first time (as you can often lose a lot of text that way).

Level 21
LULZ I R SO KEWL I KAN KUM UP WIT WITTEE RET0RTZ

Wow. This is the worst modification to the chat ever. Seriously, I don't see any point in this feature, and it's really annoying. It makes it very hard to have a conversation, and it's frustrating to have to type out your messages again and wait 10 seconds to say them.

Remove this now, please. -.-"

I just skimmed through this argument, so pardon any misinterpretations

What the FUCK does people talking about pretending to be vampires in chat have ANYTHING to do with this post?

Level 12
I was implying that even vampire roleplay chat would take longer with the new chat message limit. It kind of flew over all of your heads.

And Istari just has a thumb up his butt.

Level 13
If we both spend time in the chat room, but never see each other, does that mean one of us doesn't exist? I hope you can see the errors of your 'thinking'.

I'd have also heard of this if I wasn't around, you'd be surprised at how much people gossip about each other in chat. Not to mention I see you quite often in chat so naturally, I would've most likely been around for this. Chat is usually not as chaotic as you make it out to be.

Consider yourself lucky that Poot arrived before I had submitted my response, as I was aiming to make you feel all the more stupid for saying the things you said.

Making me feel stupid? I'd like to see you try, seeing as your responses are almost always "LOL IMMATURE TEENAGERS DOIN' ST00F I R T3H ADULTZORZ" on discussions about the site.

Oh, and I see that you've yet to back up your claims of this crap happening. So it's just your word against mine.

EDIT:

And Istari just has a thumb up his butt.

Better than having my entire head up my ass like you do.

Level 40
WILL, the vampire roleplay was spammy. Really spammy.

The entire chat window was green, pretty much.

And Istari, there are certain times of day when the chat is pretty bad, generally late at night when there is no moderation and yet still a significant amount of users, or the middle of the day.

Level 40
Indeed, but either way, that doesn't mean that spam doesn't exist just because the vampire roleplay only occured once.

However, human moderation is really ideal, so as soon as that can be achieved (though admittedly, it's easier said than done), it would be ideal if this were repealed. For now, just put up with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.