1. Music Contest #10 - Results are finally published! Drop by to check some retro songs and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Terraining Contest #19 and witness the aftermath!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 3rd Melee Mapping Contest is ON! Join in on a ride of a 4v4 melee experience!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice

You've got to be kidding me -.-

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by ~Void~, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wow. This is the worst modification to the chat ever. Seriously, I don't see any point in this feature, and it's really annoying. It makes it very hard to have a conversation, and it's frustrating to have to type out your messages again and wait 10 seconds to say them.

Remove this now, please. -.-"

Attached Files:

• .....jpg
      .....jpg
      File size:
      89.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since when do people read with their ears?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. Kwah

Kwah

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Erm, that is kind of fail if its a conversation between two fast typers. Perhaps something that limits the # of posts you can make in a row.

4. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just talk slower, everyone has the same limit. It gives the chat a reasonable pace to follow and keeps users from spamming quite effectively (It saved us a lot of pain last night during the American elections). You can retrieve your lost messages by hitting Control+Z, too, so there's really no problem.

5. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't like it, but there again I'm banned for the next 55 days so I don't really have much say in that matter :p

6. TheBlooddancer

TheBlooddancer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Talk slower.. Lol, perhaps worst solution.
    Make the thing go away, it [Censored] me off to. Its annoying, and theres no reason to make people talk slower.

7. The Last Istari

The Last Istari

Resources:
    Resources:
    Agreed, it really is pointless. I am an extremely fast typer, this just constantly screws me.

Honestly, who gave Ralle this idea? It wasn't very good.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    tru dat

9. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, I'd like to point out the irony of this idea. Whilst most users, like myself, try to keep things on one line, most of Ralle's quotes -- and general conversations within the chat -- span more than one line, and are sent rather quickly, too.

I can understand that it's an attempt to keep the spam down, but I think we should attempt to look for alternate solutions, if any.

10. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ralle's chat is limited just like ours is, so I don't see where you get off soloing him out in this regard. In any case, this is something that doesn't impede chat if you take a reasonable amount of time to think before you speak. God knows we all could use to do that more often than we do presently.

11. Grim

Grim

Resources:
    Resources:
    I suggest we remove it...

12. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hi. I think better moderation would beat out a dumb system like this any day.

Because you're too lazy to solve the problem based around our lack of chat moderators, you developed this idiotic system that hinders those who genuinely want to hold a quick conversation.

By infringing on the rights of the rule-abiding you manage to cut down those who don't. But at what cost?

13. The Last Istari

The Last Istari

Resources:
    Resources:
    Freedom, Intelligence, Enjoyment, Trust, and any hope for quick conversations??

To be honest, I'd rather have some nutcase spamming "PENIS" over and over again with no mods than what we have now. No, I'm being completely serious. At least you can ignore the nutcase. You can't ignore this.

14. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    tru dat.
    I visit the chat for at least 1 hour a day ... and sometimes it really pisses me off (i mean the 'talk slower' thingy) However i have no complains about the moderation there .. :D.

15. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, that's the reason for this system. Recently we've been having some spam and flamestorm issues in chat, so this system was put in place to try and moderate the chat without having to make moderators actually do their jobs.

I really wish the Chat Mod's Tavern was still around so that we could discuss shit like this before it gets implemented >.>

16. Elenai

Elenai

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This is rather annoying, considering that the majority of us are relatively fast typers, and tend to use more than one line.

I myself am guilty of this to a certain extent, and we can't exactly change our habits in mere seconds, especially after being veered off course into a rather slow blockade.

I think that this should be removed, or at the least modified to allow some decent typing to occur.

This is probably going to go on the list of disliked/failed chat modifications. The worst of which, being the "rep" filter, and "gay" filter.

17. Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please, remove it.

18. Hawkwing

Hawkwing

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is rather annoying. And I agree, it might be a good idea if it was removed. Or perhaps if the chat moderators could toggle it if the chatroom gets spammed.
    But until it's changed or removed try to put as much text in to one message at a time. For example. Instead of this:

[16-00-29] [​IMG] Hawkwing: Well
    [16-00-36] [​IMG] Hawkwing: It's not that you are a moron
    [16-00-49] You are talking the ears off these people. Please talk slower.
    [16-00-59] [​IMG] Hawkwing: It's just that your intelligence really lacks
    [16-01-06] You are talking the ears off these people. Please talk slower.
    [16-01-16] [​IMG] Hawkwing: And you act very immature in the forums.

Type something like this:

[16-00-29] [​IMG] Hawkwing: Well, it's not that you are a moron.
    [16-00-42] [​IMG] Hawkwing: It's just that your intelligence really lacks and you act very immature in the forums.

19. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk

Resources:
    Resources:
    We could hand out chat moderation powers to everyone, but wait, not everyone can be on at all times! Hot damned, what a crazy idea! Bet you didn't see that one coming, did'ja? But seriously, even if we handed out more positions, this would still be an issue.

We can increase the 'spam blocker' to one more tick per time frame, which would likely fix all of your problems and still achieve the effect we wanted. It's something that must be tested and calibrated, and perhaps the preliminary tests indicate that it could use to have a slightly higher threshold.

That would have changed nothing, this sort of testing would still be necessary and either the spam filter would be useless or too vicious regardless if a bunch of staff members could have bickered about it first or not. Be realistic, Brad.

Now chill, the lot of you. We'll tweak it, but we're not removing it.

20. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As long as you tweak it so that it doesn't interfere with normal conversation I'm fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.