• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Lirch has to go

Should Lirch be removed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I think I will have a lot of support when saying that we don't want that bot Lirch anymore. Yesterday, Pyritie actually had his welcomes message changed to a whisper message to go to a poll in one of the threads in his disposed Hosted Project forum. This was just crossing the limit, so it's obvious that Lirch just has to be removed. There's absolutely no use for it besides being an annoying spammer, which I don't think is what we want or need in the chat.

I think I will have a lot of support when saying that we don't want that bot Lirch anymore. Yesterday, Pyritie actually had his welcomes message changed to a whisper message to go to a poll in one of the threads in his disposed Hosted Project forum. This was just crossing the limit, so it's obvious that Lirch just has to be removed. There's absolutely no use for it besides being an annoying spammer, which I don't think is what we want or need in the chat.

I put the poll in that forum because it was one I had moderation powers over. That's the only reason.

The poll itself was about award icon borders, which is a topic that affects a lot of people so I wanted to get as many votes on the poll as I could.

Lirch's welcome message is back to normal now, by the way. :p

Level 18
DAA: He's the annoying bot on the chatroom that keeps bugging people with annoying messages and allows people to spam the chat with him.

Pyritie, that's no reason to let your bot lure people to your threads. That one might be removed now, but that bot is still an annoyance to many people and we have to ignore him every time we come online again. Also when the servers are down for a while and everyone rejoins, that makes him spam the entire chat with those stupid greetings.

stefan: If you talk to a bot when nobody is talking to you, you can also talk to nobody when there's no bot. Same result, same feeling.

This should make clear that Lirch is just useless and annoying.

Pyritie, that's no reason to let your bot lure people to your threads.
Sure it is. I would put it in SE but I didn't want two threads about the same thing in there.

That one might be removed now, but that bot is still an annoyance to many people and we have to ignore him every time we come online again. Also when the servers are down for a while and everyone rejoins, that makes him spam the entire chat with those stupid greetings.
His earliest log is from the 30th of June last year. If he's already gone a year, why stop now? People obviously like lirch enough for him to still be there.

stefan: If you talk to a bot when nobody is talking to you, you can also talk to nobody when there's no bot. Same result, same feeling.
Lirch used to have AI by the way. Ralle made me remove it because it was getting too spammy.

It was quite hilarious for a while though. xD

Level 18
People just don't post problems like this quickly. That's no proof that people like Lirch. I keep hearing people that Lirch is irritating and that they ignore him every time they come online.
And I know about the AI. Even though that was removed, the bot is still here causing nothing but trouble. And by trouble I mean people who use Lirch as an excuse to spam the chat.

Level 18
Well people go there by choice. On the chat, he have to ignore Lirch every time we log onto the chat, because the ignore list isn't saved for feature logins. If ignores are saved, I wouldn't be bothered unless people spam because of Lirch, without using Lirch...

Level 35
Well, ignoring it every time wouldn't make much sense, as the spammy welcome messages are all you have to face in 99% of the encounters, and I don't think anything besides Xarwin's welcome message bothers anyone.

Lirch is one of the many things that make no sense, but people like it. It's still better if people live out their spammy tendencies in Lirch's profile than in other users'.

Level 18
Yes, but that's no reason to keep Lirch on the chat. Like I said before: When there's a server reset, everybody rejoins and the entire page is spammed with his retarded messages.

Also, there are a lot of annoying spamming welcomes messages. I got a list of those messages, so let me quote some:
OHMAFIG
LEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEENKIIIIIIINS
It smells like dead dads around these parts.... something fugly joined D:
Sho_Op Da Wo_OP
GRABBIN PEELZ!!!
Please.. Someone, KILL me!..
Kaitech is a MILF
Tleno you motherfucker, don't do it again! And hai...

Not to mention that at least 10 people tried to nullify it by replacing with with a space.

Level 18
But still, everyone gets spammed with other people's stupid welcomes messages. And I'm not planning on ignoring that program of yours every time I log in just because others want to have their ego satisfied by giving them an imaginary friend.

Level 35
Yes, but that's no reason to keep Lirch on the chat. Like I said before: When there's a server reset, everybody rejoins and the entire page is spammed with his retarded messages.

Now, that is invalid because Pyritie set Lirch to greet people once per day. If an entire page rejoins due to a server error (which creates quite a large volume of spam itself), Lirch greets only people who weren't present before or didn't recieve a greeting.

OHMAFIG
LEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEENKIIIIIIINS
Sho_Op Da Wo_OP
GRABBIN PEELZ!!!
Please.. Someone, KILL me!..

Why are these offensive? Of course, setting greeting messages to spam is an option, but that can be limited. And such small values of spam usually occour with, or without a chatbot.

Level 18
It's not. Pyritie set him to greet people once a day every time Lirch logs in. So if Lirch rejoins, he greets everyone again, which does cause a lot of spam.

Who's talking about offensive? It's spamming... That's what this entire thread is about.

If you say we should keep Lirch, just because spamming will happen, then you're missing the fact that you encourage people to spam with Lirch.
Let's say a building is burning and there are people inside. You know you can save half of them. Are you doing nothing because people are going to die anyway?

Level 35
It's not. Pyritie set him to greet people once a day every time Lirch logs in. So if Lirch rejoins, he greets everyone again, which does cause a lot of spam.

Whatever. That does not change the fact that once the whole page gets filled with blue "x has joined the channel" messages and all the users go "OMG wut happend????", Lirch's welcome messages hardly increase the level of spam.

If you say we should keep Lirch, just because spamming will happen, then you're missing the fact that you encourage people to spam with Lirch.

That's not the case. I'm just saying it's better for people to live out their spam using Lirch (which also somewhat limits them) than doing it in public, so getting rid of the chat bot is not necessary. Even if this thread achieves anything (which I highly doubt), the volume of spam will not decrease. I don't see a problem with Lirch and I wouldn't bother if he disappeared either, but do you recall the last time when a decision to ban Lirch was made? Even more spam erupted.

Let's say a building is burning and there are people inside. You know you can save half of them. Are you doing nothing because people are going to die anyway?

It's more like I have a chance of saving at least one. Despite that, you seem to be aiming to save them all and look for a solution, but it turns out wrong and accidentally sets the neighbouring house on fire too. Seriously, this thread won't achieve anything besides more drama.

Level 18
So people should spam the chat instead of the forums? That's not solving the problem, that's just moving it to some other place.

As for that burning building example: Ofcourse you try to save as many as possible. That was exactly my point. So if there's any chance to reduce spam by removing Lirch (which will be quite some chance), we should take it and not allow it because people are spamming anyway. By keeping Lirch, you just give people an excuse to spam and thus, you make it allowed and even encouraged.

Level 35
What I'm saying is not that people have an excuse for spamming. If people spam, which they do with or without Lirch, let them live it out in the legal zone, just like with graffiti. I don't mind Lirch being banned though, but you'll see that it will only increase the level of spamming, as people adapted to the chat bot. Creating it was a bad idea, but it's too late to remove it.

I believe I made my point. This is just going in circles. This thread is just senseless dramaing about a senseless thing. Do not want.

Level 16
Lirch has messaged three times the past 50 minutes. I should definitely ban him for spamming. [/sarcasm] Now, seriously, if you look at the volume Lirch actually messages greeting, it is far from spamming. And your argument of irrelevant messages is invalid. You realize I would have to kick about ~200 people a day for irrelevant messages?

~Snap

Level 18
@Pyritie: But the bot is still part of this community, which does not belong to you. If you create a virus it belong to you, but it's not up to you to decide whether or not he's allowed to stay.

@oh_snap: If 200 people per day intentionally give annoying irrelevant messages per day, you indeed should.

Level 14
Indeed, debode is right. If a user enters the chat, he is usually greeted by Lirch, MasterHaosis and people who know that member. Should we ban them just because they greet somebody? Also Lirch can inform some users of the chat that the particular user has entered the chat, as some users, me being one of them, usually ignore the blue letters.

And aren't you taking it a bit too far? I mean, it's just a set of welcome message, in an irrelevant chat on the internet. Is it worth all of this?

Level 30
What's spammy bout that? D:
http://widget.mibbit.com/manager/
Create your own chat and moderate it yourself. There will be no lirch, I promise.

Lirch is useless... people like to joke about it etc ... It's a bit like the
icon_biggrin.gif
Do you want to take away the nooblolz? What kind of a person are you? D:

Status
Not open for further replies.