• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helping The GI in chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Many people join the chat after few hours of registration and when they do, if the chat is empty from chat mods they will feel unwelcome and that people are ignoring them on purpose, others because of multiple accounts without them knowing that its against the rules (cases like people who forgot the password of an old account).
usually when I face such a case I CnP a message that I created and whisper it to them:
"Hello, you are globally ignored because you are new (ignored for the first week of joining) or because you have a second account, just post your case here http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/admin-contact-367/ and ask the admins about your case, and your problem will be solved. (no one can hear you in chat except few members)."

Many times when the chat is without chat mods or they are busy or afk these people have no guidance to help them so I was thinking about the Chat Bot Lirch (or some other bot like the dead Hakeem bot).
Lirch is known as a useless bot that only greets users and annoy others.

The question is, can we make Lirch "detect" GI users when they join and auto-whisper that message to them (with an addition "I am just a bot")
Lirch does not need to be able to see what the GI user is typing or become a chat mod himself, but he is a Program in chat and should be able to be have some changes that allow him to do the job.

This will make it easier for the chat mods, the GI users and actually make Lirch useful for once.

Level 18
Or like I said: something that checks if any globally ignored user enters the chat to give those users a whisper (even without Lirch or Hakeem or The_Reborn_Devil around).

Level 35
I disagree with Lirch's usage for this. I believe however, that GI users should indeed be given a voice, most likely an official voice, as Lirch is "Pyritie's Bot" and is specifically so.

No private Bot should have the ability to do this. An official HIVE alternative should be devised. A Bot is not the only option either.

Giving all moderators the ability to see GI users would be helpful, and perhaps respected users, since they can help them better than a bot.

I believe however, that GI users should indeed be given a voice, most likely an official voice
In case you haven't noticed, the whole point of GIing someone is so they don't have a voice.

No private Bot should have the ability to do this. An official HIVE alternative should be devised. A Bot is not the only option either.
Define "official HIVE alternative". Who's going to build it/maintain it?

Giving all moderators the ability to see GI users would be helpful, and perhaps respected users, since they can help them better than a bot.
There isn't really anything to "help" them with besides telling them that they're GI'd and that they should go post in admin contact.

Level 11
Ok, why are new users GIed.

I didn't have that experience since I joined hive to access a restricted page, and I became active several months afterward.

Oh and, maybe there can be an auto message that send a PM or a VM to new user, informing him about GI.

Level 22
I can see them in the list to the right, but I can't see the "XXX has joined the channel."
So I would need to do something smart to detect when a globally ignored user enters.
I do have an idea though.

Can't explain it now, I'm going to bed.

Level 31
Who needs a bot or a mod. Just have the server send an automated message. Well yeah, I guess that is kind of a bot, but still.

Private bot: What if he "unplugged" the bot? Plus, doesn't the owner have to be present in chat for the bot to function?

Moderators: I honestly doubt that any of the moderators here would even care. It just puts more labor. More labor = more drama.

Just make a server message system.

This analogy shall help. When it comes to customer service, it's either the "yes/no" bot, or the annoying Indian guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.