• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

You've got to be kidding me -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I'll play with it, in any case. We'll work to get it so that it doesn't infringe upon normal chat conditions, but will still prevent spamming on an obscene level. (The likes of which I've already seen this system save us from on two occasions since implementation) I get the picture, guys, it'll be tweaked a bit; but seriously, this is going nowhere now, so I've reported it to be locked.

Level 13
How does your own foot taste?

Quite good actually, like Reeses.

How does not having concrete evidence taste? I'm still only believing it happened when I see it with my own eyes. Even if the entire forum said it happened multiple times, I won't believe it until I see it myself.

Level 24
Does that mean I have to stick to romance novels instead of live-action fictional text-based vampiric sex?

Level 10
What new feature? I have never received such a message. Instead of typing like:

SomePerson: Hey!
SomePerson: RandomGuy...
SomePerson: Can you help me?
SomePerson: With some triggers.
SomePerson: Please.

Type like this:

SomePerson: Hey, RandomGuy, can you help me with some triggers, please?

Level 27
Spam is not defined by the frequency of messages, but rather their content.

Notice how we have different rules for spamming and double-posting in the forums?

A time limit does not stop spam, it only makes all messages less frequent. Sure, there is less spam, but there are less "valid" messages as well.

I'm still only believing it happened when I see it with my own eyes. Even if the entire forum said it happened multiple times, I won't believe it until I see it myself.
One up, I participated.

Level 17
Users should be able to make their own channels. These channels can be set to a password and people can join different chatrooms.

Accordingly the creator of the chat room is the moderator, that way we kill both problems. The users can organize the chat room and solve issues themselves and we get the people who don't want to be restricted by anything make up their own channels for what ever they want.

Probably impossible or too hard to code but I think it's a cool idea.

Level 36
Ok
Here's my point
I don't usually
Talk like this
In chat
Instead...

I usually find myself writing longer sentences (like this) about my topic fairly quickly.

And then when I write out another whole long sentence, it gets cut off and I have to type it out again. I'm a very fast typer, so it's not REALLY that big of a deal, I could definitely live with this feature, but it's still annoying.

You are talking too fast, please slow down.

OMG this is getting really annoying!!! I can't say what I want to say, especially in a "debate", because by the time my message actually gets through, everyone has moved on to another topic!!

(30 seconds later)

And then when I write out another whole long sentence, it gets cut off and I have to type it out again. I'm a very fast typer, so it's not REALLY that big of a deal, I could definitely live with this feature, but it's still annoying.

And if you care about the impression this site makes on new users, removing little inconveniences like that is a good idea. There are many better ways to cut down on spam, such as having more than one chat moderator so there is almost always one active.

Level 35
I have received reports that this thread is going dangerously off topic, has a good amount of trolling, and near-flaming.

Please keep this thread civil, or I shall request that it be closed and you will have none to blame but yourselves.

So if you want to continue this topic, and to have your voices heard on this new and annoying chat feature, remember:

"Play nice, or you will be put in timeout"

Now, back to the topic at hand, and have a pleasant day, and conversation.

-Elenai Lefein-

Level 14
~Void said:
I mentioned earlier in this topic that Control+Z recovers lost messages. Also, I type very quickly, but it has never interfered with my conversations. Clearly you all and I are doing something vastly different, as you claim it always impedes your conversations and mine are never hindered. I also tested it to make sure it applied to me and it most certainly does.

Level 36
Notice that the point of my message was to counter that very point you just made, which is seemingly unrelated to what I said. My point is that I can live with this, it's not THAT bad, but it's a little annoying and there's no reason for it. Spammers will still spam regardless of this feature, it's not fixing the problem, it's patching it. Not exactly a good idea...

Level 14
~Void~ said:
Notice that the point of my message was to counter that very point you just made, which is seemingly unrelated to what I said.
What are you talking about? I wasn't making a point against you nor a point in general. I was stating that I don't encounter the problem you have, which means we must be doing something different. I don't see where you get off being so defensive for no reason.
~Void~ said:
Spammers will still spam regardless of this feature, it's not fixing the problem, it's patching it. Not exactly a good idea...
No matter what, you can't eliminate something like that perfectly. And the problem becomes interesting if you just promote a dozen chat moderators, since then who keeps the chat moderators in line? The admins that are on for a few minutes a day? Spammers will always keep spamming and flamers will always keep flaming, that goes without saying. Guaranteeing that someone is online (who can handle it objectively) at all times is impossible, and promoting too many people so that someone is online at all times isn't viable from an administration perspective considering those available to promotion.

So please, have some respect for the fact that people are trying very hard to keep things reasonable and are doing a good job. This sort of system is an autonomous way to help them out, and it does so by keeping the quantity of messages at a manageable level. It helped keep the election debate very manageable the other night while I was unable to be there for a period of an hour. I'm sure every one of them except Poot hates the system and has whined about it in this thread. By the time I came back they were all spewing line after line of junk, but at a level that I could sort through it and ban accordingly.

I will repeat myself only one more time: we will tweak it so that it is less intrusive, but we will not make it so that it is nigh-absent. If you can handle that, good, if you can't then I am sorry.

Level 36
What are you talking about? I wasn't making a point against you nor a point in general. I was stating that I don't encounter the problem you have, which means we must be doing something different. I don't see where you get off being so defensive for no reason.

No matter what, you can't eliminate something like that perfectly. And the problem becomes interesting if you just promote a dozen chat moderators, since then who keeps the chat moderators in line? The admins that are on for a few minutes a day? Spammers will always keep spamming and flamers will always keep flaming, that goes without saying. Guaranteeing that someone is online (who can handle it objectively) at all times is impossible, and promoting too many people so that someone is online at all times isn't viable from an administration perspective considering those available to promotion.

So please, have some respect for the fact that people are trying very hard to keep things reasonable and are doing a good job. This sort of system is an autonomous way to help them out, and it does so by keeping the quantity of messages at a manageable level. It helped keep the election debate very manageable the other night while I was unable to be there for a period of an hour. I'm sure every one of them except Poot hates the system and has whined about it in this thread. By the time I came back they were all spewing line after line of junk, but at a level that I could sort through it and ban accordingly.

I will repeat myself only one more time: we will tweak it so that it is less intrusive, but we will not make it so that it is nigh-absent. If you can handle that, good, if you can't then I am sorry.

It seems we are both arguing different arguments, or we both misunderstand what each other is saying. I think the time limit between messages should be 3-5 seconds, no more, no less.

Level 14
~Void~ said:
I think the time limit between messages should be 3-5 seconds, no more, no less.
That would mean that more would get filtered out by the system than currently, which doesn't quite fit with your other posts.

Level 14
Teh_Ephy said:
Make respectable forum moderators chat mods?
Many of them are already, as a matter of fact, but many of them are on at the same time and not on during the spam hours when people may be trying to have a solid conversation and get interrupted by perpetual harassment.

Anyways, we will also be adding new chat moderators to the mix, though I'm not about to tell you who we're considering for such positions. I believe that the new chat moderation and this antispam system (with tweaking) could work together to help keep the chat a more amiable environment more of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.