• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I was playing with the thought of having amphibious tanks for a while, but it is very hard to implement since you can't limit the distance a unit can travel in water (theese kind of tanks would only travel short distances in the water, and could not travel on open sea).
Also, balance-wise, japan is very strong in many other fields such as navy, infantry (with the help of an officer) and a very decent airforce, so the lousy tanks was just a drawback intended to even this out.

Japan should have really good defenses, and good light infantry that are fast moving and cheap. Their navy and naval aviation were also top notch. Weaknesses were artillery, armor, and logistics.

Level 4
http://www.worldinflames.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=185&p=1060#p1060

-
fingolfin said :

Alright, now that beta is up and running i figured i would start this thread where you can post your game resumés for us and others to enjoy!
Simply write a summary of the game you just played, which nation attacked who and how, which tactics were used, what nations laid the heaviest blows, etc. The reason for this is for people to be able to share game strategies and stories, but also for us to see if there are any trends in which nations die first and such - if there are any aspects of the game that just seem a bit too rigged and in need of balance.

Have fun playing!

Forgot Something :

Philippine-Map.gif

Perfect Map Of The Philippines

304175_312637582085526_100000178593409_1441313_2046588999_n.jpg

Last edited:
Level 2
http://www.worldinflames.se/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=185&p=1060#p1060

-
fingolfin said :

Alright, now that beta is up and running i figured i would start this thread where you can post your game resumés for us and others to enjoy!
Simply write a summary of the game you just played, which nation attacked who and how, which tactics were used, what nations laid the heaviest blows, etc. The reason for this is for people to be able to share game strategies and stories, but also for us to see if there are any trends in which nations die first and such - if there are any aspects of the game that just seem a bit too rigged and in need of balance.

Have fun playing!

Forgot Something :

Philippine-Map.gif

Perfect Map Of The Philippines

304175_312637582085526_100000178593409_1441313_2046588999_n.jpg

Ehhh what should this exactly mean?

Level 22
That is really wierd since people have been playing that version for over a month without problems :O

Or maybe vuorma installed a trigger that does:

JASS:
If GetPlayerName(GetLocalPlayer) == "xRiotZx" then RUIN THE GAME FOR HIM TROLOLOLOLO!

I'll paste the error message if you like.

Also that brings up a silly question, can you run a trigger with a condition searching for the name of a certain player, like that Jass snippet, and actually have it work?

Level 22
Yes, GetPlayerName naturally returns the name of the given player. It is quite easy to namespoof past it though, especially in single player. I actually believe one of the BAR members even took the "I_Love_Cat" name on US East just to be able to play the closed beta (as that would get them past the name check).

Yeah, I did that in another map made for our clan. The maker went MIA.

In a couple of weeks.

It will boast a number of great features, including:

*V2 Rockets!
*Ju88 bomber for germany
*Brand new awesome button art for the "hero" menus, that make them look more integrated into the UI
*some well-needed balance for africa to make it easier for Italy to conwuer it
*new terrain in different areas
*starting game menu where you vote for different modes, so that you can finally play with locked alliances (to prevent backstabbing)
*possibly the research system
*various bugfizes

..and much much more!

Level 22
In a couple of weeks.

*V2 Rockets!
*Ju88 bomber for germany
*Brand new awesome button art for the "hero" menus, that make them look more integrated into the UI
*starting game menu where you vote for different modes
*various bugfizes

..and much much more!

There's a bug with the plane's system, I have no idea the cause, but they stop in mid air and freeze occasionally, they won't accept the order to bomb either, it's seems like their movement speed goes to 0, they won't land at an airfield by manual command either.

I got bored and started screwing around in SP on the map since redownloading, that was the only major bug I encountered.

Yeah, it is quite widely known and very puzzling. Somehow, the plane looses reference to its struct, and then they are not included when the system loops through the linked instances and move them, but it prevents the plane to move, since that is handled by other triggers (the move order never goes tghrough to the plane, i just register it as a target coordinate and then tell the plane to stop).

Level 22
Yeah, it is quite widely known and very puzzling. Somehow, the plane looses reference to its struct, and then they are not included when the system loops through the linked instances and move them, but it prevents the plane to move, since that is handled by other triggers (the move order never goes tghrough to the plane, i just register it as a target coordinate and then tell the plane to stop).

I see.

Level 2
In a couple of weeks.

*V2 Rockets!
*Ju88 bomber for germany
*starting game menu where you vote for different modes, so that you can finally play with locked alliances (to prevent backstabbing)
*possibly the research system
*various bugfizes

..and much much more!

Sounds awesome guys :goblin_yeah:
I am already looking forward!

Level 9
In some post you said France would be controlled by US in the beginning of the game. Is it still true or they'll just remain neutral?

EDIT: Oh, and how goes the merchant ships' system?

Level 12
In some post you said France would be controlled by US in the beginning of the game. Is it still true or they'll just remain neutral?

EDIT: Oh, and how goes the merchant ships' system?

I think we never said that (although I've heard such suggestions) o,o
France will remain neutral and we're pretty happy with it as of now.

I think we pretty much have the merchant system on hold right now, much other things that we're closer to bring in :)

Level 9
In WiF, they are very dependant on trade and maintaining naval superiority. Playing as this nation gives you many options - you can choose to help both Great Britain in Africa, aid China against Japan, or do a classic D-Day invasion in normandy to fight the german expansion. The US also controls france in the beginning of the game, which could prove dangerous for the Axis if they don't capture it before the allied income kicks in.

From: http://www.moddb.com/mods/world-in-flames/news/us-army-summary

:p

Level 8
Hell no, UK has so much ground already!
Stuff in africa, singapore, india, AND the british isles that are so hard to take..

Africa should be monetarily worthless, and I have no idea why you gave French North Africa to the UK, that's just cruel and unusual punishment for Italy.

Singapore and Hong Kong should be big parts of the UK's income, India shouldn't be worth very much, and the British Isles should be virtually un-takeable, that's realistic.

Africa has lots of oil resources, and that is the reason it was contested in the first place. I might strip britain of the french colonies (i saw them as allied on ww2 maps, and didn't consider the fact that they were french), although then we get back to the issues with having half the map being neutral (= not too fun in my opinion).

All cities generate equal ammounts of currency as the rest of their size. Singapore is no exception, although it is a very useful naval base for the british in the pacific.
The most common scenario right now is that britain completely ignores all their units in the pacific and just goes all-in in Africa and the rest of Europe. Plans for next version is that Italy will have no problem capturing Africa if they commit to it, while Britain can take it if they use all their resources to train an army there and if Italy doesn't do the same (although this is a great risk for GB, since he will loose if Italy has indeed commited and then be vulnerable elsewere). This way, perhaps helping China will seem equally worthwhile as capturing Africa.

Level 5
Map is amazing so far, best of the map is the mass mover :D
however, there are some things that can be improved:

-Explosions dissipate too quickly, they should last longer
-Projectiles. You are using wc3 ingame projectiles like the gyrocopter's bomb, remove them and place custom projectiles, cuz they definitely dont fit. the battleship projectile is good.
-Battleships are too weak against structures
-Battleships should have a skill or something to bombard like they always do in movies. they shouldnt fire structures pointing at them
-You should do something to avoid model clipping between ships, every map has it, it looks horrible, and this map shouldnt have it as it is a great quality map.
-The small bomber should have a "bomb terrain" ability in order to attack tanks or heavy units, its just an opinion, I dont know if it will mess with ingame balance

These are just a few details to make an amazing map, the only bug I found was the planes stopping, but I know you are aware of that.
If you like these suggestions, I can give you more on the next days :)

Ok here's my response:

@Everything about the projectiles: i totally agree. New projectiles will be fixed, although i will try to work on making them unique so that you don't always get that SC2 explosion (which is awesome though, but it could become repetative).

@Battleships: i will look into this, but battleships are intended mainly as a sea superiority vessel and i don't want it to be too effective against structures as that could cause imbalance in places like small islands, where you could basically cover the entire ground decimating everything on it. In cases like Iwo Jima, battleships actually had minimal effects to the japanese fortifications as the shells weren't quite adapted to be used for that purpouse.

@Bombard ability: that is what we used to have, but it turned out to be too much micro. It didn't look that epic, and it is also very complicated to make the turrets work in a way that allows them to spin independently of the ship.

@Model clipping: Yeah, i hate that too, but the thing is that warcraft collision is spherical, which means that for the model to never clip, the sidewards collision has to be as wide as the length of the ship, which is very impractical since ships are so long and thin. What i have done is to compromize by giving them a colission radius that is about 2/3 of the ships length where you kinda balance the ammount of clipping with a practical sidewards collision.

@Bomber: i am assuming that by small bomber you are refering to the dive bomber. They can already attack tanks and structures, but do so using the phoenix fire ability which selects targets randomly. I know that this can br frustrating whenever you want to focus down those pesky AA's, but it is a very lightweight solution which is also guaranteed to be bug free.

Thank you for your opinions!

EDIT: @xRiotZx: the reason for that is that battleships use armor piercing ammo, which has reduced damage to buildings. I will change "secondary" (anti-ground) attack to siege, so that it is more effective agaisnt land fortifications.
And i dunno about the damage part, they kill off them destroyers pretty fast!

Level 9
I'd say you guys should write some sort of FAQ or Help for Noobs in F9, where you would explain why they lose oil, how they get resources, the public grievance and that kind of shit. I know it sounds too much generic, but may be helpful.

Level 8
Africa has lots of oil resources, and that is the reason it was contested in the first place. I might strip britain of the french colonies (i saw them as allied on ww2 maps, and didn't consider the fact that they were french), although then we get back to the issues with having half the map being neutral (= not too fun in my opinion).

Any oil that there is in Africa was not tapped into at this point in time. There was oil in the Mid East yes, but even then, Britain got most of it's oil from the US. Back then, USA was like the leading supplier of oil in the world. The Middle East had just begun to develop their oil industry, and most of the oil in Africa had yet to be discovered or tapped into. Italy was just beginning preparations to tap into Libya's oil when war broke out.

All cities generate equal ammounts of currency as the rest of their size. Singapore is no exception, although it is a very useful naval base for the british in the pacific.
The most common scenario right now is that britain completely ignores all their units in the pacific and just goes all-in in Africa and the rest of Europe. Plans for next version is that Italy will have no problem capturing Africa if they commit to it, while Britain can take it if they use all their resources to train an army there and if Italy doesn't do the same (although this is a great risk for GB, since he will loose if Italy has indeed commited and then be vulnerable elsewere). This way, perhaps helping China will seem equally worthwhile as capturing Africa.

Well Britain should be able to win in Africa and play defensive in Europe so long as they maintain minimal forces in the Far East.

Basically Britain can play offensive on 1 front and defensive on the 2 others, if we're being realistic here. By 1943/44 that should be 2 fronts, and by 1945, 3 fronts. All of that was facilitated by US aid and Commonwealth manpower of course.

Ok here's my response:

@Everything about the projectiles: i totally agree. New projectiles will be fixed, although i will try to work on making them unique so that you don't always get that SC2 explosion (which is awesome though, but it could become repetative).

Sounds good.

@Battleships: i will look into this, but battleships are intended mainly as a sea superiority vessel and i don't want it to be too effective against structures as that could cause imbalance in places like small islands, where you could basically cover the entire ground decimating everything on it. In cases like Iwo Jima, battleships actually had minimal effects to the japanese fortifications as the shells weren't quite adapted to be used for that purpouse.

Battleships were the farthest thing from sea superiority weapons in WWII. That's what Japan thought and look where it got them. The carrier became the most important vessel in naval warfare during WWII. Carriers, cruisers and destroyers won the battles, not large cumbersome battleships. You'll also notice that it was actually destroyers that provided most of the NGFS during WWII, rather than battleships.

@Bombard ability: that is what we used to have, but it turned out to be too much micro. It didn't look that epic, and it is also very complicated to make the turrets work in a way that allows them to spin independently of the ship.

Agreed, a costly luxury.

@Model clipping: Yeah, i hate that too, but the thing is that warcraft collision is spherical, which means that for the model to never clip, the sidewards collision has to be as wide as the length of the ship, which is very impractical since ships are so long and thin. What i have done is to compromize by giving them a colission radius that is about 2/3 of the ships length where you kinda balance the ammount of clipping with a practical sidewards collision.

Ikr, such a pain in the ass.
@Bomber: i am assuming that by small bomber you are refering to the dive bomber. They can already attack tanks and structures, but do so using the phoenix fire ability which selects targets randomly. I know that this can br frustrating whenever you want to focus down those pesky AA's, but it is a very lightweight solution which is also guaranteed to be bug free.

Thank you for your opinions!

With regard to the bombers. You should really have an He 111 rather than a Ju 88, the former being a heavy bomber, comparable to what the allies have, and the latter being a medium bomber.

EDIT: @xRiotZx: the reason for that is that battleships use armor piercing ammo, which has reduced damage to buildings. I will change "secondary" (anti-ground) attack to siege, so that it is more effective agaisnt land fortifications.
And i dunno about the damage part, they kill off them destroyers pretty fast!

Battleships tended to have a hard time hitting fast moving destroyers. If they did, it was GG though.

Level 12
With regard to the bombers. You should really have an He 111 rather than a Ju 88, the former being a heavy bomber, comparable to what the allies have, and the latter being a medium bomber.

The He 111 might of been called a heavy bomber by the luftwaffe, but generally as a medium bomber. The He 177 however, was a heavy bomber.

Regardless, see our earlier posts about this, we did choose the Ju88 mainly because all european axis nations (in wif) used it - Finland, Germany, Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.