• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any oil that there is in Africa was not tapped into at this point in time. There was oil in the Mid East yes, but even then, Britain got most of it's oil from the US. Back then, USA was like the leading supplier of oil in the world. The Middle East had just begun to develop their oil industry, and most of the oil in Africa had yet to be discovered or tapped into. Italy was just beginning preparations to tap into Libya's oil when war broke out.

While this might be true, we need something valid to spar the fight in africa. Even if it wasn't the actual production of oil that drew nations, it was the potential of this. If i make Africa useless, then there will be no battle for Africa/afrika korps/desert rats/awesome alamein battles/etc. and Italys role in the entire game will be pretty useless (and although that would be realistic it would not be fun, lol!).

Well Britain should be able to win in Africa and play defensive in Europe so long as they maintain minimal forces in the Far East.

Basically Britain can play offensive on 1 front and defensive on the 2 others, if we're being realistic here. By 1943/44 that should be 2 fronts, and by 1945, 3 fronts. All of that was facilitated by US aid and Commonwealth manpower of course.

Dunno about this, British fleet got their asses handed to them in the pacific pretty early, and Japan captured Hong Kong already in 1941. Most of africa save for the areas beyond el Alamein (along the eastern tip) were captured by the axis until commonwealth forces counterattacked from the west around the turning point of the war. Britain should have problem with prioritizing what colonies to save and which to keep, since keeping the whole cake will be very difficult (and innapropriate from a balance perspective).

Battleships were the farthest thing from sea superiority weapons in WWII. That's what Japan thought and look where it got them. The carrier became the most important vessel in naval warfare during WWII. Carriers, cruisers and destroyers won the battles, not large cumbersome battleships. You'll also notice that it was actually destroyers that provided most of the NGFS during WWII, rather than battleships.

Yes, this is true, but i did not say that the carrier isn't the most valuable naval weapon in the game (it is), just that the battleships are the ships with the highest firepower and greatest bulk - because seriously, even though actual gun-to-gun engagements were rare in the later part of the pacific war, a round from a battleship would travel farther and be much more potent in ripping apart the hull of another ship than the tiny projectile of a destroyer.
The reason destroyers would be more common in naval fire support is ofcourse, because they were more common in general, but that doesn't mean that they were as effective.
In any case, you will still find that battleships have no AA support on their own, and that if built in too large excess, will only soak up your oil income. They are slow and cumbersome, and less suited for raiding merchant ships than the much swifter cruisers and destroyers. So in most ways, you still get your will through.

With regard to the bombers. You should really have an He 111 rather than a Ju 88, the former being a heavy bomber, comparable to what the allies have, and the latter being a medium bomber.

The He111 was a medium bomber while the Ju88 was used for all kinds of purpouses (including heavy bomber). Also, as Vuorma said, it was used by almost all axis factions during the war, as opposed to the He, which was only used by germany.

Battleships tended to have a hard time hitting fast moving destroyers. If they did, it was GG though.

Destroyers have a very high DPS and are very effective as small support vessels in a fleet where battleships take the hits while destroyers kite and deal some extra damage (by "kite" i mean use their speed to run away when they are too damaged, since they cannot outrange any other vessels).

Level 2
Hi guys.
I was thinking that you should give the soviet union carriers or some other special unit because it is unfair that all the other nations can build virtually an unlimited amount of planes.

Just a suggestion.

Level 8
The He 111 might of been called a heavy bomber by the luftwaffe, but generally as a medium bomber. The He 177 however, was a heavy bomber.

By comparison yes, but the He 177 was produced in much smaller numbers.

Regardless, see our earlier posts about this, we did choose the Ju88 mainly because all european axis nations (in wif) used it - Finland, Germany, Italy.

Fair enough.

While this might be true, we need something valid to spar the fight in africa. Even if it wasn't the actual production of oil that drew nations, it was the potential of this. If i make Africa useless, then there will be no battle for Africa/afrika korps/desert rats/awesome alamein battles/etc. and Italys role in the entire game will be pretty useless (and although that would be realistic it would not be fun, lol!).

Well Italy's incentive was the Suez Canal, which would make East West communication very difficult, as well as the oil of the Middle East.

Dunno about this, British fleet got their asses handed to them in the pacific pretty early, and Japan captured Hong Kong already in 1941. Most of africa save for the areas beyond el Alamein (along the eastern tip) were captured by the axis until commonwealth forces counterattacked from the west around the turning point of the war. Britain should have problem with prioritizing what colonies to save and which to keep, since keeping the whole cake will be very difficult (and innapropriate from a balance perspective).

That was what I say saying, Britain should only have the resources to be on the offensive on 1 front. In the African theater they kicked Italy's ass initially, and then were forced to divide their forces when Greece was invaded. Rommel capitalized on this when he launched his offensive in April. The rest of 1941 would be a stalemate at the Egyptian-Libyan border until Operation Crusader sent him back to the starting point. Again he caught the British off balance and pushed them all the way back to El Alamein, where a lack of supplies and the British material advantage beat him.

Yes, this is true, but i did not say that the carrier isn't the most valuable naval weapon in the game (it is), just that the battleships are the ships with the highest firepower and greatest bulk - because seriously, even though actual gun-to-gun engagements were rare in the later part of the pacific war, a round from a battleship would travel farther and be much more potent in ripping apart the hull of another ship than the tiny projectile of a destroyer.
The reason destroyers would be more common in naval fire support is ofcourse, because they were more common in general, but that doesn't mean that they were as effective.
In any case, you will still find that battleships have no AA support on their own, and that if built in too large excess, will only soak up your oil income. They are slow and cumbersome, and less suited for raiding merchant ships than the much swifter cruisers and destroyers. So in most ways, you still get your will through.

Fair enough.

The He111 was a medium bomber while the Ju88 was used for all kinds of purpouses (including heavy bomber). Also, as Vuorma said, it was used by almost all axis factions during the war, as opposed to the He, which was only used by germany.

By comparison to the allies both were mediums, but the He 111 was classified as a heavy, and did have a higher payload IIRC.

Hi everyone!
Remember last week when i said that "i will post pictures of the V2 rocket tomorrow"?
Well, it so happens that on it's way through cyberspace, the post encountered a wormhole which had warped the time-space continuum causing the miliseconds it would take to reach the hive server to appear as an entire week. This is why this message might appear a bit delayed to you, but i can assure you, it has been there all along.

Anyhow, here it is, the V2 rocket ramp in all it's glory!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am done with all the animations except launch and death, and getting it into the game should be a quick process. After all it is not rocket science...
...oh, right!

Attachments

• War3ModelEditor 2011-11-17 11-56-37-51.png
    War3ModelEditor 2011-11-17 11-56-37-51.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 158
  • War3ModelEditor 2011-11-17 11-56-45-90.png
    War3ModelEditor 2011-11-17 11-56-45-90.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 183
Level 22
Hi everyone!
Remember last week when i said that "i will post pictures of the V2 rocket tomorrow"?
Well, it so happens that on it's way through cyberspace, the post encountered a wormhole which had warped the time-space continuum causing the miliseconds it would take to reach the hive server to appear as an entire week. This is why this message might appear a bit delayed to you, but i can assure you, it has been there all along.

Anyhow, here it is, the V2 rocket ramp in all it's glory!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I am done with all the animations except launch and death, and getting it into the game should be a quick process. After all it is not rocket science...
...oh, right!

Good explanation, better model.

In a couple of weeks. I have been away this weekend, and there is some other stuff going on that have kept me busy. Work on the Ju88 is coming to a conclusion though, and i will perhaps post WiP's of it soon. I am also thinking of maybe modeling the KMS Bismarck...

Also, i have been thinking, and i will most likely be adding some kind of anti-infantry weponary for transport trucks, just to make them worth a damn.

@Empire_Jackal: Thank you for reminding me of this, i will indeed be making a post about the Soviet and German army!

Level 4
Version 1.1 Notes

Posted by: Vuormalainen | 17 Oct 2011, 00:00

Changes:
Minor changes in forces displayed in the game lobby.
Japan and China now starts as allied with the rest of the Axis/Allied team.
Made the multiboard smaller in width.
Extended the name of all nations to their full at that time. Example: Italy > Kingdom of Italy
Added the name of the played nation after the players name. Example: Bob (United Kingdom)

Balance:
Taiwan now has one small and one medium city, rather than two large(!).
Greately increased vision granted by watchtowers.
Newfoundland is now neutral rather than US controlled.
Many paficic islands that are very close to eachother have now been connected through shallow water to decrease the need of transporting units tiny distances. Examples of theese are all the phillipine islands (except Luzon), Java and Sumatra, the hawaiian islands, and two of the solomon islands.
Fixed balance issues with different tank unit roles (most considerably the light tank). Light tanks are now less effective against other tanks while medium tanks have gotten a little more bang for their buck. The attack speed of tank destroyers has also been slightly increased.
Dublin has been changed from large to medium city.
Some finnish cities such as Vyborg have had their size increased from small to medium.
Added Jakarta as a neutral city on the island of Java.
Added a new passage between Iran and western India.

Bug fixes:
Changed team of some units belonging to wrong ones.
The Fatality system now properly registers starting units.
Fixed a bug which caused the Tribute City ability to completely remove the city being tributed.
Capital cities now correctly give income.
Fixed a bug that caused all units entering the middle western US entrance to spawn in the middle of the paficic ocean, rather than in eastern US.
Heavy- and Dive bombers can no longer capture cities or structures, only damage them down to 20%.
Fixed a bug that allowed airplanes to land at enemy airports if ordered to do so.
Fixed some faulty tool tips and hotkeys.

Level 6
I am a BIG fan of WW2 maps. Unfortunately this map sort of let me down....

Before you say: " Another troll guy......" I do HAVE suggestions and questions for you.

(So far I have tested USA USSR and Germany)

Tanks move slower then infantry. I have issue with this as I could not use rushing tactics since my man would go ahead of the tanks and......I hate bunkers.....

And I confirm this and a flat plain run.

What you should do is:

Light tanks go way faster. But cut their armor or fire-power by just a bit.

Mediums should go faster the infantry but slower then light's.

Heavy's should go just a bit faster then infantry, so they can support them although rough terrain would slow them down.

And oh for USA heavies you should go with the M26 Pershing. M18 actually is a tank destroyer not a heavy tank. In fact it's armor is thinner the the Stuart.

Panzer I only has machine guns. Change the name to Panzer II. Your model looks like it anyway XD.

The priest needs a longer range. Just add 150 and it will do.. I think.

Dive Bombers only have ONE bomb. Make that ONE attack more deadly. I used dive bombers the blow up whole armies......Including the flaks.

Planes should be weaker. I mean the dive bombers and fighters. Bombers are fine.

AT guns should deal less damage to Infantry and more to tanks. AT guns aren't scaring of people enough.....

Same goes to the bunkers. It's possible to win the game with Soldier and a couple of Flamers. (Hence the name World In Flames??)

Yeah so far you need to fix these. I really like how it's presented. It's just toooooooooooooo slow. And Good Luck. Happy New YEAR!!!~

Oh, sorry. Merry Christmas.

I am a BIG fan of WW2 maps. Unfortunately this map sort of let me down....

Before you say: " Another troll guy......" I do HAVE suggestions and questions for you.

(So far I have tested USA USSR and Germany)

Tanks move slower then infantry. I have issue with this as I could not use rushing tactics since my man would go ahead of the tanks and......I hate bunkers.....

And I confirm this and a flat plain run.

What you should do is:

Light tanks go way faster. But cut their armor or fire-power by just a bit.

Mediums should go faster the infantry but slower then light's.

Heavy's should go just a bit faster then infantry, so they can support them although rough terrain would slow them down.

And oh for USA heavies you should go with the M26 Pershing. M18 actually is a tank destroyer not a heavy tank. In fact it's armor is thinner the the Stuart.

Panzer I only has machine guns. Change the name to Panzer II. Your model looks like it anyway XD.

The priest needs a longer range. Just add 150 and it will do.. I think.

Dive Bombers only have ONE bomb. Make that ONE attack more deadly. I used dive bombers the blow up whole armies......Including the flaks.

Planes should be weaker. I mean the dive bombers and fighters. Bombers are fine.

AT guns should deal less damage to Infantry and more to tanks. AT guns aren't scaring of people enough.....

Same goes to the bunkers. It's possible to win the game with Soldier and a couple of Flamers. (Hence the name World In Flames??)

Yeah so far you need to fix these. I really like how it's presented. It's just toooooooooooooo slow. And Good Luck. Happy New YEAR!!!~

Oh, sorry. Merry Christmas.

I pretty much disagree with everything you just said.

*Tanks are supposed to move slower than infantry - it is frankly the greatest benefit that infantry has, and mobility in general was a very crucial aspect of infantry combat. They can sneak past defenses and take cities very quickly and easily outflank the enemy, especially if used with transport trucks. Tanks in the real was were often much slower than infantry, especially the heavy tanks, and especially in terrain. If anything i agree that the light tank could be faster, just cause of it's role, but then it just so happens that it is! (160 speed of light tank and 125 of infantry). Medium tanks are equal in speed to infantry which still is not bad. Heavy tanks are slow since they are meant to be used in a more defensive role. I might agree that light tanks should be weaker though, but i also believe that has already been fixed in the upcoming build.

*In-game, the M18 is actually named "tank destroyer", just like every other tank labeled as "heavy tank" in this thread. The Tiger Tank is currently the only one labeled as "heavy tank". Also, the pershing was not put in until very late and is not a very prominent tank of ww2. The M18 is currently balanced as the fastest but least resiliant of the tank destroyers.

*It is called Panzer I because that is the model i made. I could agree that you would rather have a tank with a barrel (the Panzer I was outdated by the start of the war) but when i made it i figured a tank with machineguns would seem more fit as an anti-infantry tank than one with a cannon.

*Artillery is already very strong, especially when used to guard river crossings. Since artillery are on tracks in this map, it doesn't matter if their range is that long as long as they outrange any kind of static defenses or other units in general. This is the first time i am satisfied with the balance of artillery, so i will not change it - if you had played against mass art in the beta you would agree.

*Seriously.. that would require a huge load of micro from the players side (i already have a stretch microing my heavy bombers), and it would take all the versatility away from them. I know it is not realistic, but it gives them a very clear role in the game, and besides, their bombs do crap damage in my opinion (it takes several bombs to kill a single infantryman). Planes are also extremely fragile and vulnerable to the AoE damage of the flaks, if you have a blob of planes against 3-4 flaks/flak jeeps, you will get blown up in seconds. Planes are very expensive, and loosing a group of them in a single fly-by is a huge loss. In extract, if you have the habit of keeping a small group of AA jeeps in your army, you will be safe from dive bombers - they are mainly used harass enemies that lack that kind of air cover. Fighter planes are also brutally effective against dive bombers and will take them down fast if you react in time. Fighters need to be strong to be effective in the first place, since you have to account for the time it takes for them to launch and reach their target, and the fact that you sacrifice storage space that could have been used for bombers. Otherwise, people (me anyways) wouldn't use them.

*I MIHGT agree on the AT guns, but to be honest, if you place them on the enemys flank or rear, their penetration damage might insta-kill a tank or disable it severly. They are also dirt cheap and are a nice buy for when you are short on oil. I don't think AT guns should be any more fearsome than tanks themselves, since they are basically just the barrel on wheels, and currently they deal more damage to a heavy tank than a normal medium tank would. They are also crap against infantry and have been all along, although in the real war they were often used in anti-infantry roles (loaded with canister rounds, effectively turning it into a giant shotgun).

*I don't know what bunkers you have been facing, but they are hellish to me and kill off infantry very easily. Flamers are good vs bunkers simply because they are supposed to be - it is the only way infantry can take on them (and yet, flamers often die before they reach them because of their crap range). Also, flamers are inherently crap against anything that isn't infantry or structure.
A bunker can kill small groups of light and even medium tanks, and if backed up by a repairing engineer, they can hold the line for very long. I often resort to heavy bombers or artillery if i want to take on those bunkers, and if they were any more effective, it would be too easy to build invincible walls of them.

And what with the game being slow?
It takes a long time to play, yes, but the pace is tremendous. Units move quickly, planes fly fast, and tanks explode in short sequence. With well-planned surprise attack from the sea or through a hole in the line, borders can shift incredibly quick. The game is very rewarding for bold plans which is what i love about it. Combining different types of units is completely crucial for succeding and every aspect just ties together to a greater image (especially now with merchant system coming!).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts though, and merry christmas to yourself!
Nice to hear people are testing our map!

EDIT: if you want to see the unit stats in detail, you can visit this page!

Level 6
........ You could have just said: " Balancing....." But yeah thanks.

Good details there. About the AT gun, how bout' a field gun? Or infantry gun or sort.....

It's like a uhh cannon for infantry. Big and short barreled. Good against average Joes, bad against........Tanks.

P/S About the bunkers, I use Kamikaze Infantry. Scare a lot ppl with that XD.

Compano of heroes? Blasphemy! I play men of war, much better ww2 game, play it once and CoH will appear pretty bland and arcade-ish in comparision. ;)

Speaking of kamikaze, you ever tried japan? xD
Their officers have this really fun banzai ability where all nearby soldiers go into melee mode and use bayonets!
Field gun sounds cool, but i don't want to complicate things just now. One gun will be enough, and then we use the rest of map space for more unique units such as mortar teams or models for chineese infantry/italian tanks/german battleship.

Yeah that pic was really cool btw, i DO hope we can add paratroopers, but it is a matter of how many slots we have in the UI at the airfield.. each plane needs one build icon, one launch, and one auto-launch (no auto-launch for paratroopers though), and also there is the rally icon. Also, it is a matter of pathing since you wouldn't be able to drop soldiers on unpathable grounds or in areas that would in other ways be innapropriate/imbalanced. I think i have a way of solving this though.

Level 6
Men of war? Looks pretty similar. Might try it.

Btw have you really tried CoH? That game's a blast. I really like it. Although it did need more missions.

EDIT: What's the main difference?

Level 5
Men of war? Looks pretty similar. Might try it.

Btw have you really tried CoH? That game's a blast. I really like it. Although it did need more missions.

EDIT: What's the main difference?

Reffering to that comparission.
If we're talking about realism then MoW just wins this fight.

CoH has less glitches, a bit more balancing and faster style of gameplay, just like Fin said, more arcadish. I haven't played it for a long time but it was just too much to get bored with, most MP matches and SP missions bring the same feeling of repetetive style of gameplay, unless you play with some PROs or team.

In Men of War you can actually feel the power of the tanks, one single APC is really enough reason to force you to make a tactic. You have more control on every soldier, you can even customize his inventory, but for example smg gunners can't really shoot with rifles, at least not accurately. It's really advanced, although your soldiers make you feel like you're controlling bunch of total retards, they can run themselves into the mg placement or stand in front of a tank.

The only thing annoying about this game is the disproportion of forces during the missions,
Defending: you have to stand still with BT-2 and some infantry with stuff(mostly AT guns or bazookas etc.) which used by your soldiers... well better do it yourself - so you defend against dozens of tanks and hundreds of troops.
Assaulting: If you have to attack some base, it's heavily defended :
  • Tigers
  • JagdTigers
  • dozens of APCs
  • Hundreds of troops
  • Artillery
  • Planes
  • Mines
  • Reinforcements

And to make it even easier, you control a small group of soldiers and you've got epic tanks like T34-85 or an armoured truck M3!
Isn't that epic?

After all, MoW is just more complicated but it's great, it's a well optimized game, even if some battles are really huge, and there are great modifications for it.

If I had to pick the better one, it would be definitely be MoW.

Some offtopic, but I think it's not a crime here.

Don't forget that in MoW, you can actually go direct-control mode and control individual soldiers with mouse/keyboard like in a third person game!

I have indeed played CoH, but i just felt that it was a bit too stylized... germans spoke english, some units were unproportionally strong, base building felt strange.. there is just something with MoW that better captures the essence of ww2 combat.

For instance, every soldier really is.. well, a soldier that can fit any role - if you clear out an enemy bunker, you can man it and use it against them. You can even repair disabled enemy tanks or artillery and man them with your own units!
I even found that you can detach the machineguns from your armoured transports and have your soldiers wield them, lol. Tank use gas and ammunition that might have to get replenished in longer battles. Houses have modeled interior, and entering them will remove the roof to give you insight on what is going on inside. If a house is in the way of your tank, just plow through it like a boss. There is so much depth to it, but you don't HAVE to micromanage it all - if you choose not to, the soldiers will do it themselves at some points. Still, it gives the feeling that every soldier is unique and has a personality (you can pick up enemy units caps and helmets if you like, lol).

I only have MoW Assault Squad, and it is a bit more balanced than regular MoW (infantry is more useful and tanks are easy target to AT guns and artillery). Maps are more straightforward though and less "small squad vs entire army"-like which i think is sad. I will prob buy vanilla MoW too just to get a piece of that :)

Level 22
Don't forget that in MoW, you can actually go direct-control mode and control individual soldiers with mouse/keyboard like in a third person game!

I have indeed played CoH, but i just felt that it was a bit too stylized... germans spoke english, some units were unproportionally strong, base building felt strange.. there is just something with MoW that better captures the essence of ww2 combat.

For instance, every soldier really is.. well, a soldier that can fit any role - if you clear out an enemy bunker, you can man it and use it against them. You can even repair disabled enemy tanks or artillery and man them with your own units!
I even found that you can detach the machineguns from your armoured transports and have your soldiers wield them, lol. Tank use gas and ammunition that might have to get replenished in longer battles. Houses have modeled interior, and entering them will remove the roof to give you insight on what is going on inside. If a house is in the way of your tank, just plow through it like a boss. There is so much depth to it, but you don't HAVE to micromanage it all - if you choose not to, the soldiers will do it themselves at some points. Still, it gives the feeling that every soldier is unique and has a personality (you can pick up enemy units caps and helmets if you like, lol).

I only have MoW Assault Squad, and it is a bit more balanced than regular MoW (infantry is more useful and tanks are easy target to AT guns and artillery). Maps are more straightforward though and less "small squad vs entire army"-like which i think is sad. I will prob buy vanilla MoW too just to get a piece of that :)

Men of War = Hardcore Micro

Company of Heroes = Moderate Macro

They are both for different types of gamers... I have to lean on your side on this one Fin, I'm more of a micro player, controlling small squads of troops and inflicting maximum damage, is my style of play in RTS games.

Level 6
Ah..... MoW is more RPG like....Okay.....Sounds good.

Attack a base that has Tigers and Jagdtigers? Uhh........

Let's go back on-topic. I'm shivering thinking of this "base".

Btw, JU-88 is not the stuka right? What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.